Car buy need help please

ThiAmo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a point worth mentioning as to why ladies/gf want the vehicle in their name, SHOW, within minutes the family and friends will all hear about it, a big plus in social standing that big cash came their way from farang.

I recall when I bought my truck years back in my name there were lots of raised eyebrows as to why Mrs.Trans didn't own it. Her daughter even commented to her mum "Ha, you have farang but you own nothing". Mrs Trans did not like her comment and told me. Her daughter went on to rip off two very nice Thai blokes, but she is now potless thumbsup.gif . Karma..

• Like 2

Rubbish............A tourist visa can buy a car............

The key word here is Visa. with one you can buy a car. Without one (30 day visa exempt entry) you will have troubles.

BS! I have bought and registered a big motorcycle on a 30-day exempt stamp.

Why are you calling bullshite ?

I did not say you cannot do it on an exempt entry stamp I said you will have troubles.

Learn to read before opening your pie hole.

With or without visa the process is the same. So what do you mean with 'troubles'?

The key word here is Visa. with one you can buy a car. Without one (30 day visa exempt entry) you will have troubles.

I did not say you cannot do it on an exempt entry stamp I said you will have troubles.

With or without visa the process is the same. So what do you mean with 'troubles'?

Some friends have had trouble getting the residence cert without a visa. Chonburi office. sometime they will give it, sometimes they will not.

Long term Aussie mate of mine bought (in his name) a brand new Honda m/v on a tourist visa up here in Nong Khai last year. He's back in Oz now (sold the m/v back to the dealer one year later as he has returned to Oz with his Lao lady). I'll contact him and ask how he was succesful with such a purchase.

Some friends have had trouble getting the residence cert without a visa. Chonburi office. sometime they will give it, sometimes they will not.

Thanks. So your general statement refers to 1 immigration office.

Long term Aussie mate of mine bought (in his name) a brand new Honda m/v on a tourist visa up here in Nong Khai last year. He's back in Oz now (sold the m/v back to the dealer one year later as he has returned to Oz with his Lao lady). I'll contact him and ask how he was succesful with such a purchase.

He was successful because he did as indicated here many, many times: he went to immigration, got a residence certificate, and used that to register the car in name.

It really is an easy process and procedure, although some of the posts can lead one to believe otherwise.

Edited by stevenl

Thanks. So your general statement refers to 1 immigration office.

Stop being so pig headed.

Not every immigration office will just freely give out a residence certificate to people here on visa exempt entries.

Possibly they are more relaxed on this in tourist area's but this is the exception, not the rule.

Stop being so pig headed.

Not every immigration office will just freely give out a residence certificate to people here on visa exempt entries.

Possibly they are more relaxed on this in tourist area's but this is the exception, not the rule.

bah.gif .

Let me explain it to you this way - about 4 - 5 years ago bought a used Vigo - was told I could not have the truck in my own name = put it in the GF's name....knew all the family - very legit and upstanding......owned homes/land in BKK - CM ......

Haven't seen her in about 3.5 years - but from time to time I see her family - her - or boyfriend (farang) number insert big number driving my truck......

She spends some of her time in the US working on her fleece and release program......

• Like 2

easy man..........crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif .....do you trust your girl friend drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif as i trust my wife beatdeadhorse.gif?.....then put everything on her name, giggle.gif ....you controll the story as a real man ......burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif....... and you will be here the king of mambo.clap2.gif ....no paper work no bull s.h.i.t.

coffee1.gif

Many thanks to all, impressive the great number of replys!

Good friend is telling me now to get the yellow tabien baan at the Amphoe, after that everything would go very smoothly.

Do you agree?

For registration is required: certificate of residence or workpermit or yellow housebook.

• Like 1

Many thanks to all, impressive the great number of replys!

Good friend is telling me now to get the yellow tabien baan at the Amphoe, after that everything would go very smoothly.

Do you agree?

For registration is required: certificate of residence or workpermit or yellow housebook.

If you can't get the certificate of residence from immigration you can get it from your embassy. I never asked for one from immigration, I went straight to my embassy and got it in within a few days. But maybe the embassy might be more expensive than immigration though. I think I paid around 1500 baht for the embassy to receive this certificate.

I dont get this Certificate of Residence thing. Whats an Embassy to do with it?.. A Hotel will fix you up with one.No GFs going to help you avoid the scam. They soon change once you have sussed it.

Certificate of residence is issued by local immigration or by your embassy who charge a lot more.

It is required for various things obtaining driving licence, car registration etc. a work permit will do in it place

Edited by steve187

I dont get this Certificate of Residence thing. Whats an Embassy to do with it?.. A Hotel will fix you up with one.No GFs going to help you avoid the scam. They soon change once you have sussed it.

A hotel will not issue a Residence Certificate.

These are issued by Immigration or your Embassy. You need to provide documents to prove you live at the address that the certificate is being issued against.

I'm staying at the baan of g/f, that's why I'm trying the tabien baan - thing at the Amphoe. First attempt fruitless today, as person in charge absent. Giving it another try tomorrow.Thanks to all for the good advice.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. You need a form of ID (passport), a Tabien Baan (proof of address) and, of course the money. Immigration have no interest in what you purchase in this country but the road tax department does hence the ID and tabien baan.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. You need a form of ID (passport), a Tabien Baan (proof of address) and, of course the money. Immigration have no interest in what you purchase in this country but the road tax department does hence the ID and tabien baan.

Yes, but the vast majority of foreigners living in Thailand don't have a tabien bahn, so this topic is about what kind of proof of address can be used instead and how to get it.

Sophon

Just a point worth mentioning as to why ladies/gf want the vehicle in their name, SHOW, within minutes the family and friends will all hear about it, a big plus in social standing that big cash came their way from farang.

I recall when I bought my truck years back in my name there were lots of raised eyebrows as to why Mrs.Trans didn't own it. Her daughter even commented to her mum "Ha, you have farang but you own nothing". Mrs Trans did not like her comment and told me. Her daughter went on to rip off two very nice Thai blokes, but she is now potless thumbsup.gif . Karma..

Hi same sh?t with me cars in my name but my stupid thai told all the village car in her name what a joke just about me hi so bullsh?t in thailand , you see I am one of the lucky ones have done it all my way not my thais way did not like it but if she likes she can walk any time she likes

Yes, but the vast majority of foreigners living in Thailand don't have a tabien bahn, so this topic is about what kind of proof of address can be used instead and how to get it.

Sophon

Ok I understand. The people you (the OP) need to speak to are the car tax department. They issue tax plates (number plates) specific to the person and his/her address. This is for traceability. The car tax department are the only people that can advise what is required. Immigration might offer advice but cannot help you with that. A visa is not proof of address. I'm unclear about buying a second user car but my guess is that the car tax people will need to be informed similarly to the new car requirements.

You might note that car insurance requirement is similar however the insurance company are the people to speak to for that. They will require proof of address and a valid driving licence. In my case, they were happy with my UK licence.

I'm sure there are some exceptions to the information I have outlined, diplomatic and company cars etc., I'm sure such information will be quickly forthcoming here.

I tired to get the Certificate of Residence from Chang Wattana(Bangkok) IMM Office and they will only issue one,after your 1st 90 day report.

(I'm on a Tourist Visa)

I brought a Truck from Toyota by going to the local Amphoe and getting a letter confining my address,this required the Headman as a witness to state I lived at that address.

This was accepted by Toyota (they were registering and taxing the vehicle).

My Embassy(British) want 2,520 for the certificate, it cost me 50Baht at the Amphoe and no charge from the headman(his duty he said),good man. Got him some whisky anyway,which he really didn't want to take,very refreshing.

Tired to get a Yellow book at the same time,but no good without a Affirmation of Freedom to Marry!,. I'M happily divorced.

Good luck

Edited by MAZ3

Walked in, choose model, blah, blah paid 10,000bht deposit, came back 7 days later with bank cheque, picked up car.

To this day never been asked to show visa stamp. Car, insurance, rego all in my name.

I think someone taking the mickey

What documents did you have to provide ?