Israel: 'Hamas plot to kill FM Lieberman foiled'

Lite Beer

Israel: 'Hamas plot to kill FM Lieberman foiled'

Four Palestinians have been arrested by Israeli security forces over an alleged plot to kill Israel's foreign minister with a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG).

Israel's Shin Bet security agency said the group planned to assassinate Avigdor Lieberman during the Israel-Gaza conflict of July and August.

It said the men belonged to Hamas, the group which runs Gaza. Hamas said it had "no information about this issue".

The summer war lasted 50 days and ended in a truce between the two sides.

The conflict cost the lives of more than 2,100 Palestinians - mainly civilians, according to the UN - and 67 soldiers and six civilians on the Israeli side.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30141658

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-21

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamas is denying the charge but saying that Israeli political leaders are legitimate targets. I suppose if two sides are officially at war, that may be so. Certainly Israeli leaders are a more legitimate target than civilians waiting for a train or rabbis praying in a temple. So does that mean Abbas is a legitimate target of Israel? Imagine how the Israel demonization world would react if Israel whacked Abbas. No, I do not believe Israel killed Arafat though I'm not sure why they didn't.

Most Arabs think other Palestinians killed Arafat, which is very common in their culture when it comes to those in power. IMO, Israel did not bother, because there really is not a moderate that has any chance of leading the Palestinians. The devil you know and all that.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Of course I am not suggesting that Israel whack Abbas. Of course Hamas should not whack Netanyahu either but I think they would if they could.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

Would anyone be surprised if it was revealed that is was just more made up propaganda to try and influence the upcoming European votes on Palestinian statehood? I wouldn't. Because quite frankly I don't believe a word that is uttered by Shin Bet, and I can't imagine why anyone else would. Everything they say and do is self serving and deceitful.

yes, it must be a 100% propaganda perpetrated by the shin bait? (do you even know what dose shin bet means)

just like the holocaust and other atrocities cometted by the Hamas and the PLO.. yes siree bob..

100% propaganda...

I agree 100%. 2,100 lives is an extremely heavy body count.

100% Agree! Hamas using civilians as body sheilds, as per their published doctrine of war manual, is wholly unacceptable. Its a shame that the local arabs see each other as fodder in an ostensible religious war that really only has one generation after another of "representatives" of the Palestinian people getting very rich while the regular folks get very dead.

• Like 2

Now Israeli politicians and their families can live in fear of being killed in the street just like Palestinian politicians do.

only terrorists are ever targeted. its utter nonsense that politicians per se are targeted. but thats the rub, isnt it? in the same manner hamas hides behind civilians its "politicians" hide behind the pretense of "representative." clearly theyve learned to manipulate the west. clearly israel isnt buying it.

edit: having said this its also true from hamas' perspective that israeli politicians are terrorist, thus further smoke on the whole mess.

Edited by arjunadawn

Some may find this of interest - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Rehavam_Ze%27evi .

This is not a denial that Israel carries attacks and attempts on lives of Palestinian leaders (arjunadawn makes a good point about both sides seeing each others leadership as terrorists), just a bit of history. Not quite seeing how the attack, if successful, would have given Israel pause, though. More likely, the opposite.

The war between the Jews and Muslims have been going on for as long as men have been writing historical documents...

It will still be unresolved when you and I have been long gone from the earth...

Sad that neither side will negotiate a lasting truce...

Edited by ggt

The war between the Jews and Muslims have been going on for as long as men have been writing historical documents...

It will still be unresolved when you and I have been long gone from the earth...

It's not that simple exactly. Look at the history of Spain.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

More lives that Hamas are responsible for.

Nope, by law the occupation government is responsible for civilian deaths during conflict in occupied territory. (all of the State of Palestine is considered occupied)

• Like 2

History was written long before Islam appeared on the world stage. Not aware of any such ongoing war between Jews and Muslims. If you meant Israel, then the conflict is not really that old, in historical terms. What major wars occurred between the two religions?

Not all the Muslims are at war with Jews, and vice versa. Not even all the Muslim are at war with Israel.

• Like 1

Nope, by law the occupation government is responsible for civilian deaths during conflict in occupied territory. (all of the State of Palestine is considered occupied)

This exchange exemplifies much that is wrong in this conflict.

Sides unwilling to budge an inch, lest they would concede a point. This all-or-nothing approach takes precedence above all other consideration. For example, the notion that more than one party bears responsibility, or that one party ignores its responsibility, while the other abuses it. That one side does not live up to its obligations, does not make the other side right by default. There are more interesting, and constructive ways to define issues in this reality than mere dichotomy.

• Like 1

History was written long before Islam appeared on the world stage.

Not aware of any such ongoing war between Jews and Muslims. If you meant Israel, then the conflict is not really that

old, in historical terms. What major wars occurred between the two religions?

Not all the Muslims are at war with Jews, and vice versa. Not even all the Muslim are at war with Israel.

Islamic scripture is decidedly setup up to prepare, condone, and urge venom and war upon the Jews. This is pretty obvious. A significant portion of the muslim world not acting on this does not change the fact that the core foundational scriptures encourage jew disdain, and for a reason- the reason shows how utterly childish, manipulative, and vidictive some people were in that part of the world 1400 years ago.

Few know the islamic prophet actually tried to solicit a large jewish tribe in Medina to abandon their faith and embrace the latest prophet of their judaic line of prophets, Mohhamed. Toward this end the prophet had the qibla direction of prayer set to pray toward jerusalem. This transparent and actually fairly offensive act did not have the fraternal response the prophet had hoped; they rejected him in Medina and rejected accepting the nascent islamic faith. The prophet responded to this by immediately changing the qibla back to the black rock of mecca and announced that the early solicitation of the jews by offering them the qibla was Al Lah testing the Jews, and they failed (thus according to a cursory review of judaism, this would imply that twice the jews rejected a prophet of god).

Mohhamed went on to sack Mecca, and of course amongst nearly all jews that could be found, he decidedly wiped the earlier mentioned tribe off the face of the earth, killing many of them himself- a great many. Should the day have ever come to pass where the prophet made peace with later jews, etc., then we would be experiencing a very different islam today. As it is the life of the prophet is that thing which is most highly sought to emulate. Also, the acts of the prophet and contradictions in the koran follow the rules of abbrogation where later acts or contradictory statements, such as warfare acts where earlier when islam was persecuted there were brotherhood commentary, become the supreme rule. Thus the later part of the prophets life was spent destroying and killing and numerous beheadings and slaughter- and then he passed. Thus forever the behavior of this man was enshrined as the manner by which life ought to be led, and the many calls to peaceful this or that were abbrogated by sword like suras, and the disdain and divine stain upon the jews became eternal in islamic exegesis.

These early texts are no less a roadmap to supremacy and war.

• Like 1

This exchange exemplifies much that is wrong in this conflict.

Sides unwilling to budge an inch, lest they would concede a point. This all-or-nothing approach takes precedence above

all other consideration. For example, the notion that more than one party bears responsibility, or that one party ignores its

responsibility, while the other abuses it. That one side does not live up to its obligations, does not make the other side

right by default. There are more interesting, and constructive ways to define issues in this reality than mere dichotomy.

When the claim falls on anyone being responsible for the deaths of civilians in Gaza by Israeli weapons . It falls on Israel.

There is no state of Palestine. There never was a state of Palestine. While ostensibly some provocatuers such as Sweden recognize a state of Palestine now, it is absent any definable enforceable borders. Therefore, such an occupation can clearly not exist. Moreoever, the only occupation, IMO, is the illegal occupation of the West Bank by Palestinian arabs. I am aware this is at odds with general observations, but it is my opinion. However, there is no such thing as Palestine and never was in the history of the world a country called Palestine.

• Like 1