Chinese 'call center' gang hiding in Chiang Mai busted by the police

webfact

Chinese call center gang hiding in Chiang Mai busted by the police

CHIANG MAI, 20 November 2014 (NNT) - Police have arrested a gang of 49 Chinese and Taiwanese nationals involved in a call-center scam victimizing their own people in Chiang Mai. The gang was allegedly responsible for causing losses up to 15 million baht or approximately 1 million Yuan.

Among the arrested, 15 were Chinese and 34 were Taiwanese. However, one suspect has managed to escape and still remains at large. The perpetrators have taken refuge in Thailand to conduct their scamming operations.

According to the police, the gang operated in three different teams. The first team was responsible for screening through the names of possible victims and obtaining their personal information as well as figuring out their weaknesses.

The second team called their intended victims and falsely claimed that they were police or government officers who were conducting an investigation into money laundering cases. Finally, the last team would figure out ways for the victims to transfer money to the gang by pretending they were high-ranking officials.

Police have claimed that the gang members have rented a house of a foreign engineer for more than four months already. However, the police have been notified by Chinese authorities who have been keeping track of their IP address.

Link : http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNSOC5711200010029

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-11-20 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Why do they not say Chinese and Taiwanese busted instead of leaving most of us to think it was a whitee busted

What part of: " Chinese ‘call center’ gang"

and "Police have arrested a gang of 49 Chinese and Taiwanese nationals"

and ... "Among the arrested, 15 were Chinese and 34 were Taiwanese."

do you not understand?

Time to sharpen up your reading skills.

The email newsletter says:

Foreign 'call center' gang hiding in Chiang Mai busted by the police

and also marked the Message as Must Read and this with only 5 replies are the time the news came in my mailbox.

If TV would label is as Chinese Call Center gang, I wouldn't even want to read it. A lot of German, Swedish and other Europeans are currently recruited to move to Chiang Mai to work in those call centers.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 1

Why do they not say Chinese and Taiwanese busted instead of leaving most of us to think it was a whitee busted

do you not understand?

and also marked the Message as Must Read and this with only 5 replies are the time the news came in my mailbox.

If TV would label is as Chinese Call Center gang, I wouldn't even want to read it. A lot of German, Swedish and other Europeans are currently recruited to move to Chiang Mai to work in those call centers.

if you could pass on contact details of who is doing the recruiting, am currently out of work and looking..

• Like 1

What part of: " Chinese call center gang"

do you not understand?

Stop the presses please! After all...it's all about Me.

"The second team called their intended victims and falsely claimed that they were police or government officers who were conducting an investigation into money laundering cases. Finally, the last team would figure out ways for the victims to transfer money to the gang by pretending they were high-ranking officials."

Ah, this is where they went wrong....cutting into someone's action or not sharing it...

Anyway, what I would like to know is, why is there no finger pointing pic?

"The second team called their intended victims and falsely claimed that they were police or government officers who were conducting an investigation into money laundering cases. Finally, the last team would figure out ways for the victims to transfer money to the gang by pretending they were high-ranking officials."

Ah, this is where they went wrong....cutting into someone's action or not sharing it...

Anyway, what I would like to know is, why is there no finger pointing pic?

This wasn't a finger pointing photo-op for obvious reasons.

We've got one of these call centre gangs in our moobaan here in Sansai. I was surprised to see they weren't the ones caught in the raids - they were still hard at work on their computers when I drove past this evening. They have flash cars with custom number plates like "8888" "9999" and a couple expensive choppers. This is a very middle-class moobaan and they stand out like a sore thumb here. Everyone I've spoken to here has the same idea what they are doing, but no one seems to have the balls to call the cops on them, perhaps understandably.

....foreigners....

...how can people so seamlessly set up such operations........to begin with.....???

Thailand is famous for foreigners setting up boiler room operations.

This has been going on for a very long time.

They were all in Wall Street Before GFC.

The USA and the rest of the world bailed out these state sanctioned boiler rooms when the poor dears were in danger of losing their bonuses .

Again another thread, another excuse for the usual suspects to indulge in thai bashing.

• Like 1

do you not understand?

Read the reply directly after your so called costic remark and see you were wrong for the heading I replied too was not saying Chinese call center at the time got it or do you need to sharpen your eye sightwhistling.gif

We've got one of these call centre gangs in our moobaan here in Sansai. I was surprised to see they weren't the ones caught in the raids - they were still hard at work on their computers when I drove past this evening. They have flash cars with custom number plates like "8888" "9999" and a couple expensive choppers. This is a very middle-class moobaan and they stand out like a sore thumb here. Everyone I've spoken to here has the same idea what they are doing, but no one seems to have the balls to call the cops on them, perhaps understandably.

Maybe they're legit... if they don't have dogs that bark at night then leave them alone.

do you not understand?

Read the reply directly after your so called costic remark and see you were wrong for the heading I replied too was not saying Chinese call center at the time got it or do you need to sharpen your eye sightwhistling.gif

Then you should have wrote: "Why did the Thai Visa newsletter not say it was a Chinese gang that got busted." Also, the correct spelling is 'caustic' and not costic. Sigh.

However, the police have been notified by Chinese authorities who have been keeping track of their IP address.

Cheap Charlies..... Not even using an overseas VPN...

If the Silk Road Marketplace on the Tor Network (The Dark Web) was shut down and the owner-operatorarrested by the FBI with help from a host of European Law Enforcement Agencies through Europol and Eurojus, then I think that anyone who thinks they are secure with a VPN would be found out by the Authorities the same length of time it takes to spread mayonnaise on a piece of bread. China's PLA has some of the best computer hacker's on the Planet. The Chinese Authorities probably gave the ThaiPolice not only the IP address but also, satellite imagery of the location, GPS coordinates, voice recordings, names of the suspects etc. IMHO

post-6579-0-75147400-1416505116_thumb.pn

What part of: " Chinese call center gang"

do you not understand?

Read the reply directly after your so called costic remark and see you were wrong for the heading I replied too was not saying Chinese call center at the time got it or do you need to sharpen your eye sight:whistling:

Then you should have wrote: "Why did the Thai Visa newsletter not say it was a Chinese gang that got busted." Also, the correct spelling is 'caustic' and not costic. Sigh.

Then you should have wrote.... Maybe it should be ..... should have written ? Sigh, sigh.