CBR1000RR derestriction

wowjudo

Hello

I really like the cbr1000rr and plan to buy one at the end of this month (If my buyer comes and gets my z800) . I know some might think im stupid for buying a castrated bike for the full price but its enough power for me to commute around on the highways for a year or so.

But one day i will sure lust for more power. Anyone around that did the derestriction on the japanese spec cbr1000rr and what were the after results? How much Hp increase and was the bike still healthy ?

How much did you spent on the derestriction ? I think the bigwing cbr1000rr is abit different from the real japanese version. i am still not sure what the difference is but i guess they just removed the speed limiter

There's a lot of detail on here already if you search. But to summarize... I believe it's about 70k for full derestriction. Even if that goes well then it's still down in power compared to the 'new gen' litre bikes by around 30 hp. And no electronics package (power modes, dtc), no quickshifter etc. And it's 6-7 years since any major upgrade. Pretty sure you lose warranty as well once it's been opened up. And you've paid around 700k by then and had all that hassle...

Better to pay a bit more and get a zx10 or the new R1 in my opinion. Or if you're a Honda fan, wait for next years model which I'm sure will include a lot of the great features currently on the likes of BMW, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Ducati etc. Of course it might still be restricted in Thailand though so the wait may be futile.

Search for Sumet Cycles thread where he did what you are intending to do. He had a rough time of it throwing error codes and sold it after a load of hassle trying to get it running right...

Powerspeed in bkk do it . Can't remember the price . 20k i think.

Takes it to 155 bhp.

The lad is called Oh.

I think there are several levels of derestriction. I don't think 20k is going to get it fully done, I think it needs an aftermarket exhaust and new throttle bodies at a minimum. Hopefully someone on the forum has tried it since Sumet, he's the only guy on here who actually tried it and documented it and from memory he had a load of hassle and pretty much gave up in the end and traded it in. A very honest and interesting read...

Those new bikes that will come will surely cost all 900k + which is out of my price range for a bike since i don't want to lease

but yes the sumet cycle story scares me off abit. Are all official japanese bikes in thailand restricted?

Zx10 isn't sold by Kawasaki officially, the R1 and gsxr1000 are sold officially and not restricted.

I see no point on spending nearly 700,000 on a 125 RWBHP bike . For similar money or slightly more ( with a full warranty , and with no hassle ) you could get a full blown Triumph / Kawasaki / Yamaha etc.If you dont want 185 + BHP then look at the Z800 / Z1000 or the new Yamaha 900 .

I see no point on spending nearly 700,000 on a 125 RWBHP bike . For similar money or slightly more ( with a full warranty , and with no hassle ) you could get a full blown Triumph / Kawasaki / Yamaha etc.If you dont want 185 + BHP then look at the Z800 / Z1000 or the new Yamaha 900 .

Well i currently have the z800 and its a great bike around town but i do not enjoy it on the highway (not because of the wind)

the used bike market doesn't has anything exciting to offer or i just check at the wrong place. 59bike has RIDICILIOUS prices for such old bikes

Z800 to CBR1000RR (restricted) gives your 3 HP and about 10 Nm torque. For 270k THB more. I don't think this is a great idea.

Might as well just upgrade to the Z1000 which would give you more HP, about same torque for less money than the CBR1000RR.

Sucks a bit in Thailand where prices jump so much when you go higher than the Z800 :(

If the Honda wasn't restricted, it would be a clear step up but the way it is... meh.

Well Z800 got 83 Nm torque vs the 111 Nm of the Z1000. About a third more - this is quite a difference. Same goes for HP (113 vs 142).

If you can pony up 750k THB then maybe the Ducati Panigale 899 could be interesting? It makes 195 HP and 132 Nm. Now that's a different beast :)

Plus it got more electronic gadgets. It's not an inline 4 though if that's what you are after.

With the new R1 about to hit dealerships, I wouldn't be surprised to see the current 799K price drop to ~700K on the previous model, so that should also be on your radar (this would be for any left in stock so quantities would be limited and you'd have to be ready to move fast on one).

• Like 1

I know we live in Thailand so price is skewed & it is what it is but.....

Still seems funny to look at a 2014 R1 "reduced" in price to the better grab it quick deal

pricing of $21,325 US Dollars....."possibly" down from its even more insane $24,338 USD /799k baht previous price

In any other place we would say that is insane when full US retail is 14k US with most getting it

for much less than that.

But it is what it is & TIT wink.png

But really what I have seen that is most disturbing is the crash of the used bike market here.

Before we could half way justify the nutty prices by saying "well when you sell here you will not lose much".

Not anymore.........It is now a very nice "buyers" used market for anyone but those that need new

I fully accept it is what it is & this is Thailand.

But I will not play this game any longer. It has just exceeded value/fun point for me.

Not due to lack of funds but just it has exceeded what I feel is common sense for me.

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Powerspeed in bkk do it . Can't remember the price . 20k i think.

Takes it to 155 bhp.

The lad is called Oh.

I think there are several levels of derestriction. I don't think 20k is going to get it fully done, I think it needs an aftermarket exhaust and new throttle bodies at a minimum. Hopefully someone on the forum has tried it since Sumet, he's the only guy on here who actually tried it and documented it and from memory he had a load of hassle and pretty much gave up in the end and traded it in. A very honest and interesting read...

No throttle bodies are not needed just the restrictor plates opened. The exhaust is the only expense and the complete derestrict should be closer to 20 k.

^

I think a new ECU is needed rather than a reflash of the existing unit, which adds to that- ll2 mentioned something about that on a previous thread.

Note that derestriction would void your engine warranty- as the CBR1000RR hadn't changed in a few years, you might as well look for an unmolested used model if you're going to go the derestriction route.

Check it out:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/740580-Honda-cbr1000rr-2014---2015

Only correction i need to add; thai version gearbox is same as usa and european spec cbr1000rrs.

Also guys, please do not compare z800 or z1000 with a cbr1000rr. These are totally different machines for different purposes. Z series are low diwn grunt tuned naked and cbr1000rr is a fully fledged revvy superbike. Especially z 800 is a budget naked and too heavy!

Full restrcition costs around 70 k thb including european ecu with two programmable keys, dynojet pc5 of bazzaz, a slip on but ideally a full system exhaust, bigger velocity stacks, some airbox mods and a couple of cables to cut.

Bigwing said if conversion is done, it only voids the warranthy of the engine not all parts of the bike. And if you put the stock ecu back, all good aboit warranthy!

Edited by ll2

You can get a clean second hand 2013 or 2014 cbr1000rr from bigwing for 500 - 550 k thb which i think i will go this way as well.

And some of these second hand ones have been derestricted to a certain level already!

Edited by ll2

^^

Honda can void your warranty for just about anything- you'd have to do more than swap the ECU if you have a major problem and you want them to service your bike- from the list of what voids the warranty from their website (even sprockets can cause an issue):

HONDA products modified from original HONDA specifications or fitted with a sports kit will void warranty. (Modifications include but are not limited to, sprocket size, gear ratios, electrical loads, carburation, and intake and exhaust

^^

Honda can void your warranty for just about anything- you'd have to do more than swap the ECU if you have a major problem and you want them to service your bike- from the list of what voids the warranty from their website (even sprockets can cause an issue):

HONDA products modified from original HONDA specifications or fitted with a sports kit will void warranty. (Modifications include but are not limited to, sprocket size, gear ratios, electrical loads, carburation, and intake and exhaust

Will a power commander alone void warranty in thailand?

^^

Will a power commander alone void warranty in thailand?

I would say yes, mostly due to the fact that Kawasaki Thailand voided my engine warranty based solely on my Power Commander, and I would imagine warranties are similar between the manufacturers.

If 'carburation' (meaning altered fuel delivery via rejetting or whatever) voids the warranty, a PC certainly would as well.

Edited by RubberSideDown

^^

Maybe kawasaki is different.

But according to managers and mechs at honda bigwing, derestricting cbr1000rr only voids engine warranthy.

Also, dynojet does not void the warranthy as bigwing do dynotest for aftermarket ecus for a price but they dont install it for you though. You have to install it or get it installed somewhere else and bring it to bigwing for dynotest.

Moreover, bigwing sells aftermarket parts by itself such as pipes that alter exhaust, electronic parts that add adds more electrical load etc etc.

^

Parts authorized and installed by Honda are covered.

You have Honda warranty paperwork- what does it say? The bottom line is that if they even suspect your aftermarket parts caused a problem, you're done. I'm sure they'll dyno any Honda bike regardless of what's been done to it- what's that got to do with a warranty? The fact they won't install it is pretty telling. It clearly says in the part I quoted that carb work voids the warranty- there's no way a PC wouldn't be included in the 'not limited to' section.

Also, the 'engine warranty' is the most important component- it's the source of the majority of expensive repairs.

^

Parts authorized and installed by Honda are covered.

You have Honda warranty paperwork- what does it say? The bottom line is that if they even suspect your aftermarket parts caused a problem, you're done. I'm sure they'll dyno any Honda bike regardless of what's been done to it- what's that got to do with a warranty? The fact they won't install it is pretty telling. It clearly says in the part I quoted that carb work voids the warranty- there's no way a PC wouldn't be included in the 'not limited to' section.

Also, the 'engine warranty' is the most important component- it's the source of the majority of expensive repairs.

I am just passing what honda guys say rsd.

What you say has logic and reason but back home, dynojet or a pipe dies not void warranthy as well.