Retirement after multi B Visa

Hello,

I am here on a 1 year multi B visa.

Once my B visa stay is over I would like to retire.

Easiest way seems to come in on a Visa Exempt arrival and convert it to a Non O... etc....

Will I have problems coming back in and receiving the 30 day Visa Exempt with the old B Visa in my passport? I would probably spend only one night out of the country and expect questioning.

I know I can apply for a Non O outside of the country based on planning to retire.. I have the 800K in bank.

However, My wife and I have a joint account as well as separate personal accounts. The money has come in from overseas to the joint account and then transferred to my personal account - so I'm not sure I could convincingly show to an embassy or consulate that the money is from overseas.

Thanks much!

Really!

This would be great news - but I swear I have read multiple times, on this site, that I could not do that.

Maybe I am confused and have only read that a B visa could not be converted to a Non O - which I assumed was a step needed to obtain the extension of stay.

Thank You!

All that is required to get an extension is a non immigrant visa entry. The rules do not specify a class of non immigrant visa.

There has been a recent report of an immigration office not allowing a person to change from an extension for working (aka B ) to on for retirement. But that is even a rarity. There have been many that have done it.

All that is required to get an extension is a non immigrant visa entry. The rules do not specify a class of non immigrant visa.

There has been a recent report of an immigration office not allowing a person to change from an extension for working (aka B ) to on for retirement. But that is even a rarity. There have been many that have done it.

One more question if I may - or 2, or 3 smile.png

I am currently here on Non Imm B visa. The "enter by date" is 20 December so I was planning to enter once more before then.

To receive an extension based on retirement, am I okay doing this after the "enter by date" as long as I am in the country and within the 90 days of last entry?

Also, I would like to get an extension for my wife who is under 50 based on being a dependent. If granted, will she have a full one year extension or will she have to leave the country every 90 days?

Lastly, if anyone knows... As I said before, we have a joint account with more than 2 mil baht. I recently transferred the required 800K baht into my personal account to season it for the next 2 months before applying for the extension. I am reading that SOME offices will allow a joint account if the balance is higher than 160,000 baht. Does anyone know if Chiang Mai office is one of these? If so, I could apply for the extension right now as that money has been seasoned for ages.

Many many thanks again!

Edited by kilt

Yes, it is OK to apply for the extension after the visa itself has expired. The permission to stay is important, you must apply for the extension before that finishes.

Your wife will have a full 1 year extension and doesn't need to leave the country. But if you lose your extension, she loses hers as well as her permission to stay is coupled to yours. So don't leave Thailand without a re-entry permit.

My experience on this topic dates from 2010, at the Bangkok Immigration Office. I had worked here in Thailand for many years, and had the required B 800,000 in a Thai bank account. All of it had come from money I had earned and saved in Thailand. I was required to provide documentation showing where the money had come from. I provided them with copies of my income tax returns, going back enough years that they would believe that I could have saved B 800,000 from my salary. Give some thought as to what documentation you will provide, and alert anyone necessary that you may be requesting same, even if you do not present it to Immigration in the first instance.

Edited by allane