Poll finds people happier under NCPO leadership

Lite Beer

Poll finds people happier under NCPO leadership

BANGKOK, 23 Nov 2014 (NNT) – A latest opinion survey by National Institute for Development Administration (NIDA) has found that most respondents are happier under the leadership of National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

The poll, which was conducted among 1,252 people countrywide during November 19 and 20, comprises three topics: the level of happiness, the government’s most satisfactory performance, and the respondents’ most worrying problems during the past six months.

Nearly 50 percent of the respondents said they felt happier and more secure under the care of the NCPO, as more officials were seen on duty at different areas. Nearly 42 percent of the respondents feel no differences, saying that social and economic problems still exist.

Fifty five percent think social order and political stability are what they are most satisfied with, while 15 percent still feel the NCPO government has yet to make outstanding changes.

Twenty eight percent think none of the NCPO’s performances is disappointing. The rest suggest that social, economic, and corruption problems be solved more urgently.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-23 footer_n.gif

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

67 odd million in the country, and they think 1,200 odd people is a representative sample?

When we get to see larger numbers of people polled, know what the questions are and how they are worded, and are assured it's an even sampling over the entire country then I might start to believe these polls.

Until then, every single poll and it's results I've seen here are just a complete and utter waste of time.

I did a quick poll myself (using a representative sample of foreigners here in Thailand, i.e. me) and the conclusion was inescapable ... 100% of me believes that these polls are complete and utter bullshit. The secondary conclusion was that there are approximately 80% of Thai's that DO believe these polls. Very interesting results from a very exhaustive and indepth poll.

• Like 1

"Nearly 50 percent of the respondents said they felt happier and more secure under the care of the NCPO..."

What did they use as a baseline for "happy" and "secure"? Were there other factors or changes in ones life that might have influenced levels of happiness and security? How about the cultural factor of not complaining and pretending everything is fine?

"Levels of Education" was a factor, but other factors weren't mentioned. Employment, income level, relationship status, and a host of other variables that could affect ones answer to such general questions.

Then there is the interpretation of the the numbers depending on who is conducting the survey and who benefits from certain findings.

Appears to be another thing Thailand has ripped off from the west...Skewed surveys to benefit the sponsor of the survey.

Edited by jaltsc

67 odd million in the country, and they think 1,200 odd people is a representative sample?

When we get to see larger numbers of people polled, know what the questions are and how they are worded, and are assured it's an even sampling over the entire country then I might start to believe these polls.

Until then, every single poll and it's results I've seen here are just a complete and utter waste of time.

I did a quick poll myself (using a representative sample of foreigners here in Thailand, i.e. me) and the conclusion was inescapable ... 100% of me believes that these polls are complete and utter bullshit. The secondary conclusion was that there are approximately 80% of Thai's that DO believe these polls. Very interesting results from a very exhaustive and indepth poll.

"67 odd million in the country, and they think 1,200 odd people is a representative sample?"

Statistically, yes, it is a representative sample.

edit: the link to the questions, answers, where and how they did the poll is above.

Edited by whybother
  • Like 2

I agree with you that how a question is asked has a strong influence on the outcome. Also that the sample needs to represent people from all walks of life and location. But your comment that the sample size is too small is not correct statistically. The sample size of 1252 in a population of 65 million will give you this result of 50% plus or minus 3.6% in 99% of the time if you had polled the entire population.

"Nearly 50 percent of the respondents said they felt happier and more secure under the care of the NCPO"

That is more then 43% that voted for the last government. Big difference is this result does not suit the PTP agenda ergo this majority will be denounced or disrespected.

Thus is the logic of PTP supporters.

Then should not be a problem to call an election.

However, a drop from 93% to less than 50% in the span of few months should be of some concern.

"Nearly 50 percent of the respondents said they felt happier and more secure under the care of the NCPO"

That is more then 43% that voted for the last government. Big difference is this result does not suit the PTP agenda ergo this majority will be denounced or disrespected.

PTP PTP PTP

Then should not be a problem to call an election.

However, a drop from 93% to less than 50% in the span of few months should be of some con

Completely agree and I appreciate your input.

I too wish elections were forthcoming, but unfortunately reform is needed to ensure democracy starts post ballot box as opposed to where it stops.

• Like 1

I agree with you that how a question is asked has a strong influence on the outcome. Also that the sample needs to represent people from all walks of life and location. But your comment that the sample size is too small is not correct statistically. The sample size of 1252 in a population of 65 million will give you this result of 50% plus or minus 3.6% in 99% of the time if you had polled the entire population.

Yes, you and whybother are correct, I didn't word my post very well.

However, if I'm reading their results correctly they are claiming a margin of error of 1.4% which is not correct given population numbers and numbers polled.