Non-Imm B in full passport, Can I transfer it at BKK arrivals to new passport from UK?

Hi All

I have a non-imm B permit in a UK passport that is pretty full. It takes a shocking 2-3 months to get a renewal UK passport from Thailand. The UK does not permit "adding pages".

Worse, when you apply for the new passport the old one is instantly cancelled (but you keep in Thailand as official ID only). So you can't travel on the old passport (except if you get an emergency travel document per trip). I travel a lot for my job so this is unacceptably long.

However, in London you can get a new passport in 1 day via a special Premium service (only available in person in UK). I will be in the UK mid Dec.

My question is: Could I:

a ) get the new passport in UK, and on arrival back at Suvannabhumi go to immigration to have the non-imm B transferred from old to new, before getting to the immigration counters

b ) enter Thailand with the new passport as a 'tourist' (Yes I know I can't work on that basis) but immediately go to Chaeng Wattana to have the non-imm transferred to the new passport

Thanks for your inputs,

Edited by drbrit

Is it a non 'b' obtained at a Thai Consular facility outside of Thailand or is it an extension of permission to stay obtained at your local Thai Immigration Department?

Depending on your answer the action is different.

Visa - cannot be transferred and is simply shown in the old passport with your new passport.

Extension - needs transfer, some areas of Thailand require a pro forma transfer letter which can be obtained free from the British Embassy Consular facility in BKK.

• Like 1

If you have a multiple entry non-b visa you will need to show your visa in the old passport and they will stamp you into the country for 90 days. You will have to use both passports until your visa expires because visas cannot be transferred.

If you actually have an extension of stay you got at immigration you will show your re-entry permit in your old passport you will be stamped a permit to stay up to when your extension ends. Then you will need to go to a your local immigration office to have your stamps transferred.

• Like 2

To clarify, it is an extension of permission to stay obtained in One-stop immigration in BKK. This is also the re-entry permit too right?

The reason I ask is, if I get a new passport in UK the old passport is cancelled (by UK system at least). So when I re-enter Thailand at the airport I will have one new passport with no extension of stay permit in it, and one old passport that has the current permit. Not sure what my options are.

Thanks for your prompt inputs

A re-entry permit is separate from your extension. You have to apply for it using a TM8 form. It costs 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit or 3800 for a multiple. If you enter without one you will loose your extension.

The re-entry in your old passport will still be valid to use for entry. When your passport is cancelled it does not mean a valid visa or re-entry permit it is no longer valid.

• Like 1

Ok great - this helps my understanding quite a lot. Looks like if I get a new passport abroad, even though technically (by UK) my old passport is 'cancelled' I should still be able to enter based on the re-entry stamp, then I can get the stamps transferred when at CW immigration.

Thanks for the quick responses

Ok great - this helps my understanding quite a lot. Looks like if I get a new passport abroad, even though technically (by UK) my old passport is 'cancelled' I should still be able to enter based on the re-entry stamp, then I can get the stamps transferred when at CW immigration.

Yes, passport cancellation never voids still valid visas/re-entry permits.

In years gone by when the UK Passport authorities cut the corner off the whole passport, any pages with valid visas remaining would be folded in so that the specific visa page remained intact and was thus still valid.

• Like 1

The old passport is cancelled and its details will not be used by Thai immigration.

Cancelling a passport does not means cancelling any foreign record, visa or other permission it carries - that is the reason it is returned to you.

' then I can get the stamps transferred when at CW immigration."

Yes they will put hand stamps in your new passport with the details of the visa (not the actual visa) you used to enter, the still valid extension details and information on any still valid re-entry permit, which will be sufficient for further dealings with immigrations. Once all the useful information has been placed in the new passport, it will be used for any additional extensions or entries. Depending on the office that does the transfer, you may need a letter from your embassy verifying that you were issued a new passport.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I don't know that it's necessarily 2 - 3 months; and the UK was damned slow just months ago. But you can get a passport in one day at any passport centre in the UK, not just London; though there was a time when you didn't need to pay extra to do so. When you arrive back, you simply present both passports to immigration; there is no transfer from one to the other.

• 2 months later...

Please confirm these steps. My friend has a UK passport expiring in January 2016. His current extension of stay (3rd) based on employment is valid until September 2015. He is returning to the UK for a visit in July and will apply for a new passport in the UK.

1. Prior to leaving Thailand, he must get a re-entry permit.
  2. When applying for the new passport, he must get a letter verifying he has been issued a new passport.
  3. On entry back into Thailand, he must show the old passport with extension of stay and reentry permit and the new passport.
  4. He will be stamped in on the new passport until his extension expires in September.
  5. He then needs to take the letter from the passport office in the UK, with both passports to the local immigration office to transfer stamps.
  6. In September he then needs to apply for new extension as usual.

Can steps 5 and 6 be completed at the sametime? Its Chiangmai immigration, an office best visited as infrequently as possible.

5. He probably would not be able to get the a letter from the passport office. It would have to come form the embassy.

He could do both at the same time but it he should do the stamp transfer shortly after returning to the country.

• Like 1