'Martial law won't muzzle opinions'

Lite Beer

'Martial law won't muzzle opinions'
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK: -- CDC member says it should not hinder gathering of people's views for charter

Opinion is split on whether the imposition of martial law and media censorship will hinder the prospect of the people drafting the new charter.

Thawilwadee Bureekul, a Constitutional Drafting Committee (CDC) member, responded to public criticism over the junta's interference with the Thai PBS programme on national reform, saying the issue would not affect the ad hoc committee's work collecting people's opinions on the charter.

"I am confident that people will not be afraid to express their opinion because they won't be worried about the consequences," she said.

She said the junta's recent action in response to the Thai PBS show would ultimately benefit the constitution drafting process by not permitting people to point fingers and criticise one another.

The CDC member said she sympathised with those who had called for the lifting of martial law, as it would clear the way for stages where people could express their opinions.

However, she was also aware of the security aspect because the lifting of martial law might lead to security issues.

Ekkarat Changlao, a National Reform Council (NRC) member, said the junta's censorship of the Thai PBS programme would create additional complications when collecting the public's opinions because people might become cautious.

The NRC and CDC are now collecting people's opinions on the charter.

A subcommittee and ad hoc committee members for the NRC and CDC respectively have been appointed to engage with the public.

Thawilwadee, who is also chairman of ad hoc committee for people's engagement and opinion, said there must be definitive rules and processes that are in accordance with martial law when collecting opinions.

She said any political forum and gathering of more than five people must have junta permission.

Ekkarat Changlao, NRC member from Khon Kaen, said the body had concluded following a meeting that regional subcommittees would be appointed to collect people's opinions on the drafting of the charter.

Ekkarat said there would be two subcommittees for each region, although the northeastern region might have three due to its larger population.

He said NRC provincial members had proposed having a 15-member subcommittee for each province that would be chaired by NRC provincial members.

However, some NRC members objected to the proposal because they viewed the working framework as inefficient and as a result the subcommittees would comprise regional members.

Akanat Promphan, a People's Democratic Reform Committee spokesman, said he welcomed the opportunity to express an opinion on drafting the new constitution.

Akanat said PDRC representatives that included Satit Wongnongtoey and Thaworn Senneam would meet with the CDC on November 25.

He said key PDRC proposals would mostly centre on political reform, including political party reform, the revision of the party-list member system, the decentralisation of power, involving the public more in the political process, and corruption regulation.

The spokesman said the continued imposition of martial law did not provide obstacles for both the PDRC and the red shirts.

The junta was likely to be flexible in relation to political party meetings so they could appoint representatives to engage with the CDC, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Martial-law-wont-muzzle-opinions-30247860.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-16

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I am confident that people will not be afraid to express their opinion because they won't be worried about the consequences," she said. I am confident that you lady, along with your cohorts couldn't give two shites what would happen to the people as long as you get what you and the junta want.

• Like 2

"What about the PBS host who lost her job because the junta didn't like her attitude since her show contained criticism ?"

You should know by now ANY AND ALL criticism of any Poo Yai above your "station" is not cool in Thai Culture.

PBS should be only giving "participation" ribbons to the World's Greatest Military Dictatorship...

'muzzle opinions'? don't dogs wear 'muzzels'? the censorship laws are there to control the pack

the charter will be 'extremely successful' because:

• no dissent or debate will allowed
  • no advertising or promoting the opposite view
  • all control of 'message' through the Junta
  • no demos
  • no TV debates
  • a controlled vote with a loaded question

result? 'happy' people who overwhelmingly supported the New Charter - my guess is 90%+ 'muzzled'? never!

"Thawilwadee, who is also chairman of ad hoc committee for people's engagement and opinion, said there must be definitive rules and processes that are in accordance with martial law when collecting opinions."

No, most definitely not. How on earth are you expected to "see around corners", clear obstacles, show flexibility - however you wish to express it - if you are confined by the rigidity of martial law. I don't think this lady understands very much.

• Like 1

It would depend on where you are voicing your opinions in New York or down on Silom, if you have a loud mega speaker ute with screaming amplification noise polluting the atmosphere in Silom my guess you will be arrested, there is a young schoolgirl who has set up an opposition to the education departments new lessons on social responsibilities and has quite a following, she is getting harassed daily by the military, unfortunately Thai's haven't heard of this as there is a media blackout on descent or popularly know as , freedom of speech bah.gif

• Like 2

'muzzle opinions'? don't dogs wear 'muzzels'? the censorship laws are there to control the pack

• no demos
  • no TV debates

result? 'happy' people who overwhelmingly supported the New Charter - my guess is 90%+ 'muzzled'? never!

Aint it funny that you and your anti PM friends can post this way on TVF. it is so restricting to dissent ???

Remember to compare --Yingluck had no TV debates, just saying. Do your posts go through the PM before being printed here ??

BS propaganda post. I have openly criticized the Island murders, martial law, No knock on my door, YOU have to think in the manner it's done that counts.

• Like 1

Dear Prayuth & Co.

Please stop pretending!! Don't think we will be fooled by your "democratic" commitee's all full of "the good people" from the far right.

A coup was staged in the interest of a few powerful people, some like it some don't, but please but your uniforms back on, instead of pretending listening to the people, who you really don't care about at all!!

I would respect honesty much more, so why not say it as it is, "My way or the highway"

He has done for one year, get over it and wait. Then you can go out and vote cheesy.gif

"I am confident that people will not be afraid to express their opinion because they won't be worried about the consequences," she said.

Meantime- in the real world...

In the real world normal people use diplomacy-constructive criticism this is what she means. NOT OTT interpretations, they are the types of extremes not needed at this time.

• Like 1

""I am confident that people will not be afraid to express their opinion because they won't be worried about the consequences," she said."

So the journalist who was taken off air by TPBS yesterday was removed because.....?

Who's guess here in Thailand-----interpretations---or some comments similar to those printed by the minority of TVF members.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

• no demos
  • no TV debates

Aint it funny that you and your anti PM friends can post this way on TVF. it is so restricting to dissent ???

Remember to compare --Yingluck had no TV debates, just saying. Do your posts go through the PM before being printed here ??

BS propaganda post. I have openly criticized the Island murders, martial law, No knock on my door, YOU have to think in the manner it's done that counts.

Ginjag "Aint it funny that you and your anti PM friends can post this way on TVF. it is so restricting to dissent ???"

Then read below from the forum moderator

Let's all be careful on this one folks please, please, please . . . thanking you . . . wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

Gijag, there are non so blind as those who WILL NOT see

Put Ginjag on the ignore list,.... case closed....

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

• no demos
  • no TV debates

Ginjag "Aint it funny that you and your anti PM friends can post this way on TVF. it is so restricting to dissent ???"

Let's all be careful on this one folks please, please, please . . . thanking you . . . wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

You are only wanting to read as you want. The mod is pointing out HOW it is said -in what manner it is posted---that's all.

Again your interpretation has to be OTT.

Persons especially visitors/tourists etc should NOT be so strong in their vocal dissent to the Thai PM, constructive criticism YES.

• Like 1

You are only wanting to read as you want. The mod is pointing out HOW it is said -in what manner it is posted---that's all.

Persons especially visitors/tourists etc should NOT be so strong in their vocal dissent to the Thai PM, constructive criticism YES.

Perhaps I should have quoted John Heywood (1546) in full, "There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know"

• Like 1

Put Ginjag on the ignore list,.... case closed....

Good no probs, talk amongst yourselves, I will post very little, as in only topics that appeal to me, the reason I post against you lot of PM haters is because of your rhetoric.

As visitors your opposition is not needed, and no good feedback comes from you guys.

You see you people that post this way are only thriving because of the posters that reply to your slagging posts, without us your high and dry.

You will have to answer your own posts.---strange lot.

Perhaps I should have quoted John Heywood (1546) in full, "There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know"

Try going out for a walk, lovely Sunday morning, listen to some golden oldie music -enjoy Quote all the BS you like your not doing yourself any favours.

All you guys do is to attack the Pm attack anyone who is reasonably happy with the government. Do not forget you are a minority.

The next election will make you lose face.

Try going out for a walk, lovely Sunday morning, listen to some golden oldie music -enjoy Quote all the BS you like your not doing yourself any favours.

All you guys do is to attack the Pm attack anyone who is reasonably happy with the government. Do not forget you are a minority.

Ginjag "The next election will make you lose face." If the next election is free, fair and open then I refer you to "The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know"

Ginjag "The next election will make you lose face." If the next election is free, fair and open then I refer you to "The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know"

The next election will be fair---but please tell me who will be eligible to stand ?? and who do you fancy the chances of winning ??

I have nothing to lose, If your choice does not win YES you will be the one who's face will drop.---- YOU see I only want good governance, hence my past objection to the SHINS. This at the moment is not at all bad. Put aside all your hate for the military, do you honestly feel it is that bad ??

Ginjag "The next election will be fair---but please tell me who will be eligible to stand ??"

Well that is the question, I suspect that the Thai voters will have the option of voting for Retired General...insert any name you like or Khun Ying.... Insert any name you like. The Sino-Thai members of the Amart will pre-select the 'candidates', a situation not dissimilar to what is causing the protests in Hong Kong at the present time.