Thailand Elite, the "other" perks...

The remaining Thailand Elite haters on this forum must feel rather frustrated that their (countless times repeated) arguments against the program do not convince anyone but themselves (In the case they are indeed convinced by their own rant).

It must be very hard for them to read that early members of what they sometimes call "a disaster" are still enjoying a happy and easy life in Thailand since over a decade. And without interruption.

They must find it even harder to read that many more people are joining the program and are equally happy about their choice. Each new membership must be a blow for the haters.

The haters must certainly be enraged that the Thailand Elite visa has been upgraded from SE (Special Entry) to PE (Privileged Entry).

The fact that Thailand Elite members receive a 1 year (extendable) stamp must probably be an unbearable thought for those who try so hard to discredit the program and its members since years.

All those haters who were once rejoicing when one side of the political game tried - unsuccessfully - to shut down the program must be horrified to see that the ones who run the program nowadays are the ones who were once against it.

I could imagine the face of the haters if I say how many times I used the complementary limousines of Thailand Elite in 11 years of membership. In fact I used the limos so often that I could not make the count.

Fortunately I never used the golf or spa privileges, otherwise it would have been another pill hard to swallow for the haters.

Now that members receive invitation for free cruises on luxury yachts, invitations at super cars events, or such type of events, it must certainly tickle the nerves of the haters.

Not that the Thailand Elite members need such upscale invitations to be happy, but still, it's nice to be invited to quality events.

We, Thailand Elite members posting on this forum, understand that not everyone is trying to discredit the program.

Many non-Thailand Elite members are in fact very positive about the program and recommend it to fellow posters or readers of this forum.

Some, however try very hard - hopefully unsuccessfully - to hurt the program with any kind of silly arguments.

So, I am quite happy that members come on these threads to share some real facts in the conversations.

We also understand that not everyone who criticizes the program "can't afford it..or is jealous".

Some obviously prefer other options, without being jealous of the convenience that Thailand Elite members can enjoy.

We also understand that "some on here pay more than the Thailand Elite fee for their children's international school fees each year"...

Nobody ever suggested the contrary.

But, it can also be assumed that some Thailand Elite members pay more than the Thailand Elite fee... just by refueling their yacht on a 5 day trip... for example.

This, however, does not suddenly create any uncontrollable desire, or desperate need, in the mind of such a Thailand Elite member to constantly criticize other people's choice...

Why would he?

There is no reason for it.

But then... Why do some non-Thailand Elite members feel the urge to constantly come back with their never ending identical "blah blah blah" to criticize other people's choice?

If it is not just jealousy and envy, what is it?

On the other hand, and as said very often already, the haters are very important in creating awareness about the Thailand Elite program.

They keep these threads alive and should be thanked (if not rewarded).

It's a group effort... Haters and Lovers united :)

So, as long as there will be Thailand Elite haters, there will be Thailand Elite lovers to counter their arguments... And that's the way it should be :)

I love Thailand Elite ;)

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Gerry, may I know why you call us, who don't agree with the scam scheme, haters ?

After all we also don't call you, who dumbed millions in a scam scheme who had its most attractive privilege ( owning land) among much others withdrawn very quickly, losers.

• Like 1

Gerry, may I know why you call us, who don't agree with the scam scheme, haters ?

After all we also don't call you, who dumbed millions in a scam scheme who had its most attractive privilege ( owning land) among much others withdrawn very quickly, losers.

I think we owe you a reward :)

The main privilege is the five-year visa, which has not been affected. All the other stuff (the massages, the airport dollies, yacht charter, golf, etc) are a nice marketing wrapper, and make the service more attractive as a package, but can nevertheless be purchased elsewhere separately, or together thorough a concierge service, at reasonable prices here in Thailand.

I think that most non-working people would buy a TE card if they could. The alternatives (ED/Partner/Retirement/visa runs) are becoming more and more inconvenient, humiliating even, and need to be renewed much more often.

The main privilege is the five-year visa, which has not been affected. All the other stuff (the massages, the airport dollies, yacht charter, golf, etc) are a nice marketing wrapper, and make the service more attractive as a package, but can nevertheless be purchased elsewhere separately, or together thorough a concierge service, at reasonable prices here in Thailand.

I think that most non-working people would buy a TE card if they could. The alternatives (ED/Partner/Retirement/visa runs) are becoming more and more inconvenient, humiliating even, and need to be renewed much more often.

The main privilege was the land ownership, don't try to fool us, because at the time of launch one could have as many tourist visas as he liked and got 30 days on arrival at landborders. So why should he spend 1 million Baht for it at that time

The main privilege was the land ownership, don't try to fool us, because at the time of launch one could have as many tourist visas as he liked and got 30 days on arrival at landborders. So why should he spend 1 million Baht for it at that time

That may well be true about one or two posters here, who knows? However, I'm just talking in general terms as to why one would want to buy a card nowadays. Land ownership may not be on the cards any more, but the visa alone is worth 500k to a lot of people here, these days, I suspect.

• Like 1

I have a plug for the Banking... Most Westerners are considered "Non-Residents" and cannot get an interest bearing account in Thailand... TE sent me an email stating that with TE membership, you are able to get the interest at Bangkok Bank smile.png not big but something wink.png

Currently 0.50% vs 0.00% tongue.png

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/DepositRates.aspx

I have a plug for the Banking... Most Westerners are considered "Non-Residents" and cannot get an interest bearing account in Thailand... TE sent me an email stating that with TE membership, you are able to get the interest at Bangkok Bank smile.png not big but something wink.png

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/WebServices/Rates/Pages/DepositRates.aspx

I think the only bank that does not pay interest on accounts opened by foreigners is Krung Thai bank.

All the others have been doing it for years.

• Like 1

Thailand elite hater here.

I must admit I gave a Thai elite visa a thought. I am renting my condo in Canada on which I still owe the mortgage, so it costs me quite a bit of money every month. I am renting it so I get $1275 from the tenant. Five years that is $76,500....a fraction of Thailand elite cost. I live rent free in my gf house. However after comparing the hassle of same 90 day reporting and no other true benefits I decided to get married in march. The cost is less and the money will go towards both of us, not government coffers.

• Like 1

Gerry, can you pls sign the digital pikeys (esp DigitalNoclue, er, Nomade) up to the Thailand Elite program ? Apparently they arent short of a quid so the fee shouldnt be an issue - I believe several of them already own yachts - sorry motor yachts - and Lambos, so they'll fit right in at the next Learjet convention in BKK.

For Members using the Airport for the first time using their TE Card here is the Premium Lane. :)

I'm sorry to inform you but you're really not that premium or privileged or whatever you feel when you look at your card; anyone flying business class gets to use this lane. I assume all you privileged people fly business or first class on your travels already so this membership benefit seems superfluous. Of course, they do have the carts to take your lazy butts directly to the lounge or gate. Maybe that's worth 500k or 2M baht.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

For Members using the Airport for the first time using their TE Card here is the Premium Lane. :)

I'm sorry to inform you but you're really not that premium or privileged or whatever you feel when you look at your card; anyone flying business class gets to use this lane. I assume all you privileged people fly business or first class on your travels already so this membership benefit seems superfluous. Of course, they do have the carts to take your lazy butts directly to the lounge or gate. Maybe that's worth 500k or 2M baht.
The TE visa worth the price alone. All the the other perks just a bonus. No visa hassles for 5 or 20 years? Priceless. :) Love Thailand. Edited by bim
  • Like 1

For Members using the Airport for the first time using their TE Card here is the Premium Lane. smile.png

The TE visa worth the price alone. All the the other perks just a bonus. No visa hassles for 5 or 20 years? Priceless. smile.png Love Thailand.

If you're under 45 with no job/wife and want to hang-out in Thailand visiting temples and hill tribe peoples I agree. Just don't flog how great the other pretty much useless bennies are. For all that other stuff, it's probably cheaper to just buy what you want/need ala carte.

I fly first class and, with my charming Thailand Elite assistant who waits for me at the gate, I am always faster than anyone else :)

Other first class passengers (on Thai) also have assistance on arrival, but they have to share the "golf carts". With Thailand Elite I don't share and don't have to wait for others.

I really enjoy that great service.

I can't imagine how happy I would be if I was flying business instead of first. For those flying business, the Thailand Elite airport assistance must be even more valuable...

By the way, depending on the time of arrival at Suvarnabhumi, the Thailand Elite attendant will select the quickest channel to clear immigration. Sometimes it will be the premium lane, on quiet days when there is no queue. Other times it will be the diplomatic channel.

They are very well organized to make you exit the airport in a record time. That is for sure ;)

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Gerry, can you pls sign the digital pikeys (esp DigitalNoclue, er, Nomade) up to the Thailand Elite program ? Apparently they arent short of a quid so the fee shouldnt be an issue - I believe several of them already own yachts - sorry motor yachts - and Lambos, so they'll fit right in at the next Learjet convention in BKK.

I would be happy to recommend Thailand Elite to anyone who has enough funds, basic (good) education, and a minimum of (good) manners... That excludes already quite a few ;)

• Like 1

For Members using the Airport for the first time using their TE Card here is the Premium Lane. smile.png

I fly first class and, with my charming Thailand Elite assistant who waits for me at the gate, I am always faster than anyone else smile.png

Other first class passengers (on Thai) also have assistance on arrival, but they have to share the "golf carts". With Thailand Elite I don't share and don't have to wait for others.

I really enjoy that great service.

I can't imagine how happy I would be if I was flying business instead of first. For those flying business, the Thailand Elite airport assistance must be even more valuable...

I'm very happy you're happy you don't have to share your airport cart with your fellow first class passengers. Unfortunately, I haven't reached that exalted status and as only a business class passenger actually have to walk to my lounge. However, the one benefit this does give me is I can (and will the next time I'm at Swampy and see a TE cart heading my way) step in front of the cart and impede it's travel...if only momentarily now that I realize the kind of tools who buy these cards :)

Ah ah :)

You are really passionate about this subject :)

• Like 1

The TE visa worth the price alone. All the the other perks just a bonus. No visa hassles for 5 or 20 years? Priceless. smile.png Love Thailand.

If you're under 45 with no job/wife and want to hang-out in Thailand visiting temples and hill tribe peoples I agree. Just don't flog how great the other pretty much useless bennies are. For all that other stuff, it's probably cheaper to just buy what you want/need ala carte.
I am under 45 with no job but do have a lovely wife. I do visit temples. Im spiritual like that. I would never make anyone feel useless. You cant make someone feel what they already are. I love the freedom TE gives me without the usual hassles, as many post daily on here with other visas, and think its a price worth paying to stay in a country I love. The price afterall to stay in my home country far exceed what the TE visa costs. My home country is not what it was and fell out of love with it many years ago. Thailand makes me feel welcome and feel blessed to be here. My wife always jokes I must have been in Thai in my last life. That beside it seams not one of the ditractors of the TE scheme has come up with one reasonble or even accurate reason not to have one if you have the funds. Thanks Mr OMGIminPattaya. OMG Thank God im not if the expats that live there are as bitter as yourself. Good luck and wish you well. :)
  • Like 1

I am under 45 with no job but do have a lovely wife. I do visit temples. Im spiritual like that. I would never make anyone feel useless. You cant make someone feel what they already are. I love the freedom TE gives me without the usual hassles, as many post daily on here with other visas, and think its a price worth paying to stay in a country I love. The price afterall to stay in my home country far exceed what the TE visa costs. My home country is not what it was and fell out of love with it many years ago. Thailand makes me feel welcome and feel blessed to be here. My wife always jokes I must have been in Thai in my last life. That beside it seams not one of the ditractors of the TE scheme has come up with one reasonble or even accurate reason not to have one if you have the funds. Thanks Mr OMGIminPattaya. OMG Thank God im not if the expats that live there are as bitter as yourself. Good luck and wish you well. smile.png

So since you're married, what are the advantages of a 500.000 Baht TE visa over a 1900 Baht marriage visa?

Don't tell us it's the sitting on the golf cart.

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 1

I am under 45 with no job but do have a lovely wife. I do visit temples. Im spiritual like that. I would never make anyone feel useless. You cant make someone feel what they already are. I love the freedom TE gives me without the usual hassles, as many post daily on here with other visas, and think its a price worth paying to stay in a country I love. The price afterall to stay in my home country far exceed what the TE visa costs. My home country is not what it was and fell out of love with it many years ago. Thailand makes me feel welcome and feel blessed to be here. My wife always jokes I must have been in Thai in my last life. That beside it seams not one of the ditractors of the TE scheme has come up with one reasonble or even accurate reason not to have one if you have the funds. Thanks Mr OMGIminPattaya. OMG Thank God im not if the expats that live there are as bitter as yourself. Good luck and wish you well. smile.png

So since you're married, what are the advantages of a 500.000 TE visa over a 1900 Baht marriage visa?

By himself...remember, they don't have to share :)

• Like 2

Hilarious thread - a tiny corner or the net that is playing out a microcosm of the class war that we see in everyday life: the dynamics of envy versus pride.

Keep it up guys - and I'm sure that Gerry is having a laugh winding you all up with his boasting about ostentatious marketing baubles.

Gerry does have a very good point on the visa though -- all you envious types know that you want a card, while you queue up to sit through those humiliating immigration interviews with often rude officials, only to repeat the whole process just a year later. I've been there myself, before TE existed, and wouldn't have hesitated to buy my way into a 5 year visa had they existed back then.

Hats off to Gerry while he enjoys his TE privileges - after all, we all like a little pampering, and he seems very satisfied with what he has the right to pay for and enjoy. Gerry should also try to be a little more humble, and not flaunt his wealth so as to invite envy, this being a trait of the truly successful in life.

• Like 2

Hilarious thread - a tiny corner or the net that is playing out a microcosm of the class war that we see in everyday life: the dynamics of envy versus pride.

Keep it up guys - and I'm sure that Gerry is having a laugh winding you all up with his boasting about ostentatious marketing baubles.

Gerry does have a very good point on the visa though -- all you envious types know that you want a card, while you queue up to sit through those humiliating immigration interviews with often rude officials, only to repeat the whole process just a year later. I've been there myself, before TE existed, and wouldn't have hesitated to buy my way into a 5 year visa had they existed back then.

Hats off to Gerry while he enjoys his TE privileges - after all, we all like a little pampering, and he seems very satisfied with what he has the right to pay for and enjoy. Gerry should also try to be a little more humble, and not flaunt his wealth so as to invite envy, this being a trait of the truly successful in life.

I think many can agree that for younger cash-up foreigners who want to live in Thailand without working or marrying and don't wan't any of the usual visa hassles, the TPE program is a viable option. As for all the other bells and whistles, well, anyone can just purchase these separately as needed. I'm about to turn 50 so it doesn't make any sense for me. If I was 30 or 40 I would consider it. The only benefit besides the visa that interests me are the airport privileges and flying business class I get all that plus a lounge except the personal shuttle cart. If someone isn't flying business, they can also purchase the airport meet and greet fast track services for about 3000 baht in/out.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

So since you're married, what are the advantages of a 500.000 Baht TE visa over a 1900 Baht marriage visa?

Because I can. Its called freedom of choice. Is that OK with you? Nope dont play golf. Why jump through hoops when you can walk in and out of CW in 10 minutes with a multi entry visa. Well worth every penny. :)
  • Like 1

I think the only bank that does not pay interest on accounts opened by foreigners is Krung Thai bank.

All the others have been doing it for years.

Thanks Ubonjoe... I see where my thoughts were flawed... I have never had a work permit in Thailand and maybe be why Bangkok Bank did not give me a Interest Account before. OR like many things here, rules are interpretedblink.png and I need to go fix it asap wink.pngfacepalm.gif

I believe they classify all non-thai as non-residents by default because is fits same as the column but wording is used wrong... Now reading it about 5 times... If you are Just visiting, you are a non-resident... if you are living here = resident... but terms are getting crossed surely... So argh....saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCdW09GY8hG

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

"Non-Resident Baht Account

A non-Resident Baht account may be useful if you plan to transfer funds to Thailand for investment purposes and intend to repatriate your funds in the future. Transactions are recorded in accordance with Bank of Thailand regulations. Please note, this account is not appropriate for daily use as all transactions are manual and can only be made at the Head Office branch on Silom Road, Bangkok." == sure they mistook my status at the branch that is not Head Office 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-LbP_e

Edited by ThailandRick

How many times does it have to be said the visa aspect of this club has never had an issue for its members from the start and through all the BS that has beset Thailand up to the present day.

I think that I will have to be said again and again (and again) (and...) till the Thailand Elite haters have enough savings to buy themselves a membership wink.png

25+ years with never a visa problem.

How many times does it have to be said the visa aspect of this club has never had an issue for its members from the start and through all the BS that has beset Thailand up to the present day.

I think that I will have to be said again and again (and again) (and...) till the Thailand Elite haters have enough savings to buy themselves a membership wink.png

15 years here...and all that time under 50, non-working and non-married :)

But the rules have progressively gotten stricter so for the younger non-working non-married crowd, it may be the best way to go now if they have the funds.

15 years here...and all that time under 50, non-working and non-married smile.png

But the rules have progressively gotten stricter so for the younger non-working non-married crowd, it may be the best way to go now if they have the funds.

I went the visa run > marriage visa > work visa > PR > citizenship route.

> Citizenship involved lots of paperwork with very nice officials, but unending waiting not knowing whether I'd get it or not

> PR also involved lots of paperwork with polite officials - got it the year after I applied (1997)

> The work visa was no problem, because I had other people do the applications for me. All I had to do was show my face

> Marriage visa was humiliating, and the officials were often rude, and seemed to enjoy giving me the run around for ever changing requirements

> Visa runs were fun the first couple of times, I used to take the train to Penang with a friend - lots of beer on the train. Once the novelty wore off, however, they were dreadfully boring. Penang was the only place you could go overland - Laos and Cambodia were closed in those days. As my financial situation improved, I started flying to Singapore, and other countries in the region, staying in nice hotels, which was a lot more fun. That said, I was also never sure whether I'd be refused entry, or refused a visa and have to enter visa free for a shorter period. I never had a visa refused, but I did sometimes only get a single entry - I always applied for triples. Now refusals seem to happen a lot.

Had a TE visa been available during the visa run / marriage visa days, I'd have applied for it. Five years is long enough to forget about visas altogether.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1