Prayut’s plea for farmers to stop growing second rice crops

Lite Beer

Prayut’s plea for farmers to stop growing second rice crops

15-11-2557-13-37-22-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- With growing concern that the upcoming drought this year is going to be serious as many dams reporting low water storages, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha appealed to farmers not to grow second rice crop as they will not get irrigation water supply.

Government spokesperson Capt Yongyut Maiyala said the prime minister was concerned with the drought situation in the country and urged related agencies to handle the situation and prohibiting off-season farming.

He said the prime minister has ordered related ministries to set up counter measures to solve the situation and prevent any crises, especially providing assistance to farmers and careful irrigation management.

The agencies responsible to the handling of this situation are the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, and the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Meanwhile the director-general of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) Chatchai Promlert said that the government has issued counter measures to cope with the current drought situation.

According to him, approximately 9,535 villages are expected to be affected by the drought due to lower precipitation, a decreased water reserve in the reservoirs, and the lack of water supply in some areas.

He said that about 300,000 agricultural households would be affected from the drought.

Therefore, the department proposed several counter measures including providing employment in other areas for the farmers living in affected areas, promoting the vocational training and the support of plants and livestocks, and the planting of soil-conditioning plants.

The department will be holding vocational training for farmers, starting on 21 November 2014 in Suphan Buri and Ayutthaya province.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Defence had called upon all related agencies to assist by providing personnel and equipment support.

The ministry had already planned for drought preventing measures, including forest planting, canal excavation, reservoir creation, substitute tap water production, the elimination of water hyacinths, and the construction of new water storages in many areas.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/15-11-2557-13-37-22-wpcf_728x410.jpg

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-15

As mentioned it is not all farmers who are or will be short of water.

Around where I am a good number of farmers get their water from quite large ponds rather then from the CP river.

At present the ponds are full, harvested paddy is full of water as are the drains around the paddy.

Today I saw a farmer pumping water out of half grown paddy into a big pond because the water level is to high in his paddy.

Others are working paddy up prior to sowing, so while a second crop will be down overall it will not be cut out completely.

• Like 1

What's a "low water shortage?" For that matter, what would a "high water shortage" be?

Maybe it's a water shortage, but then I don't speak Thai. tongue.png

... low water STORAGE ... not shortage.

Why would they built a low water storage facility ?

Better to make one that can hold sufficient quantitys

• Like 1

This isn't particulary amusing. If he's asking rice growers to stop growing rice........ because of drought (or more likely surplus supplies that cannot be sold), then he should be offering compensation before opening that big endless gob of pig shit swelling from his mouth in the last 2 months.

Jeez... I hated PTP and Shin Corp........ but this guy takes the biscuit without any forethought. What a complete and utter mess this has become.

"He said the prime minister has ordered related ministries to set up counter measures to solve the situation and prevent any crises, especially providing assistance to farmers and careful irrigation management.

The agencies responsible to the handling of this situation are the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, and the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation."

Pls tell me, what has the Ministry of Defence to do with asking rice farmers to stop production? ........ ohhhh rhetorical Q. Sorry. sad.png

What was it Dorothy said? Or was it Alice in Wonderland?

Wouldn't be rather stupid to plant rice knowing that you won't have enough water to grow it?

Unless of course you want the farmers to waste their money and time for no return?

• Like 1

What's a "low water shortage?" For that matter, what would a "high water shortage" be?

I don't know what "a low water storage facility" is. Where did they build one?

• Like 1

The walls of the barns are bulging with stored rice that is proving difficult to sell, so any excuse to prevent there being more rice on the market will help. Meantime - as someone else said - the rice farmers will have to eat mud.

As soon as governments start meddling in commercial affairs it's always a disaster :(

• Like 1

The walls of the barns are bulging with stored rice that is proving difficult to sell, so any excuse to prevent there being more rice on the market will help. Meantime - as someone else said - the rice farmers will have to eat mud.

As soon as governments start meddling in commercial affairs it's always a disaster :(

Thought storage for rice was 90% empty ,at least after all the green and substandard rice is sold off to make biodiesel and laokao

As soon as governments start meddling in commercial affairs it's always a disaster sad.png

They can't eat mud. There isn't enough water to make mud.

• Like 2

As soon as governments start meddling in commercial affairs it's always a disaster sad.png

Thought storage for rice was 90% empty ,at least after all the green and substandard rice is sold off to make biodiesel and laokao

Seems to be some obfuscation here -- I saw an article the other day talking about how difficult the government is finding it to sell off the rice mountain. Who to believe? wink.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776250-thai-rice-pledging-schemes-cause-682-billion-baht-loss/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/776393-pridiyathorn-admits-pledged-thai-rice-is-difficult-to-sell/

Edited by jpinx

How about farmers suggest getting rid of half the generals (didn't I read Thailand has more generals than the US? Bit of a drain on economy). And reduce number of police (another post said has 10's of thousands more cops than comparably populated England). Counter proposals are always fun.

How about farmers suggest getting rid of half the generals (didn't I read Thailand has more generals than the US? Bit of a drain on economy). And reduce number of police (another post said has 10's of thousands more cops than comparably populated England). Counter proposals are always fun.

With all the cops that are in an inactive position they need a million more by the time it gets 2016

IN our village, they stopped all water in the canal from the dam. The canals are dried up and we are just 250m from one of the largest water reservoir in Sakon Nakhon.

We never had a water shortage. A fish farm was completely cut out from water 3 days ago and f this goes on for another week she will loose 600,000 Baht.

Sakon Nakhon and Udon have no shortage of water, specially in the area of Nam Um Dam and Nong Han.

• Like 1

I think he is referring to low water levels in various northern dams

http://reliefweb.int/report/thailand/no-run-flood-waters-north-swell-chaopraya-river

IN our village, they stopped all water in the canal from the dam. The canals are dried up and we are just 250m from one of the largest water reservoir in Sakon Nakhon.

We never had a water shortage. A fish farm was completely cut out from water 3 days ago and f this goes on for another week she will loose 600,000 Baht.

Sakon Nakhon and Udon have no shortage of water, specially in the area of Nam Um Dam and Nong Han.

time to start pumping a 4000 litres in the pickup and haul em over yourself

oh that would be the holes the fish gather in out on the farms haha I enjoy draining them out to get the fish ....

oh that would be the holes the fish gather in out on the farms haha I enjoy draining them out to get the fish ....

Love it got 4, 2 cm fishes felt sorry threw em back

Thailand has more general officers per soldier than any other country in the world. And many of the general officers do not have any assignments. They were promoted as rewards or relationships.

with the current prices farmers get for their rice / here, paddy is 6, jasmine 8/...I doubt many would be willing to grow even if there would be flood...

Similar situation where we are in Buriram province. Maybe the farmers will HAVE to try and grow a second crop to make up for the shortfall in price at the rice barons mills. Prayuth recommended 15000 baht per tonne for jasmine, 8000 to 9000 baht per tonne just doesn't do it

with the current prices farmers get for their rice / here, paddy is 6, jasmine 8/...I doubt many would be willing to grow even if there would be flood...

Similar situation where we are in Buriram province. Maybe the farmers will HAVE to try and grow a second crop to make up for the shortfall in price at the rice barons mills. Prayuth recommended 15000 baht per tonne for jasmine, 8000 to 9000 baht per tonne just doesn't do it

Last years jasmine crop + 100% per kg, how very strange there are so many insistent on supporting the message farmers did not benefit from the rice scheme

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand has more general officers per soldier than any other country in the world. And many of the general officers do not have any assignments. They were promoted as rewards or relationships.

And add to that military officers serving in government positions get both a military salary and a civilian salary. Gen. Prayuth is also reported to be on 10-15 company boards.