Campaign launched to make Koh Tao smoke-free

webfact

kt.jpg

SURAT THANI, 17 November 2014 (NNT) – Many agencies are campaigning for Koh Tao Island to be a smoke-free area in efforts to boost the island’s tourism image.

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation, the Koh Samui municipality, and the Action on Smoking and Health Foundation are pushing to make Koh Tao Island in Surat Thani province a smoke-free area along with Koh Samui and Ko Pha Ngan in the ‘Islanders get together for no smoke’ campaign.

Local leaders, the general public, and the media have visited communities and tourist attractions to hand out anti-smoke stickers to the people and merchants in the area. The campaign aims to improve the tourism image of the island.

In Thailand, there is a Non-Smoker's Health Protection Act which has decreed that public areas must be smoke-free in order to protect the health of non-smokers from the dangers of second hand smoking.

The Ministry of the Public Health has also announced additional smoke-free areas to guard the health of the public.

According to the Executive Secretary of Action on Smoking and Health Foundation, Prakit Vathesatogkit, about 50,710 people in Thailand have died each year from smoking during 2013-2014.

The campaign on the islands are expected to help reduce the number of deaths from smoking, said the Executive Secretary.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-17 footer_n.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snip......

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation, the Koh Samui municipality, and the Action on Smoking and Health Foundation are pushing to make Koh Tao Island in Surat Thani province a smoke-free area along with Koh Samui and Ko Pha Ngan in the ‘Islanders get together for no smoke’ campaign.

Snip.....

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-11-17 footer_n.gif

Surely the bigger story is they want to make Koh Samui smoke-free or have they done that already and nobody noticed?

Would this be a move to curb deaths and the subsequent cremation of the deceased on Kao Tao thus of course reducing the smoke pollution affect affect on the local atmosphere on Kao Tao ?

It beggars belief that these numskulls think that the ban on smoking is going to improve the image of Kao Tao and further boost tourism.

Clean up the smokescreen concerning the recent violent deaths and the subsequent investments investigations by the Thai police farce force and that might just be tiny step forward.

f04da2db11220ee8f53e20.jpg

Well ... can somebody please show me PROOF that smoking actually causes cancer or that anybody dies from "smoking" !

And by this I mean SCIENTIFIC PROOF !

For all I know [after quite some research] it is still just an assumption and by no means proven fact !

No hearsay please or general government propaganda !
Proven facts only !

Well ... can somebody please show me PROOF that smoking actually causes cancer or that anybody dies from "smoking" !

And by this I mean SCIENTIFIC PROOF !

For all I know [after quite some research] it is still just an assumption and by no means proven fact !

No hearsay please or general government propaganda !

Proven facts only !

Now this post could be defined as conspiracy theory.