where can i get stainless steel 316L?

jikwan

wasnt sure where to post this

i need a small quantity of this high grade steel without

having to buy a whole sheet. small quantity of mesh or thin plate

i can get to bkk if i have to (im near rachaburi w thailand)

building a small HHO gas generator to put hydrogen gas into drinking water

best you will buy here is...304...I have found it impossible to get 316 anywhere here...But someone may know different.

let me know if you find some please....

Thanks

304, 316, 316L , duplex, super duplex all available, your not going to get it at your local hardware, need to go to steel suppliers, samut prakan, Maptuphut areas

Other suggestions go look in the scrap yards, as long as the stainless is kept separate from the carbon steel, stuff is as good as new

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

best you will buy here is...304...I have found it impossible to get 316 anywhere here...But someone may know different.

Thanks

hang on a while- should get a few good sources here

thing about scrapyards.....might not be certain that what they offer

is 316l. they might say it is

Thanks

304, 316, 316L , duplex, super duplex all available, your not going to get it at your local hardware, need to go to steel suppliers, samut prakan, Maptuphut areas

Other suggestions go look in the scrap yards, as long as the stainless is kept separate from the carbon steel, stuff is as good as new

steel suppliers it might have to be. they must have off cuts for sure

Thanks

There is a common perception that 316 is "better/higher quality" than 304 and 316L is "better" than 316 etc, the key to what stainless you need is all relevant to the application, both 304 and 316 are very good "quality" austentic stainless steels and if your not using 304 in high chloride service/environments, 304 may be perfectly adequate for your application

• Like 1

Thanks

There is a common perception that 316 is "better/higher quality" than 304 and 316L is "better" than 316 etc, the key to what stainless you need is all relevant to the application, both 304 and 316 are very good "quality" austentic stainless steels and if your not using 304 in high chloride service/environments, 304 may be perfectly adequate for your application

i reckon youre right. some subtle differences

in the hydrogen generator community they insist on 316 for their devices

304.....i could give it a bash

Defo available. Food production companies like Sun Valley in Saraburi use wads of it. I'd hang around the scrapyards.

the scrapman may hand me a piece and say this is 316

how can i know if its real, they could give any old stainless

any way of measuring it?

Defo available. Food production companies like Sun Valley in Saraburi use wads of it. I'd hang around the scrapyards.

the scrapman may hand me a piece and say this is 316

how can i know if its real, they could give any old stainless

any way of measuring it?

To be honest the scap men will know exactly what everthing is in detail as it will affect the price and they may even have paper work, can 304 be differentiated easily from say 316 in the absence of no paper work ? No......

a PMI and / or wet chemical analysis would need to be done, PMI instruments are available in Thailand but unless its a reasonable quantity that needs to be assessed on site, rental of kit/man would be quite expensive, or you could take a sample to one of metallurgical labs for analysis, but again analysis on a single sample for small quantity will be expensive

The only real" layperson " test you can do is test it with a magnet if magnetic it isnt an austenitic stainless ie 304 or 316, as both grades are not attracted to a magnet, but it could be a whole host of other ferritic or martinistic stainless steels and then you would need PMI or lab test to tell what it is if its not marked

Edited by Soutpeel

thats some useful info, S. im slightly concerned about

the quality because of using the device to improve

water quality. the hydrogen gas i ll get could have metalic

impurities mixed with it if the metal is bad. for this job

i really need titanium sheet/mesh. id imagine it would

be ruinously expensive even it could be bought in thailand

i got a neo magnet and ready for a trip to scrapyard

i love them places. so much good stuff for next to nothing

Sadly not so cheap around this area though. Maybe Soutie can bring you some from offshore...cheesy.gif

I suspect what your looking for is what is colloquially termed food grade stainless a little tricker to find, based on what you have written I would suggest a 316L (lower carbon content) I am assuming high temperatures are not involved therefore you should really shouldn't have a problem with leaching from the alloy

think finding Ti sheet/mesh will be difficult and expensive

Surprised you didn't try a Google search. One shop is walking distance from the central train station and the Golden Buhdda Trample. 5 listed in Bangkok all easy to get to.

https://www.google.co.th/?gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=YPV6VJC5IsG3uQTxjoKQAg#q=stainless+steel+suppliers+bangkok

thanks, man

i might just do that. got things to get in chinatown too

the suppliers would definitely give the right type

im not streetwise as i used to be. have been living in rural

middle of nowhere places for years

how you guys do it dont occur to me. i lost it a bit

If you give me the size, I can ask a few supplier. We produce special seals, but from time to time we buy some metal and know a few companies.

304 should be surely available.

im off to bkk to visit some serious suppliers. they will have everything, thanks

If you give me the size, I can ask a few supplier. We produce special seals, but from time to time we buy some metal and know a few companies.

im off to bkk to visit some serious suppliers. they will have everything, thanks

Could you kindly send me an update what you found? For a now postponed project on turned stainless steal I couldn't find some grades. On Aluminum I found only 6061 and 7075 (hope the numbers are right, just from my memory) but not a special grade I wanted for easier CNC turning. If you find some reasonable shop I would be very interested as well.

Could you kindly send me an update what you found? For a now postponed project on turned stainless steal I couldn't find some grades. On Aluminum I found only 6061 and 7075 (hope the numbers are right, just from my memory) but not a special grade I wanted for easier CNC turning. If you find some reasonable shop I would be very interested as well.

ok. might be in about a week if i can get some transport

youre turning on a lathe? round bars/offcuts/grade/size/price per bar?

if its not too big-like an offcut i could get it for you

im 70km past rachaburi near burmese border

probably take the surat thani bound train when returning

@jikwan, @h90

I work at a multinational steel pipes and components stockist/distributor in Thailand. (we're one of the biggest players worldwide)

I can get you 316/L plates or any other grade you desire. From an entire sheet to only a small cutting. You name it.

Grades more exotic than 316/L will need to be imported though, simply as there's no availability in Thailand. (At least not of reliable quality).

If you know exactly what you want (size, quantity, grade), please send me a PM and I can assist you with an offer.

Edited by quinzinho

As far as differentiating between 304 & 316:

Most sheet nowadays is marked with continuous "inkjet" type labeling showing the manufacturer, the material grade, and the heat number.

You can also buy inexpensive grade specific reagents that will change color to indicate grade.

How much and how thick?

@jikwan, @h90

I work at a multinational steel pipes and components stockist/distributor in Thailand. (we're one of the biggest players worldwide)

I can get you 316/L plates or any other grade you desire. From an entire sheet to only a small cutting. You name it.

Grades more exotic than 316/L will need to be imported though, simply as there's no availability in Thailand. (At least not of reliable quality).

If you know exactly what you want (size, quantity, grade), please send me a PM and I can assist you with an offer.

I think all stainless is imported.

• Like 1

@jikwan, @h90

Yes.. but obviously that's not what I meant. Some stainless materials are stocked in Thailand, some are not and will always need to be imported.

Edited by quinzinho
  • Like 1

@jikwan, @h90

Nope at least 3 or 4 mills that I know of that produce stainless in Thailand

Some of the more exotics are imported ie your duplex and super duplexes for example

As far as differentiating between 304 & 316:

Most sheet nowadays is marked with continuous "inkjet" type labeling showing the manufacturer, the material grade, and the heat number.

You can also buy inexpensive grade specific reagents that will change color to indicate grade.

How much and how thick?

The colour reagents are not a reliable or definitive way of identifying the grades, without subjecting a sample to a proper lab test, the only portable way which is accepted by industry is a PMI (positive material identification) which is a portable instrument which can identity the constituent elements and percentages in the alloy and based on the percentages primarily of nickel, chrome and a few others can determine the grade based on ASTM classifications of the various alloys.

• Like 1

souty,,

you sure yhour not a welding inspector,,,lol

good stuff mate,,

as for the OP, if your near samut prakarn, find a company called ,shape solids handling and process engineering,

there on google,

i was operations manager there, pop in there they make convayers ect for the food industy, they would sell you a bit of 316L

ask for mike the managing director

• Like 1