Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

I submitted my passport to Trendy On 3rd of July and picked it up on Friday 25 July! So they CAN get their finger out when required. 22 days is not bad in this current situation.

World Record, surely? I would settle for double that. Lucky boy!

I did talk to someone I know in the Embassy, who talked to someone they know in UK! Even so it was still quick!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I submitted my passport to Trendy On 3rd of July and picked it up on Friday 25 July! So they CAN get their finger out when required. 22 days is not bad in this current situation.

World Record, surely? I would settle for double that. Lucky boy!

I did talk to someone I know in the Embassy, who talked to someone they know in UK! Even so it was still quick!

You could make a few bob as an agent. I'm sure there are plenty willing to offer a couple of thousand baht to get their passports back within 4 weeks (or your money back etc)

Just when this thread was starting to tail off.................................

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28519085

Bloody hell! Just as I make an appointment. If they do strike over poor pay and under staffing, then Pugh and May must resign. Or perhaps bring in a gang of chimps and see if they can do a better job.

Enough is enough. This is getting beyond a joke now.

I will be getting my second passport when i am back i Glasgow next month. I'll do the walk in one day service to stop any hang ups

Planning to do this myself next month in Durham. Will there be any issues when returning to BKK airport with a cancelled old passport containing visa extension and re-entry permit when stamping in the new passport?

Planning to do this myself next month in Durham. Will there be any issues when returning to BKK airport with a cancelled old passport containing visa extension and re-entry permit when stamping in the new passport?

No problem. Just show both passports on entry to show re-entry permit in your old passport and they will stamp you into the country in your new passport.

Then go to immigration to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

• Like 1

Despite me sending Trendy an E-mail saying that I shall collect my passport this coming Wednesday, I have just received a call from them asking when I shall be calling to collect my passport. The right hand.....

So, I noted the phone number they used. If it's helpful to someone, the number was 021-687394

• Like 2

Despite me sending Trendy an E-mail saying that I shall collect my passport this coming Wednesday, I have just received a call from them asking when I shall be calling to collect my passport. The right hand.....

So, I noted the phone number they used. If it's helpful to someone, the number was 021-687394

When Trendy called you to ask when you will collect your passport seams to indicate that they did not receive the email, or not read the email.

On the other hand, for security reason they might not accept an email about collecting the passport and want to receive a phone call instead.

A bit negative, are the passport employees at Trendy British or Thai.

When Trendy called you to ask when you will collect your passport seams to indicate that they did not receive the email, or not read the email.

On the other hand, for security reason they might not accept an email about collecting the passport and want to receive a phone call instead.

A bit negative, are the passport employees at Trendy British or Thai.

Their email to inform me that the passport is ready for collection contained the line

"Please send an email to HMPO Bangkok Centre to confirm collection of the passport."

This I did, so they didn't bother to read it. Not unexpected.

The passport application time-factor will be improved and therefor will get quicker to receive for the applicants both at home (UK) and abroad.

This is due to the fact that > Home Secretary Theresa May < has stated in parliament that 100 additional new staff will be engaged and employed in due course at HMPO in Liverpool.

Currently, HMPO have the highest demands for passports and have so far issued over 3 Million passports during 2014.

As a result of the above, passport application matters will time-wise improve, no doubt about it now.

The passport application time-factor will be improved and therefor will get quicker to receive for the applicants both at home (UK) and abroad.

This is due to the fact that > Home Secretary Theresa May < has stated in parliament that 100 additional new staff will be engaged and employed in due course at HMPO in Liverpool.

Currently, HMPO have the highest demands for passports and have so far issued over 3 Million passports during 2014.

As a result of the above, passport application matters will time-wise improve, no doubt about it now.

I strongly suspect that HMPO currently having the highest demand for passports is probably not unconnected to their now being responsible for handling applications from British expats living anywhere on this great planet of ours, which were previously handled by the FCO (in the form of the Hong Kong Consulate-General in our case).

Anyway HMPO will presumably need to go through the processes of recruiting and training these additional 100 pairs of hands before they can make any significant inroads into the contents of all those orange boxes which are rapidly gathering dust in an ex-conference room in their Liverpool office. So I am, personally, not holding my breath for any dramatic improvement in the current dire situation in the short term at any rate.

And, there again, there is the question of whether an extra 100 pairs of hands will, in practice, make much difference in the longer term in any event.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

I would have thought Theresa May was getting paid for making sure the door was locked

Before the horse bolted.

• Like 1

Any chance of a link to this report? - can't see anything on the wires.

Or perhaps you are referring to the nett 189 'extra' staff recruited to deal with the overseas applications work taken over from the FCO during fiscal year 2013?

Or perhaps the 'extra' staff temporarily transferred to applications following the Guardian 'orange mountain ' leak in June?

Total HMPO staff at 31st March 2014 was 3,353 permanently employed.

Go for it mate.

No reply to my last letter complaining of the system by the way (why am I not surprised).

if I lived in Bangkok I would happily sort your daughter`s passport for you.

Come on you Brits in Bangkok help this guy out.

Currently waiting for Trendy to open.

Oh and well done digital.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by parryhandy
  • Like 2

So much for having to keep our passports as ID. My ThaiDriving Licence is sufficient, or a certified passport copy just as I suspected all along. An email to the"authorities"will be winging its way from me.

Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

1.jpg

Representatives from the expat community, thaivisa.com and from local hotels was today Tuesday informed by Thai Immigration

and Hua Hin Municipality.

HUA HIN: -- [thaivisa.com] Hua Hin Immigration is from today enforcing the existing rule that foreigners are required to carry a valid photo ID at all times.

At a meeting with Hua Hin Immigration and municipality, Thaivisa.com was informed of the news about the immediate enforcement regarding the requirements for foreigners - both tourists and expats - to carry valid photo ID at all times. Thaivisa has learned that Immigration is likely to enforce this nationwide.

Valid ID's are:

- Thai Drivers Licence

- Passport original

- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

Penalty:

Failure to carry valid ID as above is 2,000 Baht.

24-hour reporting

Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address. This applies to both tourists and expats.

Edited by watso63

So much for having to keep our passports as ID. My ThaiDriving Licence is sufficient, or a certified passport copy just as I suspected all along. An email to the"authorities"will be winging its way from me.

Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

1.jpg

Representatives from the expat community, thaivisa.com and from local hotels was today Tuesday informed by Thai Immigration

and Hua Hin Municipality.

HUA HIN: -- [thaivisa.com] Hua Hin Immigration is from today enforcing the existing rule that foreigners are required to carry a valid photo ID at all times.

At a meeting with Hua Hin Immigration and municipality, Thaivisa.com was informed of the news about the immediate enforcement regarding the requirements for foreigners - both tourists and expats - to carry valid photo ID at all times. Thaivisa has learned that Immigration is likely to enforce this nationwide.

Valid ID's are:

- Thai Drivers Licence

- Passport original

- Copy of passport verified and stamped by Hua Hin Immigration

Penalty:

Failure to carry valid ID as above is 2,000 Baht.

24-hour reporting

Hua Hin Immigration is from today also enforcing the requirements that you and your landlord (condominium owner, house owner etc) must report to Immigration within 24 hours of moving in to a new address. On your arrival card you already reported your place of stay, and if that changes you need to visit Immigration and report your new address. This applies to both tourists and expats.

This requirement would only appear to apply in Hua Hin at the present time. Therefore as a matter of tactics I think that it would be better to await an official announcement from the Immigration Bureau (if/when forthcoming) that it is being applied nationwide before pressing HMPO to modify their passport renewal procedures accordingly.

• Like 1

I strongly suspect that HMPO currently having the highest demand for passports is probably not unconnected to their now being responsible for handling applications from British expats living anywhere on this great planet of ours, which were previously handled by the FCO (in the form of the Hong Kong Consulate-General in our case).

Anyway HMPO will presumably need to go through the processes of recruiting and training these additional 100 pairs of hands before they can make any significant inroads into the contents of all those orange boxes which are rapidly gathering dust in an ex-conference room in their Liverpool office. So I am, personally, not holding my breath for any dramatic improvement in the current dire situation in the short term at any rate.

And, there again, there is the question of whether an extra 100 pairs of hands will, in practice, make much difference in the longer term in any event.

Prior to the passport applications via Hong Kong in was done entirely at the UK Embassy in Bangkok and applicants could / would go to their regional UK Consulate and the application form was given there, and applicants completed it there.

Then the old passport together with two photo's and the requested payment was then send by the Consulate to the UK Embassy in Bangkok, and the new passport was produced by the UK Embassy in Bangkok and returned to the Consulate within 7 to 10 days.

When received the Consulate would phone the applicant to collect it.

This was a good application procedure, unfortunately it was abandoned and the current application procedure is very messy.

Next year will be a general election in the UK, should the Labour Party win then those current messy passport application procedures might be changed, and applications for Brits in Thailand might be made again via the UK Consulate to the US Embassy in Bangkok.

Yesterday, after 12 days I finally received an answer from Newport regarding my passport enquiry. They said it had been printed on the 22nd and I could expect to receive it in 7 - 10 days. Last Friday I had the call from Trendy to say it was available for collection, it had in fact been dispatched 5 days before they sent the email.

My wife picked it up this morning, I am not fit to travel at the moment, The passport is dated the 22nd and appears to have been dispatched on the 23rd and arriving at Trendy on the 25th.

Just need to get the letter now and I will be ready to report back to immigration next week.

• Like 1

Was the round trip definitely 2000 km's? Just that you have never mentioned it before!

Glad you got the damned thing anwyay, but what are you going to talk about all day now??

Btw, did you not hve to go to the Brit embassy to get that letter for immigration before they transfer the visas?

Embassy was shut by the time I got there, only open until 11:00 for consular services, understand that it is possible to do this by email.

btw you can't transfer visas, only extensions/re-entry permits and entry stamps; for visas you show the old passport.

Just to confirm, the British Embassy will take the transfer authorization request by email, so you definitely don't need to go to the British Embassy in person, but it would of course be quicker.

Emailed asking, got a reply the next specifying required info, which I emailed straight back. they then replied that they would send the Transfer Authorisation Letter by EMS the next day, sure enough, it came the following day (to Phuket)..

For reference:

Dear .............,

Would you mind scan your old and new passport ( photo page only) and email to us, please. We also need to know type of your visa as well ( e.g . retirement, Non- immigrant, tourist etc) and the last date you entered Thailand.

Thank you very much

Consular Bangkok

Thanks for the info. Sent the email and had an answer within half an hour to say the letter would be sent in the morning.

Can't fault that service.

• Like 2

well finally home from Bangkok after collecting the passport.

VFS have definitely had a rollicking because all the staff were being over polite.

You now get taken into a cubicle to collect and like digital said the dhl package has already been discreetly opened. I queried this and was told that VFS do this to "check".

It is now also safe to mention that the address I gave as proof of residence was wrong on at least 2 counts. I only found out after I had got the residence certificate translated into English and showed both versions to my daughter. I used an internet bill to get the certificate which apparently has 1 mistake in the address but still gets to us every month. Then immigration made another error when using that to make the certificate. Seeing as I had already spent 1400 baht on this pointless exercise and knew damn well Liverpool cant actually check a damn thing in Thailand I sent it anyway.

So there you are people, as long as you give them something which looks like a real address and its official looking ....

good luck everyone it cant get any worse than it has been.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is a bit strange. My wife collected mine today and when she got back she said she had been asked to open it and check the contents before she left.

there's an easy peel strip that runs down one side of the DHL envelope. They peel back just enough from one end only so they can get the white envelope inside.It's then been cello taped over.The white envelope contains your passport which has also been opened neatly with a pair of scissors at one end. Its like a credit card envelope. If your not looking closely you wouldn't notice it.

Its very dodgy IMO and I cannot believe they are supposed to do this because what would they need to check and for what reason ? and the way she handed it to me, it was like open it in our presence so you can check it. I said "its been opened already" and she quickly mumbled "for check" Its been done so neatly its alarming. Add that to the fact that some passports have been there for longer than they should have ... maybe the passports did a .... best stop there eh

Edited by parryhandy
  • Like 2