Car buy need help please

ThiAmo

Hi everyone

I'm again on a non-immigr.O for retirees, applying for 1 year extension of stay in due time. Want to buy a new car in my name, went to immigration with gf in order to get necessary residence certificate. lady there didn't comply with my request saying that I can't buy a car now, because I haven't stayed in the kingdom for the minimum of 1 year needed to be entitled to own a car. Her suggestion: buy the car in the name of gf now and transfer ownership to me later. nowhere I've read of this 1 year-waiting period.

Correct information received from immigration or not?

What were your experiences in this regard?

Many thanks in advance!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all!

Gf and family trustworthy beyond any doubt.

So what practical step(s) would you suggest me to undertake now?

Go down there and demand the certificate of residence which is required for buying the car.

If they still don't give it to you take out your phone and call the car dealer, tell him you won't buy the car if it's not in your name (he will know the rules) then pass the phone to the immigration officer and let the dealer handle the argument.

He will put her right.

That's what I'd do.

• Like 1

Rubbish............A tourist visa can buy a car............

The key word here is Visa. with one you can buy a car. Without one (30 day visa exempt entry) you will have troubles.

Actually the OP didn't mention Visa being the issue, but a requirement to having lived in Thailand for a year.

That is a new one for me.........

Either she is just talking nonsense or, as seems to be more popular here, the girlfriend is embellishing in translation.

What fun. :D

It sounds to me like an error in translation/miscommunication. Many immigration offices e.g. Bangkok will not issue a certificate of residence until you are doing 90 day reports. My guess is that the immigration officer was trying to tell you, that they will not issue the certificate until you are on a one year permission to stay, and not that you have to have been here one year before you are allowed to buy a car.

But if immigration won't issue the certificate, then you will have to get one from your embassy (I am assuming here that you don't have a work permit or a yellow tabien bahn).

Sophon

I bought a car a week ago from a dealer in Pattaya. They sell to a lot of farangs. I am still on a tourist visa. I got a residence certificate from Chonburi immigration with the stated purpose for the certificate being to purchase a car.

But if immigration won't issue the certificate, then you will have to get one from your embassy (I am assuming here that you don't have a work permit or a yellow tabien bahn).

Sophon another thread states that the police can issue a residence certificate although I suspect that this is a case of theory and practice not matching up. Probably depends how near an immigration office you are

I purchased a car last year on a tourist Visa, The Nissan salesman tried/told to get me to register it in my wife's name, but I didn't, the car is in my name and my wife helped me do it. I trust my wife but when it comes to large sums of money, I trust no one.

• Like 1

Hi what a load of rubbish from immigration the gf is in on it , up to you I had a 60 day tourist visa as long as you have 20 days left on it your are ok to buy and you have a o visa so you are ok to go to immigration and get the paper work done but you will need proof of were you live .

I had my paper work from immigration in the first week of being in thailand and went to bangkok to buy car , my thai gf told me my sister has good dealer to go to so I went there and the sales man told this and that about the car and said to me if you put car in gf name will give you discount of 6,000 thai bht I said to him and my gf are you on drugs no way got up and walk out .

So the next day took the gf to the car yard from were I was staying walk in and said to the man want car has to be in my name and have here by Friday ready for me this was on Monday , I had the car by Friday to drive away in and my name how mean western man walk in of the street and say get me a car in 5 days and I will give you 1 mill thai bht not a lot and the car yard was so helping to me could not believe it my thai just seat there and did not say much , she was not in on the first car yard I am sure of that but he was from surin and she is from surin and he was trying to get her the car in her name and if she was I not give a sh?t it is my money and I work for the money not my thai if she not like then she can go and I get new thai lady a lot of them around looking for rich western man with money and like I have said thai woman are like mango trees and you need a new mango go to the next mango tree and get a new mango .

Thanks to all!

Gf and family trustworthy beyond any doubt.

So what practical step(s) would you suggest me to undertake now?

Put the car in her name then! rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Never ever trust a woman let it be thai or from the west and if you think the family are trustworthy you need to look again .tell them to buy the car and see how it go's not far I can tell you that and if you have no money lets see how far you go not far at all you need to read a lot more about thailand and thai woman never ever trusts a thai woman and you will go a very long way in thailand but up to you .

HELLO

TO BUY THE CAR, AND HAVE IT IN YOUR OWN NAME,

ANY VALID VISA WILL DO,

YOUR TABIANBHAN WITH YOUR ADDRESS AS PROOF OF WHERE YOU LIVE

AND A LETTER FROM IMMIGRATION GIVING YOU PERMISSION TO BUY THE CAR,( THE LETTER FROM IMMIGRATION COSTS BAHT 500 )

WITHOUT THE TABIANBHAN AS PROOF OF WHERE YOU LIVE YOU CANNOT PURCHASETHE CAR IN YOUR NAME, YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY IT IN YOUR GFs NAME THEN DO A TRANSFER AT A LATER DATE

Hi what a load of rubbish from immigration the gf is in on it , up to you I had a 60 day tourist visa as long as you have 20 days left on it your are ok to buy and you have a o visa so you are ok to go to immigration and get the paper work done but you will need proof of were you live .

I had my paper work from immigration in the first week of being in thailand and went to bangkok to buy car , my thai gf told me my sister has good dealer to go to so I went there and the sales man told this and that about the car and said to me if you put car in gf name will give you discount of 6,000 thai bht I said to him and my gf are you on drugs no way got up and walk out .

So the next day took the gf to the car yard from were I was staying walk in and said to the man want car has to be in my name and have here by Friday ready for me this was on Monday , I had the car by Friday to drive away in and my name how mean western man walk in of the street and say get me a car in 5 days and I will give you 1 mill thai bht not a lot and the car yard was so helping to me could not believe it my thai just seat there and did not say much , she was not in on the first car yard I am sure of that but he was from surin and she is from surin and he was trying to get her the car in her name and if she was I not give a sh?t it is my money and I work for the money not my thai if she not like then she can go and I get new thai lady a lot of them around looking for rich western man with money and like I have said thai woman are like mango trees and you need a new mango go to the next mango tree and get a new mango .

Sorry, did not read your post in full.

After you incorrectly mentioned something about needing 20 days left on a visa I switched off.

The key word here is Visa. with one you can buy a car. Without one (30 day visa exempt entry) you will have troubles.

BS! I have bought and registered a big motorcycle on a 30-day exempt stamp.

Why are you calling bullshite ?

I did not say you cannot do it on an exempt entry stamp I said you will have troubles.

Learn to read before opening your pie hole.

HELLO

TO BUY THE CAR, AND HAVE IT IN YOUR OWN NAME,

ANY VALID VISA WILL DO,

YOUR TABIANBHAN WITH YOUR ADDRESS AS PROOF OF WHERE YOU LIVE

AND A LETTER FROM IMMIGRATION GIVING YOU PERMISSION TO BUY THE CAR,( THE LETTER FROM IMMIGRATION COSTS BAHT 500 )

WITHOUT THE TABIANBHAN AS PROOF OF WHERE YOU LIVE YOU CANNOT PURCHASETHE CAR IN YOUR NAME, YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY IT IN YOUR GFs NAME THEN DO A TRANSFER AT A LATER DATE

What a load of bullsh?t you can get a letter from you hotel say you live there to buy a car or from your landlord saying you rent from him and live at this address.

• Like 1