Monitor lizard - it almost got me!

simon43

Yep, I saw one in my front yard not too long ago. They really can move very quickly and are very large! They are "protected" in Thailand from what I have read. I have also heard from the locals that they taste "good."

I was sitting in my pickup in the carpark to the side of the DBD in town a couple of months back when a stonking great monitor lizard calmly strolled from the back of the building off into the thicket behind with all the self assurance of something that is just daring you to try and mess with its day.

I don't know exactly how big crocosaurus' nephew was as I was far too busy freaking out to get a picture or anything but it certainly wasn't something I expected to see in the normally sleepy environs of the DBD! shock1.gif

I haven't seen my neighbour Yellowhead the monitor lizard, nor it's baby for quite some time now. Nice lizards, which slowly learn not to be afraid too much. Sometimes taking naps high up on the tree branches.

I was quite surprised when I first time saw the lizards climb with speed to the trees.

We have a couple of families totalling about 9 in the bush plot next door here in Kamala.

It is quite a sight to see them swimming across the lake in single file when it floods.

They often climb the 3 metre klong wall and sunbake on the patio.

Poppa would be at least 2 metres from snout to tail tip.

The girls call them crocodiles as apparently the Thai word is a deep insult.

Edited by Evilbaz

I've heard that if you don't get out of their way, they will run up you, mistaking you for a tree, and jump off the top of your head (if you don't fall down first).

Yup, part of Aussie folk law to keep the tourists on their toes! The Aussie aborigines eat these guys - they're supposed to be quite tasty.

post-111567-0-44391500-1417339534_thumb.

• Like 1

Had a BIG mother of a lizard walk across the golf green last year. I was about 150 yards out and as I made the shot the caddies start jumping and yelling about the lizard, put me right off the shot and it went short and right. The lizard appeared to be about 1.2 metres long and was casually ambling across the green from one water hole to the next with no cares in the world.

It was huge. It was so big I thought it was a crock initially as there had recently been floods and some crocks had escaped.

And yes, the caddies made reference to the apparent tastiness of the wee beastie.

I've heard that if you don't get out of their way, they will run up you, mistaking you for a tree, and jump off the top of your head (if you don't fall down first).

Yup, part of Aussie folk law to keep the tourists on their toes! The Aussie aborigines eat these guys - they're supposed to be quite tasty.

No mention of the dangers of being nipped and having their saliva enter a wound which eventually will knock you down.

Silly tip maybe.

However if one of these creatures decides to pursue you and they can move at a fair clip in a straight line too all you need to do is turn sharp left or right.They cannot make quick left or right turns the same actions apply to both crocs and gators.

• Like 2

Biggest 1 I ever saw was down in Prachup Kirikhan. My friend and I were going fishing on the jette across the bay from Amanou. We were walking in the water along the shore as it's smoother. He grabbed my arm pointing (he's Thai) and pulling me up short. I saw what looked like a stingray tail coming from under a 4meter high boulder. It suddenly vanished and up on top popped a monster. Must have been 3 meters long with a crab in it's mouth. It lept from the boulder to the hill behind it and crashed off through the trees like a rough elephant. We could see bushes and smaller trees moving for nearly 200 meters til it crested the hill.

No mention of the dangers of being nipped and having their saliva enter a wound which eventually will knock you down.

I'd not heard of that one, but their cousins on Komodo Island in Indonesia certainly pack a fatal bite.

haha, that's classic!

Turtle 1: OK, now's our chance! Go for it!

Turtle 2: But we can't leave Rocky behind!

Turtle 3: He's toast man, we've got to save ourselves. Swim I tell ya!

Rocky: *squeak* come back you %{^-$#* cowards!

cheesy.gif Post of the day imho

Edited by Gforcejunkypkt
  • Like 1

@ Umbanda....Your post #11 is of a member of the iguana family however being of Southeast

Asian local they aren't as large as their Central & South American counterparts. They like to

live in thick brush such as a fence of tea plants or any thick brush for that matter. Maybe

aroi mak-mak but not much meat...aka...survival food.

@ Strangebrew....Komodos...evil lizards....not only is their saliva teaming with lethal bacteria,

they're also venomous as discovered only a few years ago. And they stalk their prey. What

is their prey? Anything they can successfully bite, retreat and let the venom & bacteria do

the dirty work...which usually only takes around 36 hours...or less. If on Komodo Island

(Indo NTT) and you get bitten by being stupid...it may take 3 days to get to hospital.

@ masuk...ditto to the above for strangebrew!

@ Oilinki...please be careful around the wildlife...OK?!...Please.

For all others interested...we have a 2+ meter water monitor who happily resides around our

home in Ranong...plus 6 dogs & a heap of many different varieties of snakes; from the

harmless to the deadly. The dogs are smart enough to leave the lizard & snakes alone while

I have a tendency to feed Walter/Wallette (we're not that close) every few weeks some eggs.

It's fairly used to me feeding it & likes its chin & neck "scratched" or stroked. When it's done

with the visit it ambles off to the bush. I have posted a pic or two of it on our roof in the

Nature thread of the Photography forum here on TVF...not the best pix...have a look if your

interested.

Just remember folks...wild animals are just that...wild & unpredictable...so don't do stupid

shit with them OK...you may regret it.

One last item that needed an edit...water monitors when angered will hiss in a mid to deep

sounding vocalisation that may have a bit of warble to it. If you approach one & this happens

retreat. Just retreat. You will be glad you did & so will your family & insurance company.

NB...edit to add the above last bit.

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

There used to be a swamp / mangroves forest on Koh Samui were you could guaranteed see monitor lizards and i drove my jeep very often around there....just to see the wildlife.....Of course the place has been bulldozed and made place for some nice villas.....

But I was lucky to see monitors in all sizes and shapes in the good days.....

• Like 2

they all look rather small on the pics you posted here

once i was playing ping pong with a friend and tought i saw a crockodile, but its was "only" a giant monitor lizard

now that was scary, as it was near the pool area of the sports club

Monitor lizards are quite ignorant of human beings, as they don't perceive us as threats, and can be quite docile (youtube up 'big boy monitor lizard' to see to what extent). But as with all wild life; should one feel threatened in any way. and/or feel cornered(no place to Flash Gordon it) the most likely reaction will be to lash out an attack. They have poor eyesight, as most reptiles do, so the more sudden movement they smell/taste around the edges of their "sight", the more agitated they get, thus slowly backing out of their path is quite a wise thing to do. I'd love to get one as a pet - always been a sucker for them lizards whistling.gif

• Like 1