Farang Basic Cooking For Single Men In Condo's

Zendesigner

Hi decided To start this After i saw some people desperatly looking for cocktail sauce.

Write your Basic recipes for Farang food here for those lonely farang men wanting to cook at home.

COCKTAIL SAUCE

Recipe for cocktail saus

I'm sure anybody can make this....

A pot of mayonaisse.

A bottle of ketchup

some whisky left over from last night.

mixe some spoons of the mayonaisse with some ketchup in a bowl. whisk until corect coulour pink, taste to determin if you need more ketchup.

Drizzle in some whisky.

taste, voila cocktail sauce,

For Thousand island drop in some small cut onions and spring onions.

MAYONAISSE

Want to make your own mayonaise?

2 egg yellows in a bowl

1 teaspoon medium strong mustard

whisk to mix them.

Drizzle Sunflower oil in while whisking , not to quick or it will separate. After a while you get mayonaisse to right thickness.

Depending on what type of mayo you are used to and from which country you come

Add little Vinegar (belgium france)

Add sugar ( Holland)

Add cream ( USA)

some pepper and salt to taste.

Voila mayo.

Maybe i should start a Farang "Basic cooking at the condo Manual "?

B

Ps if your mayo did seperate pour a little cold water in one corner and start whisking from there slowly again.

Zen's cocktail sauce sounds good when you are caught flat footed and need something now. But if you have time to do a bit of shopping, you might try the one below.

Cooks Illustrated Cocktail Sauce

Makes 1 cup, serving 4

Use horseradish from a fresh bottle and mild chili powder for the best flavor.

1 cup ketchup

2 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon ancho or other mild chili powder

Pinch cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon juice from 1 small lemon

Stir all ingredients together in small bowl; adjust seasonings as necessary.

The only thing you might have problem finding is horseradish sauce? Dunno, never looked for it. CI is a very popular cooking magazine in the states.

Jeepz

scrambled eggs with toast pretending to be CA style eggs and tortillas...

2 eggs

splash of milk

margerine

fresh ground pepper

any decent packaged loaf bread

Tabasco (accept no substitutes)

For one serving

In a mixing bowl scramble the eggs with the milk. Meanwhile in a large (not wok!) skillet/frying pan melt tablespoon margerine and start on 4 slices toast in toaster.

Skillet is now ready so add the egg and milk mixture, add 2-3 twists of pepper and maintain close vigilance...immediately turn the eggs after bubbling begins and continue. The toast comes out of the toaster...slather with margerine immediately (watch the eggs...don't let them burn...deposit on plate when light and fluffy). Assemble eggs and 4 margarine toast on plate and dose eggs liberally with Tabasco. Pretend that toast is tortillas...fold around the eggs with fingers...don't use knife and spoon...

Good with vintage tomato juice and vodka and will keep you solid for at least 4 hours on a bad day...

preparation and cooking time < 5 minutes

Easy chili.

One onion – chopped.

One tin of baked beans.

Some mince or alternatively some chopped sausage.

Pack chili seasoning.

Fry the mince or sausage then add the onion. Add the baked beans and stir in about half of the chili seasoning. Let it warm through. Serve with rice or crusty bread and butter.

If you like you can add some chopped chilies or chili powder.

Kkab khum khrab Candyflip,

I used to be a cook some time ago so. Some people get bored eating out all day, restaurant can't produce a well cooked home meal even if they try.I try to keep it simple in the beginning though.

CROQUE MONSIEUR, TOSTI, BAKED HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICH.

For 1 sandwich you need

2 slices of bread

1 slice of coocked ham

1 slice of cheese ( like prefabricated cheddar, or a soft cheese like dutch edam)

Butter

A large flat frying pan.

make a sandwich out of the bread, ham and cheese , don't cut it.

Heat up pan put a large stick of butter in there. put in sandwich fry one one side, add some butter again , turn sandwich over, fry that side till golden brown , turn down heat and let sit on small heat untill cheese has melted.

Serve.

The french call this Croque Monsieur , the Dutch Tosti, The rest of the world ??? :-)

Variations

Crouque Madame = Fry an egg in a different pan sunny side up and serve on top.

Crouque Hawai= Add a pineapple slice between the ham and cheese

Crouque Tomato= Add tomato between the ham and cheese

Crouque Bolognese= Add italian meat sauce from spaghetti on top

Croque ZEN= (my favourite) Add Strawberry marmalade and a yoke of an egg inbetween the sandwich. ( first put 1 slice in pan , put yoke of egg on there, put the rest on top)

Enjoy your lunch

B

I would love to have a man cook for me :o

Easy Pasta Salad:

1 box spiral pasta (cooked)

1 tomato (sliced or chopped)

1 onion (sliced or chopped)

1 green pepper (sliced or chopped)

1-2 bottles of zesty italian dressing

salt (your preference)

In a large bowl, mix pasta, tomatoes, onions, green pepper, dressing (as much as u want) and salt (to your satisfaction)

There u have pasta salad, very easy. Just mixing and tasting til its right for u. :D

Hmm...that Croque Monsieur is known in the US of A as a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. You can reduce the fat a little by buttering the bread lightly on the sides you intend to grill and not using butter in the pan, or just a spray. (Is there Pam in LOS?).

Unbaked Tuna casserole:

In a large saucepan boil about 1 cup of egg noodles until done. Drain off all the water. Add I can of Cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup peas, and 1 6 or 7 oz can of tuna, drained. Mix well and heat until bubbly and hot through. Adding a little pepper helps a lot, rosemary helps even more. You can use frozen peas or a whole 8 oz can (small can), the amount of peas doesn't really matter.

Hi cathy,

Thanks for your recipe.

Do you mean they have butter in the USA in a Spray can ??

Brr shiver's running down my European spine... :o

But indeed if you butter the bread it's not so fat. I like i with real butter but if you see me you know why :D

So we had some breakfasts let's move on to lunch

SPAGHETTI CARBONARA

Italian wheat spaghetti (no noodles) or thin spaghetti (also so called cappelini)

2 slices of cooked ham per person (small ones)

Cream or Double cream (expensive in thailand i know)

Grated cheese (parmesan, emmental up to you)

some butter

1 egg yoke

First cook the spaghetti in some salted water. Preferably "all dente" (not to soft)

stir the spaghetti after half a minute so it doesn't stick together.

See if it's ready by taking out one string, cut it in two , when you see a little white dot in the center it's needs to cook more, or you just can taste it of course.

When cooked drain and let it rest for a while.

While it's cooking you can cut the Ham in little pieces of about 1cm square.

Heat up the pan and bake the ham in some butter untill golden.

Trow in the pan the portion of spaghetti you need

( for 4 people you need a really big pan)

Shake or stir it around so that the ham and butter are spread .

Immediatley add the cream, stir / shake * again , Add some of the cheese, salt pepper not to much though.

Now let the Cream reduce by cooking untill you get a reasonably thick sauce while stirring. Take off the fire , taste , season if neccesary, serve on plate.

Center the egg yoke in the middle on top of the spaghetti.**

sprinkel with some cheese or parsley

Cooking time maximum 15 minutes, after experience 8 minutes

* You can Shake or fold the spaghetti over with a flipping motion of your hand coming from the wrist, that way you don't need to stir and risk cutting the strings in half.

** If you don't like the traditional italian raw egg yoke on top (chicken flu ect..) just leave it out

Serve immediatly with some parmesan and french bread.

B

Have a nice lunch

Hi sandy,

Zen: it isnt butter. It's like cooking oil in a spray can, but much healthier than butter and oil. Great for stir fries and a grilled cheese sandwich!!!
Thanks for the info, but as a cook trained long time ago in French cuisine it still send shivers down my spine when i hear it..... Progress i suppose.
zen...what can you say about substituting plain yogurt for cream for most applications? Yogurt is healthier and more widely available in the hinterlands. Yeah, I know that yogurt is not ideal but with heat the difference with cream diminishes

Hi tutsi,

Yogurt is indeed healtier but you'll see that you can only use it in cold dishes. It's actually a great substitute for mayonaisse.

Yougurt will shift / curdle if you try to reduce it in a pan especially with fat in it like oil or butter. Only if you can keep your sauce on medium heat you'll be able to pull it off.

I really like the Greek "TZATZIKI" Which is basically yogurt with a lot of garlic in it

It depends on your eating habits of course.

My recipes will mostly come from gastronomical tradition of France, Belgium

(i'm Belgian, and the Belgian kitchen is a deduction from the French gastronomical restaurants, It is same quality food but not so expensive as a 5 star restaurant in france)

but it is based on the good ingredients like cream, cheese, butter instead of the really healthy ones , i agree. I also like to stick to the original recepy as made in the home country. you can adjust as you wish, cooking is an art not mathematics!

You'll never find 2grams of this or 3 spoons of that in my recepy's anyway. A real cook work with his fingers and his taste, not his scales (only for determining cost mostly)

For baking you can substitute butter also with olive oil if you like the taste of it.

Everybody is invited to put up some easy recepy's from their own country's so we can have a Fusion food forum thread :o

B

If somebody has some questions how to make something , like some sauce they have been meaning to try, please ask. If i know i'll tell you, else i'll look for you.

zen...you belgian? My query regarding yogurt has to do with the sauce for roast pork loin with dijon mustard as advised by belgian neighbors in Jakarta (you can get pork products at certain Heros supermarkets in town 'daging babi'). Here I used yogurt with the drippings when it came out of the oven and it was OK. I would have preferred cream of course, but...you know...

Thanks for the info...

hi tustsi,

If you keep the amount of youghurt small just to coulour the sauce you can also work it in.

Like said i would only use it as a cold sauce supplement like the greeks do.

There is no really a substitute for cream qua taste, ease of use and texture.

Unfortunatly due to the cost all the "Cream sauces" advertised in menu's here are mixed products like half milk + some binding agent. Real cream sauce for a steak is uncomparable. It's not something for somebody on a diet, or who can't eat fat for health reasons of course.

You can find cream in most supermarkets in thailand, they have about three brands, For a small packet it's around 70 bath which should give you enough for 2a3 persons. Tastewise it's better to give less sauce but from real reduced cream then to try ti give more but add other stuff to it. It's also the easyest sauce you can make. After you bake the meat in a pan, take the meat out, heat up the pan alone for a few seconds, add the cream so it can deglaze (deglassez) *the pan , let it reduce , season litlle bit maybe , presto sauce. takes 1 minute to make.

I'll do a French sauce special later but most of them will have addition of cream somewhere :-)

B

For a simple mustard sauce , just heat up your oven pan or your frying pan very hot but not burning the left overs. Deglaze *the pan immediatly by dropping a small amount of water in to it. You'll see the water coocking all the juices of the pann.

Add a litlle bit of mustard, stirr, maybe some sugar (to counteract the stingy taste of the mustard.) Bind with a small amount of Corn flower dissolved in water (very small) , stirr, taste, season if neccesary and serve on top of meat.

You can use any type of mustard.

*To Deglaze to cook of the juices stuck to the bottom of a hot frying pan by sprinkling some water over it. To much water will ruin it. Not enough will immediatly stick the juices back to the pan and you'll have to reheat it.

zen...beware, you may be revealing too many professional secrets. It is wonderful that you share them with us but I would be loathe to find that you were hacked to death by little men with moustaches and red faces in a chef's bib and tall hats wielding large cleavers...

While good beef is hard to come by, if you do run across a bit of reasonable stewing beef and some Guinness, here's a recipe that's pretty straightforward and very tasty.

Courtesy of the CI board:

COUSIN NUALA’S BEEF & GUINNESS STEW

Yield: 6-8 servings

• 2 lb lean stewing beef

• 3 tablespoons oil

• 2 tablespoons flour

• salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne

• 2 large onions, coarsely chopped

• 1 large clove garlic, crushed (optional)

• 2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water

• 1 1/4 cups Guinness

• 2 cups carrots, cut into chunks

• sprig of thyme

Method:

Trim the meat of any fat or gristle, cut into cubes of 2 inches (5cm) and toss them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon oil. Season the flour with salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch or two of cayenne. Toss the meat in the mixture. Heat the remaining oil in a wide frying pan over a high heat. Brown the meat on all sides. Add the onions, crushed garlic and tomato puree to the pan, cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes. Transfer the contents of the pan to a casserole, and pour some of the Guinness into the frying pan. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the caramelized meat juices on the pan. Pour onto the meat with the remaining Guinness; add the carrots and the thyme. Stir, taste, and add a little more salt if necessary. Cover with the lid of the casserole and simmer very gently until the meat is tender - 2 to 3 hours. The stew may be cooked on top of the stove or in a low oven at 300 degrees F. Taste and correct the seasoning. Scatter with lots of chopped parsley.

Recipe by KTG39, thanks for sharing!

Jeepz

zen...beware, you may be revealing too many professional secrets. It is wonderful that you share them with us but I would be loathe to find that you were hacked to death by little men with moustaches and red faces in a chef's bib and tall hats wielding large cleavers

HAHAHAHA, best i ever heard :o:D rotfl. I'll probably be chopped up for some other comments on this forum then this thread :D

Maybe by a seperatist movement to preserve thai food culture "the anti burger gang"

Thanks tutsi, made my day.

Don't worry most things are textbook stuff from hospitality shool. Real chefs won't be bothered by this. The rest of the farang restaurants might pick up on something though.

These are basic recepy's , i wont take the single farang :D in to the realm of preparing Basic sauces and Fonds for which you need an oven and 8 hours work, so you can make a very nice french sauce. They'll have to come to france or Belgium for that.

OK My old teacher used to tell me " your meal stands or falls with the sauce provided" so here are basic sauces from french cuisine, mostly you can divide them in to groups. We'll start with the cold ones.

COLD SAUCES

I already explained mayonaisse and coktail sauce, so include them with this list.

Basic Vinigraitte...

Dijon mustard or other strong mustard

Some garden herbs, like parsley, chervel, dragon, garlic or pipe onions

Oil (sunflower, nut oil) dont use palm oil it's to heavy

Vinegar (wine vinegar, clear vinegar)

sugar

Wisk half part oil with half part vinegar and teaspoon mustard together thourougly

Add the finely chopped herbs per choice

add litlle sugar and pepper

Volia basic salad dressing.

You can change the taste by using other types of vinegar (balsamico, rosemary, framboise, lemon juice)

or change oil (olive oil)

Best used after some cooling in the fridge, stirr again before applying on salad

Mayo Vinigraitte...

Mayonaisse

garden herbs

Vinegar

sugar

water

Put a big spoon of mayo in a bowl together with the herbs. Stirr while adding little water so it becomes a creamy consistency. add vinegar and a lot of sugar to get a sweet and sour taste.

Best used after some cooling in the fridge, stirr again before applying on salad

Yogurt curry dressing...

Fresh non sugared yoghurt

Your garden herbs

Some yellow curry powder mild

pineapple juice (fresh shouldn't be a problem in thailand)

Mix yoghurt , herbs

add curry till mixture slightly yellow

add pineapple juice till yoghurt runny

Season with pepper and salt , maybe add curry depending on your taste.

Serve cold

Tzatziki...

Fresh non sugared yoghurt

a lot of garlic

garlic press or large nife and board.

put youghurt in bowl

peal garlic

Press garlic cloves over yoghurt in to bowl

if you have no press , cut the garlic in reasonable slices, put some salt on your board to give resistance, put the garlic on top and press with the flat side of your nife on top of the garlic so it is crushed using a sliding movement. you'll see that is becomes mashed but stays on the board because of the salt.

Mix everything, let sit in fridge for a day to absorbe garlic taste..

Ok enough cold sauces. There a lot more in the Store :D but basically their all variants of mayo, ketchup, vinigraitte, yoghurt combinations.

Experiment yourself

B

On demand from Mr vietnam and Tutsi,

Basic french Stocks to be used as a base for sauces and soups.

This is not really beginners stuff for single men! but if you tired of all the oxo cubes hanging around , you can trade them for the original idea.

Maybe you can experiment and start a restaurant here :D

This is not really ready to use gravy, it is a Beef/veal stock (brown coulour) which is used as a basis for other sauces. It's really the foundations of french cuisine, they also call them Fonds which means basis or foundation.

Mainly you got 4 different types: Fond Brun (brown stock) Fond Blanc ( white clear stock) Fond de volaille (chicken stock) and Fumet de poisson (fish stock).

There are some other stronger ones extrapolated from these to make tomato sauces ect...

If you use these to deglaze your pan after cooking the meat you'll add a lot of flavour and you've got instant gravy.

You'll need at least a large cooking pot , a large pan or preferably an oven with a baking tray. and a Gas cooker , electric is not strong enough.

Cooking time at least 6 hours!!

Fond de veau Brun, Brown Beef stock

Utensils needed

a large cooking pot (min 3 - 4 liters)

preferably an oven with a baking tray, or a large pan.

a Gas cooker

a metal (plastic) colender (??) or sif

a soup ladel

if you make 2 liters it's best to freeze it when finished, other wise divide everything in half if you don't have a freezer.

Ingredients for app 2 liters

1 kg of Bones from beef , preferably the bottom leg, other bones will do, not to much fat on them, some meat on them ok. (ka kwai)

250 grams of uncooked bacon ( moo sam chan)

1 leek (chinese spring onion)

2 onions

1 celery stick with leaves

2 pealed carrots

75 grams of tomato paste

2 garlic cloves

3 tomatos

1 bouquet garni (thym, baileaf and 1 clove in a stringed bundle) (or the equivalent of powder herbs in a teabag)

3 liters of water minimum (for the ones using drinking water)

Chop up the bones in pieces of 5 to 10 cm's (depending on size cooking pot) or have it done at the market or butchers.

Preparation.

Turn up you oven to 200 degree celcius (400 farhenheit)

Put all of your bones on the baking tray without grease and put them in the oven first. let cook for 45 minutes, the bones will color and some grease will come out.

In the mean time wash and cut your vegetables in to 1cm cubes (mirepoix)

take out the pits of the tomato's and cut them also.

Cut the bacon in to chunks of 2 cm's

Take out the bacon tray and spoon of acces fat

add the vegatables, tomato paste to the bones.

Stirr the paste around somewhat so the bones get covered.

Place back in the oven for 5 minutes to color the bones.

Take out the tray again and transferr everything in to your large cooking pot.

Put the tray on a fire to heat it further and Deglaze with some water to cook the juices of. Add the juices to your cooking pot.

You can stop the oven now.

Cover all of the bones with cold water and put on a small gas fire.

Trow in the bouquet garni (they are bound togheter so the herbs don't float in the stock , because you can't get them out if you pass them through a sif later, if you only have powder herbs you can put them in a piece of cloth or teabag so they stay toghether, if you don't have something leave it out.)

The stock needs to cook on a very small fire so you can see some small bubbles rising. Cook for 5 to 6 hours.

Spoon of exess fat and foam with the ladel once in a while.

If the water is reduced a lot fill up with cold water again untill covered. keep checking on it every 30 minutes so it doesn't run dry.

After 5 to 6 hours you have to pass everything through a colender or sif to remove the vegatables, so put the colender in another pot or clean plastic bucket.

(Not in the sink please) :o

Ladel your stock in to the colender so that all the vegatbles and bones are removed.

The stock you finish up with can be used as a base for soups, you can also reduce (cook) it further to strenghten the flavour.

Let it cool, store in fridge (it can get sour) or freeze in small portions for later.

Congratulations , you're on your way to become a master chef :D

Zen

I would have to agree with Jeepz, your coctail suace has to have at least the horseradish. Yours sounds more like a Thousand Island dressing instead ( NO dig intended), but I've never been to France.

Kringle,

It was the basis for the thousand island dressing as it is now know in the usa. It originated in france as did the word cocktail.

COCKTAIL

There are many stories as to the origin of this word. It's use goes back to at least 1806. It may be derived from the French 'coquetier.' meaning egg cup. In New Orleans around 1793, Antoine Amedee Pechaud (inventor of Peychaud bitters) served a mixture of Cognac and his own bitters to customers in his apothecary shop. He served them in egg cups, and the Americans would prounounce 'coquetier' as 'cocktail.'

Possibly Cocktail sauce was named like that because it contains cognac or whisky (when you don't have cognac) in the sauce.

Zen

OK i couldn't fall asleep so here are the other versions

Fond de veau Blanc, Clear (white) Beef stock

Utensils needed

a Gas cooker

a soup ladel

if you make 2 liters it's best to freeze it when finished, other wise divide everything in half if you don't have a freezer.

1 kg of Bones from beef , preferably the bottom leg, other bones will do, not to much fat on them, some meat on them ok. (ka kwai)

1 leek (chinese spring onion)

2 onions

1 celery stick with leaves

2 pealed carrots

2 garlic cloves

1 bouquet garni (thym, baileaf and 1 clove in a stringed bundle) (or the equivalent of powder herbs in a teabag)

Chop up the bones in pieces of 5 to 10 cm's (depending on size cooking pot) or have it done at the market or butchers.

Preparation.

Put all of your bones in the cooking pot, fill with cold water and bring to the boil.

We need to Blanch them (blancher) which mean from the moment the water reaches boiling point , take it off the fire , pour out the hot water and freschen the bones by cooling them down with cold running water.

In the mean time wash and cut your vegetables in to large chunks

add the vegatables to the bones.

Cover all of the bones with cold water again and put on a small gas fire.

Trow in the bouquet garni (they are bound togheter so the herbs don't float in the stock , because you can't get them out if you pass them through a sif later, if you only have powder herbs you can put them in a piece of cloth or teabag so they stay toghether, if you don't have something leave it out.)

The stock needs to cook on a very small fire so you can see some small bubbles rising. Cook for 5 to 6 hours.

If the water is reduced a lot fill up with cold water again untill covered. keep checking on it every 30 minutes so it doesn't run dry.

After 5 to 6 hours you have to pass everything through a colender or sif to remove the vegatables, so put the colender in another pot or clean plastic bucket.

(Not in the sink please)

Ladel your stock in to the colender so that all the vegatbles and bones are removed.

The stock you finish up with can be used as a base for soups, you can also reduce (cook) it further to strenghten the flavour.

Let it cool, store in fridge (it can get sour) or freeze in small portions for later.

Fond de vollaille, Clear chicken stock

Utensils needed

a Gas cooker

a soup ladel

1 kg chicken carcasses or 1 whole chicken uncooked. No intestins

1 spring onion

2 onions

1 leek

2 pealed carrots

1 glas of white wine

Some dries peppercorns and coriander

Preparation.

Put all of your carcasses in the cooking pot

Let them sweat on the heat without grease for 5 minutes whilest turning

fill with cold water until everything covered and bring to the boil.

In the mean time wash and cut your vegetables in to large chunks

add the vegatables to the bones. add the glas of white wine

put on a small gas fire.

sprinkle in the pepper and coriander

The stock needs to cook on a very small fire so you can see some small bubbles rising. Cook for 2 to 3 hours.

After 3 hours you have to pass everything through a colender or sif to remove the vegatables, so put the colender in another pot or clean plastic bucket.

(Not in the sink please)

If you used a whole chicken don't sweat it first , you can also use the meat for chicken soup later.

Fumet de poisson, Clear Fish stock

Utensils needed

a Gas cooker

a soup ladel

500 gram of fish grates and heads. No intestins

1 spring onion

2 onions

2 pealed carrots

some butter

2 glasses of white wine

2 liters of water minimum (for the ones using drinking water)

Preparation.

Let your fish grates soak in water for a few hours to remove bad smells.

Put all of your grates in the cooking pot

Let them sweat on the heat with the butter for 5 minutes whilest turning.

Deglaze with the white wine

In the mean time wash and cut your vegetables in to small blocks 1cm

add the vegetables to the bones. fill with cold water until everything covered and bring to the boil.

put on a small gas fire.Trow in the bouquet garni

The stock needs to cook on a very small fire so you can see some small bubbles rising. Cook for 2 to 3 hours.

After 3 hours you have to pass everything through a colender or sif to remove the vegatables, so put the colender in another pot or clean plastic bucket.

(Not in the sink please)

I cook pasta at home in Bangkok. Find it the easiest thing and the quickest. My kitchen is not air con so have to be quick otherwise end up in a pool of sweat.

The other thing thats easy is those packs you buy at 'tops' to make stuff like gaeng jued .....very simple and delicious. You can buy bags of dried ingredients like those chinese mushrooms you wee loads of at the river marktes in Mae Sai and Nong Khai. Easy to keep for long periods and easy to whack into whatever you are cooking up. !

If you have a rice cooker yo ucan make really nice fresh cooked rice at home to eat with fresh vegies and some nam prik. If yo uexplore the nam prik world you will discover a world of delights. Fantastic with fresh vegies and steaming rice and a friend fish. Boy I am hungry now......see yaa............

Hi guys ,

Thanks to Candiflip for nominating my thread in the Best tread thaivisa Award :o

see here

Of you have your basic stocks for your cooking now. Time to get back to the sauces.

Before you can make them however i have to teach you about binding agents.

They are not running loose bangkok cops but ingredients that bind your sauce so it is not runny.

You have things like

Flower

Cornflower

Starch :D !!! don't use this, just a joke

Butter

gelatine

ect... and many more used in different kitchens around the world.

First we concentrate on flower (for make bread and pancakes, not real flowers)

To bind most French sauces we use a ROUX.

you have white Roux (roux blanc) and colored Roux (roux brun)

You use the white version for white or clear sauces.

You use the brown version for darker sauces like gravy or tomato.

very easy you only need this.

A small cooking pot

Butter

Flower.

White Roux

equal amounts of butter and flower are needed so let's say

50 grams butter

50 grams flower

melt the butter in the pan on a low fire.

When melted pour in the flower straight away while mixing up the contents

You should get a kinda paste in your pan which is reasonably dry

if it's to runny add flower

if flower is left over not incorporated add a very tiny piece of butter.

Let it dry out on a low fire for 3 to 4 minutes while stirring

Put in a small cup and let it cool, you can keep it in the fridge for some days if you have made to much.

Brown Roux

equal amounts of butter and flower are needed so let's say

50 grams butter

50 grams flower

melt the butter in the pan on a low fire.

let it heat up until it turns a golden brown color,

carefull don't burn the butter, no smoke should be coming of it.

pour in the flower while mixing up the contents

You should get a kinda paste in your pan which is reasonably dry

if it's to runny add flower

if flower is left over not incorporated add a very tiny piece of butter.

Let it dry out on a low fire for 3 to 4 minutes while stirring.

This has a brown color and will not decolor your dark sauces so much.

Put in a small cup and let it cool, you can keep it in the fridge for some days if you have made to much.

Basic use

To bind sauces with it sprinkle it in whilest stirring crumbling it with your hand.

The butter wil dissolve equally and the flower wil bind your sauce.

Keep stirring otherwise you'll get lumps. cook your sauce for an extra 5 minutes to get rid of the flowery taste.

Tommorow we start with your first Hot sauce based on roux and milk. Bechamel.

zen

geeeez Zen, just make it easier for me by sending me a recipe book. LOL so i dont have to read every recipe u posted LOL

The books just doesn't feel the same as me sandy :D.

Ok Here is your fist Hot sauce (even without cream) and it's deductions on the basis.

Not to easy, not to hard to make.

I'll start using difficulty ranking from 1 to 5 , 1= easy 3=average difficulty 5=hard.

The Fonds By the Way are ranking as 2. you'll of course get better with practice at them. If something fails don't worry, try again next time.

Sauce Bechamel, or Milk Sauce

Difficulty 2-3

Ingredients for 2 persons:

1 deep pan

Milk 1/2 liter + some extra maybe

White Roux (see before) 150 grams.

salt, pepper, nutmeg powder

Pour your milk in to a deep pan.

put on fire at medium heat.

Crumble in a handfull of the Roux with your hand

you can also make your roux first and pour the milk on top.

Heat until boiling WHILE STIRRING CONTINUESLY! otherwise your milk will burn and leave a very bad taste, keep the fire not to high.

Your sauce will thicken while you stirr, add a reasonable amount of salt, some pepper and at the end a sprinkle of nutmeg. if it is to thick add some of the extra milk (how thick it becomes depends on the amount of roux and how much flower you put in to it so you'll have to see when you're cooking it).

Cook it for 3 minutes more while stirring to get rid of the flowery taste.

How do you know when your sauce is thick enough ??

Dip in a spoon completely, on the back of your spoon stroke it with your finger (and taste of course :o ) if the line you've made on the back of the spoon stay's like it is , the sauce is ok, if it runs back to each other is to runny.

I have large lumps in my sauce

Your roux didn't melt because you didn't crumble it, stirred the sauce or it is to old.

Pass the sauce through a colender to take out the lumps, reheat slightly.

Great sauce for steamed or cooked cauliflower, broccoli, a healty addition to spinach, sweetwater fish, ect...

Deductions on Bechamel

Sauce bechamel creme = add creme in the end

Sauce Mornay = Chees sauce , mix in some grated emmental or soft dutch cheese when almost finished

Sauce nantua = reduced bechamel with creme, lobsterbutter, cognac and cayenne pepper

There are some more variations but dont know them by heart anymore.

Easy meal suggestion:

Pork chop with boiled patatoes , broccoli with bechamel. 30 minutes work

Enjoy.

Zen

boy...I love a man that cooks 

So do I! Used to have one at home but he ran away. :D

BTW, the other day I had spaghetti vongole with white wine sauce at an Italian Retaurant. Light & fresh. Love it! :o Can anyone kindly give me the recipe?

Here's mine:

Fusion Spaghetti Bolognese Phrik Ong

Go to the market and buy 10 baht's worth of nam phrik ong chilly dip. This is a moderately spicy tomato based sauce with minced meat in it.

Also get some onions and tomato, probably abother 5 baht for the two.

If it's a meal for a special occaision, go get some extra meat. Any kind of meat. Naem (sour fermented pigs ear sausage) works quite well. Or meatballs, or just about anything else, really. If you have some cheese-filled CP sausages left over in the fridge then just use those.

Oh, get some spaghetti. Forget imported overpriced stuff, go for for the 26 baht Tesco home brand, or the Best Food's one if you want to splurge. People on a budget just get 5 baht's worth of cold white khanom jeen noodle.

Preparation

Plug in your rice cooker.

Add water, 3 times the weight of the uncooked spaghetti. You may want to use bottled water for this, but as it gets cooked anyway, tap water is actually just fine if it's not too vile where you live. If water at your place is rust colored or has black flakes floating in it, consider using bottled water.

When it boils, add spaghetti and bend it so it fits in the pan. Close lid and cook for 7 minutes. Take out one spaghetti string and throw it against a tiled wall. If it sticks, it's done. Drain water, at a tiny bit of oil and set aside.

Plug in your electric pan.

Fry onions and meat in some oil, then add tomato's and the nam phrik ong chilly dip.

Cook for however much time you have patience for. 5 minutes is fine.

Taste. If too spicy then add just add something non-spicy. If too soury and generally aggressive then add something fatty. Like mayonnaise, milk or coffeemate if you don't have milk. Also add some sugar. You don't own sugar, but if you search the fridge you will find one of those little plastic bags with sugar and chilly powder you get when you buy noodle soup take-away.

Add some salt to taste, though Maggi or a little from the old mini-bottle of fish-sauce you inherited from an ex girlfriend last year will do, too.

Serve sauce with or over spaghetti.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Chanchao

• 11 months later...

Recipe for "Skin-heads-on-a-raft".

Put slice of bread in toaster.

Open can of baked beans (preferably Heinz).

Put baked beans in saucepan and heat (do not bring to boil).

When toast is golden colour, spread a little butter and put on plate.

When baked beans are hot, pour onto toast.

Voila! Skin-heads-on-a-raft

I'll make it easy to start to connect to chanchao's: Fusion Spaghetti Bolognese Phrik Ong

and BkkMadness: Spag Bol Uk Style :o

Spaghetti bolognese Traditional

Difficulty 1-2

Ingredients for 2-4 persons:

about 400 grams dried/ fresh spaghetti or cappelini (tiny spaghetti)

500 grams of chopped meat (beef, pork or mixed)

1 can tomato puree

4 fresh tomatoes

1 large onion.

some butter.

cornflower (cornstarch ??)

seasoning: oregano, basil, pepper, salt, some tabasco or chilly (if wanted)

optional:

button mushrooms

paprika (bell pepper)

bacon

Hardware:

2 cooking pots medium size.

Put your chopped meat in to one pot on a low heat and let the meat "sweat out", meaning let it softly cook whilest stirring regularly so it becomes gray but not baked brown, you can add a litlle water to help the process in the beginning.

In the mean time or before:

Chop your onion into fine cubes (peel, in half, then slice in 5 mm slices without cutting all the way through, slice opposite direction)

chop your tomatoes same size. if you have other veg (optional) you like to include chop them same size as well.

When the meat is "sweated" take it out of the pot and let rest on the side. put a nob of butter in the same pot and fry up your onions first, then add the other vegatables. fry them up untill light golden. add your tomato puree.

Add water until you have a pretty fluid sauce. (1 liter +-)

Add your meat back into the sauce

Season with half basil, half oregano, pepper , litlle bit of salt.

(you also may add a half a stock cube)

Let simmer for at least an hour, keeping an eye on the water level, if it boils down to much add some more water.

Start with filling the other pot with about 2 liters of water and bring to the boil.

Add you spaghetti and boil for about 10-12 minutes (taste your spag to make sure it's boiled ok) cappelini is about 6-7 minutes

For the sauce the fat of the meat will rise to the surface after a while.

Spoon of access fat.

Bind with your cornflower to become a medium thick sauce.

TASTE!

Season extra with salt, pepper and maybe a small pinche of sugar to take away the accidity of the tomatoes.

Serve sauce on top of spaghetti.

finish off with some parmasan cheese , or emmental or gruyere.

Variations:

Spaghetti meatballs:

roll meatballs from meat and boil toghether with spaghetti, make sauce without meat, then add everything toghether.

Bon Appetit!

Ok. Yum, kai, moo, nua or nam.

Ingredients

baby tomatoes

peanuts

meat(as above)

onion

green mango

chillies

fish sauce

sugar

limes

fresh parsley or coriander

Firstly prepare the sauce.

A handful of chillies(depending how hot you want it) into a pestle and mortar.

Mash these up to a pulp and broken up. Cut up some fresh limes and squeeze the juices into it. I suggest at least 6.

Add fish sauce and a few teaspoons of sugar. Taste. You dont want it too salty or sour. If too spicy then add more sugar. Place to the side.

Cook the meat or chop up the nam. Let it cool and put to the side.

Chop the baby tomatoes in half or if no babies then chop up a full tomato not to big or not too small

Put this into a pot/clean basin or big bowl.

Chop up an onion finely add this to the bowl

Add a handful of peanuts

Get a big knife and peel a mango. Take the big knife and hit it against the mango to create strips and shave off into bowl.

Finely chop parsley. and add also

Now add meat and sauces. Stir this in the bowl and serve cold.

Serves around 2-4 people depending on what size servings you want. If for more people then just add a little more of everything. EASY!

Easy Thai food.

Just one of many

Ok. Yum, kai, moo, nua or nam.

Ingredients

baby tomatoes

peanuts

meat(as above)

onion

green mango

chillies

fish sauce

sugar

limes

fresh parsley or coriander

Firstly prepare the sauce.

A handful of chillies(depending how hot you want it) into a pestle and mortar.

Mash these up to a pulp and broken up. Cut up some fresh limes and squeeze the juices into it. I suggest at least 6.

Add fish sauce and a few teaspoons of sugar. Taste. You dont want it too salty or sour. If too spicy then add more sugar. Place to the side.

Cook the meat or chop up the nam. Let it cool and put to the side.

Chop the baby tomatoes in half or if no babies then chop up a full tomato not to big or not too small

Put this into a pot/clean basin or big bowl.

Chop up an onion finely add this to the bowl

Add a handful of peanuts

Get a big knife and peel a mango. Take the big knife and hit it against the mango to create strips and shave off into bowl.

Finely chop parsley. and add also

Now add meat and sauces. Stir this in the bowl and serve cold.

Serves around 2-4 people depending on what size servings you want. If for more people then just add a little more of everything. EASY!

Easy Thai food.

Just one of many

:o:D:D:D