Taking Thai language classes a total waste of time and money.

flyingsaucersarereal

The point I was making about tones is that for me I hear a significant sound difference. When I first arrived, I couldn't tell much of a difference, but after a couple months of listening, the tones started to sound to me as if there were slightly different sounds to the vowels. It's just how I've come to terms with tones. Regarding my having said those two words carried different tones - I hope you will forgive an error I made when typing without actually thinking much. Also, I am not perfect regarding tones, but I would say I'm rather good. Often I can say a word correctly, but I'm not sure of the tone it carries -also, I err when saying a word in isolation, but I can say it correctly in a sentence. Having learned Thai through immersion, I've learned connected speech more than single words.

Now, I'd like to reply to this notion that there are only 200 words - or even 700 - that are useful in Thai. If you only plan on using Thai to order food and drink, take a taxi, and do whatever simple stuff, this may be true. However, if you plan on making Thai friends, having meaningful conversations, watching a Thai movie, reading a Thai book, listening to the news, etc. then even 1,000 words would be paltry and not serve one very well. If you are just here on a vacation, fine - but if you are someone who has moved to Thailand and plans on living here, then in my humble opinion it would behoove you to actually learn the language past a pidgin level.

I do agree, though, that learning "what's this in Thai?" should be one of the first phrases a person moving to Thailand learns.

พวกเราต้องจำได้ว่าภาษาของประเทศนี้มันคือภาษาไทยนะครับก็ถ้าหากจะอยู่ที่นี้เรียนรู้ภาษาของประชาชนดีกว่าไ่ม่แคร์พูดเป็นแคภาษาอังกฤษ

เราย้ายบ้านอยู่เมืองไทยเลยต้องเกรงใจคนไทยโดยความพยายามเรียนภาษาที่พว่กเขาเข้าใจง่ายๆที่สุด

Just some thoughts.

The Thai language forum is a better place for this. Edited by mesquite

The point I was making about tones is that for me I hear a significant sound difference. When I first arrived, I couldn't tell much of a difference, but after a couple months of listening, the tones started to sound to me as if there were slightly different sounds to the vowels. It's just how I've come to terms with tones. Regarding my having said those two words carried different tones - I hope you will forgive an error I made when typing without actually thinking much. Also, I am not perfect regarding tones, but I would say I'm rather good. Often I can say a word correctly, but I'm not sure of the tone it carries -also, I err when saying a word in isolation, but I can say it correctly in a sentence. Having learned Thai through immersion, I've learned connected speech more than single words.

Now, I'd like to reply to this notion that there are only 200 words - or even 700 - that are useful in Thai. If you only plan on using Thai to order food and drink, take a taxi, and do whatever simple stuff, this may be true. However, if you plan on making Thai friends, having meaningful conversations, watching a Thai movie, reading a Thai book, listening to the news, etc. then even 1,000 words would be paltry and not serve one very well. If you are just here on a vacation, fine - but if you are someone who has moved to Thailand and plans on living here, then in my humble opinion it would behoove you to actually learn the language past a pidgin level.

I do agree, though, that learning "what's this in Thai?" should be one of the first phrases a person moving to Thailand learns.

พวกเราต้องจำได้ว่าภาษาของประเทศนี้มันคือภาษาไทยนะครับก็ถ้าหากจะอยู่ที่นี้เรียนรู้ภาษาของประชาชนดีกว่าไ่ม่แคร์พูดเป็นแคภาษาอังกฤษ

เราย้ายบ้านอยู่เมืองไทยเลยต้องเกรงใจคนไทยโดยความพยายามเรียนภาษาที่พว่กเขาเข้าใจง่ายๆที่สุด

Just some thoughts.

The Thai language forum is a better place for this.

This just so happens to be in the Thai language forum.

Duh
  • Like 1

Then I agree completely. Being able to order food, ask where somewhere is, give directions to the taxi driver, etc. are more important to the beginner than being able to talk philosophy or quantum physics.

I know you're joking but I really would have a hard time discussing both in Thai. As an engineer it's hard enough to explain the mechanics of something as it is.

Thai is an excellent language for communication of feelings and diplomacy but for technical matters it's a dinosaur.

That needs some punctuation! As a first approximation, insert spaces where English has a comma, semicolon or full stop. Spaces make it easier to reread text, which is helpful if text is misspelt.

Unfortunately, we're likely to go through a stage where Thais who speak English may find it easier to understand us by first translating our Thai to English and then interpreting that.

A miracle has happened an I'm enjoying learning Thai, for me it's about fully opening the mind and I try to learn from every Thai I speak to and I listen to how they talk together and the sound. I also managed to find a one on one teacher who is new to it, she teaches me Thai I help her with English. If I can keep the enthusiasm up I think eventually I'll be pretty good maybe fluent one day.

That needs some punctuation! As a first approximation, insert spaces where English has a comma, semicolon or full stop. Spaces make it easier to reread text, which is helpful if text is misspelt.

Unfortunately, we're likely to go through a stage where Thais who speak English may find it easier to understand us by first translating our Thai to English and then interpreting that.

Not sure I understand.

You want to add punctuation, commas, full stops, ... in the Thai text above?

That would make it "not Thai" then.

Thai language does not need punctuation like we use in English.

Without punctuation it is perfectly readable if you know the written language.

ผมก็เห็นด้วยว่าฝรั่งทุกคนที่มาอยู่ประเทศไทยควรเรียนภาษาไทย

อยู่ที่นี่นานๆโดยพูดกับใครไม่ได้ผมไม่รู้จะอยู่ได้อย่างไร

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

I think he more means to simply add some spaces or line breaks between sentences (So where there would usually be a comma/fullstop in English, add in a space).

As although Thai doesn't have spaces between words or the same grammatical symbols/methods as English, it does use spaces to break up the sentences.

Hmm, punctuation isn't my strong suit - that is for sure (at least not in Thai). However, I've seen plenty of Thai written that goes on for much longer than two lines that has no spaces or any sort of punctuation. Is there a list out there of Thai punctuation and spacing rules?

As previously said, ability to pick up Thai language depends on the individuals mental attitude -What is your reason for wanting to learn Thai?

If you want to speak a little bit and read road signs to get by in everyday life then I'm sure you don't need a course to teach you.

I on the other hand would like to be fluent in Thai to the point where I can discuss business, politics and, well, everything really; I can't see how someone can teach themselves to that level from home doing internet exercises.

Each to their own but the "you can't speak Thai properly, I can" arguments are getting quite boring now. Why not use your energy to help people to speak better rather than putting them down?

• Like 1

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/466209

Please view the above random article and notice how spaces are few and far between. Two lines without a space is nothing.

แต่ ถ้า พวก คุณ อ่าน ไม่ เป็น ผม พิมพ์ แบบ นี้ ก็ ได็ นะ ครับ (jk)

Huh?

I assume that's sarcasm? Or does your computer not show the numerous spaces in that article?

You don't get fluent by sitting at home doing book or internet exercises - that's just to start and supplement the real classroom - living. Go out and speak Thai everyday to whomever. Make Thai friends and sit at a restaurant and shoot the breeze over whatever over a meal. Immerse yourself in the language. One doesn't need a classroom for that. For an example of what can be achieved with simple determination to learn Thai, check Daniel Fraser's youtube channel.

• 1 month later...

actually spicy and duck are the same tone. the first letter is different.

spicy - เผ็ด pèt

and

duck - เป็ด bpèt

bottomline is you need a mix of every angle and every method. do the best you can to do it all: tutors, classes, books, movies, friends...every angle

everyone will have their strengths and weaknesses, and flyingsaucersarereal, just because your strengths are being outgoing and talkative(very valuable traits for a language learner), there is no real need to start a post announcing what your strengths are.