Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Did anyone get a reference number after submitting there application at Trendy, All I got was a photocopy of the 'document receipt' and a passport collection details.

I just rang +44 300 222 000 as was told I need a reference number for my son's application!?

He was able to look at my renewal application by just giving my date of birth! and I was told on the current address part I put my permanent address down in the UK, instead of my hotel address in Thailand (working in Thailand for 8 months and staying in several hotels during that time) and this was also a problem with the application.

I asked him if he could change it, but said he could not and I would have to wait until the officer looked at the application and he would email me.

Application date was on 21.05, arrived in the UK on 27.05. Charged my credit card on the 27.05 as well BUT they still haven't even looked at my applications!

Overseas applicants do not get application reference or status numbers unfortunately???

I feel for you on this one as there is no practical or logical reason for supplying a Thai residential address. If you have a Thai visa or extension of stay in your son's old passport (which there will be a photocopy of ) then you have satisfied Thai Immigration of his status, so that should be sufficient for HMPO. Fire off an email to complain and see if they can ammend that nonsensical requirement too.

Good luck.

This is what I tried to tell him that I did not get issued a reference number but then he said in that case he could not tell me my sons application status due to data protection!

my son is half Thai and only 4 months old (got his Thai passport in 5 days), so this is his first British passport.

I have a Thai visa and work permit but it does not stated any address...only my places of work.

My address is constantly changing due to my work assignments so I thought it would be best to at least give an address that they can reach me at....

I have emailed them at the Newport office to see what they say..

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did anyone get a reference number after submitting there application at Trendy, All I got was a photocopy of the 'document receipt' and a passport collection details.

I just rang +44 300 222 000 as was told I need a reference number for my son's application!?

He was able to look at my renewal application by just giving my date of birth! and I was told on the current address part I put my permanent address down in the UK, instead of my hotel address in Thailand (working in Thailand for 8 months and staying in several hotels during that time) and this was also a problem with the application.

I asked him if he could change it, but said he could not and I would have to wait until the officer looked at the application and he would email me.

Application date was on 21.05, arrived in the UK on 27.05. Charged my credit card on the 27.05 as well BUT they still haven't even looked at my applications!

Overseas applicants do not get application reference or status numbers unfortunately???

I feel for you on this one as there is no practical or logical reason for supplying a Thai residential address. If you have a Thai visa or extension of stay in your son's old passport (which there will be a photocopy of ) then you have satisfied Thai Immigration of his status, so that should be sufficient for HMPO. Fire off an email to complain and see if they can ammend that nonsensical requirement too.

Good luck.

This is what I tried to tell him that I did not get issued a reference number but then he said in that case he could not tell me my sons application status due to data protection!

my son is half Thai and only 4 months old (got his Thai passport in 5 days), so this is his first British passport.

I have a Thai visa and work permit but it does not stated any address...only my places of work.

My address is constantly changing due to my work assignments so I thought it would be best to at least give an address that they can reach me at....

You change address often, but what about your son. Has he been entered into a Tabien Baan?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Good luck.

You change address often, but what about your son. Has he been entered into a Tabien Baan?

he's registered at his grand parents address same as his mother, if that's what you mean. But it is not his current or permanent address as he travels with me and he will live in the UK after my Thai assignments have finished.

Looks like it would be better to return to the UK and do the applications..and use the check and return service at the post office..

Good luck.

he's registered at his grand parents address same as his mother, if that's what you mean. But it is not his current or permanent address as he travels with me and he will live in the UK after my Thai assignments have finished.

Looks like it would be better to return to the UK and do the applications..and use the check and return service at the post office..

I think you're right. Get him over on his Thai passport and do what needs to be done in the UK.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by ubonjoe
fixed broken quotes

Good luck.

Who ever told you about this data protection thing is full of sh*t as you are your child's legal guardian as they are not yet of legal age

Its not only British expats in Thailand that cant get their passport renewal on time.

An accountant has been stranded in Sri Lanka for almost three months and is unable to get home because he does not have a passport due to the chaotic backlog of applications in Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10887351/Accountant-stranded-in-Sri-Lanka-due-to-passport-backlog.html

Edited by sometime

Its not only British expats in Thailand that cant get their passport renewal on time.

An accountant has been stranded in Sri Lanka for almost three months and is unable to get home because he does not have a passport due to the chaotic backlog of applications in Britain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10887351/Accountant-stranded-in-Sri-Lanka-due-to-passport-backlog.html

Why doesn't he get an ETD?

But if he were to go back to the UK on an ETD, he would need to return to Sri Lanka in order to collect his new passport once someone from HMPO's Liverpool office had turfed him/herself out of the pub and sobered up sufficiently as to be able to send it on its merry way..

Edited by OJAS

But if he were to go back to the UK on an ETD, he would need to return to Sri Lanka in order to collect his new passport once someone from HMPO's Liverpool office has turfed him/herself out of the pub and sobered up sufficiently as to be able to send it on its merry way..

Perhaps claim that the renewal was lost in the post and re-apply in the UK.

But if he were to go back to the UK on an ETD, he would need to return to Sri Lanka in order to collect his new passport once someone from HMPO's Liverpool office has turfed him/herself out of the pub and sobered up sufficiently as to be able to send it on its merry way..

Perhaps claim that the renewal was lost in the post and re-apply in the UK.

He's supposed to be an accountant with a university degree! Don't fancy his future job prospects if he couldn't sort this out for himself.

Hit the BBC now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27783326

• Like 1

Be nice to know why the excuse of "enhanced security checks" for overseas applicants causes longer processing times in the order of weeks, not hours, especially when all the extra required information is provided as per the application procedure (what do these people actually do?).It is nothing more than a cop out and being British we are expected to just shrug our shoulders, keep quiet, whinge into our pint pot and accept a pisspoor service for one of the highest costs of a passport in the world!!!

• Like 1

Was watching BBC news this morning and in UK people are complaining about lost holidays etc because passports didn't get back to them in time, one lady sent for renewal 7 or 8 weeks before her holiday was due to start and had to cancel the cruise she had booked.

The office is still claiming there is no backlog !!!!!!.

Was watching BBC news this morning and in UK people are complaining about lost holidays etc because passports didn't get back to them in time, one lady sent for renewal 7 or 8 weeks before her holiday was due to start and had to cancel the cruise she had booked.

The office is still claiming there is no backlog !!!!!!.

As that nice honest lady the Vannesa May said thereis no backlog and we all know she would not lie as she is a good honest tory

Be nice to know why the excuse of "enhanced security checks" for overseas applicants causes longer processing times in the order of weeks, not hours, especially when all the extra required information is provided as per the application procedure (what do these people actually do?).It is nothing more than a cop out and being British we are expected to just shrug our shoulders, keep quiet, whinge into our pint pot and accept a pisspoor service for one of the highest costs of a passport in the world!!!

Particularly when you can do it yourself for about 40 thousand baht and 60 hours of wasted time.

According to Daily Mail (you remember that the unmentionable unavailable Paper) 500 000 backlog, lots of photos of unopened boxes ... despite the poor luvvies working 7am until midnight,hardly inspiring service whatever way you look at it

I got an Email today saying my passport has arrived in Bangkok.. I applied April 10th if anybody is interested..

took mine to the wendy house same day as you, got mine delivered 1 week earlier than you via DHL to my place of work, not to my proof of address or to Wendy House BKK.

No backlog of passport applications/renewals?

Here is a report from the Guardian newspaper.

White boxes from UK, orange boxes from overseas.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/10/passport-office-photographs-row-delays

What shocks me about the pictures in the article is that the overwhelming majority of the backed up applications are from overseas. Surely there must be many times more local applications than overseas; there should be more white boxes than orange. It certainly looks as if expat applications are being given a lower priority than non-expat ones.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the head of the passport office is to face a parliamentary committee next Tuesday. He's probably a bit nervous about the prospect.

If Phoney Bliar can get away with murder (of hundreds of thousands) then it's an easy one for May to get Pugh to fall on his sword (with a guaranteed golden handshake) I'm sure!

A progress report on my own saga .... done Trendy on 9 April and have received nothing. I spoke to the tracking/progress people on 2 and 6 June and both times I was told that Liverpool would contact me within 72 hours. Nothing. Spoke to them again 10 mins ago and the girl told me that my application had been withdrawn on 24 May - obviously not by me. So, yet another promise that Liverpool will contact me within 72 hours. I get the feeling that there's more chance of Man Utd contacting me.

What was that country that gave Thaksin a passport? sad.png

Edited by rajyindee

No backlog of passport applications/renewals?

Here is a report from the Guardian newspaper.

White boxes from UK, orange boxes from overseas.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/10/passport-office-photographs-row-delays

What shocks me about the pictures in the article is that the overwhelming majority of the backed up applications are from overseas. Surely there must be many times more local applications than overseas; there should be more white boxes than orange. It certainly looks as if expat applications are being given a lower priority than non-expat ones.

If Liverpool is the only UKPA office where ALL applications and renewals from overseas are directed, then it stands to reason that there would be many more overseas applications than local ones, no?

In the article in the Daily Telegraph about the same subject, it states, "James Brokenshire, a junior Home Office minister said the number of applications is at its highest for 12 years."

So we have a junior flunky at the Home Office and an interim boss at the UKPA both either in total denial or suspiciously caught in another big lie. I seriously wonder if Theresa May appoints such gormless buggers so that she can fire them or announce reforms and 'action' and make herself look more executive than she really is. She has already managed to get a fellow cabinet minister that was openly critical of the Home Office's (and particularly of one of the Home Secretary's own advisers) attitude to security to apologize to the PM. This was in light of the plot to Islamicise secular state schools in Birmingham that seems to have been completely missed by the HO.

Has she got pictures of somebody or what?

Sky has taken up the overseas angle ...

Interesting point arises from the Sky News piece, when they talk about a 'special service' which can be requested where only a copy of the passport is sent in with the application (this is the universal case here in Thailand).

Interesting point is this, the Sky reporter states that the old passport is only actually invalidated when the new passport is 'issued'.

So it appears that up to the point were our new passports are 'issued' that the old passport is not in fact cancelled and remains valid for travel.

Would be interesting to try and get a clearer definition from HMPO as to when a new passport is actually' issued - it does not appear to be the date of application and may be as late as the date the passport is actually sent for printing.

Sky has taken up the overseas angle ...

Interesting point arises from the Sky News piece, when they talk about a 'special service' which can be requested where only a copy of the passport is sent in with the application (this is the universal case here in Thailand).

Interesting point is this, the Sky reporter states that the old passport is only actually invalidated when the new passport is 'issued'.

So it appears that up to the point were our new passports are 'issued' that the old passport is not in fact cancelled and remains valid for travel.

Would be interesting to try and get a clearer definition from HMPO as to when a new passport is actually' issued - it does not appear to be the date of application and may be as late as the date the passport is actually sent for printing.

As usual another typical British balls up,they have not a clue.