Koh Tao's dark side: dangers of island where Britons were murdered

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you all wait for the trial.

I think we're all looking forward to a trial, and hope it's as fair as can be expected in Thailand. What I'd rather see is a trial focusing on those who should be suspects (as defendants), instead of the scapegoats.

I think the B2 will get off, and there won't even be a trial. Not having a trial is common re; Thai on farang crimes. Similarly, many crimes, are unresolved. This is particularly true re; farang as victims. Why? Because it could adversely affect the Goose That Lays the Golden Eggs = tourist money.

What saddens me is, with what I've seen and know about how things operate in Thailand, ...people with money and connections (as well as police or military) just can't be seriously busted for a serious crime. Just two of many examples: Chaleum's youngest son who shot and killed a cop at point-blank range, then ran off to Cambodia for several months and only returned when his daddy promised he'd be treated with kid gloves. Even though many Thai witnessed the killing, not one was brave enough to speak the truth. And the more recent killing of a cop by the son of one of SE Asia's richest men. He was able to skip off to Singapore unscathed.

Similarly, after the B2 get dealt with (probably let off for lack of evidence), Thai officials won't do the right thing and fully investigate the Headman's people. It's anathema to Thai officials to implicate someone from an important and rich family - in a crime.

• Like 1

Sadly, there is nothing new in this thread.

Just the usual rhetoric, name calling and cynical predictions.

Hopefully, we will get to hear some real facts soon - when the BIB's have to re-present their evidence.

It is good that everyone is allowed to present their views and to have a voice, but I would prefer to see something new rather than all of this. And remember...

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

• Like 2

Boomerang you have just shot yourself in foot...you say you await a trail ...then in same breath say the accused are innocent. What's with the zillion opinions here. Its a judicial process. Save your opinions till trail completed .

Your not even Thai. Most xpats are armchair experts. All sorts of conspiracy theories. This forum should be referred to Mel Gibson

• Like 1

Boomerang you have just shot yourself in foot...you say you await a trail ...then in same breath say the accused are innocent. What's with the zillion opinions here. Its a judicial process. Save your opinions till trail completed .

Your not even Thai. Most xpats are armchair experts. All sorts of conspiracy theories. This forum should be referred to Mel Gibson

To have opinions is to be human. I don't have to be objective here. I'm not a judge or a juror (Thai system doesn't involve juries anyway). I look forward to a trial, mainly because the scapegoats deserve one, after being framed and having their freedom and dignity taken away. Other reasons I look forward to a trial: to see what evidence comes forth. But mostly, I look forward to a trial involving those who should really be the suspects (and hopefully evidence gathered by the Brits will be brought to bear), but am cynical that will ever happen. I'll be the first to admit that I'm opinionated and subjective about seeking justice for this crime. That's my right. I'm posting on a blog here. How about you?

p.s. I also won't want to read about similar future crimes committed by those who should now be the prime suspects.

• Like 1

Why don't you all wait for the trial.

what trial? there will be no trial

What's this post actually mean? You implying there will be no trial or charges dropped or just executed.

Typical TV post

I think he probably means there will be no trial. If the evidence was so perfect as the RTP first claimed why does the prosecution keep sending it back?

• Like 1

Can't wait for "you know who" response to this.........whistling.gif ..

Something new in this article, any facts or evidence that wasn't written about thousand times already?

Just about everyone on Koh Tao insists visitors are safe, but many also agree, quietly, that the Burmese migrant workers arrested for the murders are innocent – meaning the real killer or killers remain at large.

Yes, the last sentence of a UK newspaper's reporter.............. thumbsup.gif

You mean that they claim to be innocent?

For your information, the vast majority of inmates all over the world claim to be innocent.

Next

Not in the U.S. And I suspect, based on what I've read in Thai newspapers, not in LOS either.

They plea bargain to get reduced sentences.

There will not be a trial

There will soon be bail

There then will be hope

That public interest will fail

To get to the truth

Is not gonna happen

It is too far up the chain

But this time around

They choked on their flapping

Once on bail, expect a news conference with the lawyers, and reference to the British investigation which will led to a dropping of all charges

Once the RTP realize that the public is less concerned about the solving of the crime, than they are making sure two Burmese kids don't hang for the headman,

this will blow over.

Once they let the two kids go,

my interest in justice will be mostly served,

not that I feel rapists and murderers should walk free,

they already have done that

and the police chief got his medal from Suthep.

that is what power and influence means to Thailand

• Like 1

"Koh Tao" "Dark side" "Conspiracy theories" "Headman" - I see all these words, and nothing from JD, not a sentence, not a word, not a syllable - nothing. Come on JD, you are keeping us all in suspense awaiting your words of wisdom on this matter cheesy.gif

12 member team from Myannmar has arrived with enough money for bail, and brought a forensics team,

When was the last time the Thai police had a member of the Myanmmar upper house of Parliament come to the aid of two of their underclass?

Burmese boys falsely imprisoned and tortured by Thai police,

and where is the pancake beater?

sure like to see him turn on the Thai

Edited by SteveFong

12 member team from Myannmar has arrived with enough money for bail,

Someone has told you already if and how much the bail will be ?

From the Samui Post 21st Nov

During the hearing the prosecutor said that he did not oppose the accused requesting bail. Lawyers for the accused have now requested the Myanmar embassy to consider attempting to post bail for the temporary release of the accused. If bail were approved as the two men are non Thai nationals it would perhaps be likely that bail would be set at around 1,000,000 per person.

• Like 1

There is another article that I cannot paste the link too, dont know why my TOR browser doesnt allow that, but, yes,

the Myannmar Upper House Speaker, is apparently a wealthy man,

he will make the bail,

the Thailand Justice Institute is putting up 20 lawyers, for free for the Burmese boys

Keep the publicity, and particularly the international interest going, and just maybe there will be a result. The BIB and what can roughly be described as the Thai government are hoping that other world news will bury this story.

Not my favourite paper, but well done The Guardian!

Alternatively take action yourself by leaving Thailand in protest. I and a few others I know of did just that. It's primarily about refusing to support a system with our money that is so corrupt and will do whatever it takes to hide the truth.

Thailand no longer deserves the financial support we provide and those expats who remain should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

There is another article that I cannot paste the link too, dont know why my TOR browser doesnt allow that, but, yes,

he will make the bail,

the Thailand Justice Institute is putting up 20 lawyers, for free for the Burmese boys

Steve, I for one would like to read this, can you post the name of the publication for me, may be I will be able to post the link, cheers.

Edited by Willy Eckerslike

Perhaps someone should take a look at Costa de Sols record lately, its tame here by comparison.

Look pal.... If you live in the Costa Del Sol, then please go and use the Spanish expat forums, this is Thailand and Thai forum. So stop attempting to justify murder as an acceptable norm just because murder happens elsewhere.

Now go and haunt another forum and post your evidence of 6 mysterious deaths on a tiny remote island as is what we are seeing on the tiny island of Kho Tao.

Koh Tao is NOT the Costa Del Sol.... It is tiny... so your comparison is completely disproportionate and therefore invalid.

By the way you are almost certainly pointing to the recent gangland turf wars between the Brit and Irish drug barons fighting over who runs what territory. Completely different, the Spanish are not hacking their tourists to death and throwing their bodies in the sea only to have their police and government cover everything up to protect tourism..

<snip>

Fair enough, but as usual Vailed Thai Bashing creeps in.

It would greatly help if you stopped posting incorrect information then.

he will make the bail,

Steve, I for one would like to read this, can you post the name of the publication for me, may be I will be able to post the link, cheers.

Found it....DVB..............

http://www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murders-burmese-legal-forensics-teams-arrive-burma-myanmar/46045

Edited by Willy Eckerslike

he will make the bail,

Found it....DVB..............

http://www.dvb.no/news/koh-tao-murders-burmese-legal-forensics-teams-arrive-burma-myanmar/46045

there is a more complete article on nationsmedia

I cannot find the post or the link now though and my browser doesnt store anything, I use TOR so i am not traceable

this way I can post from anywhere in Thailand and it shows I can be in Zambia one day, Moscow the next

• Like 1

Keep the publicity, and particularly the international interest going, and just maybe there will be a result. The BIB and what can roughly be described as the Thai government are hoping that other world news will bury this story.

Not my favourite paper, but well done The Guardian!

Alternatively take action yourself by leaving Thailand in protest. I and a few others I know of did just that. It's primarily about refusing to support a system with our money that is so corrupt and will do whatever it takes to hide the truth.

Thailand no longer deserves the financial support we provide and those expats who remain should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

"expats who remain should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves." - In your opinion. You chose to leave - fine. You're telling other people what to do and then passing judgement on them for doing as you say - cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Edited by Baerboxer

Perhaps someone should take a look at Costa de Sols record lately, its tame here by comparison.

Look pal.... If you live in the Costa Del Sol, then please go and use the Spanish expat forums, this is Thailand and Thai forum. So stop attempting to justify murder as an acceptable norm just because murder happens elsewhere.

Now go and haunt another forum and post your evidence of 6 mysterious deaths on a tiny remote island as is what we are seeing on the tiny island of Kho Tao.

Koh Tao is NOT the Costa Del Sol.... It is tiny... so your comparison is completely disproportionate and therefore invalid.

By the way you are almost certainly pointing to the recent gangland turf wars between the Brit and Irish drug barons fighting over who runs what territory. Completely different, the Spanish are not hacking their tourists to death and throwing their bodies in the sea only to have their police and government cover everything up to protect tourism..

<snip>

Fair enough, but as usual Vailed Thai Bashing creeps in.

It would greatly help if you stopped posting incorrect information then.

Deaths of Britons overseas are available from UK government.

However, the number of deaths, assaults, sexual assaults, robberies, and assorted crimes carried out against foreigners seems to be rising and become a more common instance. Or is it just better reported now?

Edited by Baerboxer

to be fair to Koh Tao, and its inhabitants

to become a victim of a violent crime, can be random, or,

you can be where victims of violent crime become victims

in this case,

Hannah was easy prey

what lured her to the beach at 4:00 am,

is the unsolved mystery.

If it was to meet David, to party and watch the sun come up, well, I can't say that was wrong,

but in Koh Tao, that night, it surely was

They look at France which had 20 times more tourists yet Thailand had over 360 violent deaths of Brits alone. If it is the same for other nationalities that makes thousands of tourist deaths. But for now Thailand appears, for Brits, to be more dangerous than Helmand province in war torn Afghanistan.

Dont you mean Brits are more dangerous to themselves in Thailand?

For some reason they do tend to be the stand out crowd when it come to stupid loutish drunken behaviour.

Drunk and doing crazy things on bikes. Drink all day,then fighting when full. dont seem to question about drugs they will take.

and then there are the full moon party.

theres even enough cases of brits in trouble to make a tv show out of it..many in jail for drugs and boiler room scam.

is a bit rich to blame the country

Not saying any of those things had a part in David and Hannas case tho. Nasty terrible stuff, hope those scum who did it do burn in hell

• Like 1

So nothing really new in the story other than that there is more business than expected. That contrary to statements on TVF ; not everyone on the island claims to know who did it.

And perhaps most telling : the lawyer of the 2 Burmese men accused of being the killers admits that they may have done it, but doesn't think that they did.