How do you deal with the heat? Seriously...

joeyg

One of the joys of living in Thailand is its perfect climate offering " an outdoor lifestyle " I am outside in the sun every day ( in fact i am about to take a gentle stroll to the beach as you are reading this post viewers......) Having lived in the Canary Islands for 20 years i spent about 5 days indoors due to storms! The sun is good for you and we all look better with a " cool suntan " ( nothing worse than looking like a " Rentaghost " ) Even the latest reports in Thailand suggest the Thais should start spending more time in the sun as it is extremely bad for you without some sunshine plus most Thais look better with a tan too!

One thing i can never understand is why anybody would choose Thailand as a place to live and not go outside and not enjoy the climate!? It's great for sunbathing on the beaches,lovely walks and perfect weather for bike rides ( bicycle ) Living in air con is the worst thing you can do then when you do go outside it feels even hotter! I would recommend getting out a bit more and start walking in the mornings but drink lots of water! ( 3 litres a day would be a good start! ) When living next to the sea it never gets too hot as you have the rather delightful " Sea Breeze " .Also rather than lots of showers start swimming more! fabulous exercise and there really is no excuse!

Farang Jaidee ( one of the suntan crew ...)

Maybe the worry of skin cancer make some folk stay out of the sun.

I know its changed the amount of time I spend sunbathing.

Also living in the Middle East tends to put you off the sun (continuous)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It never used to bother me as a younger man. I have noticed that it is getting progressively harder to handle at 62. I mean I don't want to move outside. I'm wondering is there something wrong with me or the body is just different.

I'm 5'10' 175 pounds. So only a little over weight. My trips over the last 20 years although frequent have never been over 30 days. and I've always been so relieved to get back to the nearly perfect climate of San Diego.

I do want to retire here and my friends who have lived here many years say I'll get used to it in 6 months. "My blood will thin out." Anyway I love Thailand but it feels after a few weeks the climate may be a deal killer. I don't want to live in an air conditioned room.

Any thoughts...

11 years + living in Thailand and I still sweat like a whore in church!

I am totally comfortable with just a fan most of the time.

I make sure to be active during the day. I run every morning at 0530.

I work a lot, if I overheat during my work day, I run home for a shower.

In other words, I don't let the heat slow me down too much. Hydration certainly is the key to life here.

It's only hot for 6 weeks of the year

If you use a/c all the time you'll feel the heat all the more when you go. I rarely resort to air conditioning and find that most of the time I don't really notice the heat. Still I suppose it's dependent on a large number of individual variables.

As someone else recommended, shower two to three times a day, something that quite a few farang have obviously never considered.

Edited by Suradit69

One of the joys of living in Thailand is its perfect climate offering " an outdoor lifestyle " I am outside in the sun every day ( in fact i am about to take a gentle stroll to the beach as you are reading this post viewers......) Having lived in the Canary Islands for 20 years i spent about 5 days indoors due to storms! The sun is good for you and we all look better with a " cool suntan " ( nothing worse than looking like a " Rentaghost " ) Even the latest reports in Thailand suggest the Thais should start spending more time in the sun as it is extremely bad for you without some sunshine plus most Thais look better with a tan too!

One thing i can never understand is why anybody would choose Thailand as a place to live and not go outside and not enjoy the climate!? It's great for sunbathing on the beaches,lovely walks and perfect weather for bike rides ( bicycle ) Living in air con is the worst thing you can do then when you do go outside it feels even hotter! I would recommend getting out a bit more and start walking in the mornings but drink lots of water! ( 3 litres a day would be a good start! ) When living next to the sea it never gets too hot as you have the rather delightful " Sea Breeze " .Also rather than lots of showers start swimming more! fabulous exercise and there really is no excuse!

Farang Jaidee ( one of the suntan crew ...)

Sir

Nothing i could add to that, other than if one is hairy, shave a bit more, and keep hair very short

It never used to bother me as a younger man. I have noticed that it is getting progressively harder to handle at 62. I mean I don't want to move outside. I'm wondering is there something wrong with me or the body is just different.

I'm 5'10' 175 pounds. So only a little over weight. My trips over the last 20 years although frequent have never been over 30 days. and I've always been so relieved to get back to the nearly perfect climate of San Diego.

I do want to retire here and my friends who have lived here many years say I'll get used to it in 6 months. "My blood will thin out." Anyway I love Thailand but it feels after a few weeks the climate may be a deal killer. I don't want to live in an air conditioned room.

Any thoughts...

In other words, I don't let the heat slow me down too much. Hydration certainly is the key to life here.

You sweat like a lady of the evening yet you only need a fan? Make up your mind. Your hot or not. Not both

bangkoks about what san diego or la would be, has been for the past two months at least

get a floor fan. you wont suffer with an industrial floor fan blowing through the house. relatively cheap to run. mever used ac regularly.

Edited by fey

Any thoughts...

You sweat like a lady of the evening yet you only need a fan? Make up your mind. Your hot or not. Not both

Evaporative cooling is not a new concept.

OP, may sound stupid, but lose the air-con for a few days.

If you become reliant on the air conditioning (or air cooling as you are using it for) as you appear to be now, you will never become properly acclimatized.

If you need to use the air con, set it only to a few degrees cooler than the ambient. Nothing worse for you, IMHO than jumping from 18 degrees to 35+ and vice virca......................wink.png

I've been in Thailand for 14 years, Bangkok and CM and it doesn't get any easier for me .I guess I am just not a hot weather person but I swim through what's laughingly called winter here.

The lack of any breeze is the main factor and the humidity. Where you live also has a lot to do with it.We live in CM but last week we had a few days in Chiang Dao 80 kms north of CM there was a constant breeze making it pleasant.In Bangkok the nightly min rarely falls below 26. With high rise,no air flow, and a zillion aircons chugging away is it any wonder

As other have said and its very important drink plenty of water at least 4 litres a day,wear cotton not polyester clothes,shower 3 or 4 times and get done what you have to do outside early in the morning.

I always shake my head at the difference between Kandahar and Pattaya (weather-wise). 50+ degrees in the direct sun, a 400 meter stroll to the dining facility and not a bead of sweat. Get to Pattaya, walk from my front door to the mailbox and I need to change my shirt and have another shower !

The biggest issue is the humidity. Over here there is like zero humidity and part of the problem is that your sweat evaporates long before it has a chance to bead and drip, whereas in Pattaya the humidity is often in the 70-80 range. Almost like walking through those "mist" machines they have in some places.

I have actually found it easier to acclimatize to cold conditions (like Canadian winters) than to hot, humid climates. Maybe genetics is partially to blame, or just tolerances that one gets used to early in life. Kind of like trying to teach an old dog new tricks.

That being said, as everyone else (almost) has mentioned, dress loose and light (and white when possible - absorbs less heat), drink copious amounts of WATER (not coffee or alcohol) and shower frequently (not only to cool your core temperature, but to wash off the dust and particulates that will accumulate on your skin when you are all hot and sweaty) !

I do think though that as we get older it is just natural that our bodies no longer function quite the same as in our youth. We aren't meant to live forever, even if living in Pattaya (or similar places) makes one feel like he's 20 years old again !

Anyone else overwhelmed by the climate?

Well......hmmmmmm yes its hard work but I suppose my problem is Im building and doing it myself and I find it stifling at times as Im in a very hot part of Thailand thats also very dry + my land is very hot locally.

Ive not gotten use to it yet in 8-9 years...........dont think I ever will........

JoeyG,

First, get outside. You will have plenty of time indoors when they nail the lid down.

Go Commando, shower 3-4 times a day, wear open toe sandals - please no socks, cotton shirts, light weight shorts.

Drink plenty of water - 4-5 litres per day, relax, perspire like the rest of us and live life to the full…

Think it depends where your home country is.

For us Aussies, the hot season isn't that hot.

My summer can hit 48 or more degrees, and sit on 44 degrees for several weeks at a time over summer.

Even Issan is cooler, my wife struggles here living in Aus during our summers.

Retirement or holidays are easy in hot weather.

Be happy you don't have to work in it.

If you don't like the heat, Thailand isn't for you.

Having grown up on the Texass/Louisiana Gulf Coast, the heat is no problem for me up here in Issan. Even the humidity is less, at it's worse. Having lived in New Mexico, mostly the mountains for some 25 years and then moving back to SE Texass in the middle of a 100+ F. heat wave with the humidity to match was a bit of a challenge at first. Here, the couple of weeks of "cold" gets to me. Have to sit outside to warm up, but I get to wear my Wranglers, boots, and shirts for a brief period. My tour in VN was not hot, thought I would freeze during the rainy cold months. Was lucky enough to "requisition" a couple of USMC wool shirts to go under jungle utilities. My Thai kids, use the air con, I don't. We never had air con when I was growing up, just a big window fan to draw air through the house. Air con just makes it worse. Seriously, if you are having problems with heat now and didn't before you need a check up.

JoeyG,

First, get outside. You will have plenty of time indoors when they nail the lid down.

Go Commando, shower 3-4 times a day, wear open toe sandals - please no socks, cotton shirts, light weight shorts.

Drink plenty of water - 4-5 litres per day, relax, perspire like the rest of us and live life to the full…

I manage in a suit, or shirt and tie 5 days a week.

Quality of your clothing does help.

Hi Mate, I sound similar to yourself. I am 54 but the same bodyweight and height. I have lived in Jomtien ( outside Pattaya ) for over 2 years now and like you I find the heat and / or the humidity so oppressive most of the year.

Let me say I have always been a cooler weather person anyway, from the UK I used to holiday in Spain for many years and from June to October used to find that too hot!!! So I think the type of person you are, in terms of whether you like HOT or not is a starting point.

I will stress that you do definitely acclimatise, this year I have found it a little easier to handle than the previous year, but i like you dont want to have the air con on 24 - 7. As some guys say, take showers regularly, but this is only a very temporary relief, in some cases 5 minutes. Certain times of the year, April and May especially expect to sweat constantly.

I run a golf group in Pattaya so I am out in the fresh air all year round. April and May can be unbearable in terms of heat. Most of the golfers I know who also live here, have to stop walking and use a buggy during May as its just too dam hot. This is relatively fit guys who live here and are supposedly ''acclimatised''

My Thai GF is always astounded at how ''hot'' my body is ( she means this in a purely medical sense unfortunately ).

I unfortunately have accepted that I am always going to be ''too hot'' here, although without doubt I am acclimatising but just so slowly. But as I said at the start, I really believe its down to your body type and how you react to heat in general.

Remember though that Thailand does have exceedlingly high humidity many times of the year, and this alone can make a nice 30 degrees feel like 45 degrees. I always remember being in Las Vegas many years ago and it was 100 degrees, clear blue sky, sun shining, and not a bead of sweat on me. It was beautiful. Contrast that to 30 degrees in Thailand in the rainy season, cloudy sky, 95 percent humidity and sweating like a pig.

Good luck I hope you resolve your 'problem' I have accepted for me its just something I have got to learn to live with.

weather is a major lifestyld factor. may want to consider another retirement destination.

i had a neighbor in chiang mai, which is pretty cool for thailand, who was from la. he ended up sitting in his place with the aircon on a lot pf the time. huge electric bill at end of month. he also though he needed it to keep mosquitoes away. he was also a fan of wines of all things, which are very expensive imported in thailand.

to make a long story short it was just not a good fit, though he did try to make a go of it. he eventually moved to paris or back to the states.

you can only fight your environment so long. sooner pr later you will need to be happy with the way things are here.

Crocs management and cleaning rota. VERY IMPORTANT.

After just a few days the toe jam accumulates and needs to be neutralized. The smell is overwhelming within three miles downwind.

So, I developed this unhealthy method using acidic toilet cleaner. You know that pink Makro stuff that burns your face off when it splashes during a pan scrub.

Anyways . . . some kind of dangerous exothermic reaction with the toe jam occurs and and bathroom fills will noxious gas. But the Crocs come out like new.

Very effective.

No socks.

Awesome suggestion, I'll try it out.

Ive tried Bleach and H2O2 with NO success.

I've had to toss my crocks every 2 3 months. blink.png

Hate doing that because its hard to find a size 11 at a decent price.

Cant wait to try it out! w00t.gif

Guess you will get used to it......... but this is November and the cold season.. myself been sat in the garden in the sun trying to get warm.. never use air con, never found Thailand that hot..

I am older than you and at 110 KG guess a bit over weight......... my biggest mistake coming here was not bringing the electric blanket, last night woke up cold and had to switch the fan off, was only on setting 1.. but still cold..

Not sure if this air con thing is a good idea ? have it in the Master bedroom [never used in 11 years] have it in the main room downstairs only ever use if Thais come to visit.

Maybe there is something wrong with me ? as always cold

Maybe check for thyroid, I seen the quack,,he said thyroid,, checked that than he said your body thermostat is out of wack,,,I asked him to fix that ,he said no can do,just have to learn to live with it,I said thank's for nothing he smiled and told me to piss of that was 30 years ago in Australia and they have pretty good quacks

Guess you will get used to it......... but this is November and the cold season.. myself been sat in the garden in the sun trying to get warm.. never use air con, never found Thailand that hot..

I am older than you and at 110 KG guess a bit over weight......... my biggest mistake coming here was not bringing the electric blanket, last night woke up cold and had to switch the fan off, was only on setting 1.. but still cold..

Not sure if this air con thing is a good idea ? have it in the Master bedroom [never used in 11 years] have it in the main room downstairs only ever use if Thais come to visit.

Maybe check for thyroid, I seen the quack,,he said thyroid,, checked that than he said your body thermostat is out of wack,,,I asked him to fix that ,he said no can do,just have to learn to live with it,I said thank's for nothing he smiled and told me to piss of that was 30 years ago in Australia and they have pretty good quacks

Living here sure is better than having to wear Thermal underwear and long johns 24/7 and 3 or 4 jumpers........ Thermal underwear T-shirt I do wear here for bed in the winter months, do so hate the cold

Edited by ignis

Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely give it some more time. I think a big part of it is my "thermostat" is broken from 30 years in a near perfect year round climate in San Diego.

My GF is 24 and still competes as a Muey Thai boxer sometimes. I didn't think that was complicating things...

So it isn't just me then! I am freezing here in the night and showering early morning (North Thailand) The heat is no problem after about 2 weeks, body adapts, salt / sweat etc. takes a couple of weeks to adjust. What I find uncomfortable is the cold at night up here compared to the heat in the day, it is quite a range of change. You do get used to it, my family visited in the cool season (UK family) they were sweating like pigs and I was frozen up Intahnon.