Prayut blows his top when asked about father's land sale

webfact

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If his father sold the land then why does it appear in the asset declaration in the first place - does he not have a bank account of his own?

His father's land sold for 600m baht. Prayuth a got 146m baht share. I'm not sure why the land is even mentioned but maybe the declaration has to show recent (18 months+ ??) transactions. That's something Thaksin forgot to mention when he declared his assets in 2001. (btw ... that's not a "but Thaksin" comment, just a reference to "recent transactions".)

His declaration showed the money coming to him and then he transferred 466.5m baht out to family members which apparently included his father.

There is this which confuses me a little bit:

"“The land has belonged to me since I was a kid, it belonged to my father. So what’s the problem?” ” Gen. Prayuth said. "

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/prayuth-on-defensive-over-familys-600-million-baht-property-sale.html

Maybe the land belonged to Prayuth's father, who gave it to his kids when Prayuth was young. Then Prayuth sold it, with the full proceeds going into his accounts. He kept his share and distributed it amongst the family.

It is a valid question as no one knows unless he explains what the real value of the land was. And if 600000 is the price on the land documents. Personally I think it is a genuine transaction but you have to be open about it if you are PM.

No. The PM don't have to tell the world that he is super super rich.

Please respect Prayuth by not invading his privacy.

He is a law abiding citizen, just like you and me.

If his father sold the land then why does it appear in the asset declaration in the first place - does he not have a bank account of his own?

His father's land sold for 600m baht. Prayuth a got 146m baht share. I'm not sure why the land is even mentioned but maybe the declaration has to show recent (18 months+ ??) transactions. That's something Thaksin forgot to mention when he declared his assets in 2001. (btw ... that's not a "but Thaksin" comment, just a reference to "recent transactions".)

His declaration showed the money coming to him and then he transferred 466.5m baht out to family members which apparently included his father.

There is this which confuses me a little bit:

"“The land has belonged to me since I was a kid, it belonged to my father. So what’s the problem?” ” Gen. Prayuth said. "

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/prayuth-on-defensive-over-familys-600-million-baht-property-sale.html

Maybe the land belonged to Prayuth's father, who gave it to his kids when Prayuth was young. Then Prayuth sold it, with the full proceeds going into his accounts. He kept his share and distributed it amongst the family.

Maybe, so it is no wonder there are a lot of questions.

It is not clear whose land it was when it was sold or who bought it - just that a large sum found its way into the generals bank account and he is refusing to answer questions about it.

Given the damage land scandals have done to previous governments he really does need to clarify this.

• Like 1

As a prime minister it does matter what your family is doing. Wasn't this not the biggest reason why YL was overthrown for. (Because of her brother)..

Anyway it sounds quite strange..and this all after the inheritance tax tax is on the way. And a company which has been formed and immediately took over the land.

Wasn't this? No, it wasn't.

Anyway, it would seem this is before the inheritance tax was discussed. A case of 'insider knowledge' seems bound to fail though, although a previous attempt to instate such tax also came from a military instated government.

PSthe company didn't take over the land, they bought it.

It is not clear whose land it was when it was sold or who bought it - just that a large sum found its way into the generals bank account and he is refusing to answer questions about it.

Given the damage land scandals have done to previous governments he really does need to clarify this.

I would imagine that it is perfectly clear, just badly reported. It's not like he is trying to hide anything. He declared the sale of the land. He declared that he gave money to his daughters. The current owner would be on record.

No one is questioning whether the price was too high or too low, so I would assume that it was basically right.

People are questioning whether it was done because the inheritance tax, but he sold it 18 months ago, so must have a pretty good crystal ball, and even if it was, so what?

It seems the land was in the family for a long time, so the price that was paid for it 20, 30, 50 years ago could have been relatively small.

There would certainly be questions as to how he came to have 180 mil baht apart from the land sale, but really, that's about it.

• Like 1

Questions asked-- no problem if they are legit, But who reported that he Quote " blew his top " ??? who decided to put this into a topic this way ??

inviting anger, and TVF are wanting to conform to no harsh criticism----- then blasts this heading here. This week there have been more and more invitation to the PM haters, but yet feed them fodder for replies.

Headlines need to be scaled down and fair. so as everyone no matter what opinion can comment without inflated topic headings.

awwww it`s no fun when it`s not like it used to be, when everyone was too scared to speak out laugh.png Cheering team yellow is only fun when people don`t bite back I guess wink.png Just blame Thaksin, isn`t that the usual trick?

I think everyone can see the tide is changing, bit by bit people are speaking out against this charade. 2015 is going to be a huge year in the Kingdom

Ha Ha, I see there is no mention of the years2011-2014 ?? they were HUGE losses years weren't they ?? I will blame anyone who cannot govern as sworn to do so, so if Thaksin was in that bracket if the cap fits.

I will also blame the PM if he gets it all wrong, but will refuse to jump on the TVF slag the PM clan just for the sake of it. we call that an agenda NOT individual opinion.

If some clan members think that M/cycle taxi- beach clean up-jet ski--SOME freedom of speech--is going to bring down the PM they need their heads seeing to.....................Thai people decide and will when the time comes NOT the wind up merchants on TVF.

For the moment Thai people can't decide anything, also the HUGE amount of the family has nothing to do with Thaksin, jet-ski clean up or what so ever......

So just another of your lover post.....

Edited by ikke

Good answer from the Premier.......

Well no it is not.

He is a PM and as such he is open to all sorts of questions including his personal life.

He declared the asset!

" Prayut reported in his assets declaration that a part of his assets came from proceed from of a land sale by his father for Bt600 million that was shared among his siblings."

What has his father's business got to do with him, an asset was gained and reported!

"When another reporter asked him while a firm that was just formed seven days bought the land....."

Whoa Mr PM firstly your in a public position you choose to be in so you give up your right to privacy. Secondly what you do in public or private is State business no longer private business. Until you step down you work for the Thai public and you answer to the Thai public. Not like military where they do as you say with out question shoe is on other foot, Now It You do as the Thai people say.

"You do as the Thai people say."

Really? Apparently Deputy PM Prawit didn't get the memo:

"Prawit said the government did not want to be told what to do," http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777301-restrictions-on-press-freedom-to-stay-prawit/

I would guess that these nws conferences are all being recorded and will become part of a campaign against the PM in any future election,

unless of course the country is still under martial law,

it will be interesting to see just how far Thailand falls in its standings in the ASEAN as the others, notably Vietnam, rise.

I would guess that these nws conferences are all being recorded and will become part of a campaign against the PM in any future election,

it will be interesting to see just how far Thailand falls in its standings in the ASEAN as the others, notably Vietnam, rise.

What would be the point of using anything against the PM in an election he's not standing in?

What would be the point of using anything against the PM in an election he's not standing in?

To show how much BS the yellow establishment is.

I would imagine that it is perfectly clear, just badly reported. It's not like he is trying to hide anything. He declared the sale of the land. He declared that he gave money to his daughters. The current owner would be on record.

No one is questioning whether the price was too high or too low, so I would assume that it was basically right.

People are questioning whether it was done because the inheritance tax, but he sold it 18 months ago, so must have a pretty good crystal ball, and even if it was, so what?

It seems the land was in the family for a long time, so the price that was paid for it 20, 30, 50 years ago could have been relatively small.

There would certainly be questions as to how he came to have 180 mil baht apart from the land sale, but really, that's about it.

You seem very trusting on this and quite happy to imagine and assume quite a lot - not something i would be comfortable with any politician in Thailand.

He declared the sale of the land so why all this talk about it being his fathers land - his father may have owned it at some point but that is not really relevant especially if it had been in the family a long time.

He declared he gave some money to family members but, if it was his fathers land, did his brother not get a large slice as well and, if so, where is it on his asset declaration.

The current owner is on record as a BVI company which is hardly crystal clear - links have been suggested to an influential businessman in Thailand.

The value of the land has been questioned - it is one of the oldest tricks in the book to sell assets at an inflated price to launder money. If an influential business man wanted to pass money to a senior official under the radar then what better way than to buy something off him for more than it is worth through a mysterious overseas entity.

If this is just poor reporting then a public statement is what would be expected of any other politician anywhere else in the world to clear things up.

• Like 1

Can we all agree Thaksin and co were a bunch of crooks? Is that ok? Good,. Let's continue.

Just because Thaksin was crap, it doesn't mean Prayuth can get away with this sort of nonsense. Don't forget, he is in power only because he controls tanks and stuff, and if you don't let him be the head honcho, he'll put you in the ground. The 'but Thaksin' mob are complete and utter buffoons. I can imagine them cutting themselves shaving and blaming old Yingluck or Thaksin.Or someone goes too far in Thailand and starts a war with North Korea. Nukes on the way to Bangers, but they will cry ''It was worse under Thaksin.' Also, Thaksin and Yingluck would give Thais the chance to vote them out if they weren't happy with them. It's actually a system that seems to be the best around according to a few of the ..oh...I dunno...wealthy nations like the US, UK, Japan, Australia, Sweden, Denmark, Canada etc etc. But, hey...these Juntas are much better. Look at all the good they did for..erm..South America...erm....African nations...erm...Burma. Iraq was great fun. Argentina had a ball under the 70's Junta. Central America...El Salvador? Well, that was just awesome.

Look, Thaksin and co were corrupt in my opinion. Part of the problem. Not solution. Pretty much every 'politician' or 'leader' has been pretty useless. Although, Thaksin did actually do some stuff for the benefit of quite a few Thais (hence the massive support...no Happiness Council required for those voting figures). Maybe, just maybe...one day Thailand will have some politiicans that will actually do everything they can to help all Thais. And not to treat LOS like some plundering fund until the next set of pigs get to feed at the trough.

If Thaksin is being used as a benchmark for judging the current lot then all hope is lost.

It is a valid question as no one knows unless he explains what the real value of the land was. And if 600000 is the price on the land documents. Personally I think it is a genuine transaction but you have to be open about it if you are PM.

Yes, by law all high office holders in the government must declare their holdings.

I'll respect him when he proves he is not bent.

And you know he is law-abiding, how? You are as bad as the worst Thaksin apologist I have read on this forum. Did you accidentally drink the Prayut Kool-ade?

harrry made the most innocuous statement but you are such a Prayut sycophant that you had to argue with him. You are really sad.

• Like 2

You seem very trusting on this and quite happy to imagine and assume quite a lot - not something i would be comfortable with any politician in Thailand.

He declared the sale of the land so why all this talk about it being his fathers land - his father may have owned it at some point but that is not really relevant especially if it had been in the family a long time.

He declared he gave some money to family members but, if it was his fathers land, did his brother not get a large slice as well and, if so, where is it on his asset declaration.

The current owner is on record as a BVI company which is hardly crystal clear - links have been suggested to an influential businessman in Thailand.

The value of the land has been questioned - it is one of the oldest tricks in the book to sell assets at an inflated price to launder money. If an influential business man wanted to pass money to a senior official under the radar then what better way than to buy something off him for more than it is worth through a mysterious overseas entity.

If this is just poor reporting then a public statement is what would be expected of any other politician anywhere else in the world to clear things up.

" The value of the land has been questioned - it is one of the oldest tricks in the book to sell assets at an inflated price to launder money. If an influential business man wanted to pass money to a senior official under the radar then what better way than to buy something off him for more than it is worth through a mysterious overseas entity."

1st. Has the value of the land been questioned! By whom?

2nd. It was sold 18 months ago. Long before Prayuth took over the government!

just badly reported

Is that why reporters are still asking questions?

It's not like he is trying to hide anything.

Yes he is. He, as the title of the OP states, 'blew his top' at even being questioned. Why should he blow his top if all was 'above board'?

No one is questioning whether the price was too high or too low

I am questioning if the price was too high or too low. If the price was too high, it is obviously a method of funneling money into the PM's bank account. I kinda doubt it is too low. I can't think of a better way to reward the PM for overthrowing the Yingluck Thaksin government than a nice hunk of cash; how clever to pass it to him out in the open, so to speak. All the rich 'elite' wanted the coup and now he gets his well-deserved reward. Why is that so hard to suppose?

There would certainly be questions as to how he came to have 180 mil baht apart from the land sale

So, you admit he might have gotten the 180,000,000 Baht he already had (does that include his wife, daughter, maid, etc.'s accounts?) through less than legal means but you are 100% positive this land deal was not a 'pay off' for the coup. How does that work? No one gets into his high place in the army without being 'bent' and nobody who is 'bent' goes straight. Pull the wool off your eyes; Thaksin and Co. aren't the only crooks in Thailand.

but really, that's about it

How could you possibly know that that is the full extent of his corruption? And even if it was 'about it', isn't 180 million Baht on a general's salary (and that's just the money he didn't hide) evidence enough of a lifetime of criminal behavior? If it was Chalerm, I know you would be writing the exact opposite of what you are posting on this thread. Pull the wool off your eyes; Thaksin and Co. aren't the only crooks in Thailand.

• Like 1

Absolutely!

Certain members should read your post again, with the comprehension part of their brains turned on.

" The value of the land has been questioned - it is one of the oldest tricks in the book to sell assets at an inflated price to launder money. If an influential business man wanted to pass money to a senior official under the radar then what better way than to buy something off him for more than it is worth through a mysterious overseas entity."

1st. Has the value of the land been questioned! By whom?

2nd. It was sold 18 months ago. Long before Prayuth took over the government!

Has the value of the land been questioned! By whom?

By me and others on the forum. Who do you think you've been arguing with?

It was sold 18 months ago. Long before Prayuth took over the government!

The coup was more than six months ago and most likely more than a year in the planning; probably contingency plans were begun on the day Ms Yingluck got elected. Hired gun.

I'm curious where all this loyalty comes from for a Thai general who illegally overthrew the government and still, after six months, keeps martial law in effect so he can restrict any criticism. Is it gratefulness for kicking out the Thaksin puppet government? Prayut is no saint. Why so many fervent apologist who don't question anything he says or does? I find it hard to believe that farang from mature democracies could support such a man.

It's not about "trusting". It's about discussing the right issues.

For example, inheritance tax ... not an issue.

The land price. An issue if the value does not seem right. I haven't seen anyone actually questioning the value of the land.

Ownership. It's not clear who owned it when it was sold, but I haven't seen much questioning about that either. At some stage his father owned it. Whether it was handed over to the kids before or after it was sold doesn't make much difference (unless there are some tax implications). Either way, it seems Prayuth got a share of it. I don't know if it is on his brother's asset declaration. If it isn't, then that is probably an issue that needs to be explained.

The new owners. As long as the price is right, what does that matter. One of the shareholders was a BVI entity. So what? Foreigners can own up to a 49% share in land.

The only thing the Chiang Mai Times article linked to earlier questioned was where Prayuth got 180 million baht before the land sale. That's worth questioning, but we all know the answer to that anyway. Generals do business deals. They get things done. They make money. Police do the same thing. It's a problem. It has nothing to do with this asset declaration though.

Yes, Prayuth blowing up is an issue. He's a hot head. But if all of the above issues have been explained already, I can understand his frustration. It wasn't well handled though. That's something that makes me laugh when people say that he will stand in the next election. He's not a politician. He wouldn't last 5 minutes if he actually had to answer to the people.

Being as his job is to end democracy in Thailand and revert back to the good old days where the Yellow shirts and the old ruling elite get all the spoils then of course he shouldn't have to answer any questions about what could be shady looking deals involving millions of $$$.

This is the man who has made sure his backers family in Koh Tao get off scot-free for murdering 2 people

whoa - this is down at the level of the american yahoos posting dumb anti- racist comments at Yahoo.com. There are so few FACTS quoted here, I almost didnt bother. Lets try to correct your post:

1. Yingluck passing legislation at 4.00 am in the morning to give your brother (and murders) a free pass out of jail = not democracy.

2. agreed about the 'elite' - off with their heads. One elite is the CEO of CPFoods is the 3rd richest man in Thailand. he started as a street food seller. Give me leaders like that. Grant you, not rascals like Suthep.

3. do your sums: 600 million baht divided by 33/USD = $1.8million. Not exactly "millions of $$$" is it?

4. "This is the man who has made sure his backers family in Koh Tao get off scot-free for murdering 2 people". This is the scummiest post I've seen. I am amazed our Moderator hasn't acted on this.

just badly reported

Yes he is. He, as the title of the OP states, 'blew his top' at even being questioned. Why should he blow his top if all was 'above board'?

I am questioning if the price was too high or too low. If the price was too high, it is obviously a method of funneling money into the PM's bank account. I kinda doubt it is too low. I can't think of a better way to reward the PM for overthrowing the Yingluck Thaksin government than a nice hunk of cash; how clever to pass it to him out in the open, so to speak. All the rich 'elite' wanted the coup and now he gets his well-deserved reward. Why is that so hard to suppose?

There would certainly be questions as to how he came to have 180 mil baht apart from the land sale

So, you admit he might have gotten the 180,000,000 Baht he already had (does that include his wife, daughter, maid, etc.'s accounts?) through less than legal means but you are 100% positive this land deal was not a 'pay off' for the coup. How does that work? No one gets into his high place in the army without being 'bent' and nobody who is 'bent' goes straight. Pull the wool off your eyes; Thaksin and Co. aren't the only crooks in Thailand.

How could you possibly know that that is the full extent of his corruption? And even if it was 'about it', isn't 180 million Baht on a general's salary (and that's just the money he didn't hide) evidence enough of a lifetime of criminal behavior? If it was Chalerm, I know you would be writing the exact opposite of what you are posting on this thread. Pull the wool off your eyes; Thaksin and Co. aren't the only crooks in Thailand.

What are the questions that the reporters are actually asking?

There has been no report that I've seen suggesting the the price was too high or too low. Everyone knows where the land is. Everyone knows how much it was sold for. No one (that I've seen) has said it was worth anything different to what it was sold for.

As far as the land is concerned, that is about it. It has been in the family a long time - maybe 40-50 years. If someone wants go back that far and discuss how the family got the land, then I think they are wasting their time.

I have never said that he didn't get his money through corruption. But this particular land deal is just clouding that issue. Unless someone can point out issues with the land deal, then forget about it. Focus on other issues.

It's like Yingluck's meeting with land developers. So many people were focusing on the "affair" side of things that they ignored that she was hiding that she had the meeting.

Being as his job is to end democracy in Thailand and revert back to the good old days where the Yellow shirts and the old ruling elite get all the spoils then of course he shouldn't have to answer any questions about what could be shady looking deals involving millions of $$$.

This is the man who has made sure his backers family in Koh Tao get off scot-free for murdering 2 people

whoa - this is down at the level of the american yahoos posting dumb anti- racist comments at Yahoo.com. There are so few FACTS quoted here, I almost didnt bother. Lets try to correct your post:

1. Yingluck passing legislation at 4.00 am in the morning to give your brother (and murders) a free pass out of jail = not democracy.

2. agreed about the 'elite' - off with their heads. One elite is the CEO of CPFoods is the 3rd richest man in Thailand. he started as a street food seller. Give me leaders like that. Grant you, not rascals like Suthep.

3. do your sums: 600 million baht divided by 33/USD = $1.8million. Not exactly "millions of $$$" is it?

4. "This is the man who has made sure his backers family in Koh Tao get off scot-free for murdering 2 people". This is the scummiest post I've seen. I am amazed our Moderator hasn't acted on this.

I do like point 3 - comedy gold!

just badly reported

What are the questions that the reporters are actually asking?

There has been no report that I've seen suggesting the the price was too high or too low. Everyone knows where the land is. Everyone knows how much it was sold for. No one (that I've seen) has said it was worth anything different to what it was sold for.

As far as the land is concerned, that is about it. It has been in the family a long time - maybe 40-50 years. If someone wants go back that far and discuss how the family got the land, then I think they are wasting their time.

I have never said that he didn't get his money through corruption. But this particular land deal is just clouding that issue. Unless someone can point out issues with the land deal, then forget about it. Focus on other issues.

It's like Yingluck's meeting with land developers. So many people were focusing on the "affair" side of things that they ignored that she was hiding that she had the meeting.

So far the only word that it belonged to the family for a very long time is from someone who said, it belonged to me since I was a child and now shut up. Very credible source isn't it?

• Like 1