Tourism Authority says 'I Hate Thailand' a big success

webfact

Tourism Authority says 'I Hate Thailand' a big success
By Coconuts Bangkok

iht.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand has acknowledged being behind the widely shared “I Hate Thailand” video recently released, describing it as part of an “unbranded” campaign.

The video, which tells of a foreign visitor who overcomes adversity with the help of Thai kindness, became an online hit for its saccharine story but has been widely reported and embraced as a factual account across the media spectrum.

“There’s been much hype and speculation following the release of the ‘I Hate Thailand’ video, which has been produced based on a research that an ‘unbranding’ advertisement would tend to receive more interest than a conventional branding commercial,” said TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik in a news release today.

The video was released by an anonymous YouTube account and bore no indication it was a government-funded production. Almost the moment it appeared, news outlets such as Manager, Matichon, Prachachat and Khaosod reported it as a real news item and urged people to share it.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/11/25/tourism-authority-says-i-hate-thailand-big-success

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-11-26

In case you missed it:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the only way it can truly be deemed a success if suddenly planes loads of tourists arrive at the airport having seen the video and decided to go an holiday in Thailand.

What this video did do however, was get plenty of people talking about it, I think it was watched almost a million times on YouTube and was talked about right accross social media and on internet forums, which is what you want when you market any product.

• Like 1

Yes as it shows how ALL authorities in Thailand do not hesitate to be duplicitous in their day to day activities.

I fail to see how conning the general international public helps the image of Thailand already damaged by murders and illegal medical care...it just dhows that TAT can be con-men too.

• Like 2

I guess the only way it can truly be deemed a success if suddenly planes loads of tourists arrive at the airport having seen the video and decided to go an holiday in Thailand.

What this video did do however, was get plenty of people talking about it, I think it was watched almost a million times on YouTube and was talked about right accross social media and on internet forums, which is what you want when you market any product.

Was it mainly Thais or Foreigners that watched the video? If it was mainly Thais then I don't see how this will help foreign tourist numbers

• Like 1

Was it mainly Thais or Foreigners that watched the video? If it was mainly Thais then I don't see how this will help foreign tourist numbers
Even if it was mainly foreigners watching it wont help. The truth is announced by TAT its a fake. The word will spread about this and people who believed it was real will be pissed they were duped.

It only created a stir with which will backfire upon TATs smiling face.

" But officer, I saw that TAT video where I could stay for two years on an overstay

and teach English. Why are you arresting me ?? "

Well said. Where is the follow up video? You know. The one of me standing in line at the embassy with tons of paperwork including proof of income and retirement, but being denied a retirement extension because I am under 50 regardless of the fact my only intension is to dump cash into the Thai economy.

Anonymous U-tube account, and bares no indication..........you mdme hold the world outside Thailand for fooles?

A few days after the brilliant release tourists from all over the world took their vacation, cancelled their wintersport and stood in line (with a bag of stones) to book tickets to visit Utopia.

The clip reminds me of the friendly smiles when Thai ladies were standing in line to "borrow" money from me.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well they nailed the first part perfectly. Farang solution to all problems: get angry, shout at people and throw things.

Thai solution to all problems.......answer please ! think before you post.