Bill Cosby stays mum on sexual assault allegations

Lite Beer

No has said he's guilty or innocent. The people making the allegations should be heard though and it should not be swept under the carpet (as these things so often are) as women trying to make a quick buck. If he's got nothing to hide then he's got nothing to worry about, has he?

As far as I know, Bill Cosby holds no influence over the LA Police Department.

Can you suggest a reason why investigators would be motivated to sweep allegations of sexual assaults under the rug as you suggest happens quite frequently? I seem to recall many rapists convicted of rape over the past 50 years so how does that fit your claim?

Thanks for clarifying.

Who's talking about investigators? I'm talking about society as a whole and right now you're holding a pretty big broom lifting the carpet yourself.

If Bill Crosby hasn't raped anyone or committed any sexual assault then I'm sure he can sleep soundly at night assured that nothing will ever come of it.

Wait.

Now you are suggesting I am sweeping IT under the rug?

What exactly am I supposed to be sweeping under the rug?

No alleged victim of sexual assault has approached me with a complaint.

And even if they did, unless it had just occurred and they were in immediate danger, the only action I would legally be allowed to take would be to urge them to file a complaint with the proper Law Enforcement agency.

I am beginning to think maybe you are a bit of a nutter.

Erm, we're taking about Bill Cosby and society's predilection to try and make this sort of thing 'go away'. It's this rather sinister attitude, that it's kind of a joke, to play it down and to deflect it which I can see throughout this thread. You calling me a 'nutter' is a perfect example. Again this misogynistic tone which is troubling really. Let's let justice and the law take its natural course shall we?

As far as I know, Bill Cosby holds no influence over the LA Police Department.

Can you suggest a reason why investigators would be motivated to sweep allegations of sexual assaults under the rug as you suggest happens quite frequently? I seem to recall many rapists convicted of rape over the past 50 years so how does that fit your claim?

Thanks for clarifying.

Who's talking about investigators? I'm talking about society as a whole and right now you're holding a pretty big broom lifting the carpet yourself.

If Bill Crosby hasn't raped anyone or committed any sexual assault then I'm sure he can sleep soundly at night assured that nothing will ever come of it.

Wait.

Now you are suggesting I am sweeping IT under the rug?

What exactly am I supposed to be sweeping under the rug?

No alleged victim of sexual assault has approached me with a complaint.

And even if they did, unless it had just occurred and they were in immediate danger, the only action I would legally be allowed to take would be to urge them to file a complaint with the proper Law Enforcement agency.

I am beginning to think maybe you are a bit of a nutter.

Erm, we're taking about Bill Cosby and society's predilection to try and make this sort of thing 'go away'. It's this rather sinister attitude, that it's kind of a joke, to play it down and to deflect it which I can see throughout this thread. You calling me a 'nutter' is a perfect example. Again this misogynistic tone which is troubling really. Let's let justice and the law take its natural course shall we?

Far be it from me to stand in the way of the law.

You might recall I was one of the posters suggesting we trust investigators.

We share a common goal--we both want to remove "sinister" people from the streets.

Edited by ClutchClark

Perhaps I should have made it clear: my girlfriend at the time was hit on aggressively by Mr. Cosby. She came home visibly upset, and expressed fear of encountering Mr. Cosby again.

This part is NOT rumor or hearsay.

She subsequently learned from coworkers that Mr. Cosby had treated other CBS employees in a similar manner.

This is, of course, hearsay, but highly credible, given my girlfriend's experience.

Care to cross-examine, Clutchy-poo?

Don't bother.

• Like 1

Perhaps I should have made it clear: my girlfriend at the time was hit on aggressively by Mr. Cosby. She came home visibly upset, and expressed fear of encountering Mr. Cosby again.

She subsequently learned from coworkers that Mr. Cosby had treated other CBS employees in a similar manner.

This is, of course, hearsay, but highly credible, given my girlfriend's experience.

Don't bother.

When she came home "visibly upset and afraid" what did you do?

What did she do?

Did she report the aggressive behavior to her boss? To the police?

Did she stay home from the office?

Atleast on future days when he was on set?

Was your girlfriend racist? It was more common back then.

I don't have any idea if Bill Cosby is guilty or innocent.

I only take exception to some of the allegations and assumptions that are being made on here and presented as some type of proof of wrong-doing.

I will rely on investigators and the Courts to make that determination...and up til now, they have not.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

Don't bother.

What did she do?

I only take exception to some of the allegations and assumptions that are being made on here and presented as some type of proof of wrong-doing.

I will rely on investigators and the Courts to make that determination...and up til now, they have not.

Do you think it would be easy for someone to report it? You make it sound trivial like she had a cold or was feeling a bit sick. And it's this tendency to trivialise the issue which is worrying really. Imagine being a woman and working for a network and its biggest star aggressively hits on you. A star who is probably worshipped by the boss you want to report it to as they're making millions for the network and making your boss's life very easy. Imagine going down to the police station and saying "Hey you know Bill Cosby hit on me. Can you haul his ass in for.questioning? That'd be great. Thanks" Think about what you're saying, for just one moment.

• Like 2

If memory serves...

He was accused of drugging and raping 14 women decades ago and of fathering a child with one of the women who accused him.

The story "went away".

I assume big money was paid to make it disappear.

If he had proved his innocence then, it would have been a big news item.

We are all human, but this man has always put on a squeaky clean face. for the public.

Remember when he scolded and disowned "Cosby kid" Lisa Bonet when she grew up and did a sexy nude scene in a movie she stared in?

She was good...and looked great!

And Bill...she did not have to force anyone to have sex with her.

I strongly suspect he is guilty.

Lisa Bonetpost-147745-0-05299000-1416143010.jpg

Squeaky Billpost-147745-0-01610800-1416143298.jpg

What did she do?

Do you think it would be easy for someone to report it? You make it sound trivial like she had a cold or was feeling a bit sick. And it's this tendency to trivialise the issue which is worrying really. Imagine being a woman and working for a network and its biggest star aggressively hits on you. A star who is probably worshipped by the boss you want to report it to as they're making millions for the network and making your boss's life very easy. Imagine going down to the police station and saying "Hey you know Bill Cosby hit on me. Can you haul his ass in for.questioning? That'd be great. Thanks" Think about what you're saying, for just one moment.

If no complaint is made then no action can be taken.

That should not need to be explained to anyone here on TVF.

You appear to think most Americans condone rape and sexual assault.

In my almost 8 decades of life, I have never met anyone that condones rape or sexual assault. In fact, the very idea of it is revolting to myself and every American I have as a friend so I really don't know what to tell you.

Actually, after reading all your posts, I don't even know what it is you want. You have accused me of using a big broom to sweep something under the rug but I still don't know what it is I was supposed to have swept.

Do me a favor, go back and challenge Ulysses G, please.

What did she do?

You appear to think most Americans condone rape and sexual assault.

In my almost 8 decades of life, I have never met anyone that condones rape or sexual assault. In fact, the very idea of it is revolting to myself and every American I have as a friend so I really don't know what to tell you.

Actually, after reading all your posts, I don't even know what it is you want. You have accused me of using a big broom to sweep something under the rug but I still don't know what it is I was supposed to have swept.

If you re-read my posts nowhere does it say: "I think all Americans condone rape" either tacitly or otherwise. I'm glad rape and sexual assault revolts you as it does any right-thinking, sane person. So let's make sure anyone who is guilty (guilty being underlined, italicised, in bold) feels the full force of the law. Time, race and circumstance irrespective. That I hope we can all agree on.

Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor are MUCH funnier than Bill Cosby, but I loved Fat Albert on LP (long before the cartoon) when I was a kid.

I literally grew up on Cosby in the 1960. His humor is a generation earlier, and is devoid of the reliance of using F-Bombs, N-Bombs, and lewd jokes to get us to laugh. Don't get me wrong, I'm no prude. Murphy and Pryor are entertaining and have their place, but in the 1960s Cosby was family oriented humor. I probably first saw him on the Johnney Carson show (or maybe it was the Steve Allen show). It was a different time, a different brand of humor.

Sorry to hear the allegations. Power and money. I notice all charges were settled out of court with no criminal charges. I doubt the average America male could get away without a criminal trial. Money talks...just like Thailand. Eh?

Edited by connda

Don't bother.

What did she do?

Thanks, I couldn't have said it better.

However, it's wasted effort. Clutchy is logic-proof.

• Like 1

You miss the point. He has never been charged or convicted. Unless someone comes forth with conclusive evidence, he should be given the benefit of the doubt - like anyone else should be. Have you ever heard of the presumption of innocence?

I've heard of it and am also familiar with quite a traditional idea called "justice"; have you heard of this?

Rape or sexual assault is a traumatic experience for the victim and, because of it, a lot of the victims will suffer in silence not willing to come forward. These are the people that you called 'parasites' in your first post. You see I think that you come from a misogynist school of thought where women are kind of thought of as inferior people who were probably asking to be raped anyway and should just shut up and go away.

Steady on mate! My brother was accused by his daughter of molestation, she was 13, he went through hell knowing that the more he protested his innocence the worse it would be for him!

She retracted her statement on the steps of the courthouse, her excuse was, he promised not to get involved with another woman for 5 years after her mother ran away with a 19 year old boy but he only waited 3 years!

Where is your justice? Mr G is only supporting the idea that without evidence any accusation is merely hot air and might only be for self agridisment!

Calm down. sad.pngwai.gif

Sheesh! Who really cares if an 80 year old man goes to jail for life! Someone has made an accusation.........gasp! It must be investigated to the fullest extent of the law so that there is absolutely no chance of a guilty person getting away with it!

Mr 1979 grow up! You had a mindless rant and were called on it. Rather than "man" up and say that you might have over reacted you continued the rant, only as you went further into it you cooled down somewhat!

It wasn't even an interesting read. sad.pngcoffee1.gifwai.gif

What did she do?

You appear to think MOST Americans condone rape and sexual assault.

If you re-read my posts nowhere does it say: "I think ALL Americans condone rape" either tacitly or otherwise. I'm glad rape and sexual assault revolts you as it does any right-thinking, sane person. So let's make sure anyone who is guilty (guilty being underlined, italicised, in bold) feels the full force of the law. Time, race and circumstance irrespective. That I hope we can all agree on.

You appear to think my usage of "most" is synonymous with your usage of "all"--FYI, they have two different meanings.

What were you attempting to say in Post #31 then:

"Erm, we're taking about Bill Cosby and society's predilection to try and make this sort of thing 'go away'."

Edited by ClutchClark

I hope it is not true, but my gut says it probably is because there seems to be quite a number of allegations (which are always very difficult to prove because of the lack of 3rd party witnesses) -- and the fact that he has paid to make prior allegations go away (court settlement; non-disclosure agreements).

I heard the same from some left wing publications in Canada when the ghomeshi rape allegations which were vigorously defended but then a lot of prior relations came forward and backed them....

We tend to take sides in such cases defending those that we like, and attacking as evil bastards that we don't.

Again, I hope they are not true.... but I fear they probably are.

I hope it is not true, but my gut says it probably is because there seems to be quite a number of allegations (which are always very difficult to prove because of the lack of 3rd party witnesses) -- and the fact that he has paid to make prior allegations go away (court settlement; non-disclosure agreements).

I heard the same from some left wing publications in Canada when the ghomeshi rape allegations which were vigorously defended but then a lot of prior relations came forward and backed them....

We tend to take sides in such cases defending those that we like, and attacking as evil bastards that we don't.

Were any of these "accusations" made by the alleged victims to a Law Enforcement agency that can and do conduct thorough investigations every day for such offenses? It appears he has never been prosecuted, correct?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/showbiz/tv/bill-cosby-rape-allegations/index.html

According to CNN, "[Alleged victim] Barbara Bowman, said the abuse began after she turned 18.

Despite what she said was happening to her, she kept coming back. And Cosby and her agent financed her apartment in addition to supporting her acting ambitions, she said."

So an adult woman felt she was being drugged and raped by a man but continued to choose to spend time alone with the man after these alleged occurrences had begun?

Or is there another case of alleged rape against Bill Cosby that has a bit more credibility than this one?

Thanks

Edited by ClutchClark

I tend to take sides based on where the evidence leads. In this case, absent any proper investigation or reported assault, there does not appear to be much evidence of anything other than a woman choosing to remain rent free in a luxury apartment and have assistance furthering her acting career by an older man. Different countries have different names for similar types of relationships.

Andrea Constand

Tamara Green

Beth Ferrier

Barbara Bowman

I tend not to place much faith in items only found to be reported on in the entertainment section of the media.

Do you have anything you can post that has some more credible support than gossip tabloids (which is all that Google searches are pulling up)?

Thanks

Edited by ClutchClark

As I said, it is a gut feeling because rape tends to have very few witnesses -- and if one party can afford legal and PR teams that few of us can afford -- it tends to be a he said she said situation and even if it were "credible" you can be quickly made to look like you're not.... the fact that there is more than just one with similar MOs in play.... makes me think there is something there.

Private settlements tend to have clauses in them that prevent discussing ANYTHING about the case, so as soon as the case was settled - it would hinder any criminal investigation.

Sorry but criminal investigations "trump" non-disclosure agreements.

In other words, non-disclosure agreements cannot be enforced when the information was requested by an official investigation.

So, once again, I am not stating that Bill Cosby did or did not do what he is accused of; however, there did not appear to be evidence available to prosecute at the time and there does not appear to be new evidence available to allow prosecution today. The only place these allegations have ever found a platform are on social media outlets.

Some people here place great faith in social media. I do not.

Until you can show me the conclusive results of a criminal investigation and a Court finding then there is no case. The same allegations could be made against anyone--they could be made against you. They could be made against a teacher because a student received a bad grade. They could be made against a manager by a disgruntled employee upset they did not get a promotion. They could be made by a scorned lover. They could be made by an aspiring actress that did not get the part.

• Like 1

Private settlements tend to have clauses in them that prevent discussing ANYTHING about the case, so as soon as the case was settled - it would hinder any criminal investigation.

In other words, non-disclosure agreements cannot be enforced when the information was requested by an official investigation.

You really cannot be forced to testify, it happens everyday when some witness gets intimidated and will not testify.

The NDA is a contract, which if the person violates the settlement is void (even if it is law enforcement).

When criminal conduct may be exposed, the settlement (which is private) is often high enough that retrying the civil portion would lead to a considerable loss.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

You really cannot be forced to testify, it happens everyday when some witness gets intimidated and will not testify.

The NDA is a contract, which if the person violates the settlement is void (even if it is law enforcement).

When criminal conduct may be exposed, the settlement (which is private) is often high enough that retrying the civil portion would lead to a considerable loss.

Sorry, not the same thing.

In this instance, we are not talking about a "witness". We are talking about the actual alleged victim of the crime. You are suggesting they cannot file a complaint for a crime allegedly committed themself. That victim would have every right to report a crime and to provide testimony in a criminal proceeding AND even, assuming they didn't for the sake of argument, the only risk would be to be forced to return the amount received by Cosby.

Oooh, now I see what you mean. The accused might be less interested in "Justice" than in cold hard cash.

Which then brings us back to the original motivation--could her accusation simply been about gaining cold hard cash in the first place?

Credibility issue keeps surfacing.

Edited by ClutchClark

Sheesh! Who really cares if an 80 year old man goes to jail for life! Someone has made an accusation.........gasp! It must be investigated to the fullest extent of the law so that there is absolutely no chance of a guilty person getting away with it!

Mr 1979 grow up! You had a mindless rant and were called on it. Rather than "man" up and say that you might have over reacted you continued the rant, only as you went further into it you cooled down somewhat!

It wasn't even an interesting read. sad.pngcoffee1.gifwai.gif

Anyone looking for clarification (again) about where I'm coming from, take at this post. It basically says he's 80 years old so it doesn't matter what he's supposedly done leave the old codger alone.

You grow up. And while you're at it, get a sense of decency. I was very aware of what I said and stand by it so it was certainly not 'mindless'. I'm sure you'll agree if he's guilty of drugging and raping teenagers he should be investigated? Or are you saying, because he's 80, let's just wave it away and put it down to the fog of time?

Sorry, not the same thing.

In this instance, we are not talking about a "witness". We are talking about the actual alleged victim of the crime. You are suggesting they cannot file a complaint for a crime allegedly committed themself. That victim would have every right to report a crime and to provide testimony in a criminal proceeding AND even, assuming they didn't for the sake of argument, the only risk would be to be forced to return the amount received by Cosby.

Oooh, now I see what you mean. The accused might be less interested in "Justice" than in cold hard cash.

Which then brings us back to the original motivation--could her accusation simply been about gaining cold hard cash in the first place?

Credibility issue keeps surfacing.

If you actually hear any of Cosby's alleged victims talk a lot of them day they aren't interested in cash. Barbara Bowman has kept quiet for 30 years after allegedly being threatened to keep quiet and hasn't spoken out publicly until now. She was allegedly raped when she was in her teens. Lodging a complaint is not synonymous with paying a library fine, which you seem to think it is. Do you think you walk into the police station take a number and join the "Rape queue"?. In fact, due to the statute of limitations, in Barbara Bowman's case he can't be charged for the crimes. So the accusers are speaking out, maybe Mr Cosby ought to be brave enough to speak out too about what what he's been accused of, instead of silently shaking his head in a radio interview. As I've said previously if he's done nothing then he's got absolutely nothing to worry about.

Why would a guy like Cosby need to commit rape? he has all the money in the world and is famous. Supermodels would give it up to him, just to be around his fame and fortune. This story does not pass the smell test.

Men like Cosby think it is manly to make women. A supermodels want money these men like most on Thai Visa do not want a pro or think of themselves as a trick they rather force themselves on HISO Rape and seduction is very close

• Like 1

Who decides what conclusive evidence is?

A jury of your peers. Do you suggest that we start pronouncing anyone who is accused of anything guilty?

I thought we had already started doing this via the media, You no longer have a right to privacy if you're accused of crime in the US.

There needs to be laws in place that your name can't be released in the media until you have been found guilty. But the media uses the first amendment to trample all over the right to a fair trial by blasting out that someone is accused thereby poisoning the jury pool.