Silver Lake

swissie

Have recommended to a Farang Visitor to go and see the "Silver-Lake Area", whenever Pattaya gets a bit too much. He reports back that Taxi-Drivers have no use for "Silver-Lake" . ???

So what would be the Thai-Word to describe the Silver-Lake Area?

I myself will be in Pattaya next month and "Silver-Lake" is definitely on the agenda. As of 12 years ago. I remember the area and it's views as breathtakingly beautiful. Of course

after 12 years it can not be possibly the same. Probably fast food joints at every corner and if one sits down at a bar for a quiet beer, the first thing the server wants to know "where do you come from".sad.png

I shall find out for myself soon. Others, that have been visiting the place more recently than I, are very welcome go give input.

Cheers.

Avoid it on the weekends or holidays. It's packed. If they don't know Silver Lake, find another driver. It's a well known area.

It's more developed now, but still a wonderful area. No bars, no fast food joints. Don't forget to visit Buddha mountain pictured above and Wat Yan nearby.

Unfortunately they allowed too much intrusive development and it is losing the unspoilt aspect.

I can never understand why Thai people try to improve what is already beautiful.

Women the world over call it make up. In the USA cosmetic industry sales 62 billion per year.

Unfortunately they allowed too much intrusive development and it is losing the unspoilt aspect.

I can never understand why Thai people try to improve what is already beautiful.

Point well take, but it's a reality all over the world. Too many beautiful spots now overrun with tourists....and residents.

It should probably be pointed out there was nothing at Silver Lake until a developer came in and built a tourist attraction in the form of a winery.

And there was no Chinese museum or Wat until someone built them to attract tourists. So there was no beauty to see except a feild and a mountain before the developers came in.

While what you say is I'm sure true of places like the Grand Canyon it is not true of man made tourist attractions like Pattaya, Silver Lake or Disney World.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I doubt you would know that, because before they built the Khao Chee Chan image you would have needed a tractor to go down that road and i am guessing you do not have one.

Even if you are not a regular motorcycle driver, it's worth to rent one for a day to do the ride. It's a very nice track. Give it a try. Perhaps then you should extend your trip to Ban Chang.

I'm not sure a novice should be driving down Sukhumvit there.

There is a way from Chairapruk on smaller roads I do believe. Google Maps will find it.

1/2 day round trip from Pattaya getting the sites in. I kinda got lost and found the places by accident.

Nice winding, scenic, country roads with the Winery, Buddha Mtn. and Chinese temple in the vicinity.

That temple is very impressive.

No way is a taxi going to take you there for less than 1000 baht and he'll have to wait for you because there won't be any taxis to take you back.

It's about an hour's worth of entertainment if you eat in the restaurant which is decent but not fantastic. Beautiful location though.

Unless someone can convince me of otherwise, I will never visit this place again.

Reason for not visiting, do they still have the human zoo freak show that is the "longnecks"?

Plenty of other places just as beautiful in the region, that thankfully havent yet been raped and pillaged.

IMHO the only ones who promote the area are the property developers.

Unless someone can convince me of otherwise, I will never visit this place again.

Reason for not visiting, do they still have the human zoo freak show that is the "longnecks"?

Plenty of other places just as beautiful in the region, that thankfully havent yet been raped and pillaged.

Silver lake winery has been raped and pillaged? How so?

post-187908-0-41197400-1417013419_thumb.

• Like 1

Not talking about the winery, talking about the area in general.

Noticed you didnt answer the question,

do they still have the human zoo freak show that is the "longnecks"?

Its a moot point.

Reason for the greenie, isnt your post, its coz I like the new avatar, thats a cute looking dog.

Its a moot point.

Reason for the greenie, isnt your post, its coz I like the new avatar, thats a cute looking dog.

The area in general is farms and a lake. Only freak is that guy with the tattoos in Pattaya from New Zealand or Australia or something about 20 miles away. There is a Wat and a Chinese museum. Quiet places good for meditation of taking photos. The long neck people are at the opposite end of Thailand close to Burma if that's what you mean. Mai Hong son is close to Chiang Mai a lot of freaky people there.

Thanks for the dog comment she is a soi dog rescue.

Have you ever actually been there?

The Human zoo was there the last time I visited, go and visit the "freaks"

Farang price 200 baht, Thai price 20 baht, on your LH side as you entered from the car park.

I will admit, I havent visited the area since 2008, hence the reason for asking if the freak show was still there.

PS, well done with the dog.

Its a moot point.

The area in general is farms and a lake. Only freak is that guy with the tattoos in Pattaya from New Zealand or Australia or something about 20 miles away. There is a Wat and a Chinese museum. Quiet places good for meditation of taking photos. The long neck people are at the opposite end of Thailand close to Burma if that's what you mean. Mai Hong son is close to Chiang Mai a lot of freaky people there.

Thanks for the dog comment she is a soi dog rescue.

Have you ever actually been there?

The Human zoo was there the last time I visited, go and visit the "freaks"

Farang price 200 baht, Thai price 20 baht, on your LH side as you entered from the car park.

I will admit, I havent visited the area since 2008, hence the reason for asking if the freak show was still there.

PS, well done with the dog.

Nope Silver lake never had any kind of zoo human or otherwise. It is a vineyard. Maybe you mean Nong Nooch? I never paid any money at Silver Lake for anything. I've been to Silver Lake 10 times over the past 6 or 8 years. Maybe someone else can help but I'm sure there has never been a freak show there or any place around there. There are human statues at the Chinese museum that people take photos with. Silver Lake has only improved the local area not harmed anything.

• Like 1

Au contraire TLT,

a small Karen/long neck village that tourists can pay a fee to go into.

Source,

Another,

Oh wow what this,

Continue to Cheechan Valley where you see Buddha image seated in mediatation posture of Sukhothai Cum Lanna style. sun set scenic view. It was built to commemorate the
50th anniversary of his majesty the King ascending the throne. Then after, continue to the City of Love of Love- Mimosa where you can enjoy unique and fun shopping experience. Then after visit the newest attraction Karen Long Neck Village where you can see women in Long Neck where you can see their way of living and wonderful culture.

from here,

http://www.marimari.com/tour/thailand/4D3N-5D4N-bangkok-pattaya-package.html

Wow yet again,

Not far away, between Silverlake and the Big Buddha, they recently built a small Karen village where several Padong Karen, or “long necks”

from here,

http://www.lilawadee-resort-bangsaray.com/contents/en-us/d21_Silverlake_Vineyard.html

Want me to go on?

Edited by Rimmer
Forum link removed as per forum rules

Hmmmm....I've not spent much time cruising around that area lately, other than just driving by, but this long neck village must be a new thing. They've had one for years in Huay Yai, not too far away and towards the Pattaya area, but this one seems new. Too bad.

It's actually not part of Silver Lake. And probably not part of Buddha mountain. Just an empty part of ground somebody has rented out. Sad.

You can still easily visit the area and not partake of this. Definitely not a reason to avoid these places if you really want to visit.

• Like 1

About the only reason I know why Thais go to the place is to take a selfie of this.

attachicon.gifDSCN0112.JPG

http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/venue/details.php?vid=461&la=en

They have concerts there.

There is still quite a mess from last weeks concert.

And a bad smell!

I think you can avoid that area but i wonder if they are finished cleaning up.

Bump, easy directions to Chinese museum please and thank you.

About the only reason I know why Thais go to the place is to take a selfie of this.

And a bad smell!

If you are driving from Pattaya turn left before you get to Silver lake and just follow that road.

• Like 1

And a bad smell!

Not trying to be a nit, but directions from where? Silver Lake or Pattaya? If from Silver Lake, head towards Buddha mountain. Just past the vendors on the right is a road that goes to the right. That will wind you right to the museum. Where the road dead ends, it's right there on your right!

• Like 1