Thai Health Ministry imposes bubonic plague preventive measures at ports

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can the Bubonic Plague not be treated by anti-Biotics nowadays?

Is it me or does the young man in the photo on Post #1 have frost bite rather than the plague?

That's what I thought, but...

"Mortality associated with treated cases of bubonic plague is about 1–15%, compared to a mortality of 40–60% in untreated cases."

Mind you I have a swelling in the groin area most times I'm in Thailand so I doubt I'd notice if I had it.

alt=w00t.gif>

That's the start of elephantitis! If you don't want to walk around with your scroat in a wheelbarrow, better get that checked..! tongue.png

Either that or quit fiddling with it and stop with the blue pills for breakfast. giggle.gif

Edited by arrowsdawdle

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or does the young man in the photo on Post #1 have frost bite rather than the plague?

No he dosen't

"Acral necrosis of the nose, the lips, and the fingers and residual ecchymoses over both forearms in a patient recovering from bubonic plague"

What lie are TAT coming up with to cover up this plague?

Why should TAT have to say anything? There is purportedly one case in Madegascar. Nothing to do with Thailand at all and the announcement is just the usual sounding off about a subject. There will be absolutely no change in behavior.

My nephew arrived back to Phuket last week from Nigeria and spent four hours getting through immigration, despite Nigeria being Ebola free and with no source cases. 48 hours later two guys arrived at his house and asked if he was feeling ok, and took his blood pressure and temperature.

All fine and good, but other than arriving from the same continent as Ebola countries, he didn't pose any risk and so it was misdirected effort. But form beats substance every time and form is what we see with this plague announcement.

No he dosen't

"Acral necrosis of the nose, the lips, and the fingers and residual ecchymoses over both forearms in a patient recovering from bubonic plague"

Acral necrosis of the nose, the lips, and the fingers and residual ecchymoses over both forearms in a patient recovering from bubonic plague that disseminated to the blood and the lungs. At one time, the patient's entire body was ecchymotic. Reprinted from Textbook of Military Medicine.

The Black Death was one of the most devastating pandemics in human history, resulting in the deaths of an estimated 75 to 200 million people and peaking in Europe in the years 1346–53–

It looks like nature has its own recipe to get rid of people in overpopulated areas ignoring all hygienic standards.

Hence, LOS as a hub of these standards is safe.whistling.gif

You say "Nature" but some of the most recent outbreak could have more sinister origins. Some of the reports about HIV and Ebola raise a lot suspicion, they come from the same place in Africa. Its certainly fair to say that certain fractions are looking at ways to deduce populations. Its worrying to imagine what they'll come up with.

Whats frightening about it in Thailand is the personal health standards. Not just cooking but the way people cough or sneeze in public without covering their faces, I've noticed this a lot in Bangkok and have been sprayed a few times in shopping malls. They look around as if surprised and I've never seen anyone sneeze into a handkerchief. If they ever got an airborne virus like SARS here it would spread like wildfire.

Another concern is when communal eating putting their spoon from their mouths directly into shared food dishes, rarely using a serving spoon.

On the whole Thailand is one of the cleanest places in the region and the people are very clean when it comes to personal hygiene and washing regularly. However some observed behaviour spreads germs and there is room for improvement.

Edited by Pui
  • Like 2

I think Ibuprofen will help...... What is wrong with this country ? Are they orbiting in the space with no contact with other aliens ( read rest of the world )

Ibuprofen for the pain, amoxicillin for the infection, if that was combined with Tiger Balm as a topical treatment, you'd be sorted!

Edited by Pui

Partington is correct the rats (and mice) carry it (and die from it eventually) and the fleas spread it to humans. Plague is similar to Ebola because it is (as shown in the photos) a haemorrhagic fever - you eventually die with blood trickling out of all your orifices (not a pretty sight I'm sure). During the Black Death - when folks didn't have a clue about the disease some Cities were free of the disease and applied the tennets of the Bible to anyone coming from a City or area afflicted by the Plague (obviously being punished by God because they were all sinners). So if you wanted to enter the City you had to accept 3 things 1) destroy your all your possessions (often by burning them) 2) Chuck your clothes on the fire and put on a simple garment provided by the community you were entering - made of sack cloth (the itching and scratching of the rough fabric against your skin was meant to be part of the penance for your sins and 3) last of all put ash on your head. Part of the sack cloth and ash treatment for sinners. But in the process of burning your traveling trunk and baskets it ensured that no infected rodent entered - the fleas living in your doublet (a kinky garment with a flat that dropped to allow easy access to your genitals) also got toasted in the fire and the ash generally killed any fleas already resident in your hair. You entered the pious and much loved by God City with a garment provided by them which even if it did have fleas and lice were not infected.

Well all that ensured the City didn't get the plague and re-enforced the belief of the residents of the City that trusting in the words of the Bible and practicing what it preached was definitely the way to go.

• Like 1

Rats apparently were not the spreaders of this, several documentaries on You Tube

Y. pestis has been isolated and repeatedly confirmed as the causative agent of bubonic plague. The linked video (from the prestigious medical institute "D News", whatever that is) is promoting a pneumonic plague hypothesis based on the findings of 25 (how's that for a sample size?) skeletons that are - get this - "believed to be plague victims". I bet you're convinced right? I mean who wouldn't be with that kind of hard evidence?

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 1

I recently read that bubonic plague was NOT caused by rats, tho there were a few million around at the time. It was spread through unhygienic living, cramped rooms.

I must do a Google search and see what current data says, but I know they've done DNA tests and so on.

I recently read that bubonic plague was NOT caused by rats, tho there were a few million around at the time. It was spread through unhygienic living, cramped rooms.

I must do a Google search and see what current data says, but I know they've done DNA tests and so on.

My quick search all said that fleas were the problem, yet the Youtube clip based on research of skeletons recently unearthed in London shows the disease is the same as that of Madagascar, last year and this year, and they believe it was not rats.

So do you get it form fleas ?

No, in a first step fleas infect rodents, dogs and cats who give it to humans. Better leave your fur coat at home this winter.

This is completely wrong. Rats carry the disease. Fleas bite the rats and swallow plague-infected blood. The same flea then bites humans and passes the infectious agents to humans through this bite, just like mosquitoes with malaria.

It is directly fleas that infect humans, NOT the host animals!

Thank you for providing this information. Will you indulge me by answering a question? I have no fears of contracting this, but hypothetically what risk is there to someone living in a modern city who has no pets or any contact with animals? I give dogs a wide berth and occasionally see a rat at the market but don't have any contact. Do the fleas fly? If so, how close would I have to be to an infected animal?

I know I can Google, but your explanations are very good and really easy to understand.

Bubonic plague is primarily a disease of rodents. The fleas, (Xenopsylla spp), prefer their blood. If the rodents are destroyed, the fleas which can survive weeks without blood, will search for other hosts, including man. Kill the fleas first.

All the way back to 1300.. But i belive Thailand can do this. They are not afraid of desperate Measures. And that is what is needed if this should hit Thailand. The Thai people work good together when they need to. But it would be wery bad if it hits Thailand. If you think of all the people living there. And yeas. Some restaurants should be closed. Many places there no soap or washing available. And that is not good. They should use more money on infrastructur. Like plumming and such. It will help alot. And give the people instructions on washing. And sett lovs about it to. This will prevent alot of the spread. If it comes. It almost wiped out Norway when it hit. It is a nasty virus or bakterie or what they call it. It is nasty. And i realy hope that the Thai people are spared from this. I wonder how it started.?? It should be extinct...I know they where digging up black death in Svalbard some years ago. I wonder..

Looks like we are going back in time to the Middle Ages,

don't know how Thailand plans to handle rat infested

ships,a lot better than the suspected Ebola carrier that

they let wander around Bangkok,I hope.

Regards Worgeordie

I'm growing skeptical of these so called "oh my" apparitions. It wasn't long ago, we were all ducking and covering from Ebola, then the big WOW, was Thailand discovers cure for Ebola, yet to be revealed, now it's the Black Plague. Is this a strategy to divert our thinking or just sensationalism? I have my doubts. Best we don't forget medicine resistant Malaria, HIV, Leprosy, are still in the shadows in Thailand. The worse kind of information is disinformation. Keep clean, brothers and sisters.

I have heard from a ghost I just saw that Thailand has a cure for the black death / plague and will announce shortly, No need to wash your hands after a visit to the toilet as everything ok,as long as you don't touch someones feet.

"The Ministry of Public Health has ordered officials in provinces with international ports to sterilize all ships anchoring in Thai ports and get rid of rats on board. Residents in maritime areas have also been urged to keep their houses clean and to stick to the correct methods of waste disposal."

Urging common Thai villagers to keep their house clean and stick to correct methods of waste disposal? Hilarious!!! cheesy.gif

The Black Death was one of the most devastating pandemics in human history, resulting in the deaths of an estimated 75 to 200 million people and peaking in Europe in the years 1346–53–

It looks like nature has its own recipe to get rid of people in overpopulated areas ignoring all hygienic standards.

Hence, LOS as a hub of these standards is safe.whistling.gif

You say "Nature" but some of the most recent outbreak could have more sinister origins. Some of the reports about HIV and Ebola raise a lot suspicion, they come from the same place in Africa. Its certainly fair to say that certain fractions are looking at ways to deduce populations. Its worrying to imagine what they'll come up with.

Whats frightening about it in Thailand is the personal health standards. Not just cooking but the way people cough or sneeze in public without covering their faces, I've noticed this a lot in Bangkok and have been sprayed a few times in shopping malls. They look around as if surprised and I've never seen anyone sneeze into a handkerchief. If they ever got an airborne virus like SARS here it would spread like wildfire.

Another concern is when communal eating putting their spoon from their mouths directly into shared food dishes, rarely using a serving spoon.

On the whole Thailand is one of the cleanest places in the region and the people are very clean when it comes to personal hygiene and washing regularly. However some observed behaviour spreads germs and there is room for improvement.

Have you been to a hawker stall in a small Soi or a wet market lately?