Extension of Stay Based on Marriage....my Bubble is About to Burst.

just to mention (ok not realy relevent) but uk embassy need to see the last 3 months bank statements before issueing the necessary proof of income, but best of luck, you seem a decent chap.

They did mine with one month (and a P60)

You should check with some of the visa companies.

They can help you, for a fee (20,000 to 30,000 Bt).

Why? As post #2 says and its only 5,000 baht and legal. whistling.gif

I would argue that the Savannaket Non O visas (issued without proof of funds/income) is barely more legal than the 'dodgy' Pattaya visas.

• Like 1

You mentioned the possibility of eventually having to return to your home country to find work "stacking shelves"... Have you thought about teaching general/conversational English here? I know a lot of TV members laugh at this, but if I had to choose between staying in Thailand with my family (and close to my land) or going back home to stack shelves, I know what I'd choose...

If you do decide to try this, focus on getting work at the private language schools. The hourly rate, while not great, generally tends to be better than the rate at government schools AND the classes have A LOT LESS students and are therefore easier to manage (and more enjoyable, I find).

What you could do is get a Multiple Entry Non-O Visa in Savannakhet Laos (based on that your Married to a Thai National).

No need to show funds to get this, but you need to do a Border Run every 90 days instead of going to your local immigration, this will give you an extra 15 months wink.png

do I need to take my wife with me to do Non-O visa in laos ,,, thank you so much for info,,,,

I don't see your problem. If your visa runs out return to Australia before its expiry and when you are ready to return get your non-immigrant O visa at the Thai Embassy in Brisbane and come back to Thailand with a 1 yr multiple entry visa that costs AUD225. Assuming you are legally married to your partner. If not then that can be arranged with a visit to her local amphur office.

Hi RSquared,

Like you, I'm Australian & reside here on a marriage extension.

No need to show any money in the bank...I just visit the Aussie embassy in Bangkok each year, fill in a statutory declaration that I have the minimum funds each month(40k, but check that) to support myself & family, the embassy stamp it, and that's all that's needed for another extension!

Luckily aussies & a few other nations enjoy that ability to use self declared income, so as we say, no worries mate!

Hi Barkly, good advice, do you still do your 90 day reporting? and an income of 40k per month is all that is required? yes?

thanks mate for any info as i am currently on a retirement extension and want to change to marriage.

Upon return I have been diagnosed with a form of cancer - treatable- fairly sure if I was in Thailand it would take a fair chunck of my cash for treatment. Don't want to come across as interfering, but unless you have already done so make sure you have a backup plan if s@#t happens.

Sage advice. I am in the same position as yourself. Bolts from the blue can and do strike people. I know a fair few folks whose backup plan is 'Hope it doesn't happen to you,' even though father time is catching up with them...

So even if the OP sold the land would Immigration accept the money from the sale obviously land not in the OP's name.

How would immigration even know where the money came from. There is no requirement for it come from abroad or even proof of where it came from.

So even if the OP sold the land would Immigration accept the money from the sale obviously land not in the OP's name.

The money (the 400k) would need to be in his name for 2 months before he can apply for the extension of stay. Immigration IMHO doesn't look where the money comes from they only look how long it is in there and if it is above the min. required.

You really need to face reality. I don't know how much your land is worth but if you don't have savings how are you going to survive in Thailand?

Considering your circumstances I believe a better proposition would be to take your wife to Australia and work there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi RSquared,

Like you, I'm Australian & reside here on a marriage extension.

No need to show any money in the bank...I just visit the Aussie embassy in Bangkok each year, fill in a statutory declaration that I have the minimum funds each month(40k, but check that) to support myself & family, the embassy stamp it, and that's all that's needed for another extension!

Luckily aussies & a few other nations enjoy that ability to use self declared income, so as we say, no worries mate!

Hi Barkly, good advice, do you still do your 90 day reporting? and an income of 40k per month is all that is required? yes?

thanks mate for any info as i am currently on a retirement extension and want to change to marriage.

Hi Jewell, Yes, I do the 90 day reports, & once a year show the papers for a one year renewal, including the stat dec stamped at the consulate.

As I travel a bit I also buy a multiple re-entry visa which lets me come & go as I please during any year.

Sorry you have fallen into this situation.

I understand that their are companies that will, for a fee, deposit enough money in your account for you to qualify for your extension.

I have never done this and don't know how legal it is.

In your situation, it may be worth looking into.