Bill Gates interested in funding factory in Thailand for HIV vaccine

webfact

Gates interested in funding factory for HIV vaccine
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- American business magnate and philanthropist Bill Gates reportedly is interested in supporting Thailand to build a factory for the manufacture of a vaccine to combat the human immunodeficiency virus, which would be the first of its kind. Further discussions on this issue will be held in mid-December.

The report came after a Thai representative team, led by the chief executive officer of the Thailand Centre of Excellence for Life Sciences (TCELS), Dr Nares Damrongchai, and Disease Control Department director-general Dr Sophon Mekthon, as well as representatives from the US Military HIV Research Programme (MHRP), made a trip last week to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. They discussed the possibility of getting support from the foundation. Nares said the discussions went well and further talks would be held next month.

"If Thailand receives funding from the foundation to develop the HIV vaccine and to eventually build the vaccine factory, Thailand will become the country with the world's first HIV vaccine factory," Nares said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Gates-interested-in-funding-factory-for-HIV-vaccin-30248739.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-28

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If Thailand receives funding from the foundation to develop the HIV vaccine and to eventually build the vaccine factory, Thailand will become the country with the world's first HIV vaccine factory," Nares said.

I thought they're heading to become the world's leading educational hub?

Eating in a restaurant when a famous person is present doesn't equate to having a meal with them ?

I doubt they met up with Bill Gates in person, fair play if he parts with some cash and the project gets the green light, maybe they can get the Thai scientific team who developed the Ebola cure to "assist " them?

We've had the Ebola Vaccine breakthrough a few weeks ago (but they may need to have a serious word with GSK who have nicked their idea!) and now a HIV vaccine (I'm assume that there is one as they want to build a factory for its production), next week cancer.

• Like 1

Why would one want to fund research in a country so corrupt?

Another opportunity to steal monies away from its intended purpose....

Mr Gates needs to do a business analysis....

What does Thailand offer than HIV cases, human trafficking, labor abuse and many research sub-groups?

On second thought...

CB

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The article is, at best, confusing. There is currently no effective vaccine against HIV, so there would be absolutely no point in building a factory to produce something that doesn't exist yet. Does the article actually mean that the Gates foundation will fund research into an HIV vaccine in Thailand? If so, that would be a curious decision given Thailand's poor scientific research record.

Yeah there is a vaccine . I don't know how effective , but a few scientists from Thailand are leaders in R n D

Edited by chainarong

I think the story is all mixed up. Thailand, being the hub of copies, was enquiring with the foundation if in fact they are funding HIV serum production as there are interested parties in Thailand who would like to be involved (read copy) with the production of the serum.

The trouble I see with a small amount of self important Thais is that they believe their own hype much like many Arabs.

In my 10 years working in the Middle East I've yet to meet a 100% honest and humble Arab, most would lie through their teeth than lose face, or admit they were wrong.

The trouble here is that you start believing in your own lies and bullshit you better be prepared to see it through for the rest of your life ( the lies that is) as you will eventually get caught out.

• Like 1

Yeah there is a vaccine . I don't know how effective , but a few scientists from Thailand are leaders in R n D

There is no effective vaccine at the moment. Period. Trials have been conducted (and are going on), but none of them has produced a good result.

And whilst Thailand has a research program, it's not world class. If you search Google Scholar for "HIV" there's not a single Thai author that I could identify in the first 100 results. (I didn't search beyond that.)

• Like 2

Eating in a restaurant when a famous person is present doesn't equate to having a meal with them ?

I doubt they met up with Bill Gates in person, fair play if he parts with some cash and the project gets the green light, maybe they can get the Thai scientific team who developed the Ebola cure to "assist " them?

"I doubt they met up with Bill Gates in person,"

Nobody claimed that they did.

>>made a trip last week to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. They discussed the possibility of getting support from the foundation.<< Quote

Or in other words, they went begging!!

I don't think they were the the first beggars who ever knocked on Bill and Melinda's door.

We've had the Ebola Vaccine breakthrough a few weeks ago (but they may need to have a serious word with GSK who have nicked their idea!) and now a HIV vaccine (I'm assume that there is one as they want to build a factory for its production), next week cancer.

"...now a HIV vaccine (I'm assume that there is one as they want to build a factory for its production)"

You assume too much and read too little.

• Like 1

Bill Gates, in all good intentions, will freak out when he notices how many people here are using his product liscenses and are not paying for it.

Including most schools and government offices.

...and ThaiVisa posters

Edited by Sviss Geez
  • Like 1

"...now a HIV vaccine (I'm assume that there is one as they want to build a factory for its production)"

You assume too much and read too little.

Sounds like the perfect qualifications for a job in the government.

"I doubt they met up with Bill Gates in person,"

Nobody claimed that they did.

So how do they come about the headline then?

It should read Bill Gates foundation interested the way the headline is done it's as if the man himself has spoken and if you can show me a link where Bill Gates himself expressed an interest in developing anything in Thailand to do with HIV Id be most interested, otherwise it's another misleading headline ?