Rosewood: Asia's most valuable wood

A little-know Thai exotic wood that is as valuable ... if not more so ... that Rose Wood is Maca Wood aka Makkha (Afzelia xylocarpa). Price has doubled in Thailand in past ten years.

It is a very beautiful wood and I was fortunate to have bought a beach villa in Bang Saray that has Maca Wood flooring, stair cases, ceilings, railings, etc.

Anyone know where to buy Maca Wood seedlings?

I'm somewhat familiar with 'maca' or, as I spell it; 'maka.'

I built a t&g kitchen counter with it, 15 yrs ago in C.Rai. Very handsome reddish-brown (similar to rosewood). Also hard and long-lasting.

Thais (and anyone else) should be encouraged to plant all sorts of special lumber trees, instead of just teak. I like teak (did you know it is a member of the MINT family?), but there are other special trees. It's the Thai mentality: once they get an idea that one thing is good to do (plant teak trees, for example), it precludes ideas of any other related things. Examples: north on the super hwy, there dozens of road-side vendors selling nothing but pineapple - none have any other fruits.

p.s. if anyone wants rosewood tree seeds, let me know, and I'll mail some for the cost of postage. I have access to hundreds.

Edited by boomerangutang

we have 2 slabs of wood in the shed about 5m long and 1m wide, wife says it is illegal to have but has been their for around 10 years or more, not sure what to do with it might make a kitchen bench or a seat in the lounge.

• 3 weeks later...

we have 2 slabs of wood in the shed about 5m long and 1m wide, wife says it is illegal to have but has been their for around 10 years or more, not sure what to do with it might make a kitchen bench or a seat in the lounge.

my next door neighbor (a Thai policeman) has a slab of rosewood lying by his unfinished house. My hill tribe helper showed it to me and claimed it's rosewood. It's 7' x 3' x 6 inches thick and would take 4 strong men to pick it up.

I spoke with a lovely lass at the local lumber yard. She said there are 3 types of wood which are illegal to buy/sell or cut in Thailand: teak, maka and rosewood. Even so, after doing some study, it appears there are at least two (possibly more) trees which could be called rosewood, depending on who you talk to. Dalbergia (rosewood's Latin name) can have course brown bark or it can have smooth silvery bark, depending on who's pointing it out. There's another tree with yellowish smooth bark which could be called rosewood by those who look at the wood itself (but it's not).

Also: I've seen rosewood which has blond sapwood, and another tree (also called rosewood) which has no visible sapwood. It's all reddish. My assumption is the the all-red wood is actual rosewood. All the trees I mentioned have red sap, so that thickens the confusion. However, another indication of rosewood are the seeds: they're tan colored when dry (green when fresh) the size of a flattened garbanzo bean with a paper-like frill all the way around, for fluttering thru the air. altogether, the diameter of a squash ball. Flowers are yellow in bunches. It's a legume and fixes nitrogen.

my next door neighbor (a Thai policeman) has a slab of rosewood lying by his unfinished house. My hill tribe helper showed it to me and claimed it's rosewood. It's 7' x 3' x 6 inches thick and would take 4 strong men to pick it up.

I spoke with a lovely lass at the local lumber yard. She said there are 3 types of wood which are illegal to buy/sell or cut in Thailand: teak, maka and rosewood. Even so, after doing some study, it appears there are at least two (possibly more) trees which could be called rosewood, depending on who you talk to. Dalbergia (rosewood's Latin name) can have course brown bark or it can have smooth silvery bark, depending on who's pointing it out. There's another tree with yellowish smooth bark which could be called rosewood by those who look at the wood itself (but it's not).

Also: I've seen rosewood which has blond sapwood, and another tree (also called rosewood) which has no visible sapwood. It's all reddish. My assumption is the the all-red wood is actual rosewood. All the trees I mentioned have red sap, so that thickens the confusion. However, another indication of rosewood are the seeds: they're tan colored when dry (green when fresh) the size of a flattened garbanzo bean with a paper-like frill all the way around, for fluttering thru the air. altogether, the diameter of a squash ball. Flowers are yellow in bunches. It's a legume and fixes nitrogen.

Mate I spoke to my wife and she confirmed it is rosewood, our slabs are only around 30MMS thick, we also have a thai style bench that she says is rosewood was given to her mum by her brother many years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Mate I spoke to my wife and she confirmed it is rosewood, our slabs are only around 30MMS thick, we also have a thai style bench that she says is rosewood was given to her mum by her brother many years ago.
sounds like that slab would make a fine table.

update: I've planted 15 more rosewood (on two parcels) and 7 maka. I won't be around to harvest them (in 50 years?), but some other folks will be. Probably the son of my ex-g.f. She's hill tribe and my 6 rai property is in her name. I'd rather have my land revert to someone needy, than someone who's already rolling in the dough. When her mom and dad died, both from AIDS (they were opium junkies), all she got at that time were a dozen chickens. Right away, her step father commandeered the chickens, which left her with nothing. She became a 'flower girl' selling roses on the sidewalk. That's when I met her.

• 1 month later...

I have a few seeds in the mean time (thanks again) and was wondering what's the best way and time of year to get them to grow? None of the seeds I've planted (in early to mid December) are growing.