Friends bid to repatriate body of killed Briton Sam Austin

Lite Beer

Posted in the hope of enlightening the 'embassy ain't doing nuffink' brigade re their own responsibilities:

At least they tell it as it is, good for them. Now if you get jailed for trying to smuggle a couple of kilos of drugs out of the country they can't do enough for you.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the British Embassy for once doing the decent thing??

Get the poor guys body home and worry about the monetary aspects later!!

Sorry but as a tax payer why should we pay the thousands required to repatriate him?

He could not be bothered to get insurance, going to get a job in Thailand?

Lot cheaper to have him cremated in Thailand and have his ashes sent back to the UK.

If he paid NI he (his family) may be able to get the £2,000 bereavement payout.

There is no suggestion in the report that he is married.

Only a spouse, or civil partner, can claim the £2,000 Bereavement Payment.

Posted in the hope of enlightening the 'embassy ain't doing nuffink' brigade re their own responsibilities:

At least they tell it as it is, good for them. Now if you get jailed for trying to smuggle a couple of kilos of drugs out of the country they can't do enough for you.

About the only thing they actually do in those cases is point you in the right direction to get a lawyer. They may make sure you are treated in accordance to international law (i.e. not tortured), and may pass messages back ... but that is usually the extent of it. If you are to be executed, they might apply pressure to have it commuted. My sister is an Ambassador ("Queen's" representative), and I don't think she spends much time on things like that. There are missions that are trade focused, missions that are development focused (NGOs etc), missions that are political. They are there to represent the government -- not you. They process visas for people to visit and provide limited emergency services such as emergency travel documents to return home, passport replacement (which is sent back home and then sent back - so they don't really process anything). They might even provide limited emergency funds which have to be guaranteed by another citizen if you fail to pay it back.

That there's some corner of a foreign field. That is for ever England.

Lots of Brits buried in Thailand and Myanmar.

I am sorry for the family and hope they find out what happened and can get some closure.

It must be very hard for them and I hope they will be able to cope with their loss.

It appears he died at least a few days ago and yet,

"Thai authorities are yet to tell his distraught mother how her son died"

Something very fishy going on here, you would imagine.

e.g. suppression of news of yet another tourist murder at the start of high season.

I agree Briggsy, this has or almost did slip under the radar.

The Thai authorities, really don't want another who ha about another mysterious death. I wonder if this will be going on to CSI LA, for follow up.

Took a quick look online in the Thai language press for more details. Nothing turned up.

e.g. suppression of news of yet another tourist murder at the start of high season.

The Thai authorities, really don't want another who ha about another mysterious death. I wonder if this will be going on to CSI LA, for follow up.

Took a quick look online in the Thai language press for more details. Nothing turned up.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as my next man, but the reason for no details revealed could actually be respect for the young mans family. If he committed suicide or died from a drug-OD, maybe they don't want it all over social media!!

I assume that storage of body and transportation, as well as the BIB investigation will be quite costly. It does seem somewhat steep

BIB investigation cheesy.gifcheesy.gif , yeah right ! It will be a "tragic accident" or "suspected suicide" case closed, it always ends the same.

SAME song different lyrics as always with that lot. About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Honda goldwings had ashtrays... just saying.

:rolleyes:

I'm British and I don't expect my embassy to give a flying fig about my corpse once I've carked it. What does it matter where a body is finally laid to rest? I'd rather my family (or indeed my country) kept the money (and its expensive to fly the deceased home - it's not the same as finding them an aisle seat - there are health regulations to be met, coffins to be found to hold the body, etc.) rather than moved my no-longer-in-the-remotest-bit-concerned flesh around the world.

for humanitarian reasons, the british embassy should assist to fly back the body back to uk at least.

The chances of them doing "the decent thing" is about as likely as a flying pig.

This whole thing is very strange, and it appears this may well have been covered up for reasons of bad PR. Is this a Kho Tao related death, as there was a n indentifed bosy found int he water recently?

Edited by Thunder26

more as a fyi than specific to this case -- if u cremate the body first, then the repatriation costs are significantly reduced

As are the investigation possibilities. When someone this age dies unexpectedly there will always be questions.

I'm British and I don't expect my embassy to give a flying fig about my corpse once I've carked it. What does it matter where a body is finally laid to rest? I'd rather my family (or indeed my country) kept the money (and its expensive to fly the deceased home - it's not the same as finding them an aisle seat - there are health regulations to be met, coffins to be found to hold the body, etc.) rather than moved my no-longer-in-the-remotest-bit-concerned flesh around the world.

I understand your point of view, but think from a parent prospective. Would you let your child rot somewhere overseas? Me personally no way. I would do everything to bring my deceased child back home. No matter what. Money is not important at that moment!

I have worked in a large Bangkok private hospital for the last 10 years and the number of tourists who are foolish enough not to take out insurance is legion, not just Brits but other nationalities too. If the British government paid to repatriate those who are uninsured, whether dead or maimed, then the costs would be excessive.

Just think that this happens in all countries where Brits travel and not just in Thailand do you think that the UK government should pay for everyone who is uninsured. And what about those who find themselves in hospital without the ability to pay, should the government stump up for their considerable bills too (and in every other country).

I deal with many embassies in Bangkok and none of them pay to repatriate their nationals.

The government in the UK charge so much tax for airline flights you might think it's reasonable to expect something in return.

The insurance fee on a regular holiday flight for someone of this age is a fraction of the tax paid for every long haul flight out of the UK.

So let me get this straight:

A 26 year old otherwise healthy British citizen has died a month after arriving in Thailand;

Newspapers in England make statements such as: Thai police are investigating but nothing is yet known about how he died;

No mention is made where he died;

As far as we know, no Thai media has reported the death;

All this after numerous murders, attacks, and other mysterious deaths (at least 5 on Koh Tao this year alone);

And you guys spend 7 pages bantering about travel insurance?

So let me get this straight:

A 26 year old otherwise healthy British citizen has died a month after arriving in Thailand;

Newspapers in England make statements such as: Thai police are investigating but nothing is yet known about how he died;

No mention is made where he died;

As far as we know, no Thai media has reported the death;

All this after numerous murders, attacks, and other mysterious deaths (at least 5 on Koh Tao this year alone);

And you guys spend 7 pages bantering about travel insurance?

How can anyone banter about something that is not in the public domain. We know nothing about how he died. Sometimes the Thai police will try not to release all the details in a personal misadventure if it can be considered embarrassing (loss of face) and the person does not seem to be "the wrong type of person" living in Pattaya. They could also be not releasing the details because they don't know. The only thing we know is he came here, planning on moving here perm, did not have travel insurance, and died. So there is only really one thing to argue about. All deaths of younger people are typically termed suspicious until the details are known (heart defect undiagnosed, allergy, drug overdose, etc.) -- there is nothing that can be extrapolated even from that.

This is <deleted> bad another good lad from England killed. The UK government is not doing enough to warn them of the dangers. Writing to my Mp about this.

I have been visiting Thailand for 18 years.

I have lived here for 11 years.

I have been a part of the visiting / expat community and guess what, no such problems exist without a good cause, at least no more than would happen in similar circumstances in any western country.

What 'dangers' do you feel that the UK Government should be warning against?

for humanitarian reasons, the british embassy should assist to fly back the body back to uk at least.

Er, No.

Doesn't seem to be much info about this at all.

An article in the Local paper

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Appeal-launched-bring-home-Sam-Austin-s-body/story-24583021-detail/story.html

Anyone have any ideas where this may have been? Suspecting The Southern Islands.

Another tragedy, condolences to his friends and family.

Tragic accident could be another balcony issue or traffic or lions or wasps (5) or drug OD or shooting or falling on a knife or running with scissors.

Cost of a burial plot is high because UK running out of space. Soon only the rich will be able to have a proper burial.

There is no way to be totally safe in Thailand nor any country but you have a better chance of being safe anywhere but Thailand. As soon as you land in the Kingdom you chances of being injured or killed increases with every mode of land transportation you opt to use. With every night adventure ie bar outing your chances of serious injury, drugging, robbery, rape and homicide are greater here than your own country. And to add to death toll are the inadequate emergency service response times.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as my next man, but the reason for no details revealed could actually be respect for the young mans family. If he committed suicide or died from a drug-OD, maybe they don't want it all over social media!!

That's not the way the Thai press works. Did you ever try reading Thairath?

The best advice for surviving a trip to Thailand is to come by tour group and go everywhere as a group. After that you have only the danger of road travel to survive.

That's not what Thailand is about though, the country is still more 'do it your own way' than have your hand held.

Not everyone is over 60 and incapable you know?

The best advice for surviving a trip to Thailand is to come by tour group and go everywhere as a group. After that you have only the danger of road travel to survive.

I have always despised tour group type vacations.... spoon fed dribble.

Surviving a trip to Thailand is typically fairly easy, avoid dealings with mafia or drugs, avoid getting into fights, be deferential and try understanding what is and what is not acceptable. Common sense stuff really. A tourist is not likely to get that far off the the beat and path anyways.

Edited by bkkcanuck8