Thai PM threatens to bar Yingluck from travelling abroad

Lite Beer

PM Prayut critical of Ms Yingluck’s criticism

11-17-2014-8-35-05-PM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha hinted yesterday that the former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra might be barred from leaving abroad, or even had her financial transactions halted if she continued giving political comments which could led to political unrest in the country.

The prime minister’s indication was in respond to recent interview to Bangkok Post about the May 22 coup that overthrew her administration.

In the interview, Ms Yingluck said being elected was like being “handed the car keys” to Thailand and asked to drive.

When the coup-makers seized power Ms Yingluck said it was as though someone had “put a gun to her head” and told her to get out of the car “while she was driving the people forward”.

But Gen Prayut was highly critical of her analogy, saying it was her political discourse.

“Who hijacked her car?” he asked.

He said if her comment stirred up opposition and lead to disturbance, he would ask the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to look into it.

The NCPO has rules and measures to deal with unrest from soft to tough, he said.

“Some may not be permitted to travel abroad … the next level may be that they are banned from financial transactions. These are the rules,” he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-prayut-critical-ms-yinglucks-criticism

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-11-26

In other news, Angry PM Prayuth says he is NOT a dictator.

• Like 1

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy is so far out of his depths that it's dangerous. Freedom is the corner stone of democracy and it's now clear that the General has no intention of allowing anything that could undermine his authority. This ongoing farce will only damage Thailand further.

Thainess = Corruption, Greed, Self Interests, No Morality, No Honesty, No Integrity, Nationalism, Protectionism, No Freedom and certainly No Democracy.

The route that is being taken will see Thailand in the same league as North Korea and Burma.

"We have clear rules. If something triggers chaos or unrest we have measures"

Well isn't a coup a trigger for ..chaos and unrest. hmmmmm. He triggered the coup, declared himself almost god

He should arrest himself.... I do not think he got to be chief of the army on IQ potential

Since that trigger has been pulled, where is the chaos and unrest? Haven't the nightly shootings and bombings stopped, the calls for a separate state disappeared, and the protesters and anti-protesters returned to their homes?

Has the unrest stopped all over Thailand? Has the calls from the South for a separate state stopped?

• Like 1

It's a figure of speach it's no different from the saying "pulling the wool over ones eyes" and pulling the rig from under your feet"

Both applicable to the General in his " I will not stage a coup" statement he " pulled the rug from under the feet " of both sides of the protest and "pulled the wool over the eyes" over the rest of the country by staging the coup

He would so well to remember he lied to the world he wouldn't stage a coup, respective of the reasons why.

Lying is an act of dishonesty in many peoples books and if you can lie about that, what else are you capable of lying about?

• Like 1

She's using a figure of speech.She is not saying that a real gun was pointed at her. What is with some of you people.

How many Thai "up country" people do you think understand the difference between a figure of speech and speaking literally?

My mother in law still refuses to accept Yingluck could possible have done anything wrong. Father in law and rest of family now just shake their heads knowingly. Not her fault - she simply can't understand the political machinations and complexities and has had years of "Thaksin and Shins good, others bad" drummed into her by red shirts, red radio, village headman, etc. Many of the intended audience of this article will be the same. It puts a picture of poor brave Yingluck being forcibly removed from office under armed threat whilst she was valiantly trying to keep in control. And yes, some will be naive enough to believe it.

That's hardly the point is it. Here we have a supposedly educated General who appointed himself PM pretending ( I can only hope he is) to not know that Yingluck was using a metaphor.

Prayut hit out at her remarks, saying to reporters: "Who pointed the gun at her?"

That is disingenuous at best but otherwise a patronising remark aimed at reporters who do know what is a metaphor and what isn't. If O'cha come across without his trademark defensive approach to what he regards as criticism he might be taken a bit more seriously by those who still have enough braincells to see through the hagiographic haze...............................but I don't hold out much hope coffee1.gif

If the general reacts like this over an off the cuff remark then I would hate to see him if he really gets upset.

Just look on here at his supports yet another epic thread just because of one name Yingluck!

No need for attitude adjustment on here your training is complete.

I hope she runs again it's worth the price admission just to watch the reaction of the coup supporters when the PTP regain power through democratic elections with Yingluck at the helm.

Maybe the generals advisors show tell him in the democratic world people people can say no.

This guy is so far out of his depths that it's dangerous. Freedom is the corner stone of democracy and it's now clear that the General has no intention of allowing anything that could undermine his authority. This ongoing farce will only damage Thailand further.

Thainess = Corruption, Greed, Self Interests, No Morality, No Honesty, No Integrity, Nationalism, Protectionism, No Freedom and certainly No Democracy.

The route that is being taken will see Thailand in the same league as North Korea and Burma.

Last I checked, this isn't currently a democracy, so the General having no intention of allowing anything that undermines his authority shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

Oh poor dear leader is going to cry. Mummy Yingluk said a nasty word and she doesn't love me. Please, please make her love me I am suppose to be god and all should love me and drop at my feet. Sad example of a person who self proclaims to be the greatest leader in the history of the world.

• Like 1

Would have been much better off saying nothing at all on this issue and just wait till she asks for permission again in the future, then say NO!

But Prayuth seems to be finding it very difficult lately keeping his cool.

I think the job of running the country is starting to eat into him, and is now losing the plot.

Well Dear Leader sir.... This is not a board game where when things are not to your liking you can simply fold the game. Nor can you walk away and continue it later.... Once you open the box and set up the board, you are in the game to the very end... win, lose or draw.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Who pointed the gun at her?" - If Prayut doesn't know, we've all got problems...

She removed herself from office when she dissolved Parliament. No?

There is no legal or automatic connection in the countries I've looked into between the dissolution of a parliament and the continuance of a Cabinet and a government. In fact, there's no requirement in the definition of a Prime Minister that a Prime Minister even be a member of parliament. Thus, Yingluk was still the Prime Minister when she dissolved parliament. Yes?

There is no legal or automatic connection in the countries I've looked into between the dissolution of a parliament and the continuance of a Cabinet and a government. In fact, there's no requirement in the definition of a Prime Minister that a Prime Minister even be a member of parliament. Thus, Yingluk was still the Prime Minister when she dissolved parliament. Yes?

There is a requirement in Thailand for the PM to be an MP.

On dissolution of parliament, the government becomes a care-taker government, and therefore Yingluck was the caretaker PM. They have no legal standing to make any new announcements or financial commitments that the next government would have to carry out. That was the reason the previous government couldn't pay the farmers once they'd called an election. They weren't allowed to borrow more money. They're only allowed to follow through with commitments made prior to dissolution.

• Like 1

She should have said:

While I'm at the wheel driving the people forward to total bankruptcy, Thank Buddha, suddenly, someone points an imaginary gun at my head and tells me to get lost.

Bar her from everything, she was she is and she will be a liability to this country.

Where did you get that nonsense from? Clearly not by looking at the Thai economy which saw year on year increases of over 5% the whole time she was in office. Compare that to what has happened since, zero growth and actually the slowest now in se Asia, it is quite clear that the current situation is in no way sustainable and unless things change next year than bankruptcy is now on the cards again for the first time since the 1990's.
Indeed it was a prosperous time for the country: 5% growth and the PEOPLE also benefited, as inflation didn't increase drastically...oh wait rolleyes.gif

No, inflation did not increase dramatically, throughout Yingluck's term inflation was fairly constant and stayed between 2% and 4%. Hardly the 10%+ inflation seen during Leekpai's government is it? 1998-1999, now that was a dramatic increase.

I'm talking about on a micro-economical level i.e the level most people are affected at: eg. 10 - 15% increase on the prices of food on the street, eggs at the market etc. Even her own supporters admitted to having more disposal income BEFORE minmum wage hike and rice fiasco. Official inflation figures are easy to manipulate. From a personal perspective: My weekly Big C bill has increased about 35% over the past 18months. I'm a boring old fool and buy the same crap every week...and no....I don't buy imported goods.

It is not a question about what she said, but the fact that she was brave enough to say it!!

About time political leaders from both sides show a little courage!!

Perhaps her brother Thaksin will show a little bit of courage as well by returning to Thailand and handing himself over to the police and going to complete his 2 year jail sentence plus the extra time due for breaking his bail. Who knows he could even fight the other 15 outstanding charges against him too.

• Like 2

She should have said:

While I'm at the wheel driving the people forward to total bankruptcy, Thank Buddha, suddenly, someone points an imaginary gun at my head and tells me to get lost.

Bar her from everything, she was she is and she will be a liability to this country.

Where did you get that nonsense from? Clearly not by looking at the Thai economy which saw year on year increases of over 5% the whole time she was in office. Compare that to what has happened since, zero growth and actually the slowest now in se Asia, it is quite clear that the current situation is in no way sustainable and unless things change next year than bankruptcy is now on the cards again for the first time since the 1990's.
Indeed it was a prosperous time for the country: 5% growth and the PEOPLE also benefited, as inflation didn't increase drastically...oh wait rolleyes.gif

No, inflation did not increase dramatically, throughout Yingluck's term inflation was fairly constant and stayed between 2% and 4%. Hardly the 10%+ inflation seen during Leekpai's government is it? 1998-1999, now that was a dramatic increase.

I'm talking about on a micro-economical level i.e the level most people are affected at: eg. 10 - 15% increase on the prices of food on the street, eggs at the market etc. Even her own supporters admitted to having more disposal income BEFORE minmum wage hike and rice fiasco. Official inflation figures are easy to manipulate. From a personal perspective: My weekly Big C bill has increased about 35% over the past 18months. I'm a boring old fool and buy the same crap every week...and no....I don't buy imported goods.

The consumer price index was also pretty stationary right up until the protests started, you can hardly blame yingluck for the massive increases in prices the forced take over has caused through global insecurity of Thailand. There would have been no rice fiasco if it weren't for the protests which caused china to back out of the biggest rice deal Thailand had ever had.

The consumer price index was also pretty stationary right up until the protests started, you can hardly blame yingluck for the massive increases in prices the forced take over has caused through global insecurity of Thailand. There would have been no rice fiasco if it weren't for the protests which caused china to back out of the biggest rice deal Thailand had ever had.

"caused china to back out of the biggest rice deal Thailand had ever had."

You believed that? cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Ex-commerce minister’s secretary faces charges over fake G-to-G rice deals

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757870-ex-commerce-ministers-secretary-faces-charges-over-fake-g-to-g-rice-deals/

• Like 2

"Who pointed the gun at her?" - If Prayut doesn't know, we've all got problems...

No one pointed the gun at her. She is a drama queen seeking attention. No one pointed the gun at her.
What planet are you living on?

Another one eyed post. She dissolved parliament, therefore it was she who left the office and is now trying to stir up her followers by coming out with a fallacious statement that you obviously fell for. She has a press conference and states that whilst she was driving a car containing people, forward, she felt as if some held a gun to her head.

Elected PM without qualifications. In another press release she stated that she wont seek re-election but would like to be a social worker. Again, no qualifications. Now a car taking people forward. Clearly no qualifications. No License, driving forward. Doesn't know R from D, as the car had to be going backwards in the same direction the country was travelling during the past three years of her government.

What Planet is he living on? The planet of reality not the planet of fantasy.

She should have said:

But Chuan Leekpai had just been elected as PM of Thailand whioch was on the verge of bankruptcy due to the governments of Banharn Silpa Archa and Chavalit Yongchaiyudh and they had to negotiate a loan from the IMF and the world bank and then pay it back. Also most of Asia was in the doldrums financially as well. The exchange rate for western currencies was very poor and this was what Chuan inherited but did not create.

That's hardly the point is it. Here we have a supposedly educated General who appointed himself PM pretending ( I can only hope he is) to not know that Yingluck was using a metaphor.

The "educated General" probably did not think Yingluck even knew what a metaphor was, let alone know how to use one in a sentence !

My mother in law still refuses to accept Yingluck could possible have done anything wrong.

Had a similar situation happening with my in-laws Bb, but things have changed. They have gone from supporting her, and her brother before that, loyally selling their votes to them, to now blaming them for the low prices they received for their rice crop this year. The entire family have changed their opinion of the once adored Shin family, pity some of the farangs living in Thailand did not have the same good sense.

• Like 1

Ex-commerce ministers secretary faces charges over fake G-to-G rice deals

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757870-ex-commerce-ministers-secretary-faces-charges-over-fake-g-to-g-rice-deals/

Oh, the fake 7.3million ton deal by the police man? And what about the real 22 million ton deal that the government lost?

Makes perfect sense, she is a suspected and being charged of massive corruption, for sure she should not be allowed to travel. See what her odious Desert Coward Brother did.

Well mrtoad, do you know something the rest of us don't? As I understand it Ms Yingluck is being investigated for negligence not corruption.

Her 'negligence' is that while Prime-Minister, she wilfully and deliberately stood aside while her brothers cronies carried out one of the worst corruption scandals in Thai history. She knew exactly what was going on and despite several warnings from outside, chose to do nothing about it.

That is worse than corruption. More like betraying her country and the people not to mention the oath of office she took. Comes under 'treason' in my book.

• Like 1

No one pointed the gun at her. She is a drama queen seeking attention. No one pointed the gun at her.

What planet are you living on?

Why ask such a question? She dissolved parliament, therefore she left office and is now trying to stir up her followers by coming out with a fallacious statement that you obviously fell for. She has a press conference and states that whilst she driving a car (imaginary) containing people, forward, she felt as if some held a gun to her head.

So we have a woman who was elected PM without qualifications. Then, in another press release she stated that she wont seek re-election but would like to be a social worker. Again, no qualifications. Now a car taking people forward. Clearly no qualifications. No License, driving forward. Doesn't know R from D, as the car had to be going backwards in the same direction the country was travelling during the past three years of her government.

What Planet is he living on? The planet of reality not the planet of fantasy.

Ex-commerce ministers secretary faces charges over fake G-to-G rice deals

Oh, the fake 7.3million ton deal by the police man? And what about the real 22 million ton deal that the government lost?

China were going to buy Thailand's entire rice stock??

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is a requirement in Thailand for the PM to be an MP.

On dissolution of parliament, the government becomes a care-taker government, and therefore Yingluck was the caretaker PM. They have no legal standing to make any new announcements or financial commitments that the next government would have to carry out. That was the reason the previous government couldn't pay the farmers once they'd called an election. They weren't allowed to borrow more money. They're only allowed to follow through with commitments made prior to dissolution.

Thanks. Refreshingly informative.