PM Prayut asks public not to assume all police to be crooked

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May be general can set up anonymous line for people to report police corruption , then he might get the idea of how many and in what scale

One line?

Remember that scene in Bruce Almighty, where Jim Carey says he'll answer everyone's prayers on his computer?

Just one but with many operators :)

Knowing some police officers personally, I can say not all are corrupt. Many, yes. But not all. Some are very honest and are actually trying to do a good job. Problem is the management. Clean that up and perhaps the RTP can hold their head high again with pride.

In the Bangkok Post today, the general says this is his dream. A police force free of corruption. I've got a renewed respect for the man. Especially as he says this is the root of many of Thailand's problems.

No links to the Post, please.

wai2.gif

Just the fact that you have post about, you know a guy or two, who are (maybe) not corrupt, really says it all doesn't it??

As for the generals dream, have a look at the guy, he handpicked to Chief of National Police!!

They are all rotten, except from some of the secretaries and civilian staff. An honest police man would report his colleagues for crimes, corruption and failure to carry out duty. An honest policeman would have been frozen out or sacked fairly quick.

General, the Thai people knows the truth about the police. All must be reformed. They need to be retrained and sit for exams again, with those failing losing their jobs. Only honest and skilled personnel should be involved. Hire more women.

I know of some "honest Thai police", who raided a restaurant in Isan. They fabricated a story of a waitress selling sex (at a restaurant) and then asked the boss for 150,000 baht to make it go away. When the boss said no, these honest police arrested the boss, waitresses and the cashier. A court date has been set and these poor souls have to suffer because of this sham. It's unbelievable what these cops do to this country. They are the problem.

No one assumes "all Thai police to be crooked," they know it.

Yes, probably the only people who don't assume all Thai police are crooked are among the ranks of those who have spent less than a few weeks here..........................

Being corrupt is only part of the problem , the other main issue is being totally unskilled in all regards including knowing basic law, on top of that total unwillingness to do the job unless there is a big pay off and from recent experience 10000 baht is not sufficient amount to go do his job( arrest a thief )

Dear Leader PM Prayuth,

May I respectfully suggest that you actually DO something about the fact that the police ARE inherently corrupt?

Perhaps you could actually DO something about restructuring the entire police force, properly compensating them so corruption is not necessary, provide them with adequate training, ensure they have proper supervision and community oversight, and an effective internal affairs organization to keep it all legitimate. And most importantly, you could create a disciplinary process that terminates or incarcerates police who violate the code of conduct and engage in corruption, regardless of their seniority, or who they know, or who they are related to.

Respect is earned, Khun Prayuth.

Today, the RTP has exactly the level of respect that they have earned. That is to say, NONE.

It's as simple as this. Bribery and corruption have been a part of Thai culture forever as it has been with every developing nation in the world throughout history. It may not be liked by a lot, but it has been accepted by the vast majority of Thai citizens who have a fatalistic attitude that anything will ever be done about it.

On top of that, when the people in the highest positions ARE corrupt then that corruption is passed on to all the ranks below. There may be a few in the ranks that do not like it and do no want to participate, but the pressure from their peers and the top brass will keep their mouths shut so eventually they will either participate or become a single island of non-corruption unto themselves.

If the government keeps up what they are doing then things will hopefully start to change, but they can't stop at exposing this one nest of corruption, they must keep on relentlessly exposing these nests.

I was told by a Thai friend who has many government officials connections, that the first criteria of being a police is to accept bribes. If one is the odd one, he will be cast out. Eventually he will learn to be one of them.

Over centuries, corruption has become the back-cloth that holds together the rich and colourful tapestry that is Thailand. Destroy the backcloth overnight and the whole thing falls apart. Is there a sector of Government of Society here that’s entirely free from corruption? Probably not.

The problem is so endemic that solving it will take a generation, it’s not so much a case of weeding-it-out as breeding-it-out. But, if you’re serious about solving it then you’ve got to start somewhere. To start by taking-down a few Kingpins, especially those who were tasked with enforcing the very laws that they’ve apparently broken, is probably the most logical first step. The PM’s has certainly made some PR gaff’s since taking office, but stating that not all of the police force are corrupt certainly isn’t one of them. You can be the best centre forward in the world, but if your back-four and goal keeper refuse to support you then you’re not going to win many games.

• Like 1

Perhaps,along with condemning these few rotten apples he should look into the culture which not only condones but accepts corruption as an acceptable way of life. These errant senior police officers are simply the tip of the iceberg.

Rotten to the core..... Period!!!

And that in a democracy.,,
The RTP has been rotten to the core for more years than I could ever recall, through many democratic governments, through many coups and their off spring military governments.

So what's your point Irishsmile?

this coup seems to be different then

Knowing some police officers personally, I can say not all are corrupt. Many, yes. But not all. Some are very honest and are actually trying to do a good job. Problem is the management. Clean that up and perhaps the RTP can hold their head high again with pride.

In the Bangkok Post today, the general says this is his dream. A police force free of corruption. I've got a renewed respect for the man. Especially as he says this is the root of many of Thailand's problems.

wai2.gif

Just the fact that you have post about, you know a guy or two, who are (maybe) not corrupt, really says it all doesn't it??

As for the generals dream, have a look at the guy, he handpicked to Chief of National Police!!

The new chief of police was hand picked due to the good job he did during the riots a year ago. Probably a good way to choose a new top cop? Based on good performance???

They are all rotten, except from some of the secretaries and civilian staff. An honest police man would report his colleagues for crimes, corruption and failure to carry out duty. An honest policeman would have been frozen out or sacked fairly quick.

General, the Thai people knows the truth about the police. All must be reformed. They need to be retrained and sit for exams again, with those failing losing their jobs. Only honest and skilled personnel should be involved. Hire more women.

"An honest police man would report his colleagues for crimes, corruption and failure to carry out duty."

Isn't that exactly what has happened, hence this and other connected threads? There are many people in custody right now.

Even if they tried putting decent people in to authoritative positions, it would be like pouring new wine in old skins.

Any police person who wants to rise in the ranks has to pay his up the ladder. Silly notions like intelligence and skills and honesty take a back seat. If I scatter thorn bush seeds all around my garden, I doubt I'll get a fig tree to grow.

wai2.gif

The new chief of police was hand picked due to the good job he did during the riots a year ago. Probably a good way to choose a new top cop? Based on good performance???

I think he's referring to the police chiefs unusually high wealth for a man of his position....

• Like 2