Thailand Elite, the "other" perks...

It should not be a problem to get a 5 year license people on tourist visas have gotten them. At many offices it is just the difference of having a certificate of residence from immigration instead of one from your embassy.

I am on the PE visa and have the 1 year license and was told I can swap for the 5 year one when it expires. My certificate of residence was obtained from my local Amphoe and it has to specify it is for a driving licence. They keep the original copy of the certificate when you get the licence. I had a full UK licence and also got my Bike licence at the same time. Really easy process that took all of 1/2 hour. All the Amphoe asked for was my wifes blue book and a statement from her and the head of my Moo that I lived here. That took longer to get than the driving licence but all worth it in the end.
So we need a certificate of residence to get an elite visa? what form does that have to be and how to get? what if living in a condo with another person who rents that condo?I need to know the exact documentation needed for applying for elite visa because a friend wants to apply soon.

That is to get a drivers license not the Elite membership and PE visa.

The best way to get the requirements and application form is to contact them. http://www.thailandelite.com/contact.php

Thanks, Gerry the 20k per year doesn't bother me, and I guess in 20 years there will be some other program around.

The Thai 5 year DL does bother me but I asked at the DL issuing center and there isn't a conspiracy or any thing like that, it's just when the DL issuing act was written these program didn't exist and the visa type wasn't included in the regulations. It's a case of because it isn't specified as being eligible then they can't issue a 5 year license against it.

I renewed my first 1 year driving license in December and they gave me a 5 year license.

I didn't specifically request it, that's just what they gave me. I did use a certificate of residence issued by immigration which I picked up a couple of days before when I did my 90 day report.

From what I've pieced together from reading the forums the policy appears to be set at each of the Land Transport offices by whoever's in charge and some of them are much more friendly than others.

There's two of these offices near to where I live in Hua Hin, I go to the one just past Cha Am in Phetchaburi Province.

I suspect my experience might have been very different if I went to the Pranburi office but we'll never know...

Back to "other" perks:

When I departed CNX the other day, the immigration officer, after seeing what visa I was travelling on, stood up from his chair and gave me a wai.

It remembers me the officer who insisted to shake my hand at the Maesai border.

He then went on chatting for a few minutes with me, while the queue of visa runners was getting longer and longer behind me. My two visiting friends, who were in front of me and had already passed the check point were wondering where I was staying.

It was a bit embarrassing, especially with all the eyes of the visa runners on me...

Very nice immigration officer, very pleasant conversation. But now, when some friends want to go to the market in Tachilek, I let them go alone ;)

It should not be a problem to get a 5 year license people on tourist visas have gotten them. At many offices it is just the difference of having a certificate of residence from immigration instead of one from your embassy.

I am on the PE visa and have the 1 year license and was told I can swap for the 5 year one when it expires. My certificate of residence was obtained from my local Amphoe and it has to specify it is for a driving licence. They keep the original copy of the certificate when you get the licence. I had a full UK licence and also got my Bike licence at the same time. Really easy process that took all of 1/2 hour. All the Amphoe asked for was my wifes blue book and a statement from her and the head of my Moo that I lived here. That took longer to get than the driving licence but all worth it in the end.
So we need a certificate of residence to get an elite visa? what form does that have to be and how to get? what if living in a condo with another person who rents that condo?I need to know the exact documentation needed for applying for elite visa because a friend wants to apply soon.
No need to get that certificate of residence for Thai Elite, they just ask for your address as postal

I have opted for the 5 years as i never played golf snd rarely have spa, my interest is more for the 5 years visa as i was on retirement and had to renew every year with multiple entries cost me quite an amount as it was done through an agent, also with the 5 years there is no need to pay the 20k every year. I only once used the limousine on arrival it is a very good experience when you are alone but not when you are accompagnied particularly with a Thai wife or family; it can cause some embarassement when you have to use the fast track. On departure only the member is allowed in the CIP lounge for free ; here at least you can pay for them to get access.

I have opted for the 5 years as i never played golf snd rarely have spa, my interest is more for the 5 years visa as i was on retirement and had to renew every year with multiple entries cost me quite an amount as it was done through an agent, also with the 5 years there is no need to pay the 20k every year. I only once used the limousine on arrival it is a very good experience when you are alone but not when you are accompagnied particularly with a Thai wife or family; it can cause some embarassement when you have to use the fast track. On departure only the member is allowed in the CIP lounge for free ; here at least you can pay for them to get access.

The Thailand Elite PE visa is indeed the most valuable benefit of being a member.

If your main concern was to have a convenient visa, you made the good choice with the Easy Access option.

I think you are right about the airport assistance.

If you travel with your family it may not be of great help, since you probably want to stay with them.

On my side, I always travel alone and I am a rather heavy user of the airport services... I love it :)

Enjoy your membership ;)

The Thailand Elite PE visa is indeed the most valuable benefit of being a member.

If your main concern was to have a convenient visa, you made the good choice with the Easy Access option.

If you travel with your family it may not be of great help, since you probably want to stay with them.

On my side, I always travel alone and I am a rather heavy user of the airport services... I love it smile.png

Enjoy your membership wink.png

I think that the service would be much more useful if it included, say, accompanying immediate family or one guest?

It's a bit rough expecting your spouse and kids to walk to immigration and join the queuing proletariat, while the TE holder rides the golf cart, is whisked through the fast lane, and then waits for them in the limo. After all, the fast lane and golf cart are not expensive to provide in a country like Thailand.

Or is there another membership option that solves this problem?

On my side, I always travel alone and I am a rather heavy user of the airport services... I love it smile.png

I think that the service would be much more useful if it included, say, accompanying immediate family or one guest?

It's a bit rough expecting your spouse and kids to walk to immigration and join the queuing proletariat, while the TE holder rides the golf cart, is whisked through the fast lane, and then waits for them in the limo. After all, the fast lane and golf cart are not expensive to provide in a country like Thailand.

There is the "family membership".

If you have a full membership (2 million), your wife can be member for only one million.

A foreign wife, of course.

For Thai wives... I don't think it would work.

But the suggestion should be thought about by the Thailand Elite managers.

Everything comes at a cost though...

Edited by gerry1011

If you have a full membership (2 million), your wife can be member for only one million.

Gerry just a thought but my wife has dual Thai / UK citizenship. Can she still apply? Edited by bim

Gerry just a thought but my wife has dual Thai / UK citizenship. Can she still apply?

If she can it would be very convenient... Indeed ;)

• Like 1

Just back from a long flight...

The Thailand Elite golden girl was waiting for me at the gate...

The immigration was super fast...

And here I am in the BMW limo en route to my place...

Perfect !

I can't think about anything better than a Thailand Elite welcome at Suvarnabhumi.

post-12654-14237871944175_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 2

You paid thb500k for a 5year visa against a yearly charge via a agent who did it for thb20k/year?

You throw away thb400k.

You paid thb500k for a 5year visa against a yearly charge via a agent who did it for thb20k/year?

You throw away thb400k.

He was referring to the 20k baht annual fee if you get the 20 year elite membership verses none for the 5 year membership.

You throw away thb400k.

Uh?

That's a new type of "calculation", apparently. Never saw that one. Thanks for sharing :)

By the way, personally I have a 20 years card. You know? The one at 2 million ;)

And I think it is a great deal :)

Oh, and also, speaking about "throwing money", I just threw away 1458 Euro (54,000b) for a 125gr of beluga that I ate alone in the plane... Not that cheap, but delicious :)

Money is very easy to throw away, but when it comes to Thailand Elite I think that it is more of a good buy ;)

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

You throw away thb400k.

Uh?

That's a new type of "calculation", apparently. Never saw that one. Thanks for sharing :)

By the way, personally I have a 20 years card. You know? The one at 2 million ;)

Oh, and also, speaking about "throwing money", I just threw away 1458 Euro (54,000b) for a 125gr of beluga that I ate alone in the plane... Not that cheap, but delicious :)

Money is very easy to throw away, but when it comes to Thailand Elite I think that it is more of a good buy ;)

Easy to say; it depends on what you have in mind and how long you think you are going to live when you reach a certain age ! My calculation brought me to 2035 if i went for the 20 years. So many things can happen...

You throw away thb400k.

Uh?

Easy to say; it depends on what you have in mind and how long you think you are going to live when you reach a certain age ! My calculation brought me to 2035 if i went for the 20 years. So many things can happen...
I think Gerrys point is for him and many of us that use the TE visa the cost vs convience of using the visa is a no brainer. To pay 20,000 bht to some agent when you can obtain a visa yourself sounds like a waste of money to me and sounds a little dodgy to me. Im not sure why you worry how others choose to spend there money. For me it was a life saver as I am not old enough for a retirement visa and despite it being my only option now I would still consider renewing after retirement age because it is so easy to use. A real piece of mind worth every penny to us who use it. Edited by bim

You throw away thb400k.

Uh?

I think Gerrys point is for him and many of us that use the TE visa the cost vs convience of using the visa is a no brainer. To pay 20,000 bht to some agent when you can obtain a visa yourself sounds like a waste of money to me and sounds a little dodgy to me. Im not sure why you worry how others choose to spend there money. For me it was a life saver as I am not old enough for a retirement visa and despite it being my only option now I would still consider renewing after retirement age because it is so easy to use. A real piece of mind worth every penny to us who use it.

You can obtain the visa yourself at 1,900 THB but it takes you a longer time and hassle when you dont live continuously in Thailand and have to move in and out , you have to apply at the same time for a multiple entries morover you have to renew your visa near by the time it is going to expire which is not always easy to fly there each time at the specific time which also cost you money and take your time when you are busy elsewhere. With a retirement you cannot do any buisiness nor apply for a work permit where as with a T.E the assistance you get is valuable and you feel more confident that you dont have to rely on a gf or any other which could cost you more in the long run. Finally the T.E cost you 500k isnt? you should calculate for 5 years the average cost of your fare+agent fees at each visa renewal.

You throw away thb400k.

Uh?

I think Gerrys point is for him and many of us that use the TE visa the cost vs convience of using the visa is a no brainer. To pay 20,000 bht to some agent when you can obtain a visa yourself sounds like a waste of money to me and sounds a little dodgy to me. Im not sure why you worry how others choose to spend there money. For me it was a life saver as I am not old enough for a retirement visa and despite it being my only option now I would still consider renewing after retirement age because it is so easy to use. A real piece of mind worth every penny to us who use it.

You can obtain the visa yourself at 1,900 THB but it takes you a longer time and hassle when you dont live continuously in Thailand and have to move in and out , you have to apply at the same time for a multiple entries morover you have to renew your visa near by the time it is going to expire which is not always easy to fly there each time at the specific time which also cost you money and take your time when you are busy elsewhere. With a retirement you cannot do any buisiness nor apply for a work permit where as with a T.E the assistance you get is valuable and you feel more confident that you dont have to rely on a gf or any other which could cost you more in the long run. Finally the T.E cost you 500k isnt? you should calculate for 5 years the average cost of your fare+agent fees at each visa renewal.

Interesting. Then I am pleased for your choice. I can come and go as often as I please or stay as long as I wish with the TE visa. And yes I did factor the cost. Its less than I was paying in council tax alone in the UK. I am retired but not over 50. Have no need for a work permit as I dont work nor a marrage to stay in this wonderful country. Living the dream. Sorry you didnt mention what visa you are on. Edited by bim

You throw away thb400k.

where and how to get a TE for 20k via an agent ? Surely not possible, what agency is putting up huge amounts of money in your name?

You throw away thb400k.

where and how to get a TE for 20k via an agent ? Surely not possible, what agency is putting up huge amounts of money in your name?

I believe he's referring to the 20k yearly fee which you need to pay on the 20 year TE membership, this fee is not payable on the 5 year TE membership, hence the reduced membership benefits.

TE memberships start at 500k Baht for for the 5 year 'Easy Access' option, there are some other options up to the 2 Million Baht 20 year membership.

There is no way around this.

Edited by ukrules

• 1 month later...

In the latest Thailand Elite Newsletter, it is written that the Premium Lane for the international flights has been "upgraded".

See picture attached.

Any member who arrived/departed on an international flight in Phuket can tell us what it is about?

Or, is it going to come together with the new airport terminal?

post-12654-14278034366839_thumb.jpgpost-12654-14278034519351_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

What is "12 month entry"?If have a 5 year elite card can we stay in Thailand anytime within 5 years and leave for travel needing a re-entry permit?

Indeed.

As a member, you receive a PE visa (Privileged Entry).

Each time you enter the country you receive a stamp valid for one year.

Every time you go out of the country and in again, you are stamped for one year.

You can go in and out as many times as you want. No need for re entry permit.

If you stay more than three month in the country, you just have to do the 90 day reports, as with any other visa. This may change in the future and there may not be any 90 day report to do anymore.

If you stay one full year in the country, you can extend your stamp without the need to leave the country.

Highly convenient.

If they knock out that 90 day reporting requirement then that might put me over the edge to get the 5 year Elite. I can qualify for retirement but I am willing to pay for ease and convenience and much less paperwork. The cost differences are still leaning me towards my plan to get a nominal Retirement type of visa. Will a Retirement visa get me unlimited ins and outs with no re entry permit needed? That is not quite clear to me but could be the deciding factor.

Will a Retirement visa get me unlimited ins and outs with no re entry permit needed? That is not quite clear to me but could be the deciding factor.

You probably mean a retirement extension of stay. Need a multl re-entry permit, cost Bt 3,800.