PRD gears up campaign to create positive image for Thailand with foreigners

webfact

Just dropped into this thread to sop up all of the expected cynicism and negative rhetoric about Thailand. From the general tenor of the posts here, you'd think the farangs at TV had been captured by slavers in their home countries and forced to come here against their will. C'mon... the place is not perfect, but did so many people simply go along with the urgings of their 'little brain' and decide to move to what is apparently a living hell (if some of the posts here are to be believed).

Your words are as cute as your avatar, Mr. Docno smile.png

Good to get some counter balance post here, but please believe me when I say that since the past year or so I truly am considering to relocate to Australia or even Canada with my Thai/western family and this after almost 24 years living in LOS. I did spend half a lifetime here and have been one of the front fighters to oppose and step in for Thailand and its people whenever posts drifted towards Thai bashing, but I find that rather difficult now given the latest developments. In the early years, the PROs to live and work here outweighed the CONs by far, but over the past years Thailand's true colors and the true sentiment of the people shines through the mask of smiles more and more. One must be blind to not see that. The latest political developments, the increasing censorship, the increasing uncertainty amongst Thais and foreigners alike tilted the scale (at least for me) to 25% PRO and 75% CON living and working and/or retiring in Thailand.

For the first time in my life, I feel not welcome; just tolerated - not integrated; just monitored - and that after almost 24 years of working and investing like crazy in this country, speaking and understanding the language, having employed and worked with countless Thai people and having some very close Thai friends.

If all of this is not frightening or eye-opening enough, I can tell you that countless Thai people I have spoken to in the past year or so, agree with me on this. They also feel that an overall anti-foreign attitude is on the increase due to feeling helpless under and powerless against a totalitarian government. People always need someone to blame, and a "sneaky farang" who knows too much and who perhaps might "steal" a Thai's 9-2-5 job, or "steal" that tiny piece of Thailand in form of a Co.,ltd. owned 800sqm Chanote from them, "steal" their women, and who makes the abusive, non-working average Thai man lose face by simply doing a better job in caring for his family and children, is just good enough to be the valve for their increasing anger... There are difficult times ahead, Docno, and believe me when I say that I'd wish your words would reflect the reality here in LOS - unfortunately they don't sad.png

Coincidentally, I have been here about the same amount of years and this is approx. how I feel also.

I don't feel the anti foreigner sentiment (probably because I am a woman) but I think it is there. I am putting plans into place so that I can spend at least half my time away from Thailand in the future. I don't know that I will move completely away but I do want to have the option.

Thailand has a lot of problems that will take monumental social shifts to cure. The population has bought into the consumer model but mostly don't have the means to sustain it. Those that do mostly can't curb their behaviour. There are exceptions to that but the majority will get more and more squeezed.

My first thoughts when reading all the negative posts was that if they don't like Thailand, move the hell out of Thailand. No one is forcing you to live there. The above posts however are more of difficult to read. However I believe that perspective, is all important, and is one of the only things we have any control over. I've seen the US deteriorate over the years into the kleptocracy it is today. It's sad but it is what it is.

Despite the posts I've read here today, Thailand still sounds much better than here. Freedom is a biggie for me. I won't know the reality of living in Thailand till I am actually there, so I hope I'm not off base here. But I am looking forward to the day I fly out of here to Thailand. I read many great things about Thailand ( in my opinion ) And if it ever gets to the point I only see the negatives of living there, I will move again.

I love Thailand, I have just bought a place here (I know a load of people will say that's a mistake) but I really love it, the Thais I have met locally seem very nice.... and I still hope to retire here in a few years.

However, I am very worried at what seems to be a huge split within the various Thai government sectors....

On one hand you have the Thai sector promoting Thailand, and its tourism, and on the other hand the other side of the government seem to be treating Farang with contempt and trying to make life as hard as possible for visas and property/business ownership.

Recent news of rapes, murder and drug related muggings don't help but for me the biggest, biggest biggest mistake recently has been the chaos over the tourists (swedish family with kid in the news) taking umbrellas to the beaches.... the last two days have seen several news reports of armed men/police/Orbortor forcibly taking cushions/umbrellas/chairs from TOURISTS at Surin beach... followed by a pathetic public press statement/excuse saying they were misunderstood and simply in the way of a survey....

Come on...then tourists were not all up at the high tide/road area of the beach and were quite clear that they were told they could NOT bring stuff on to the beach!!!

This has been spoken of constantly in my circles.... shared via Twitter and Facebook.... out of all this political mess, THIS is the story that will crucify Thai tourism.....

"Come to Land Of Smile and sunny Thailand with your family and children..... get heatstroke, let your children burn in the sun!!!"

What country that professes to WANT tourism can justify that chaos????

Most tourists want the clean air, sun, beaches, sea..... and THIS is the story everyone is talking about.....this could ruin Thailand tourism.... not the local election potential, THIS is what Farang are talking about.

If they want quality tourists, they need to encourage them with better visa options, use a point system (like Australia does for immigration).... you have money and property here...fine, longer stay.... you have little money and want to get drunk and fight in the bar strip... stick with the short-term visa....

Provide, safe friendly service at or near the beaches for food, drink, and for goodness sake...UMBRELLAS for shade!!!

If you don't want tourists...just carry on the sway things have been the last few months....because you are doing a great job of NEGATIVE press advertising!

Wow. Quite a rant Four Posts'. You have an 'interest' here? Love the way these posters always bring in ,my child will come to harm'. Well. Take it somewhere else then w00t.gif

LOL... being new to a forum doesn't mean that my 4 posts are any less then another persons! and it was not a rant.... i was actually being constructive. But, here, i'lll break my "rant" (LOL) down for you... I was saying that I like it here, want to retire here, and I play by their (frustrating) changing rules.... the point i was making was that the biggest talked about and shared threads on social media are NOT the political, the crime, the stop-searches..... but the idiocy that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, as emphasised by the recent beach/umbrella/chairs fiasco. You have me wrong, my interest here is wanting it all to calm down and to remain here. I have no small children by the way so you were wrong there too.... doesn't mean i cannot empathise with those tourists who come here and receive the recently reported treatment! (Oh, and by the way.... a lengthy and intelligent post, regardless of your opinion, does NOT equate to a rant!) Sorry to anyone who i may have offended with MY opinion, I thought we were still entitled to those!! As for your parting shot of "take it somewhere else then".... I will say this.... petty, small minded and exactly the low-level solution that causes problems, but maybe you are just a troll looking to stir things up....??

Image boosting campaign to create positive attitude for foreigners?

Here's and idea!

Return Thailand to the people and have an election.

Not only I will the rest of the world look at Thailand in a more positive light the economy will be much brighter to!

Do you really think the rest of the world gives a rat's what is going on in Thailand ? The average tourist who comes to Thailand probably knows nothing about the local politics or that there was a coup recently and martial law in place.

Most foreigners go to Thailand for cheap food, accommodation, shopping, booze and girls, no matter what party is in power.

The average Thai knows little about Democracy and politics and the only reason some of them would want an election is because of the cash reward they get for their bloody vote !

Patronising nonsense. The Thais have been fighting for democracy for decades and many travellers are highly politically aware and know about blood diamonds, human rights, eco tourism, democracy and other ethical issues. That you do not care about such matters or the Thai people is your business but you have no right to project your crass, immature view on to us all.

I find this statement hard to believe. The average Thai has a poor knowledge of geography, and as for knowing about blood diamonds, eco-tourism and most other points you raise, is wishful thinking.

Here's and idea!

Not only I will the rest of the world look at Thailand in a more positive light the economy will be much brighter to!

What do you mean 'return' ???

You can only return to a place or a situation where you have been before ...

Spend the money on a Thai campaign to teach the Thai people that tourists contribute money, and a lot of it, to the Thai economy.

Tourists are customers. Customers means jobs. Yes, some behave badly but most don't.

Protect tourists from bad police and criminals who try to cheat them ... like the jet ski scammers and bad taxi drivers who won't use meters.

You are wasting money on PR unless all you want is a one time customer (a Thai norm).

With social media alive and well and beyond control of the Thai government, Thailand can't hide the bad things that happen to tourists.

Reverse psychology is not a bad strategy razer. Bloody good idea in fact !

• Like 1

the positive image boosting campaign to create positive attitude for foreigners towards Thailand. Oh mancheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif They just can't stop themselves. I always come to Thai Visa when I need a good laugh.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

Just how many government agencies are involved in dreaming up campaigns to promote tourism in / to Thailand? There seem to be a lot and do they all receive funding to sit around dreaming up campaigns?

Do they ever talk to each other and consult about the least ridiculous campaign ?

• Like 1

Here's and idea!

I fail to understand ,why your comment is popular.The best thing that happened to thailand ,was and still is military rule.Tourism has nothing to do with who runs the country.either yellow shirts or red shirts.Tourism dropped,because not only thailand becomming more expencive,,,8 years ago,there attitude started changing badly towards farangs,,and every year became worse.Also the fuss with changing laws every 5 december.,Many went other places,,and many returned back to the own country,when the baht dropped to as low as 45 to the pound.....The reason the military took control,simply because the country ,was out of control.Have you not read and understood the coruption that has been going on.And now being put right by the military.As soon as the military give the power.back,The same crooks will move back in.I think thailand needs to be run by the military for a least ,another 5 years,,Its other countrys crooks that dont like the military rule.Because they cannot be bribed.

Well, having your Gestapo like Police Officers stopping innocent Farangs on the street corner and demanding to see their Passports, then throwing in the back of the Paddy Wagon handcuffed if they can't produce it on the spot, is not showing a positive image to foreigners. It is showing a Police like State which is definitely unfriendly to foreigners.

The proof is in the pudding and not in your words.The first step is to stop this kind of treatment and actions. What ever happened to that big smile we used to get from the Friendly Police Officer when you first got off at the airport?

Is that actually happening?

Here's and idea!

Do you really think the rest of the world gives a rat's what is going on in Thailand ? The average tourist who comes to Thailand probably knows nothing about the local politics or that there was a coup recently and martial law in place.

Most foreigners go to Thailand for cheap food, accommodation, shopping, booze and girls, no matter what party is in power.

The average Thai knows little about Democracy and politics and the only reason some of them would want an election is because of the cash reward they get for their bloody vote !

Patronising nonsense. The Thais have been fighting for democracy for decades and many travellers are highly politically aware and know about blood diamonds, human rights, eco tourism, democracy and other ethical issues. That you do not care about such matters or the Thai people is your business but you have no right to project your crass, immature view on to us all.

I find this statement hard to believe. The average Thai has a poor knowledge of geography, and as for knowing about blood diamonds, eco-tourism and most other points you raise, is wishful thinking.

Umm, I think you will find that it was the travellers (visitors) who know about blood diamonds, human rights etc.

Actually, in my opinion a surprising number of Thais I have met are aware of what might be described as "eco matters".

Thomas Hannah

You are assuming that the military , and those that support them , are themselves not corrupt , thats a huge leap of faith.

History shows us , and I talk world wide , that military rule is not welcomed internationally , nor do such regimes bring economic benefits , why should this one buck the trend ?

Just dropped into this thread to sop up all of the expected cynicism and negative rhetoric about Thailand. From the general tenor of the posts here, you'd think the farangs at TV had been captured by slavers in their home countries and forced to come here against their will. C'mon... the place is not perfect, but did so many people simply go along with the urgings of their 'little brain' and decide to move to what is apparently a living hell (if some of the posts here are to be believed).

So, you're saying that a huge increase in random urine tests for walking down the street, is a good thing? Please don't excuse angry xenophobia. Yes, it's their country. That doesn't mean the abusive behavior lately is good. I love Thailand, and I think it's a shame what they're turning it into lately.

• Like 2

Your words are as cute as your avatar, Mr. Docno smile.png

Good to get some counter balance post here, but please believe me when I say that since the past year or so I truly am considering to relocate to Australia or even Canada with my Thai/western family and this after almost 24 years living in LOS. I did spend half a lifetime here and have been one of the front fighters to oppose and step in for Thailand and its people whenever posts drifted towards Thai bashing, but I find that rather difficult now given the latest developments. In the early years, the PROs to live and work here outweighed the CONs by far, but over the past years Thailand's true colors and the true sentiment of the people shines through the mask of smiles more and more. One must be blind to not see that. The latest political developments, the increasing censorship, the increasing uncertainty amongst Thais and foreigners alike tilted the scale (at least for me) to 25% PRO and 75% CON living and working and/or retiring in Thailand.

For the first time in my life, I feel not welcome; just tolerated - not integrated; just monitored - and that after almost 24 years of working and investing like crazy in this country, speaking and understanding the language, having employed and worked with countless Thai people and having some very close Thai friends.

If all of this is not frightening or eye-opening enough, I can tell you that countless Thai people I have spoken to in the past year or so, agree with me on this. They also feel that an overall anti-foreign attitude is on the increase due to feeling helpless under and powerless against a totalitarian government. People always need someone to blame, and a "sneaky farang" who knows too much and who perhaps might "steal" a Thai's 9-2-5 job, or "steal" that tiny piece of Thailand in form of a Co.,ltd. owned 800sqm Chanote from them, "steal" their women, and who makes the abusive, non-working average Thai man lose face by simply doing a better job in caring for his family and children, is just good enough to be the valve for their increasing anger... There are difficult times ahead, Docno, and believe me when I say that I'd wish your words would reflect the reality here in LOS - unfortunately they don't sad.png

Coincidentally, I have been here about the same amount of years and this is approx. how I feel also.

I don't feel the anti foreigner sentiment (probably because I am a woman) but I think it is there. I am putting plans into place so that I can spend at least half my time away from Thailand in the future. I don't know that I will move completely away but I do want to have the option.

Thailand has a lot of problems that will take monumental social shifts to cure. The population has bought into the consumer model but mostly don't have the means to sustain it. Those that do mostly can't curb their behaviour. There are exceptions to that but the majority will get more and more squeezed.

My first thoughts when reading all the negative posts was that if they don't like Thailand, move the hell out of Thailand. No one is forcing you to live there. The above posts however are more of difficult to read. However I believe that perspective, is all important, and is one of the only things we have any control over. I've seen the US deteriorate over the years into the kleptocracy it is today. It's sad but it is what it is.

Despite the posts I've read here today, Thailand still sounds much better than here. Freedom is a biggie for me. I won't know the reality of living in Thailand till I am actually there, so I hope I'm not off base here. But I am looking forward to the day I fly out of here to Thailand. I read many great things about Thailand ( in my opinion ) And if it ever gets to the point I only see the negatives of living there, I will move again.

You've never even been to Thailand before? What the <deleted> do you think you have to say about a place you've never been before?

Edited by John1thru10

You know leaving the coup out of it I have some friends who not only looked to other destinations but now prefer them.

One lot now prefer Vietnam while another likes Bali Indonesia and not the tourist spots of Bali but away from there they say it's nicer than Thailand .I can't comment never been there.

I really don't whether Thailand has lost it's tourist pull but I have noticed lately a little bit more pitch for retirees.

One of the attractions to your "friends" may well be your absence.

I do live in the US and our freedoms are much less than they were when I was younger. I admitted I haven't been there yet, but from the number of Thai blogs I read regularly. It sounds to me, from my perspective, that freedom is more prevelant in Thailand. Though it's sounding like things may be changing, unfortunately. I haven't read about andI certainly don't like the idea of on the street urine tests, being charged more because I'm farang, or being handcuffed and thrown in the wagon for not having my passport. It's why I read ThaiVisa. That being said, when I do get there I will focus on and write about the things I like. I feel confident there will be alot.

And here we go again. Instead of creating a better image, which would probably be a false image, they should fix the problems. Once the problems are addressed, the foreigners will create their own "real" images of Thailand.

Yes. It's not a question of "doing" but a question of "being."

If a positive image is what you want to put forward maybe a good place to start would be show that no one person is above the law and all are viewed as equals with equal rights. And drop this Farang thing It makes people think negative. Like when story in paper comes about arrest just say "Blank" national arrested for such and such

Some interesting posts here.

And certainly some very contradictory posts.

Maybe the Director-General of the Public Relations Department would learn more if he read the posts here, rather than wasting millions of Baht on endless meetings/seminars which deliver nothing useful for the future of Thailand.

As most of us know - generally, if people have bad experiences, shall we say shopping at MyMart or buying a Cyber computer, they will endeavour to not place themselves in that situation again, and possibly advise others, such as through social media, to avoid their experience; do not shop at MyMart or buy a Cyber computer, because this was my experience.

As long as the Thai bureaucracy follows it long adopted status quo, and not move with the changes taking place around it, then it will lead Thailand further and further down the path of self-destruction.

"The times are a changing", and unless you move with the times, you fall further and further behind the times.

Thailand has achieved a reputation this year for unstable government, dodgy law enforce and corruption.

how can PRD expect to change this when authorities like TAT consider the best way to right this is to "con" the public with a misleading "viral" commercial posing as a private blog?????

it just shows that duplicity is rife THROUGHOUT the authorities.