I want to apply for one year multiple entry visa but have a misemeanor criminal record in the US.

I hold US Citizenship however I have a simple battery misdemeanor and DUI convictions,,the SB occured around 98 and the DUI in 99. The cost of the Visa is almost $800 and I don't want to lose it if I am not approved. Do they consider misdemanors a part of the criminal record check for extended stay Visa approval purposes and if so, if I ummm, LIE on the application and they find out, is it possible I could be banned from entry altogether? I mean do they actually run a background check on everybody??

You have been stitched up on the visa cost and its technically up to bank whether they let you open an account or not, no one can promise this but to answer the question I don't believe they even ask a question of previous convictions, if they don't ask you don't have to tell

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 2

You have been stitched up on the visa cost and its technically up to bank whether they let you open an account or not, no one can promise this but to answer the question I don't believe they even ask a question of previous convictions, if they don't ask you don't have to tell

23,000 baht. Not only stitched but dodgy..whistling.gif

• Like 2

23,000 baht. Not only stitched but dodgy..whistling.gif

What would the visa cost if you did it yourself just out of interest ? Edited by Soutpeel

One year multiple entry - also allows me to open a Thai bank account. Advertised ont this site. Actaul price is $499 plus $200 so actaully $699. I would like an answer to the question regardless...

Nice attitude............

• Like 1

One year multiple entry - also allows me to open a Thai bank account. Advertised ont this site. Actaul price is $499 plus $200 so actaully $699. I would like an answer to the question regardless...I have not purchased it yet I guess I have muddied the water as everyone is focusing on the expensive fee when really all I needed to know is whether they do a criminal background check for a one year Visa..that should have been the extent of the question..thanks for the feedback all the ame guys.

Then to answer your question.....no they do not do a background check.

I would also avoid Siam Legal and do it your self. It isnt that difficult.

And it is a lot less money wise.

Bank accounts.....is really up to the bank itself.

I would say most banks will...but im no expert.

• Like 1

Purpose of Visit
This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.
Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility
  • Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
  • Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
  • Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence
  • Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
  • Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535
Validity of a visa
multiple entries : Validity of a visa is 1 year
Required Documents: (Required 3 sets: 1 original and 2 copies)
  1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
  2. Visa application form completely filled out (download)
  3. Addition Application form (download)
  4. A medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more than three months (download)
  5. Three photo's passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
  6. A copy of bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht
    In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required
  7. A letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months)
    In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence
It depends on what the US counts as a criminal offence. In the UK a DUI is not registered as a criminal offence, GBH would be a criminal offence.

If applying in the USA, you have to go to your police dept, where you live, get fingerprinted. The police, in about 2 weeks, give you a paper, with your fingerprints and photo, and state if you've been arrested in their jurisdiction.

The visa costs $200. The forms are all downloadable. Any high school drop out should be able to figure it out and collate the required forms into 3 sets, in order of what they request.

• Like 1

If applying in the USA, you have to go to your police dept, where you live, get fingerprinted. The police, in about 2 weeks, give you a paper, with your fingerprints and photo, and state if you've been arrested in their jurisdiction.

The visa costs $200. The forms are all downloadable. Any high school drop out should be able to figure it out and collate the required forms into 3 sets, in order of what they request.

I suppose each local law enforcement entity is different.

In the state of WA I go on line, request a state wide report concerning both felonies and misdemeanors for myself, and a few days - less than a week - later it arrives in the mail, with a notarized signature. It costs me $20. No fingerprints nor photos required or performed.

I obtain a visa for retirement each year via mail to the Thai Consulate - LA and find the process straight forward and less than cumbersome.

Edited by SpokaneAl

In the state of WA I go on line, request a state wide report concerning both felonies and misdemeanors for myself, and a few days - less than a week - later it arrives in the mail, with a notarized signature. It costs me $20. No fingerprints nor photos required or performed.

I obtain a visa for retirement each year via mail to the Thai Consulate - LA and find the process straight forward and less than cumbersome.

"I obtain a visa for retirement each year via mail to the Thai Consulate - LA and find the process straight forward and less than cumbersome. "

Up to you, as we say, but if you get a "retirement visa" (not its real name ... non-imm O-A is the one most people mislabel a retirement visa), why not play it out for a couple of years and/or get an extension of stay that you can keep alive even if you don't continuously stay in Thailand by just getting a re-entry permit?

During the first year of an O-A you can enter and leave as you please with nothing extra required and if you do a border run before it expires you'll get an additional year's permission to stay which you can keep alive with a re-entry permit.

• Like 2

For all visa,s ? Think not, everyone is bleating on about the O-A visa, op has only started a multiple entry visa, nothing about retirement, and even if his intent is retirement, all he has to do to by pass all the requirements in the US is to arrive in Thailand on a tourist visa and covert it to an extension of stay for retirement by having 800k in the bank

• Like 1

Soutpeel, on 20 Nov 2014 - 19:28, said:
dapperdan, on 20 Nov 2014 - 17:55, said:

For all visa,s ? Think not, everyone is bleating on about the O-A visa, op has only started a multiple entry visa, nothing about retirement, and even if his intent is retirement, all he has to do to by pass all the requirements in the US is to arrive in Thailand on a tourist visa and covert it to an extension of stay for retirement by having 800k in the bank

You first have to convert the Visitor Visa to a Non Imm O.

You cannot get an extension based on a Visitor Visa.

• Like 1

"I obtain a visa for retirement each year via mail to the Thai Consulate - LA and find the process straight forward and less than cumbersome. "

Up to you, as we say, but if you get a "retirement visa" (not its real name ... non-imm O-A is the one most people mislabel a retirement visa), why not play it out for a couple of years and/or get an extension of stay that you can keep alive even if you don't continuously stay in Thailand by just getting a re-entry permit?

During the first year of an O-A you can enter and leave as you please with nothing extra required and if you do a border run before it expires you'll get an additional year's permission to stay which you can keep alive with a re-entry permit.

The timing and duration of our visits each year makes the non-imm O-A visa for the purpose of retirement the easiest solution for our needs, IMO of course. Edited by SpokaneAl

The OP will have to request the criminal background check himself and then he can see what shows up on the document that is returned to him by his local police dept. If he doesn't like what he sees, then he can spend a couple hours reading a few threads on this forum and learn of the other ways to obtain a long-term permission to stay in Thailand that don't involve applying for an O-A visa in advance of coming here.

For example, someone can simply show up at the airport with a U.S. passport, be stamped in for 30 days and eventually end up with a O visa and a 12-month permission to stay due to retirement.

Actually, you don't need a one-year multi-entry visa to open a bank account. Hubby and I showed up at very foreigner friendly branch of Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai with $10,000 U.S. in currency and the happy news that we planned to retire in Chiang Mai and needed a bank account for my retirement visa and they were more than happy to open an account.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

OP

If you are age 50 or over, a U.S. Citizen, you are currently in the U.S. and want to be able to basically stay in Thailand for one year... go to a Thai Consulate or the Embassy in Washington, D.C. or better yet to one of the Royal Thai Consul General Offices in Texas, Portland Oregon, or Honolulu Hawaii and there are others, Fill out one form, no background check, no medical check, pay $200.00 and show you have the financial resources to stay in Thailand for one year... You can apply for a Non Immigrant Multi Entry Category 'O' Visa... You do have to make 90 day Border Runs to activate the next permission to stay.

Easy. PM me I will answer any questions.

• Like 1

In early 2012, I arrived and was granted a 30 day Visa Waiver, no questions asked.

Then, in Thailand, got a 90 day Non imm O, for which I submitted proof of offshore income more than 65,000Bht/month.

My Consulate charged almost 3,000 Baht for the sealed letter which imm kept. I supplied bank printouts and highlighted the pension income.

I then opened a bank account in Thailand with ATM card, no problem. I then opened another bank account not linked to the ATM card, allowing me to keep only running amounts in the ATM account.

after about 60 days, I got another proof of income and applied for a years extension on the grounds of retirement, cost 1900Baht. I also got a single re-entry permit, cost 1000Baht.

No crim or health checks required.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I needed to return earlier than planned and leave again.

However, before I left I got another re-entry permit, 1000Baht.

Then just show the proof of funds letter from the bank showing the 800,000Baht for the required time, cost 100 Baht and apply for a new extension every year, whilst in Thailand.

Therefore, make sure the timing of your visits will coincide with the extension dates.

good luck

• Like 1

Soutpeel, on 20 Nov 2014 - 19:28, said:

dapperdan, on 20 Nov 2014 - 17:55, said:

You first have to convert the Visitor Visa to a Non Imm O.

You cannot get an extension based on a Visitor Visa.

The point being the OP doesn't need to go through all the O -A visa process in the US, ie medical and record check etc to stay long term in Thailand if his intent is retirement he can do it all in Thailand/ locally in SEA

• Like 1

I've gotten three 1 year retirement visas from the Thai embassy in Wash., D.C. in the last 4 years. A police dept. background check is required, but it doesn't have to be from the place you live, and the police depts. tell you the record only covers their jurisdiction. So just have your background check down in a place where you don't have a criminal record. I got mine done in other jurisdictions, because it was more convenient at the time, and I never had any questions or problems with my visa application.

One year multiple entry - also allows me to open a Thai bank account. Advertised ont this site. Actaul price is $499 plus $200 so actaully $699. I would like an answer to the question regardless...I have not purchased it yet I guess I have muddied the water as everyone is focusing on the expensive fee when really all I needed to know is whether they do a criminal background check for a one year Visa..that should have been the extent of the question..thanks for the feedback all the ame guys.

Don't worry about it. I have a few misdemeanors & they never asked.

I suppose one could have a felony record & it wouldn't matter, as they never asked.

Even if they did ask your run-ins with the law happened almost 15 years ago.