Just got my Non-O and now the school says it's the wrong one

I received all of my paperwork from a well known language school in Pattaya. I took it over to the Honorary Thai Consul here in Dallas, Texas and he issued a 90 Day Non-O Single Entry Visa for me and another for my son. The Consul had all of the school paperwork and knew I was going to be getting the ED extensions.

After sending scans of the visas to the school, they said that my son's Non-O is fine, but that mine is supposed to be a Non-ED. To my knowledge, there's no such thing. I understood that I get a Non-O based on the paperwork from my school and then get the ED extensions when I go to immigration every ninety days. When I told the woman from the school that, she said "We used to do it that way, but no more." I haven't had any more clarification from her yet, so I don't really know what she means.

Can anyone shed some light on this and let me know what I should do about it? We leave for Thailand on January 1st, so I have time to fix the visa problem if there is one. I feel like I should trust the Consul over the school, but I guess it's possible that something changed and the Consul just doesn't know about it. I'm hoping something is just lost in translation with the school, though.

Some of the guys that are full bottle with your question will give you the correct info, but to my knowledge, yes you do have to get an Education Visa as you are going to teach as you have stated.

No, I'm not teaching. I'm taking Thai classes. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Edited by Bellacissa

Some of the guys that are full bottle with your question will give you the correct info, but to my knowledge, yes you do have to get an Education Visa as you are going to teach as you have stated.

No, I'm not teaching. I'm taking Thai classes. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Well that's a different story, if you are only taking Thai classes to learn Thai, to my knowledge you only need a Non-Immigrant "o".

But as I said one of the guys full bottle will fill you in, more than likely ubonjoe he is on the ball.

Edited by OZEMADE
  • Like 1

Yes, there is a non-immigrant visa category ED. See this page on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

You are free to attend a Thai language course during the 90 days' permission to stay you get when you enter Thailand with your non-O visa, but under current rules most immigration offices will not give you an extension of stay for study. You would have to go to a consulate somewhere and get a non-ED visa to continue your studies after the initial 90 days and subsequently get study extensions. Therefore, you may as well get the non-ED now, before flying to Thailand.

Yes, there is a non-immigrant visa category ED. See this page on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

You are free to attend a Thai language course during the 90 days' permission to stay you get when you enter Thailand with your non-O visa, but under current rules most immigration offices will not give you an extension of stay for study. You would have to go to a consulate somewhere and get a non-ED visa to continue your studies after the initial 90 days and subsequently get study extensions. Therefore, you may as well get the non-ED now, before flying to Thailand.

Thank you, Maestro. And here I thought I had it all down cold.

I wonder why the Consul didn't know about it. I'll send him an email and see if I can get it fixed.

Quick question while I wait for a response: So, if I can't get the visa changed to an ED before I go, I'm still ok as long as I go somewhere like Laos after the first 90 days with the paperwork from my school? Would it just be that border run and then I go to immigration for subsequent extensions of stay?

According to the rules there is no reason for you to have to have a non-ed visa to attend school and get an extension based upon it. All that is required is a non immigrant visa. The school is accustomed to people starting out with a ED visa. You should be able to get the extension with the non-o visa.

Is the honorary consul still Forrest Smith?

He made the same mistake with me, oddly enough. He did not know an ED existed. The man is quite old, but a friendly chap. smile.png

Fortunately, I went back the next day to his office since I was still in Dallas at the time and had him cancel the Non-O and put a new full-page stamp in my passport with the correct visa with "ED" clearly visible.

He made the same mistake with me, oddly enough. He did not know an ED existed. The man is quite old, but a friendly chap. smile.png

Fortunately, I went back the next day to his office since I was still in Dallas at the time and had him cancel the Non-O and put a new full-page stamp in my passport with the correct visa with "ED" clearly visible.

Yes, it is! He is a great guy. I'm meeting him on Monday to have it changed. He could not have been nicer through all of the back and forth about it.

• Like 1

Nice man, Forrest Smith. I thought his daughter took over his business. I must admit, I'm a bit surprised he hasn't yet retired.

I'd have to agree. Once in a simular situation and after his error, he requested that the visa would be better to get processed through the Washington, DC office. Otherwise, on a couple of other occasions where I needed different visa's everything worked out fine.

• Like 1

I have found a non o to be one of the most difficult and awkward visas to enter on in thailand. It may be because people aren't as used to dealing with it. If you just want to sit in your butt all day they are fine, when you want to go do something however, Thais have more difficulty with them in general. Of course all the people will come in and say it should not be that way, but that has been my experience.

Get this sorted before you come or will become a hassle further down the line

Not sure how you obtained a Non O visa (Retirement Marriage etc) but to obtain an extension you will have to submit all the required paperwork for that particular visa having all the paper work from the school will not get you an extension for a Non O

If you arrive in Thailand on a Non O and need to change to a Non Ed then you will need to leave the country and visit a consul in Lao etc as you cannot change visa types in country (except from a tourist visa to another type)

you son is on the correct visa as he will be staying with you providing you have a valid extension

Get this sorted before you come or will become a hassle further down the line

Not sure how you obtained a Non O visa (Retirement Marriage etc) but to obtain an extension you will have to submit all the required paperwork for that particular visa having all the paper work from the school will not get you an extension for a Non O

If you arrive in Thailand on a Non O and need to change to a Non Ed then you will need to leave the country and visit a consul in Lao etc as you cannot change visa types in country (except from a tourist visa to another type)

you son is on the correct visa as he will be staying with you providing you have a valid extension

You are wrong.

You do not need a non immigrant visa class that matches the type of extension you are getting.

You can look at this and you will find it only states non immigrant visa for extensions. Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay

You are wrong.

You do not need a non immigrant visa class that matches the type of extension you are getting.

You can look at this and you will find it only states non immigrant visa for extensions. Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay

Of course you're correct ubonjoe.

At the same time it's better to warn the OP that there are multiple reports of some immigration offices applying an imaginary "visa category must match extension ". In general, they also make things very difficult for anyone having ED visa or extensions.

So my opinion is that for the OP the best would be to obtain a non-imm'ED' visa to later obtain an extension for reason of study.

Thanks, Paz. I have an appointment with the Consul on Monday to get it changed to an ED.

So, just to be sure I don't end up with the wrong one again, what I need is a "90 Day Single Entry Non-Imm ED visa" right? I get ED extensions every 90 days at immigration for the remainder of the year. Then I come back to the states (or somewhere else outside of Thailand) at the end of the year and repeat the process.

And to enter for the first time in January, I bring the paperwork from my school, my shiny new visa and 20k baht. Is that it? Do I have it right this time?

I have found a non o to be one of the most difficult and awkward visas to enter on in thailand. It may be because people aren't as used to dealing with it. If you just want to sit in your butt all day they are fine, when you want to go do something however, Thais have more difficulty with them in general. Of course all the people will come in and say it should not be that way, but that has been my experience.

I am over age 60 - have a non imm multi entry O and have never had a blink of an eye to any extent for any OUT and IN.

But for anyone having a non O for other purposes and may be under age 50 -- maybe it is different.

The I/O's mostly just yawn when I go by -- except one who slammed the stamp -- as I was doing a 5 hour fly out and fly back in - Krabi to KL and return... she didn't seem to like that approach -- but never said a word - just SLAM of the stamp after a long study.

So, just to be sure I don't end up with the wrong one again, what I need is a "90 Day Single Entry Non-Imm ED visa" right? I get ED extensions every 90 days at immigration for the remainder of the year. Then I come back to the states (or somewhere else outside of Thailand) at the end of the year and repeat the process.

Actually the very best would be (if available) a multi entry non-imm ED visa. It would cost like $200.

The reason is that with it, after 90 days if you cannot or do not want to obtain an extension at immigration (that cost 1,900 Bt) you do a border hop and are allowed for 90 more day. And, if you want to travel abroad, you do not need a re-entry permit, and do not risk being interrogated by immigration.

• Like 1

The multi entry is available, however, because I'll have my son with me, I'd prefer not to do border runs. At most, we'd be leaving Thailand twice a year for trips back to the states, so the cost of the re-entry permits would be minimal.

As far as being interrogated, I will be one of the (possibly rare) people that is using the ED visa to actually go to school and learn the language. I won't be working - my husband lives and works outside of LOS to support us and I'll have the funds to prove it. So, it shouldn't be an issue. If it becomes one, I'll go for the Elite visa.

So, knowing all that, is the 90 Day Single Entry Non-Imm ED the way to go?

The multi entry is available, however, because I'll have my son with me, I'd prefer not to do border runs. At most, we'd be leaving Thailand twice a year for trips back to the states, so the cost of the re-entry permits would be minimal.

As far as being interrogated, I will be one of the (possibly rare) people that is using the ED visa to actually go to school and learn the language. I won't be working - my husband lives and works outside of LOS to support us and I'll have the funds to prove it. So, it shouldn't be an issue. If it becomes one, I'll go for the Elite visa.

So, knowing all that, is the 90 Day Single Entry Non-Imm ED the way to go?

Yes. But my recommendation still stands, I think at some point you will understand that multi-entry is really worth the extra money.

Thanks, Paz. I'll look at both. I'm trying to avoid the border runs because of some health issues with my son, but I'll look into the runs and see if it's something he can handle. You've been very helpful!

Borrder hops would not be an obligation, but a choice. With a multiple entry ED visa, you can do border hops, extensions at immigration, or a mix of these during one year.

• Like 1

One more question and then I'll leave you fine gentleman alone:

I know that I need to show at least 20k baht in cash when I arrive while entering on the ED visa. Do I need an additional 20k to show for my son on his Non-O? I can bring 40k, but I hate to fly around with that much cash if I don't have to.

Still, if the alternative is getting turned away and sent back from whence we came, I'll bring the cash. biggrin.png

I know that I need to show at least 20k baht in cash when I arrive while entering on the ED visa. Do I need an additional 20k to show for my son on his Non-O? I can bring 40k, but I hate to fly around with that much cash if I don't have to.

Immigration aside, remember that Baht for Baht, the best value for your USD is had bringin cash. I know that a lot of people is uncomfortable with that, but that's the way things are.

Immigration aside, remember that Baht for Baht, the best value for your USD is had bringin cash. I know that a lot of people is uncomfortable with that, but that's the way things are.

Do you mean bringing in USD and exchanging it for baht there or exchanging it in the states first? Or are you just saying in general, it's better to come with cash over, say, using debit and credit cards?

I've lived in the US world of debit cards for so long that carrying cash is nearly a foreign concept to me. I know that will have to change over there, but it will take a little getting used to.

I see. Yeah, we'll probably bring a lot more in cash than we normally would to pay the first and last month's rent on the condo we're renting. Maybe I'll bring a couple of months worth of living money as well. My husband will be traveling with me, so we can split it between us for traveling purposes.

Anyone know what the going exchange rate is in country? Or point me to a good link to use to find it? We usually get a decent rate through Amex, but I'm curious to see how it compares to the money changers in Pattaya.

I use the bank websites. Here is Bangkok Banks http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/FX_Rates.aspx

You might want to consider opening a bank account.

Bangkok Bank is good because you can transfer funds to your account via their New York branch as a domestic transfer which is much cheaper than doing SWIFT transfers.

• Like 2