Boat and Trailer

Beara

Very difficult to do legal. You can go through the process of registering the trailer. It is not easy but can be done. Then comes the snag. In order to tow a legal trailer you must have a commercial license. To do that you would need a work permit however, you are not permitted to do this as it is a job only a Thai national can qualify for.

Thanks for the info guys, I had no idea but should have noticed not a lot of trailers on the road.

I also always wondered why there were no private trailers on the road, and had concluded that they must be illegal. The Australian guy that built my trailer used to build trailers in Australia, and thought there should be a market here. He investigated and found no barriers, so started his trailer building business.

What he discovered was that since trailers are not "normal" here, Thais either do not want them or are afraid of them. In any event, almost all his sales went to farang. He was quite disappointed as he thought he was on to something. Thais would look at his trailers and act impressed by them, but would have nothing to do with buying one.

I was amazed that his sales didn't take off like gangbusters. My trailer is awesome. Well built, perfectly balanced and nice looking. too. It only cost 42,000 baht. When you look at the insanely giant loads Thais put on their pick-up trucks, you'd think they'd be all over a trailer. For 42,000 baht, you could add the cargo equivalent of a second 800,000 baht truck. But no, not interested. And that my friend is why you see practically no trailers on the road on Thailand.

Edit: I also recall the Australian telling me that the ONLY problems he had with customers complaining about trailer performance or malfunction were from the few Thai customers he had. The Thais would routinely put double or more the rated payload weight on the trailer then drive at excessive speeds down bumpy roads. They complained when something gave. They just do not understand loads and load dynamics. None of the farang trailer customers had these problems. I certainly have not.

Edited by Reincarnation9
  • Like 2

Very difficult to do legal. You can go through the process of registering the trailer. It is not easy but can be done. Then comes the snag. In order to tow a legal trailer you must have a commercial license. To do that you would need a work permit however, you are not permitted to do this as it is a job only a Thai national can qualify for.

Where do so many TV members come up with these authoritative reports on subjects about which they know absolutely nothing? With all due respect, none of the foregoing about trailers is true. Several years ago, I had a 4 foot by 8 foot utility trailer built by a company that advertised on TV (run by an Australian). He also put the trailer hitch on my truck along with all the wiring.

He handled getting the trailer registered as part of his service. I do believe he had to have the finished trailer inspected by the Department of Transportation as part of the process. You get a little registration certificate exactly like the one for your car (or pick-up truck) and put it on the inside of the windshield beside the one for your car. You also get a license plate and another ownership book, just like the one for your car. You renew the registration (and pay the government insurance) every year just like for your car.

There is no special driver license. Just your regular driver license. There is certainly no requirement for a work permit.

This has been a great trailer. I live in Phitsanulok and have used the trailer to haul sand, gravel, leaves, grass clippings, manure, etc. Several years ago, I hauled it down to Bangkok to pick up an ATV I imported. Two weeks ago, I hauled it down to Bangkok to pick up water filtration and other stuff I imported. I have been through innumerable police check points. I have had the papers and my license checked but 99% of the time, I am just waived through.

I have never had a commercial driver license in thailand. I have never had a work permit in Thailand. I have never had a problem pulling this trailer.

I cannot imagine that it would be any different for a boat trailer, unless, perhaps, it was very long. Perhaps if you were hauling a 40 foot boat trailer, the requirements would be different. But for a normal pleasure boat size trailer, I can't see any problem. And if you buy the boat and trailer together, the trailer should already be registered and ready to roll. But you do need a trailer hitch and wiring for the lights.

The only downside is that if you are on a toll road in Bangkok, you pay the rate for a truck and trailer -- when it is 40 baht for just your truck, you get hit for 60 baht for truck and trailer. If the trailer has two axles (mine has one), you will pay even more.

You are correct in your statement no special licence required when towing a trailer just your normal drivers licence

I assume you might have bought the trailer of a friend of mine who used to build trailers in Thailand for many years

the trailer came complete with licence to-bar electrical wiring but my friend moved back to OZ a few years back

since the demand was not high enough to cover the cost to build them he build allsorts of trailers single axle double axle

boat trailers and so on

Where do so many TV members come up with these authoritative reports on subjects about which they know absolutely nothing? With all due respect, none of the foregoing about trailers is true. Several years ago, I had a 4 foot by 8 foot utility trailer built by a company that advertised on TV (run by an Australian). He also put the trailer hitch on my truck along with all the wiring.

He handled getting the trailer registered as part of his service. I do believe he had to have the finished trailer inspected by the Department of Transportation as part of the process. You get a little registration certificate exactly like the one for your car (or pick-up truck) and put it on the inside of the windshield beside the one for your car. You also get a license plate and another ownership book, just like the one for your car. You renew the registration (and pay the government insurance) every year just like for your car.

There is no special driver license. Just your regular driver license. There is certainly no requirement for a work permit.

This has been a great trailer. I live in Phitsanulok and have used the trailer to haul sand, gravel, leaves, grass clippings, manure, etc. Several years ago, I hauled it down to Bangkok to pick up an ATV I imported. Two weeks ago, I hauled it down to Bangkok to pick up water filtration and other stuff I imported. I have been through innumerable police check points. I have had the papers and my license checked but 99% of the time, I am just waived through.

I have never had a commercial driver license in thailand. I have never had a work permit in Thailand. I have never had a problem pulling this trailer.

I cannot imagine that it would be any different for a boat trailer, unless, perhaps, it was very long. Perhaps if you were hauling a 40 foot boat trailer, the requirements would be different. But for a normal pleasure boat size trailer, I can't see any problem. And if you buy the boat and trailer together, the trailer should already be registered and ready to roll. But you do need a trailer hitch and wiring for the lights.

The only downside is that if you are on a toll road in Bangkok, you pay the rate for a truck and trailer -- when it is 40 baht for just your truck, you get hit for 60 baht for truck and trailer. If the trailer has two axles (mine has one), you will pay even more.

You are correct in your statement no special licence required when towing a trailer just your normal drivers licence

I assume you might have bought the trailer of a friend of mine who used to build trailers in Thailand for many years

the trailer came complete with licence to-bar electrical wiring but my friend moved back to OZ a few years back

since the demand was not high enough to cover the cost to build them he build allsorts of trailers single axle double axle

boat trailers and so on

PM'ed.

Thank you all for the information.It has certainly put my mind at ease to find out it is not too difficult.

I was thinking of all sorts of ways to get around it, I live fairly near a klong and thought if I got a digger in and dug a trench.......noooo I would probably end up flooding the village.

I thought I could maybe fit some sort of harness to a water buffalo but I haven't a clue how to drive one of those and up close they are really big.

Anyway I will sleep better tonight, thanks guys.

• 1 year later...

For the way people (all people) drive here, we're lucky there aren't more trailers!

I second that, can you imagine thai people trying to back a trailer, i did my 5 year license late last year, and watched many many thai trying to do reverse parking, 7 times before they fail, many had to come back next day to have another go, the other thing that would worry me, is the way they cut in just behind ,if i had a trailer connected, i think it would have lots of dings from this action.

• 3 weeks later...

check any truck supply outfit - that deals with tandem or tractor trailer equipment. They should have what you need. Is it 6 or 7 pin - round or flat ?

it's seven pin round. what i need is the female connector and about a foot of cable to change the UK type plug that is now on the trailer. and adapter would be nice, but i'm not holding my breath. i googled truck supply companies, dead end every one for non thai.

post-205869-0-54003500-1457427079_thumb.

post-205869-0-57205900-1457427092_thumb.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know what size limitations are for towing?  In particular maximum width allowable?   In Europe it is 2.5M and in the U.S. 2.6M with special license required for up to 12ft with caution flags and special company with vehicle ahead and behind for wide loads up to 16ft.  Thereafter, it is special permission with route planning, and gets much more complicated.   
So any rules on width of trailer?