Koh Tao investigators have until Nov 24 to explain themselves: NHRC

webfact

Koh Tao investigators have until Nov 24 to explain themselves: NHRC
Chanikarn Phumhiran
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Niran Phithakwatchara, a member of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), said yesterday that police had until November 24 to explain the case of two Myanmar suspects being allegedly assaulted into confessing to the murder of two Britons on Koh Tao.

If police fail to meet the new deadline, he said at the November 26 NHRC meeting he will propose that the commission lodge a complaint and take legal action against concerned police officers in accordance with the NHRC Act's Article 34.

The NHRC sub-committee on civil and political rights chaired by Niran had summoned the investigators five times for an explanation on the allegation, he said.

The sub-committee had also submitted its interrogation guidelines to affirm that the inquiry was not related to who killed the two British tourists, but was to do with the concerned police team's working methods and if they resorted to beating the suspects as alleged, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Koh-Tao-investigators-have-until-Nov-24-to-explain-30248011.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-18

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BIB won't bother to meet the deadline and then what, another of the infamous ' deadline extensions ' then another and ... ?

I'm sure the junta won't order the National Police Chief to ensure compliance since the PM personally backed the investigators to the hilt.

So much for reform.

• Like 2

"The NHRC sub-committee on civil and political rights chaired by Niran had summoned the investigators five times for an explanation on the allegation, he said."

Says a lot when those responsible for enforcing the law, themselves refuse to answer a summons.

Well, not really. It says that the police have no obligation to the National Human Rights Commission - mostly because the National Human Rights Commission has no enforcement powers or subpoena-type powers. The police are unlikely to answer a summons from you, either, or from me - and for exactly the same reason.

There is a very, very, VERY clear chain of command which the police must answer. If anyone in that chain of command demands their presence, such as, oh, for example, the only body currently enforcing the law at the moment, the police will respond or pay a price. Do you think that body might try to make the police accountable, given that the man in charge of enforcing the law carefully chose and appointed the chief of police?

Why would the man in absolute charge of all law enforcement give any power to the Human Rights Commission?

• Like 1

NHRC

sort of like a dog without any teeth,, ill lick you to death if you dont come to me

in regards to the next meeting,,

is this plan b, c, or xyz

I also keep threatning the kids, if you dont put that phone down while im talking,, ill talk to your mother about you,,

and she'll do nothing

If police fail to meet the new deadline, he said at the November 26 NHRC meeting he will propose that the commission lodge a complaint and take legal action against concerned police officers in accordance with the NHRC Act's Article 34.

At this point Thailand will have an opportunity to show its colours regarding Human Rights.

Those colours, I suspect, are black and blue.

At this point Thailand will have an opportunity to show its colours regarding Human Rights.

yes grey comes to mind

The BIB won't bother to meet the deadline and then what, another of the infamous ' deadline extensions ' then another and ... ?

I'm sure the junta won't order the National Police Chief to ensure compliance since the PM personally backed the investigators to the hilt.

Reform. Crackdown. What a load of... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"The NHRC sub-committee on civil and political rights chaired by Niran had summoned the investigators five times for an explanation on the allegation, he said."

Says a lot when those responsible for enforcing the law, themselves refuse to answer a summons.

Well, not really. It says that the police have no obligation to the National Human Rights Commission - mostly because the National Human Rights Commission has no enforcement powers or subpoena-type powers. The police are unlikely to answer a summons from you, either, or from me - and for exactly the same reason.

There is a very, very, VERY clear chain of command which the police must answer. If anyone in that chain of command demands their presence, such as, oh, for example, the only body currently enforcing the law at the moment, the police will respond or pay a price. Do you think that body might try to make the police accountable, given that the man in charge of enforcing the law carefully chose and appointed the chief of police?

Why would the man in absolute charge of all law enforcement give any power to the Human Rights Commission?

Why should law enforcement appear before the NHRC?

Hmm, because it's the right thing to do....

yep, works for me.

After all isn't that what the law is all about...

doing the right thing.

• Like 2

I would imagine it would go to the next stage, they will petition the criminal courts to start proceedings against the police involved.

They won't be able to ignore that.

Silence is basically an admission of guilt. The NHRC have no other choice to accept the reason for not coming in to answer the questions as exactly that..... guilt.

But I believe they can also take this to the UN human rights commission as well. (Which is what they should have done in the first place as soon as the police refused the first time.)

A criminal investigation would have to be started.

Not much can happen for ignoring the summons in and of itself.

I guess JohnThailandJohn and his buddy have quit working for ???

No money, no apologies or damage control for the BIB. Huh, guys?

Oh, we'll hear from them, at least jdinasia (maybe Balo also). They'll come down on the side of Thai officialdom, regardless of issue.

I was thinking maybe this is all part of the plan.... drag it all out as long as possible and eventually the 2 lads get released... then the investigation will just go stale a bit like the kirsty jones case in Chaingmai that is still not concluded...

....and there are others, particularly in southern Thai beach areas, which includes Pattaya. I read somewhere this morning that some tourists-to-be claimed to want to avoid Ko Tao, and are going to Ko Phi Phi instead. Ummmm, be careful when stepping in Phi Phi, there are more unsolved crimes there than Ko Tao.
  • Like 2

Because no Thai would do such a thing as torture a person to confess?

Why should law enforcement appear before the NHRC?

Hmm, because it's the right thing to do....

yep, works for me.

doing the right thing.

doing the right thing.Unquote

Yes, in most civilised countries but of course that doesn't include LOS.