Tourist self protection

BuddhaChile

I have been to the Irish Clock many a time. The "Thai Robber" wasn't a robber, just an annoying 10 year old kid. Seems the Farang had a bad day. Maybe it was hot, he was pissed, someone short-changed him 5 baht....No excuse to thump a kid. The cops are still looking for him (a fat bald cranky farang), well that narrows it down.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to avoid looking at the hollow end of a revolver. Don't do this.

Have eaten at the Irish Clock many times. This guy has got balls !!

Hard to tell, looks like the Thai guy was brandishing some zip gun?

As long as the guy was going to hit the Thai robber, he should have

finished the job by knocking him out. As the video went on, I kept

waiting for the farang to be shot off of his bike by the Thai guy...

Thai robber? It's a kid trying to sell him flowers, no?

• Like 2

OP, I would suggest you get a military tank, so you will be really protected.

Or stop reading all the time about all this violence that appears on the internet sites.

This is a country of about 60Million people, incidents of violence to appear once or twice a day is nothing unusual and also nothing to worry about.

Keep yourself out of trouble, turn around and go away if there is any threat, never try to be brave.

It doesn't pay.

Hey Costas - That was helpful ...... NOT! I wonder if the guy recently attacked in Udon Thani and now near death tried to turn around and walk away ....

I am not paranoid about this but I dont think your advice to be ignorant is helpful either.

Again .... "In the big picture I don't think the dangers are that prevalent but I would not want to be in a situation without protection."

Better safe than sorry.

Caught with a weapon, or reported for menacing...

Enjoy IDC while waiting for your deportation.

YES!!

Yes. "Him" as in fat cranky falang??

Yes. "Him" as in fat cranky falang??

It's a water pistol.

Amazing set of moobs though.

Don't be tempted to carry a weapon. If you feel that unsafe then you shouldn't be in Thailand in the first place. That aside, would you know how to use a weapon in a tight situation? Some kind of spray should be the absolute extent of deterrent or "weapon". Stay safe.

or you ask a few of the countless ex special forces members here in Th to work as bodyguards for you...

C'mon as long as you behave normal the chance to get in trouble with a local is almost zero...

Dave Walt from The 22 Walt SAS brigade is the man. He can take someone out with a feather

I don't think anyone can prepare for a blindside and unprovoked attack. Random attacks unfortunately occur and sometimes to people who are trained to fight.

I think that general rules such as being confident but polite work better than a stick and a swagger.

Without offending the OP I would also suggest that at 66 you might tone the aggressive look down and go for the grandfatherly appeal.

• Like 2

A walking stick is a good idea, sure won't stop a bullet but you wont be hassled by cops for it, and most would be attackers will see it as you have a weapon,

sling shots ez to obtain here, always try to wear a belt, as it's ez to wrap it around your hand with the buckle at the end and swing it, even a rolled up news paper or magazine will be of some use, and if none of those no one likes rocks being thrown at them, and no I'm not taking the piss,,

Cheersthumbsup.gif

A walking stick is a good idea, sure won't stop a bullet but you wont be hassled by cops for it, and most would be attackers will see it as you have a weapon,

sling shots ez to obtain here, always try to wear a belt, as it's ez to wrap it around your hand with the buckle at the end and swing it, even a rolled up news paper or magazine will be of some use, and if none of those no one likes rocks being thrown at them, and no I'm not taking the piss,,

Cheersthumbsup.gif

laugh.png ....................facepalm.gif ...........................coffee1.gif

...always try to wear a belt, as it's ez to wrap it around your hand with the buckle at the end and swing it,...

So you get jumped by a group of guys, and you say 'Hang on a second', then start to take off your trousers?

That could turn into something of a spectacle especially if the muggers have done a lot of prison time.

The absolute best thing to arm yourself with is self defence skills. Find a good Krav Maga school, simple, effective and easy to learn with the added benefit of getting some good exerecise.

Yes. Krav Maga. After multiple sessions you will have the skills to defend yourself. It is bad-ass stuff but it is meant to be. There is a guy here who teaches it. Really nice. PM me and I'll send details

Do you know how many Thais carry a revolver?

I would be interested in that statistic. Do you have that number?

I suspect that the number of Thais who carry handguns (that is a more meaningful stat than just counting those who carry revolvers) is much lower that some people imagine.

The absolute best thing to arm yourself with is self defence skills. Find a good Krav Maga school, simple, effective and easy to learn with the added benefit of getting some good exerecise.

Yes. Krav Maga. After multiple sessions you will have the skills to defend yourself. It is bad-ass stuff but it is meant to be. There is a guy here who teaches it. Really nice. PM me and I'll send details

Do you know how many Thais carry a revolver?

I would be interested in that statistic. Do you have that number?

I suspect that the number of Thais who carry handguns (that is a more meaningful stat than just counting those who carry revolvers) is much lower that some people imagine.

I would say that most hard core criminal Thais carry some sort of deadly weapon. Firearms would be mostly carried by wealthy Thais due to their very high cost in Thailand. I would hazard a guess that around 10-15% of business people carry firearms and the percentage would be much higher for home defense.

• Like 1

There's a time to fight and a time to leg it. The common sense to know the difference between the two can't be taught.

Not too much common sense needed. If you really can't run you dump the contents of your wallet on the floor and run whilst they're scrabbling about for the best bits. If that doesn't work then you fight....and dirty too. Eyes, ears, balls, cock, anything soft really. Don't be shy, be a psychopath because at that point you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.