What VISA and how to get it ?

Well it is finally happened. After working here for a long time today I got made redundant effective tomorrow. The issue is I have a Thai wife, Thai school age children but not a lot of money in the bank. I am over 50 so I would like some serious and urgent advice as to what visa I should get to enable me to stay with my family and the best way to go about it.

I am currently living in Pattaya I work in Chonburi but could also live in Udon Thani if it makes any differance

Mods please move this if I have posted in the wrong forum

1. 12 Month Extension based on Retirement.

800,000 Baht in the bank. OR 65,000 monthly income. OR a combination of both.

2. 12 Month Extension based on Marriage.

400,000 Baht in the bank or 40,000 monthly income.

3. Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa from Savanakhet Laos.

This would give you almost 15 months but means leaving the country every 90 days.

You can get a 60 day extension at Immigration which would give you a bit more time to sort things out.

• Like 1

This would give you almost 15 months but means leaving the country every 90 days.

You can get a 60 day extension at Immigration which would give you a bit more time to sort things out.

So what do I need to do . Are the forms available on line or where can I get them from please ? Also for extension based on marriage can it be a combination of income and money in the bank ?

Currently I have a non imm B visa with extension based on work. Will that be cancelled and I have to apply for a new VISA outside of Thailand or can I get an extension to that visa category based on marriage ?

Forms are available. Someone will let you know soon hopefully.

TM7 is what you need.

Marriage is Income OR bank balance. Not a combination.

A Rough Guide.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.
OR.
If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.
If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.
Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)
Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)
Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.
Your Passport.
Copies of everything.
Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.
A map showing the way to your house.
Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.
Take your Wife to be interviewed.
One or two witnesses may be required.
You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.
Go back in a month and get the remainder.

So what do I need to do . Are the forms available on line or where can I get them from please ? Also for extension based on marriage can it be a combination of income and money in the bank ?

Currently I have a non imm B visa with extension based on work. Will that be cancelled and I have to apply for a new VISA outside of Thailand or can I get an extension to that visa category based on marriage ?

"Also for extension based on marriage can it be a combination of income and money in the bank ?"

For marriage it's one or the other, no combination. For retirement you can combine the two.

You can apply for a sixty day extension to visit your wife, which will give you a little more time to sort things out.

Edited by Suradit69

It makes no difference which one you get first. The application requirements will be the same.

The extension based on marriage is just a bit more paperwork and then going back after 30 days to get the extension stamp.

The big advantage of the extension based upon marriage is that you can get a work permit and work with it.

• Like 2

Yesterday, at the immigration, there was a foreigner who just got married and was applying for a marriage visa. The officer told him to apply for non 'O' instead. Did not want to give him marriage visa (no reasons given).

He wanted to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage (it is not a visa). You must have a non immigrant visa entry to apply for an extension. That is why he was told he needed to get a non-o visa.

• Like 1

Yesterday, at the immigration, there was a foreigner who just got married and was applying for a marriage visa. The officer told him to apply for non 'O' instead. Did not want to give him marriage visa (no reasons given).

I think there are many reasons to get an O visa including marriage.

He wanted to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage (it is not a visa). You must have a non immigrant visa entry to apply for an extension. That is why he was told he needed to get a non-o visa.
Not sure to understand: how couldn't he get marriage extension if he had already a non immigrant 'O' ?

Not sure to understand: how couldn't he get marriage extension if he had already a non immigrant 'O' ?

I see no where in your post that said he already had a non-o visa.

The only reason i can think of him being told to get a non-o was because he did no have one. Other than he did not meet the financial requirements for the extension.

• Like 1

If he is here on something other than a non-imm O (such as a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry) he would need either to convert to a non-imm O entry in Bangkok or he would need to get a non-imm O at an embassy or consulate.

What was the basis for the non-imm O you think he has? Sometimes people get confused about their current status re: latest entry and/or current permission to stay. Since you refer to him as "a foreigner" maybe you don't have all his information or what he told you was incorrect.

If the officer told him to get a non-imm O it would seem he is here on some other basis.

Edited by Suradit69

Slow down fellows.

The OP says he has little money in the bank and is losing his job tomorrow.

Can anyone suggest some useful information for his consideration?

Whether or not someone else got a non O based on whatever isn't much help to this chap.

Slow down fellows.

The OP says he has little money in the bank and is losing his job tomorrow.

Can anyone suggest some useful information for his consideration?

Whether or not someone else got a non O based on whatever isn't much help to this chap.

I thought post 3 was nice and clear with all his option laid out.

• Like 1

The extension based on marriage also allows you to get a work permit should you find more work - the retirement extension does not.

ps I see ubonjoe has already mentioned this but it is an advantage often forgotten when comparing extensions marriage vs retirement.

Edited by Jaggg88