Police warned to cooperate with NHRC in torture probe

Lite Beer

Police warned to cooperate with NHRC in torture probe

11-17-2014-10-05-59-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

KOH TAO: -- A member of the National Human Rights Commission warned today that he would propose the commission to take legal action against police officers responsible for the interrogation of the two suspects in Koh Tao murder case if they do not cooperate with the pane.

Dr Nirand Pitakwatchara, chairman of the subcommittee on civil and political rights of the NHRC, said that his panel had given the police officers until November 24 to give testimonies to his panel regarding their treatment of the two suspects who are foreign migrant workers.

He said that he had clearly explained to the National Police Office that his panel’s investigation had nothing to do with the murder case itself but with the police treatment of the two suspects – whether they were tortured or not.

Dr Nirand admitted that he didn’t understand why the chief of the officers responsible for the interrogation of the suspects didn’t cooperate with his probe.

“We only want to know the police procedure of the interrogation whether there was torture because as long as the court has not ruled the suspects guilty they are still regarded as innocent,” said Dr Nirand.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-warned-cooperate-nhrc-torture-probe

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-17

• Like 1

Sick and so very wrong. This face thing has a lot to answer for. But it seems like the NHRC are barking up the wrong tree anyways, i mean do they expect actual honesty and accountability? What would anybody gain from more delfection and denials... What an appalling smack in the face to all bereaved families & the families of the Burmese suspects.

This is pathetically low conduct, levels beneath contempt

• Like 1

KOH TAO: -- A member of the National Human Rights Commission warned today that he would propose the commission to take legal action against police officers responsible for the interrogation of the two suspects in Koh Tao murder case if they do not cooperate with the pane.

I bet the RTP are seeing NHRC as a right Pane in the arse, I hope they keep being a pain.

• Like 1

Due to Martial law and the removal of the constitution the police are required to investigate themselves, as I understand. Previous to the coup, the police would have had to answer to another level of the Thai judicial system. Therefore they don't have to answer unless the junta tells them too.

However, if you have done the job properly, then there is no reason not to answer the claims? In such a case where the lives of two people are at stake, all diligent means should be used to defend their lives.

The stumbling block would be that the RTP are so full of S!!T that you would get a better response by wiping your arse, they would work on the theory that we answer to no one , it is not a save face B/S it is purely arrogance and Power, the RTP has been called for a complete O/haul thousands of times , this Government Department is the most dysfunctional , non compliant , corrupt , dead beats , society could have for a police force, the police Minister should direct the officers concerned to toe the line and co-operate, however that would indicate that the Minister has no confidence in he's officers and neither he should. bah.gif

• Like 1

These police have avoided turning up to the meeting 4 times already, it is almost as if they have something to hide. Either way, they absolutely must turn up to the next meeting because if they don't then they will be investigated by the police, which must be a huge worry.

Seriously, I do wonder at the outcome of all this. Will region 8 have to give back all the money? Will the real murderers lives and businesses continue as before? Will the goats get the death penalty? Will Prayuth's reputation ever recover from this case that has made him look more corrupt than the bunch that he couped out of power?

It's about time these officers are reined in. Some elements among the RTP seem like a state within the state, doing whatever they please, whenever they please, and not having to respond to any inquiries they don't like for one reason or another.

I agree. The statement - so typical - is "will propose legal action' IF.... blablabla.

Seriously does Thailand usually - ever - punish/jail "hi so" rulers from police/government/ politicians? More.... gonna do etc. Thailand only TALKS. How about showing ACTION?

Dr Nirand admitted that he didn’t understand why the chief of the officers responsible for the interrogation of the suspects didn’t cooperate with his probe.

I understand perfectly Dr. Nirand, the police don't know how to answer your questions.

So, they delay and delay...

in hopes it goes away...la, la, la.

One thing keeping the BIB's or RTP who are accused of 'Torture' from coming forward is possibly the fact that Thailand doesn't have a 5th Amendment as we do in the US. Our 5th Amendment states that we can refuse to answer a question as the answer we may give "would tend to 'incriminate' me".....................