When to leave Thailand for the first time with the aim of getting a non-O "retirement" visa?

I'm 50, I have the intention to park 800 K THB in a yet to open bank account in Thailand, I've got a single entry Thai tourist visa in my passport, I have booked a one-way flight to BKK (arriving on 1st December 2014) and I would like to live in Thailand on a non-immigrant O / "retirement" visa for the coming years.

Now I asked the airline if they would let me on board with a one-way ticket without any ticket for leaving Thailand and I was told that they probably wouldn't... :-( Therefore I need to book a flight to a country nearby, for example to Malaysia (Penang or KL). My big question now is: When exactly should I leave Thailand again and book a flight for this purpose? My tourist visa should give me the right to stay until 29th January 2015 and I can probably get a 30 day extension until 28th February 2015.

One of the first things to do after having arrived in Thailand is to open a bank account and deposit the 800 K THB there. I know that it might be tricky to do this on a tourist visa but it seems that with the patience to try it until a bank (employee) agrees it will probably be possible. Let's assume that by mid-December this will be fine. As far as I know, for a non-immigrant O / "retirement" visa I need to have the 800 K THB in the account for at least 60 days, therefore I should be ready to apply for this visa by mid-February.

Does it make sense to book a flight to let's say Penang for mid to end of February and apply for the "retirement" visa there?

Or is it better to try to convert my tourist visa to a non-immigrant O "retirement" visa at an immigration office in Thailand around mid-February, hopefully get it and leave Thailand 3 months later (= mid-May) to get another such non-O visa and therefore book a flight for mid-May now (still with the aim to have a flight ticket to leave Thailand before I initially travel there on 1st December)?

It's possible that I misunderstood something, therefore please feel free to correct my thoughts...

Thanks a lot for all your kind advice!

Now I asked the airline if they would let me on board with a one-way ticket without any ticket for leaving Thailand and I was told that they probably wouldn't..

That is not the case because you have a visa. Once in Thailand you transfer the money and convert the visa at Bangkok immigration as described in any of the many other threads opened daily.

• Like 1

Now I asked the airline if they would let me on board with a one-way ticket without any ticket for leaving Thailand and I was told that they probably wouldn't..

That is not the case because you have a visa. Once in Thailand you transfer the money and convert the visa at Bangkok immigration as described in any of the many other threads opened daily.

This is correct. Even if you needed an onward ticket that doesn't mean that you'd use it. Those are often called throw away tickets, purchased only to satisfy the airline and not any country.

• Like 2

If you have a visa you do not need a return or onward ticket.

You seem to know what it will take get the bank account opened.

As soon as you have the 800k baht in the bank you can got to any nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa. You will just need to show your passport and your bankbook plus copies.

Dependent upon where you will be living you can can also apply for change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa ( O class) entry. You can do this at any time during your 60 day entry up to the last 15 days of it. You will need a bank letter confirming the 800k in the bank plus copies of your bank book.

Then during the last 30 days of either 90 day entry you can apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement. The money must be in the bank for 60 days when you apply.

• Like 1

I know it's a bit late now but you could have got an single entry O visa that would have given you 90 days from your arrival.

Enough time to sort out all your problems.

You might have time to change your Visa that's if you are near a consulate.

Re bank The Kasikorn still opens accounts without to many problems.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

As for bank account. I did have little trouble. Went to various banks with Thai chick to explain. The banks kept asking for work permit. I was explaining that I'm retired. Anyway some people directed me to bank just down from soi 3. (Bank of blue variety) Head office. After I signed a statement that I was aware I would not receive any interest, bankbook was handed over. Weird....I'm sure other members can suggest better bank option.

If you have a visa you do not need a return or onward ticket.

You seem to know what it will take get the bank account opened.

As soon as you have the 800k baht in the bank you can got to any nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa. You will just need to show your passport and your bankbook plus copies.

Dependent upon where you will be living you can can also apply for change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa ( O class) entry. You can do this at any time during your 60 day entry up to the last 15 days of it. You will need a bank letter confirming the 800k in the bank plus copies of your bank book.

Then during the last 30 days of either 90 day entry you can apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement. The money must be in the bank for 60 days when you apply.

Ubonjoe, For your and others information.

Phuket does not allow anymore the upgrade from a VOA or TR60 to a Non-O for the purpose of applying a year retirement extension.

They stopped doing this from Monday 17 November.

I don't know if other immigration offices are still doing this but Phuket not anymore until further notice.

Therefore people will need to get a Non-O from outside Thailand before they can apply for the yearly extension.

Ubonjoe, For your and others information.

Phuket does not allow anymore the upgrade from a VOA or TR60 to a Non-O for the purpose of applying a year retirement extension.

They stopped doing this from Monday 17 November.

I don't know if other immigration offices are still doing this but Phuket not anymore until further notice.

Therefore people will need to get a Non-O from outside Thailand before they can apply for the yearly extension.

We had a report of Phuket not doing them almost a month ago.

It is possible to do the conversion but only at certain regional offices,

They have said it is possible to do them in Hat Yai, Bangkok and Chiang Mai. But it means 2 trips to get them because they have you come back in 15 days to get the stamps after applying.

OP , where you from. You have time to get a non imm O

I'm from Switzerland and have tried this in Bern, but only got a tourist visa. When I complained they gave me the regulations for a non-o O-A visa which was never my idea, so I kept the tourist visa. They told me that a non-o O visa was only given to someone who is married to a Thai. Different place, different practice I guess...

They have said it is possible to do them in Hat Yai, Bangkok and Chiang Mai. But it means 2 trips to get them because they have you come back in 15 days to get the stamps after applying.

Thanks a lot, I might try this. How about Samui immigration? And does the 90 day clock start from zero when the visa is converted to non-o, or is it 90 days from the arrival date?

Thanks a lot, I might try this. How about Samui immigration? And does the 90 day clock start from zero when the visa is converted to non-o, or is it 90 days from the arrival date?

Only the offices that ubonjoe mentioned can do the conversion. 90 days start from the day the visa is issued, that normally coincides with the end of allowed stay.

• Like 1

As I wrote in my previous post you would have to make 2 trips to a immigration office that will do the change to a non immigrant visa.

If you already have financial proof to do a change it would best to make a trip to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa. From Samui Penang would be a good choice.

• Like 1