Prayut blows his top when asked about father's land sale

webfact

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Ha! Same old, same old! Some of you guys really thought the military stole power to get rid of corruption. I posted at the time of the coup and before that they merely wanted to restore the proceeds of corruption to the rightful owners! Thanks to Prayuth's dad for showing us how sticky fingers are still stuck in the till!!

You do realise that the land was sold 18 months ago, don't you?

And no one has actually been able to suggest what corruption took place with the sale. Do you have anything new to add?

Ha! Ha! Same old, same old! Some of you guys really thought the military stole power to get rid of corruption. I posted at the time of the coup and before that they merely wanted to restore the proceeds of corruption to the rightful owners! Thanks to Prayuth's dad for showing us how sticky fingers are still stuck in the till!!

And no one has actually been able to suggest what corruption took place with the sale. Do you have anything new to add?

Actually quite a few reliable sources have commented that there are some odd aspects about the transaction that need to be clarified given that Prayuth has personally benefited from it.Given that he has become hugely wealthy on a minuscule salary transparency and honesty are essential.

Where I probably agree with you is that there is as yet no evidence of corruption.However given the pattern of influence buying in Thailand and the apparent involvement of Charoen there are to say the least some hard questions to deal with.Given P's threatening and bullying manner taken with the supine Thai press, we will probably never get an answer.

Anyway there will always be cheerleaders to defend him.I was wondering what he would have to do before these quisling types would offer a word of criticism.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think Thaksin's defence in the Rachadapisek land deal was that no corruption took place. As the general stole power at the end of a gun - apparently to end corruption, perhaps the onus is on him and his family to justify large land transfers at a time when there is no democratic accountability.

Actually quite a few reliable sources have commented that there are some odd aspects about the transaction that need to be clarified given that Prayuth has personally benefited from it.Given that he has become hugely wealthy on a minuscule salary transparency and honesty are essential.

Where I probably agree with you is that there is as yet no evidence of corruption.However given the pattern of influence buying in Thailand and the apparent involvement of Charoen there are to say the least some hard questions to deal with.Given P's threatening and bullying manner taken with the supine Thai press, we will probably never get an answer.

Anyway there will always be cheerleaders to defend him.I was wondering what he would have to do before these quisling types would offer a word of criticism.

Kindly list the " odd aspects about the transaction"

Thanks

Thanks

Try reading the thread.Some key issues are touched on and I'm certainly not going to do a summary for you.

As already mentioned the key concern in my mind is the issue of possible political influence buying and the alleged role of Charoen.I have made it clear that I am not accusing anybody of corruption or even dodgy practice, simply suggesting that more transparency is needed.

Edited by jayboy

Thanks

Try reading the thread.Some key issues are touched on and I'm certainly not going to do a summary for you.

As already mentioned the key issue in my mind is the issue of possible political influence buying and the alleged role of Charoen.I have made it clear that I am not is accusing anybody of corruption or even dodgy practice, simply suggesting that more transparency is needed.

I did read it, therefore I read that Charoen allegedly didn't come into play until the sale was completed 18 months ago!

Thanks

As already mentioned the key issue in my mind is the issue of possible political influence buying and the alleged role of Charoen.I have made it clear that I am not is accusing anybody of corruption or even dodgy practice, simply suggesting that more transparency is needed.

I did read it, therefore I read that Charoen allegedly didn't come into play until the sale was completed 18 months ago!

If that is the case, then there's no problem.But that was not my understanding.

Oh something like, Charoen just happened to pass by when the sale was closed, and threw in some 600 million he had in his shirt pocket.

Now that explains everything facepalm.gif

Oh something like, Charoen just happened to pass by when the sale was closed, and threw in some 600 million he had in his shirt pocket.

I have no idea what Charoen was doing. I only read articles that are available!

" The major shareholder of the company when the deal took place had a British Virgin Islands address,Isara News said, citing the Business Development Department’s data.

After a capital increase, the major shareholder now is the company linked to Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, a liquor and property billionaire."

It implies that the company that purchased the land originally had a Capitol increase after the sale. But who knows!

Has there actually been any further reporting on this subject in or out of Thailand?

" The major shareholder of the company when the deal took place had a British Virgin Islands address,Isara News said, citing the Business Development Department’s data.

After a capital increase, the major shareholder now is the company linked to Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, a liquor and property billionaire."

It implies that the company that purchased the land originally had a Capitol increase after the sale. But who knows!

Has there actually been any further reporting on this subject in or out of Thailand?

I only read articles that are available!

You realize that it is Prayuth who determines these days which articles are available?

Taken in account the reaction of Mr Happiness I don't think we need to hold our breath that any further (accurate) reporting will be available anytime soon.

I only read articles that are available!

You realize that it is Prayuth who determines these days which articles are available?

Taken in account the reaction of Mr Happiness I don't think we need to hold our breath that any further (accurate) reporting will be available anytime soon.

You've never heard of journalist leaking information to other journalists in other countries .. no.

But then they would only do that when it's worth it!

But you keep believing we now live in North Korea!!!

You've never heard of journalist leaking information to other journalists in other countries .. no.

How does one investigate something when all concerned agencies are manned by friends of the person you're investigating?

Oh, and not North Korea, Burma is more accurate.

How does one investigate something when all concerned agencies are manned by friends of the person you're investigating?

Dunno. But people do it especially investigative reporters (when it's actually worth their time) which this probably isn't!!

Dunno. But people do it especially investigative reporters (when it's actually worth their time) which this probably isn't!!

As you say, when it's actually worth their time, which it isn't when they know upfront that all doors stay closed.

Edited by Anthony5

As you say, when it's actually worth their time, which it isn't when they know upfront that all doors stay closed.

Right!!! Whatever!

I think Thaksin's defence in the Rachadapisek land deal was that no corruption took place. As the general stole power at the end of a gun - apparently to end corruption, perhaps the onus is on him and his family to justify large land transfers at a time when there is no democratic accountability.

With Thaksin's land deal, no corruption took place except for the fact that deal shouldn't have been done in the first place because of Thaksin's position as PM.

Prayuth's father's land deal took place, as I said in the post you quoted, 18 months ago when there was "democratic accountability".

The issue should be how he became so wealthy before the land deal (as I have said in a number of my posts).

That he benefited from the deal is irrelevant given that it was his father's land UNLESS there was some issue with how his father got the land in the first place or there was a problem with the price paid for the land.

• Like 2

Imagine the Bangkok area many, many years before it got developed. Just farmland and marshy bog. Land was cheap back in those days and those who owned it probably had no idea it would be so valuable in the future.

As the city began to sprawl, land prices increased and as the sprawl continued so land prices followed.

Fast forward to today.

A load of cheap plots bought decades ago which once cultivated rice are now prime city real estate with a price likely many hundreds of times greater than the original purchase price. Been in the family two or three generations. Now the plots come to be sold and the money is divided amongst the family members.

If this is how it all happened, which is highly likely in my opinion, I just can't see what the problem is.

• Like 1

The issue should be how he became so wealthy before the land deal (as I have said in a number of my posts).

That he benefited from the deal is irrelevant given that it was his father's land UNLESS there was some issue with how his father got the land in the first place or there was a problem with the price paid for the land.

I see you just ignore the toxic Charoen issue which would have the press crawling all over it in a free country.But then of course we are all blind to faults in the one we love.

• Like 1

I see you just ignore the toxic Charoen issue which would have the press crawling all over it in a free country.But then of course we are all blind to faults in the one we love.

If the price was right, what difference does it make who bought it?

As a prime minister it does matter what your family is doing. Wasn't this not the biggest reason why YL was overthrown for. (Because of her brother)..

Anyway it sounds quite strange..and this all after the inheritance tax tax is on the way. And a company which has been formed and immediately took over the land.

Not really strange.... Knowing all the details that will be included in the new law, just getting everything in order to ensure he and his family don't have to pay inheritance tax...

As a prime minister it does matter what your family is doing. Wasn't this not the biggest reason why YL was overthrown for. (Because of her brother)..

Anyway it sounds quite strange..and this all after the inheritance tax tax is on the way. And a company which has been formed and immediately took over the land.

Not really strange.... Knowing all the details that will be included in the new law, just getting everything in order to ensure he and his family don't have to pay inheritance tax...

He probably didn't know all the details 18 months ago when the property was sold.

He probably didn't know all the details 18 months ago when the property was sold.

OK you really like the General. We get it, point made, so in the name of god will you just let it go?

Does somebody remember a PM stating that she was off -duty when a private meeting took place? As a PM one has to endure 24 hours responsibility and a very limited private life. Smarter would have been to answer the question. If there is nothing to hide, then what is the big deal about answering. Some file matters are really private, and should be protected. A 600 million land deal is not. The least he could have said is that he has no details, as it was his father's deal.

If the price was right, what difference does it make who bought it?

You seem wilfully blind.The issue is possible influence peddling by a political tycoon aligned with the forces calling for a coup.Nothing yet proved but this all needs to be investigated - the price paid isn't the main issue.If Thaksin had been the buyer you would have been quite rightly pointing out the implications.As it is your dog like devotion to the General doesn't seem to encourage independent thought.

OK you really like the General. We get it, point made, so in the name of god will you just let it go?

If you want people to believe that the sale happened last week just as the inheritance tax was being discussed, that's up to you.

I prefer people know some facts.

If people focus on things that are factually wrong, then that means that the real things get missed.

You seem wilfully blind.The issue is possible influence peddling by a political tycoon aligned with the forces calling for a coup.Nothing yet proved but this all needs to be investigated - the price paid isn't the main issue.If Thaksin had been the buyer you would have been quite rightly pointing out the implications.As it is your dog like devotion to the General doesn't seem to encourage independent thought.

How is paying the right price for a piece of land "influence peddling"?

Does somebody remember a PM stating that she was off -duty when a private meeting took place? As a PM one has to endure 24 hours responsibility and a very limited private life. Smarter would have been to answer the question. If there is nothing to hide, then what is the big deal about answering. Some file matters are really private, and should be protected. A 600 million land deal is not. The least he could have said is that he has no details, as it was his father's deal.

It started off as no meeting, then it was a private meeting, then it became a government meeting ... and no official details were released about the meeting.

• Like 1

Didn't realize sold 18 months ago...

In that case, seems before he even take over the government, so now way the inheritance tax could be the reason for the sale.

Although don't think this type of thing should be 'off limits' ... No problems with reporters asking these type of questions.

As he is now a Public official, not a private citizen. Regardless of how he came to power, he is now in power and so gives up much of his rights to privacy.

• Like 1