Expat pensions as it pertains to living in Thailand.

I was on another thread ( ran out of allowable quotes but it would have been off topic anyway)and the pension topic came up and I was dismayed to read that some expats would have been living hand to mouth in their home countries but are surviving here in Thailand due the lower costs for living depending on how you want that is.

I heard from some calling pensions that enable expats here as Gold Plated pensions and some that wouldn't be able to feed themselves or pay rent in their home countries.

Love to hear from those that are living on pensions here and how they are doing> I also would like to hear how some countries only allow absences of 6 months and/or benefits get stopped and how are expats dealing with that?

Last point,

Don't tell your government where you are or what you are doing, none of their business.

If they do get to the suspicious questioning "We know you are outside of the UK", then you tell them you are busy touring Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, USA, Philippines, they have no way of tracking you within the EU, or where you travel from within the EU.

unless of course they dont believe you and order you to show passport then suddenly all these thai imm stamps show up

Silly....everything is computerised now, if your on a pension here in AU they want to know your every move including if u leave the country and there is a cut of point if you want to go touring for a while, luckly they havent yet done that if you intend to reside outside the country.....but in time......slowly but surly there bashing away at all welfare even what was once a right.

If you can afford a 50. 60 or 70% cut in income own ur own home you can afford to live here on a pension, i dout the only reason a pensioner would move to Thailand is "just" becasue its cheap/cheaper, lifestyle health and the avalibility of younger and attractive women all play a part.

Last point,

Don't tell your government where you are or what you are doing, none of their business.

If they do get to the suspicious questioning "We know you are outside of the UK", then you tell them you are busy touring Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, USA, Philippines, they have no way of tracking you within the EU, or where you travel from within the EU.

unless of course they dont believe you and order you to show passport then suddenly all these thai imm stamps show up

I'm very careless with my passport, It's always getting lost or stolen.

I mean, come on, how daft are you, keeping records for them to look at.

Silly....everything is computerised now, if your on a pension here in AU they want to know your every move including if u leave the country and there is a cut of point if you want to go touring for a while, luckly they havent yet done that if you intend to reside outside the country.....but in time......slowly but surly there bashing away at all welfare even what was once a right.

Yes, but the OP is from the UK, who has the right to live and work in many countries without a passport.

No shared computers across Europe, not even anyone tracking which country you are in, just waved across borders.

Also pension is something you earn in the UK, not a means tested benefit like in Australia.

Don't know but I would have thought the new PP with chips might know stuff and keep records for if needed.........whistling.gif

For sure if someone is "claiming" to be in the UK and is sussed, they will want their money back........sad.png

If you get on the ferry to France, nobody scans or records anything.

How do you think they could track you?

If you leave via airport and they scan your chip on the way out, how do they know where you are going, or transiting?

Are you suggesting every country in the world can scan your chip, then report the info back to the UK?

Anyway, I'm in Europe.

Sometimes in USA (no pension freeze)

Sometimes in Philippines (no pension freeze)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Don't know but I would have thought the new PP with chips might know stuff and keep records for if needed.........whistling.gif

For sure if someone is "claiming" to be in the UK and is sussed, they will want their money back........sad.png

If you leave via airport and they scan your chip on the way out, how do they know where you are going, or transiting?

Are you suggesting every country in the world can scan your chip, then report the info back to the UK?

I am suggesting,.. the UK immigration guy taps in where your flight came from. I say this cos when the chip was introduced in my PP (2008) the guy at HR said to me,

"Ah, your PP is chipped,

takes a bit longer for the system to read it"...........whistling.gif

I am suggesting,.. the UK immigration guy taps in where your flight came from. I say this cos when the chip was introduced in my PP (2008) the guy at HR said to me,

"Ah, your PP is chipped,

takes a bit longer for the system to read it"...........whistling.gif

You always start and end every trip in the UK?

When I leave the UK, one way ticket, I usually hop between 5 or 6 countries before returning.

Often via Paris.

Last point,

I'm very careless with my passport, It's always getting lost or stolen.

I mean, come on, how daft are you, keeping records for them to look at.

please how do you travel with lost stolen passport ? your obviously stupid enough to cheat the benefits pension systems or certainly condone others to do so grow up dreamer

• Like 1

Last point,

bad back??? invalidity?????

It is very much their business if you are claiming money illegaly.

Last point,

If you have a (legitimate) disability pension/benefits, why should you be forced to stay in the UK.

Makes no difference to anyone where you are.

If you have a (legitimate) government pension, why should they freeze it if you want to live in one or two countries the government doesn't like.

You paid for it, up to you where you spend it.

• Like 1

Last point,

If you have a (legitimate) disability pension/benefits, why should you be forced to stay in the UK.

If you have a (legitimate) government pension, why should they freeze it if you want to live in one or two countries the government doesn't like.

Unfortunately it don't work like that......If you or anyone has told porkies on a claim form they will want the cash back..........

Guess it all depends on how much your pension is and your spending habits. If the pension is low, it can be hard to live anywhere.

I was dismayed to read that some expats would have been living hand to mouth in their home countries but are surviving here in Thailand ...
Love to hear from those that are living on pensions here and how they are doing

Not sure why it would dismay you to learn that people are surviving in Thailand or why you would be surprised that retired people receive pensions.

I get a monthly pension from my former employer, including reimbursement for all medical, dental, prescription, etc expenses I incur in Thailand, and also Social Security payments from the US government and further income from personal investments. Isn't the purpose of pensions to augment your income during retirement? I'm hardly living from hand to mouth. Actually quite comfortable all things considered.

And, my employer, the people at Social Security and my broker all know I'm staying in Thailand. They even send me backup proof of monthly income that I attach to my annual US Embassy affidavit when doing my retirement extension of stay renewal, as proof of the amount I claimed on the affidavit.

Since this all seems to be a surprise to you, what provisions are made for people in your country? Everyone have to keep working until they drop dead?

Edited by Suradit69

Since this all seems to be a surprise to you, what provisions are made for people in your country? Everyone have to keep working until they drop dead?

I do believe the British government would like everyone (apart from themselves) to drop dead at age 55.

After that they are just being a selfish drain on resources.

• Like 1

Guess it all depends on how much your pension is and your spending habits. If the pension is low, it can be hard to live anywhere.

I was dismayed to read that some expats would have been living hand to mouth in their home countries but are surviving here in Thailand ...
Love to hear from those that are living on pensions here and how they are doing

Not sure why it would dismay you to learn that people are surviving in Thailand or why you would be surprised that retired people receive pensions.

I get a monthly pension from my former employer, including reimbursement for all medical, dental, prescription, etc expenses I incur in Thailand, and also Social Security payments from the US government and further income from personal investments. Isn't the purpose of pensions to augment your income during retirement? I'm hardly living from hand to mouth. Actually quite comfortable all things considered.

And, my employer, the people at Social Security and my broker all know I'm staying in Thailand. They even send me backup proof of monthly income that I attach to my annual US Embassy affidavit when doing my retirement extension of stay renewal, as proof of the amount I claimed on the affidavit.

I am in a very similar situation as Suradit69 ( private retirement pension and Social Security) Everyone knows I I live here. I applied for my social security while living here, I list a mailing address in the U S but my physical address is here. Social Security even gives you the option when applying of having your monthly benifits deposited directly into a foreigh bank account. I pay taxes on all income as if I am living in the U S, so I guess they figure as long as they get their taxes they don't care where you live.

Yes, but the OP is from the UK, who has the right to live and work in many countries without a passport.

No shared computers across Europe, not even anyone tracking which country you are in, just waved across borders.

Also pension is something you earn in the UK, not a means tested benefit like in Australia.

I think you'll find that there is noone to even wave at you on intra-EU borders these days - that at least holds true in Northern Europe. Just a sign and no vestiges of booths/custom houses etc on many recently modernised motorways. It's like crossing form Lancashire into Yorkshire.

• Like 1

Last point,

For USA citizens with money in the bank in TL it will get harder to hide?

US govt forms now required (in some banks?)

Suggestions?

BTW how safe is that money? (not and easy q)

Edited by infinity11
  • Like 1

My UK state pension has been capped for the last 7 years because I was honest enough to inform UK Gov of my intention to live near my son. I've regretted this honesty every month. If I knew how, I'd seek to undo my decision. This pension-capping is clearly discriminatory and makes me seethe when I behold the many benefits open immigrants to the UK.

I've written emails to various MPs/Cabinet members asking for explanation. I get history lessons but no moral justification. They will only be satisfied when they starve us back to plunder the Welfare system/NHS.

I also live in Thailand, approaching state UK pension age and am wondering if there is a way to avoid the 'capping'.

For example saying I live at my children's address although this would be fraudulent I presume.

Has anyone managed to avoid the 'capping'? If so I'd appreciate a PM.

I've asked for a pension statement and if I can pay for any 'missing' years but they reply saying they will answer within 10 days but never do.

• Like 1

Last point,

sir

to answer question one

Anybody claiming benefits are only allowed a max of 1 month per tax year away from the uk

question 2

Anybody that decided to retire to Thailand, whether governemnet, private or a combination of both, know the law,and have enough money to live here.

Adisability may not be a disability for ever unless one is on the gravy train and earning money selling drugs, ciggies etc etc.You cannot bullshit a bullshitter sir.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

sir

to answer question one

Anybody claiming benefits are only allowed a max of 1 month per tax year away from the uk

question 2

Anybody that decided to retire to Thailand, whether governemnet, private or a combination of both, know the law,and have enough money to live here.

Adisability may not be a disability for ever unless one is on the gravy train and earning money selling drugs, ciggies etc etc.You cannot bullshit a bullshitter sir.Also Sir, one doesnt have to stay in the uk, one can go anywhere in the eu

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

sir

to answer question one

Anybody claiming benefits are only allowed a max of 1 month per tax year away from the uk,in a non eu country, fact

question 2

Adisability may not be a disability for ever unless one is on the gravy train and earning money selling drugs, ciggies etc etc.You cannot bullshit a bullshitter sir.Also Sir, one doesnt have to stay in the uk, one can go anywhere in the eu

Bernard, I think you are missing the point here, sir. Some people come here because they have a relative living here. (In my case my only son.) As I grow frailer with old age, I would like his strength near me. There would be no purpose going to Europe.

As for knowing the law, this particular one is so incredible that few people would believe in its existence. I came here in all innocence, blithely believing that after a working life, paying Nat Ins & taxes, a fair-minded UK Government would not discriminate in this manner.

Without doing the research, I would imagine there are very few countries that reward pensioners for their service in this manner whilst still taxing them and denying them medical care.

I love a good discussion but sometimes you have to accept that you cannot defend the indefensible.

I agree with you, but before i retired here, i checked everything and knew that when i claim my government pension, i would not get any increases.We cannot change this law so i dont worry about it.As far as medical care, i do have private medical here,obviously i have to pAY that,and i wouldnt get uk nhs if i went back, i would have to be living in uk for 6 months.

I am a very realistic person and one should know everything about what happens in one,s future years, thinking driving.