World has 35.8 million slaves, report finds

webfact

World has 35.8 million slaves, report finds
By Euan McKirdy, CNN

(CNN) -- The second annual edition of the Walk Free Foundation's Global Slavery Index has found that globally, almost 36 million people are subject to modern slavery.

While incidences of slavery were found in every one of the 167 countries surveyed, five countries -- India, China, Pakistan, Uzbekistan and Russia -- accounted for nearly 22 million people (61%) suffering in bondage. The worst offender, India, accounted for an estimated 14.29 million people.

Human slavery, the report states, is defined as "human trafficking, forced labor, debt bondage, forced or servile marriage, or commercial sexual exploitation."

Surge in cases

The report found an increase of 20% on the foundation's findings a year ago, although it attributed the rise to more sophisticated data collection and analysis.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/17/world/walk-free-global-slavery-index-2014/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2014-11-18

If we use "debt bondage" as a gauge of slavery...they almost all humans are slaves...try avoiding paying property taxes...income taxes...and a whole host of other taxes...yes we are all slaves...

The truly free...are the indigenous peoples living away from civilization...unencumbered by the vices of governments...

If we use "debt bondage" as a gauge of slavery...they almost all humans are slaves...try avoiding paying property taxes...income taxes...and a whole host of other taxes...yes we are all slaves...

The truly free...are the indigenous peoples living away from civilization...unencumbered by the vices of governments...

I thought they voted to stay?

Edited by thailiketoo

Disturbing report, but I'm not surprized having read a lot of slavery incidents before.

Unfortunately, we don't appreciate what we have and how lucky we are the way we are living.

There is a lot of suffering and distress out there, that most of the time goes over our heads and we only read and feel sorry about other human beings, exactly what I'm doing now.

I regret, that I never before got an active part in this human suffering.

But it's never too late...................

1,400 in Greece

http://www.globalslaveryindex.org/findings/