mistake withdraw 2000B from 800000B

You should never ever have 800K on a account connected to an ATM card.

A friend of mine got skimmed not long time ago any luckily he "only" had 40k on the card but they took everything. They left 60 Baht on the account.

The police have the pictures from the ATM and you can clearly see that its not my friend that takes out the money, but the only thing he can hope for is the Police to catch the guy. Only way to get money back apparently.

Have two accounts and move money to the account that is connected to your card on a per need basis. Much better. I never have more than 10k on my card account.

Easy to move money with the smart-phone app, or online.

Excuse my ignorance: If I maintain 800,000 baht in a Thai bank throughout the year, is there still a need to show a steady income of 65,000 baht per month ?

My MONTHLY income upon retirement will vary between only $1000 (US social security for life) and $5000 (in a good year for US stocks). Assuming a conservative 6% average annual return on stock investments, my monthly income should amount to at least $2250 (72,000 baht). But that can dip below 65,000 baht sometimes.

Thanks in advance.

Happened to a friend here in Udon Thani a few years ago. His wife withdrew funds from the wrong account, it was a few days before the mistake was found and corrected.

Bottom line, the Immigration office gave him an interim extension to cover the additional time required to gain the three month requirement. No big deal other than to cost him an additional 1900 baht.

Thats what happened to me as well....Dont worry, they just extend your extension until the money has been in long enough.

Excuse my ignorance: If I maintain 800,000 baht in a Thai bank throughout the year, is there still a need to show a steady income of 65,000 baht per month ?

My MONTHLY income upon retirement will vary between only $1000 (US social security for life) and $5000 (in a good year for US stocks). Assuming a conservative 6% average annual return on stock investments, my monthly income should amount to at least $2250 (72,000 baht). But that can dip below 65,000 baht sometimes.

Thanks in advance.

Just showing the bank account is all that you will need. You will need to have or show ANY INCOME.

Cheers.

Is that legit? Several accounts with amounts adding up to more than 800 ?

Yes.

But the sums must still be seasoned.

It's more complicated and obviously simper to use just one but have been told multiple times it is OK to use multiple.

Obviously if there's evidence of hanky panky ... such as transfers between the accounts to give an appearance of a larger sum that won't work.

Edited by Jingthing

Many people including me spend off that account during the year and top it up as needed. During the seasoning period, it needs to be watched carefully.

why wouldnt you just apply for a secondary account and not have the issues you describe in a later post. hardly rocket science.

Many people including me spend off that account during the year and top it up as needed. During the seasoning period, it needs to be watched carefully.

why wouldnt you just apply for a secondary account and not have the issues you describe in a later post. hardly rocket science.

What I have done isn't rocket science either. There are many ways to skin a chicken, old friend.

So the money in mixed accounts is legit as long as its over 800k in total?

Yes. I extend at the main complex in Bangkok. I have a fixed term deposit account of 500K and a savings account which I top up so that the total is more than 800K for three months before I extend.

Take the 800k baht card out of your wallet and never use it???????

Er no,

IMO, better to unlink the account from the ATM card.

Have a different account linked to the card.

Only put "running money" in the ATM account.

This way there can be no accidental withdrawals and the risk of ATM fraud is drastically reduced.

ATM cards cost money to get and maintain at Kasikorn, probably the same at other banks.

So what's the point of having a card that you never use?

Happy to hear in this case the officer accepted that the money issue was fixed the same day and that was adequate. In case it happens to you regardless of any preventative tactics, it's good to know that you can try to fix it same day and it seems it will probably work.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes. I extend at the main complex in Bangkok. I have a fixed term deposit account of 500K and a savings account which I top up so that the total is more than 800K for three months before I extend.

Please give more details of the account type.

I am under the impression that the funds must be in a liquid account type so you can get the money instantly.

If the funds are tied up, do they still qualify?

I tied up funds in a 5 month account and it becomes available 4 months before I extend.

I planned to transfer the funds to a liquid account and keep them there for the qualifying period.

Also, I got a letter from the bank, cost 100b, to give to imm along with the copy of the bank book (and sight of the original).

Is this all necessary too?

My 800K is in a fixed term account, no ATM card for that account, that money sits there year after year just for Thai immigration.

I have other accounts for day-to-day stuff and international money transfers.

Of course you keep a lot over 800K in it if being used for spending!

Three months spending, that is.

But stuff happens and it can get close going towards the time of application depending on how much over is in it.

Like if you've got 12K over and you spazz out and press for a 20K withdrawal. Ooops!

Two accounts....DEFINATELY the way to go.

--------------------

If you have a U.S, Social Security and your monthly Social Security check is direct deposited into Bangkok Bank, then 2 separate accounts is the REQUIRED way to go.

That is not a Bangkok Bank ruling, it is a U.S, Social Security ruling.

They will not allow an ATM/debit card on the account they do a direct deposit to.

The U.S. Social Security requires you must have a 2nd account to transfer funds to for your living expenses and they will only allow a ATM/debit card on that 2nd account

Sorry but you are definately wrong.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Please give more details of the account type.

I am under the impression that the funds must be in a liquid account type so you can get the money instantly.

If the funds are tied up, do they still qualify?

I tied up funds in a 5 month account and it becomes available 4 months before I extend.

I planned to transfer the funds to a liquid account and keep them there for the qualifying period.

Also, I got a letter from the bank, cost 100b, to give to imm along with the copy of the bank book (and sight of the original).

Is this all necessary too?

[quote name="TSF" post="8793868" timestamp="1418376411"

There is no need for the money to be available, but in any case I think that it is with a penalty of loss of interest if you don't leave it a full year. I am with Bangkok Bank they have a branch at Immigration, charge 100 for the letter and done while you wait. Your system seems complicated.

• Like 1

I had a hospital withdraw 100k from my bank as a 'sureity' while I was unconcious.

I spoke to them 3 days later and they redeposited it.

I went to Phuket Immigration and explained what happened to the boss who said not to worry about it and just insist the bank give me my declaration , no matter the facts.

I did , and the bank didnt bat an eyelid.

Immigration accepted the bank letter , plus photocopies of my passbook that showed that I went under 800k without comment.

• Like 1

That will depent on the immigration office, but you should be fine.

Just explain it to the officer when questioned and point out the daily amount was not below 800,000 baht.

Good luck explaining, as Thailand could care less about an explanation ,as the do what they want.?

Thanks in advance.

Just showing the bank account is all that you will need. You will need to have or show ANY INCOME.

Cheers.

Thanks for that.

Do you recommend hiring Thai immigration lawyers to start out? Or is it easy enough to establish retirement by oneself?

Just imagine the outcry if we were to insist that foreigners had £16,000 in their account before we allowed them to stay in England.

Of course, if they are married to a national (or even anyone from a EU country Eg. Latvia), they ONLY needed £8,000,

H Y P O C R I T I C A L and total C R A P !!!

Went to retirement extension yesterday. It is alright, got another year extension. As advice from Mario2008, I explain it to the officer that the daily amount was not below 800,000 baht.

Mario 2008, thanks a lotwai.gif

Simple solution getting married asap, then you have to show only 400.000.

Problem solved clap2.gif

If your American or Australian you don't need the 800K just go to

Your embassy and get a letter of income . It's 600baht at the Aussie not sure how much at the U.S. I think you can also do if you UK person but I am not 100% sure on that.

All embassies provide such letter, but each sets its own rules for issuing the letter. Most require proof of your income.

A similar thing happened to me. My fixed deposit savings account was upgraded three weeks prior to my visa extension. I did not notice that the total amount was then 2,000 baht short of the 800k until a couple of days later. I immediately contacted my embassy and got an affidavit confirming my pension. I also prepared paperwork to change to a marriage visa if necessary. My Kap Choeng immigration office raised an eyebrow to the 800k shortfall but were quite happy when they saw the pension income affidavit. They also asked if I would like to change to a marriage visa but I declined. They were helpful as always.