Best Modification done on Honda PCX150- Rear Suspension & More

dannywla

The PCX is a fantastic scooter. Designed in Thailand. Built in Thailand...for small Thai people.

A large farang looks a bit goofy on one.

Same same for just about every scooter for sale in Thailand. They don't make them for the farang sized rider. Why would they?

With the PCX you have to add the new rear shocks, etc. so you end up paying the SH150 price anyway.

You still have inferior rear drum brake, lousy front forks, 2HP less, small wheels and cramper rider ergonomics.

The SH was designed in Milan for European sized riders. The only scooter choice for the Farang sized rider in my opinion.

Picked mine up, slightly used for 79,000Bt. It was too tall for the Thai rider.

Is the SH fully automatic? and how is fuel consumption compared to the PCX 150? That is two of the really good things I find with my PCX 150. my last bike was a Fino, reliable bike, but the fuel consumption was dreadful.

Anyone who wants high speeds on any size of bike on Thai roads must have a death wish, I rode my PXS 150 from Phichit to Mukdahan and back, never went faster than 60. I saw plenty of big bikes on that trip traveling at probably more than 100, it just takes a pothole in the shade of a tree and not seen by the rider in time to have devastating effects, what about oil, gravel on the roads? Yes, I understand the thrill of a high speed ride, but I would rather not take the chance of being crippled or dead.

Anyone who wants high speeds on any size of bike on Thai roads must have a death wish, I rode my PXS 150 from Phichit to Mukdahan and back, never went faster than 60. I saw plenty of big bikes on that trip traveling at probably more than 100, it just takes a pothole in the shade of a tree and not seen by the rider in time to have devastating effects, what about oil, gravel on the roads? Yes, I understand the thrill of a high speed ride, but I would rather not take the chance of being crippled or dead.

Possum,

You are right however bigger bikes also have bigger and better suspension / wheels. There are many potholes my scooter would have a lot of problems with my big bike would not.

Possum,

You are right however bigger bikes also have bigger and better suspension / wheels. There are many potholes my scooter would have a lot of problems with my big bike would not.

Robbo, I have nothing against big bikes, I had a Honda 250 Dream back in Scotland, and your post is spot on, but anything on two wheels will have problems if you hit oil spillage, or gravel, of course you always watch out for that, but when trees overshadow the roads on a sunny day, all riders have to be extra careful.

Hope it is miles you are talking about.

We all take our chances in life and calculate the risks we take.

Oils spills are not bad if you are going straight. And potholes also not a big problem

Of course a rider needs to be careful and open eyed all the time to see and eliminate those risks and it works.

Oils spills are not bad if you are going straight. And potholes also not a big problem

Of course a rider needs to be careful and open eyed all the time to see and eliminate those risks and it works.

I think Possum is talking kmh, not mph. The PCX's top speed is more or less 110 kmh per hour so I would take that to mean he was riding no faster than 60 kmh.

@Possum - speeds depend on the road, amount of traffic etc etc. I just finished a 2000 km round trip and except for some very bad stretches and through villages, average speed was 130-140 kmh. No issues with pot holes or oil spills. Lots of other riders doing similar speeds as well

I think Possum is talking kmh, not mph. The PCX's top speed is more or less 110 kmh per hour so I would take that to mean he was riding no faster than 60 kmh.

@Possum - speeds depend on the road, amount of traffic etc etc. I just finished a 2000 km round trip and except for some very bad stretches and through villages, average speed was 130-140 kmh. No issues with pot holes or oil spills. Lots of other riders doing similar speeds as well

Also riding slow is dangerous too. Especially fast sections of highways.

That is why in europe there is a lowest speed limit on most highways.

Edited by ll2

That's right, as I have said all along, I'm not interested in speed, I am happy to take my time and enjoy the ride, and yes, I am talking Kmh. but if you want to ride so fast, that is up to you, I noticed gravel on the road, and in my opinion, that can be as lethal as ice. I hope your luck holds out.

I did see a rider skid on gravel and he came off his bike, he was not going fast and was also riding on the wrong side of the road so sam-nam- na.

Well I have no intention of riding at speeds of 100 Kmh. I suppose you think a PCX is not suitable for road trips. It just takes the shadow of trees in the sun to not see potholes until too late. I accept that a big bike will handle potholes better than a PCX. But I intend to stay safe as much as possible.

Hi

I had the older style PCX150 and upgraded the rear suspension from MaiThai on Soi Bukcow, was a year or so ago now believe it was 5000 or 5500 baht. Was not YSS shocks some other Jap import but did the job.

Now I have the new version PCX150 (LED lights etc) it does not bottom out as standard.

That's right, as I have said all along, I'm not interested in speed, I am happy to take my time and enjoy the ride, and yes, I am talking Kmh. but if you want to ride so fast, that is up to you, I noticed gravel on the road, and in my opinion, that can be as lethal as ice. I hope your luck holds out.

I did see a rider skid on gravel and he came off his bike, he was not going fast and was also riding on the wrong side of the road so sam-nam- na.

I would not bother going on a road trip if I had to ride at 60 km/h but it is completely incorrect for you to say that I (or most other riders) have a death wish if we rode at 100 km/h. Like I said, a lot depends on the road in question, the condition of it's surface, other traffic etc etc.

If you were following another thread, you would realise that I did come off my bike - doing about 5 km/h - whereas 30 minutes prior to that, I was doing about 120 km/h. Go figure.

Well I have no intention of riding at speeds of 100 Kmh. I suppose you think a PCX is not suitable for road trips. It just takes the shadow of trees in the sun to not see potholes until too late. I accept that a big bike will handle potholes better than a PCX. But I intend to stay safe as much as possible.

I would strongly recommend against riding at speeds of 100 kmh on the PCX. It is too unstable at that speed.

Having said that, riding at 60 kmh along many stretches of roads in Thailand (Hwy 12 Lomsak to Phitsanulok for eg) is, in my opinion, many times more dangerous that riding at 120 kmh.

Yes, I agree entirely, it depends on roads and road conditions, maybe I have got it wrong, but it seems you are sometimes going over the speed limit. you don't need me to tell you that the majority of drivers in Thailand are idiots. ie, overtaking you, then slowing down quickly to make a left hand turn in front of you.

A long straight road and dry conditions, very little traffic, you are riding along at 140 Khm, you don't know if someone or even animals are going to come out from either side at an opening in front of you, where I was riding two weeks ago there were lots of notices telling you to beware of elephants. and they can run, anyway, stay safe.

Yes, I agree entirely, it depends on roads and road conditions, maybe I have got it wrong, but it seems you are sometimes going over the speed limit. you don't need me to tell you that the majority of drivers in Thailand are idiots. ie, overtaking you, then slowing down quickly to make a left hand turn in front of you.

A long straight road and dry conditions, very little traffic, you are riding along at 140 Khm, you don't know if someone or even animals are going to come out from either side at an opening in front of you, where I was riding two weeks ago there were lots of notices telling you to beware of elephants. and they can run, anyway, stay safe.

I understand your reservations possum especially on a pcx.

But in real, it is not like that especially on a big bike.

Life is full of risks on and off bikes.

A car might ran over you too while walking.

If we think that way, we better dont leave home.

Even worst is when they make a u-turn and want to go across all 2-3-or-4 lanes of traffic because they need to hit a side soi or petrol station. Idiots.

Even better was on the way back from Amphawa were I saw less than 100 meters from the proper u-turns the little dirt tracks that the scooters had made over the centre divider. Even saw the painted outline of a scooter by one. Talk about lazy.

The PCX is a fantastic scooter. Designed in Thailand. Built in Thailand...for small Thai people.

Same same for just about every scooter for sale in Thailand. They don't make them for the farang sized rider. Why would they?

With the PCX you have to add the new rear shocks, etc. so you end up paying the SH150 price anyway.

You still have inferior rear drum brake, lousy front forks, 2HP less, small wheels and cramper rider ergonomics.

The SH was designed in Milan for European sized riders. The only scooter choice for the Farang sized rider in my opinion.

ehhh the PCX is sold in the European market too - they are fine for farrang riders.

ehhh the PCX is sold in the European market too - they are fine for farrang riders.

The PCX is OK for smaller farangs. Designed and built in Thailand for smaller riders obviously.

If you are over 80 kilograms or a tall person, it's a compromise.

Price sensitive customers may be fine with the PCX but if they need to modify it right out of the showroom, whats the point?

The PCX owners will still have the small wheels, lousy front shocks, rear disc brake and a cramped riding position.

Honda makes a better scooter for European sized riders. The SH150. No need to modify it for the bigger riders.

The SH will obviously give the larger riders more comfort, performance and safety with the nice suspension(front and rear), rear disc brake, more power, 16" wheels with large tires, comfy seat & roomy ergonomics.

Both bikes are excellent and built for different customers.

I did that road two weeks ago, and felt very safe there mainly because of little traffic, is that the road near Petchaburn which has all the signs about elephants? No matter the bike, the road or the rider, nothing is near 100% perfect, but I do think riding on the hard shoulder on the hard shoulder of the highway at 60 Kmh on a PCX is much safer than doing 130 Kmh on a big bike on the first or second lane in average traffic.

I'm not against big bikes in any way, but I would never consider having one in Thailand with so many idiotic drivers on the road.

My PCX150 is almost at 29k klometres, the last 22k with YSS shocks, but the shocks have had it. The spings are still working OK.

Can you get YSS to recharge the gas in the shockers? Probably need new seals as well.

The PCX is OK for smaller farangs. Designed and built in Thailand for smaller riders obviously.

If you are over 80 kilograms or a tall person, it's a compromise.

Price sensitive customers may be fine with the PCX but if they need to modify it right out of the showroom, whats the point?

The PCX owners will still have the small wheels, lousy front shocks, rear disc brake and a cramped riding position.

Honda makes a better scooter for European sized riders. The SH150. No need to modify it for the bigger riders.

The SH will obviously give the larger riders more comfort, performance and safety with the nice suspension(front and rear), rear disc brake, more power, 16" wheels with large tires, comfy seat & roomy ergonomics.

Both bikes are excellent and built for different customers.

I have to agree that many farang riders on PCXes look oversized for the bike. I am not putting the bike down. Biggish PCX riders often look a little cramped, uncomfortable, with their backs slumped to reach down to the handlebars. The combo frequently does not look right.

I have been considering the SH because of the bigger wheels and more acceptable rear suspension, as I've read. However, I have yet to find an SH that I can take for a test run. There's no way I'm going to put down 100K without a pre-purchase test ride.

I have to agree that many farang riders on PCXes look oversized for the bike. I am not putting the bike down. Biggish PCX riders often look a little cramped, uncomfortable, with their backs slumped to reach down to the handlebars. The combo frequently does not look right.

I have been considering the SH because of the bigger wheels and more acceptable rear suspension, as I've read. However, I have yet to find an SH that I can take for a test run. There's no way I'm going to put down 100K without a pre-purchase test ride.

I know the PCX125 was a torture device for me and I'm only 1.76. It's that goofy hump it has. The PCX150 without it allows me to scoot back on the seat and be much more comfortable.

• 9 months later...

The Honda Forza 300cc is ok sized with a Farang on it. See below. As a side note; isn't there an SH-300 out?

Forza_2014_01.jpg

Forza is NOT an 'around town' scooter. Maxi-scooters are a whole new ball game; I don't understand why anyone would pay that much for a 'scooter' with a bumpy 14" wheel ride. If you need more comfort then I'd say the SH150 isn't a bad option, but the height would be an issue for me. The PCX won, and I'm happy with it - just a 1000 upgrade to gas shocks (no need for multi-adjustable YSS, just plain with preload is fine).

Edited by ben2talk