Thai Cabinet approves milk price hikes

webfact

Cabinet approves milk price hikes

BANGKOK, 25 November 2014 (NNT) - The Cabinet has agreed to increase the buying price of cow’s milk from 18 baht to 19 baht and the median price of school milk by 0.21 baht/carton. The price increase of school milk will be effective in the second semester of 2014.

Deputy Government Spokesman Maj.Gen. Sansern Kaeokamnerd said the Cabinet on Tuesday approved the request for cow’s milk and school milk price increases made by the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives. The price hike for cow’s milk will be effective on the day the Ministry of Commerce allows commercial milk producers to increase dairy product prices in the market.

As for the price increase of school milk, pasteurized milk will be increased from 6.37 baht/carton to 6.58 baht/carton, UHT from 7.61 baht/carton to 7.82 baht/carton and powdered milk from 7.51 baht/bag to 7.72 baht/bag.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-26 footer_n.gif

Its even more expensive here than in the UK,so someone is making

a nice profit,I thought the Govt. was trying to keep prices of food down,

the price of Foremost milk at Makro seems to be different every week

i go,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Its even more expensive here than in the UK,so someone is making

a nice profit,I thought the Govt. was trying to keep prices of food down,

the price of Foremost milk at Makro seems to be different every week

i go,

regards Worgeordie

As with most over priced items here in Thailand, the middle men, i.e. the facilitators, the go between,

the village heads and other government meddlers are demanding, and getting their cut, hence the

silly price to the consumer...

I wouldn't mined to pay extra for real milk and not this whey water mixed with milk powder...

Edited by ezzra

Ask CP who made this proposal? They are heavly involved in dary farming as well as pig production, chicken/egg production they sell feeds to their contract farms, dictate the purchase price of both to the farmer and the produce price paid to farmer. Then to cap it off, add in the many retail outlets, wholesale buyers/middlemen etc in the daisy chain from producer, importer of questionable product from China, price paid to feed producers in Thailand and you have a modern day ''robber baron'' alive, well and prospering while the poor are held by the shot curlies.

Edited by slapout
  • Like 2

Milk is already more expensive in Thailand than Australia and they have less overheads to produce it. I guess the junta is trying to discourage Thais from drinking milk.

Milk in Australia is a miserable price and many dairy farmers have quit the business. The supermarkets and their monopolies are copping most of the blame.

There are no subsidies at all in Oz for farm products. How about in Thailand? Do the dairy farmers get any assistance?

Milk consumption here in Thailand is extremely low, and the average is 8 litres per year, and that probably takes into account us farangs, in our milk, cheese, yoghurt purchases.

I don't mind paying an extra baht or so a litre if it's going to help the dairy farmers.