What is wrong with this post?

Anthony5

Let me first say that the following ONLY appears when quoting the following post and another post with 4 nested quotes from the same poster earlier in the same thread. All other posts with nested quotes in the same thread don't behave similar.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781591-koh-tao-thai-court-charges-pair-over-murders-of-british-backpackers/?p=8763667

So when I click on quote I get the following screen, notice that all other involved usernames have disappeared.

post-222439-0-47450800-1417781904_thumb.

Next when I remove only the fist quote, by highlighting the text and click backspace, I get the following result.

post-222439-0-69629800-1417781902_thumb.

Then when I start entering my post and click enter to continue to the next line of text, the whole post get completely messed up and it is impossible to complete the post.

Try editing the posts down using the BBcode Mode (the first 'icon' in the message header) and erase what's not relavent to your reply, then switch back to WYSIWYG mode by pressing the BBcode Mode icon again.

Also, if you do this, make sure to use Preview Post to make sure everything is enclosed correctly.

The major reason for my questions wasn't actually the problems with editing, but why this post and an earlier post from the same member in the same thread, appear like this while all other multiquote posts in the same thread appear normal. There must be something in the nested quotes that make this happen.

It probably has something to do with the post containing more quotes than allowed by the software (I believe only four quotes are allowed), but there is nothing wrong with the nested quotes. Yes, when you first quote the post it appears as you say:

post-5469-0-41716200-1417832364_thumb.jp

But if you then press the BBCode icon to go to simple text mode as suggested by RichCor, you can see the that he quote tags are correct. And if you toggle the BBCode mode back again, the post appears correct:

post-5469-0-36603900-1417832389_thumb.jp

So it seems that it's a forum software issue rather than an error in that particular post.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

It probably has something to do with the post containing more quotes than allowed by the software (I believe only four quotes are allowed), but there is nothing wrong with the nested quotes. Yes, when you first quote the post it appears as you say:

attachicon.gifKohTao post 1.jpg

But if you then press the BBCode icon to go to simple text mode as suggested by RichCor, you can see the that he quote tags are correct. And if you toggle the BBCode mode back again, the post appears correct:

attachicon.gifKoh Tao post 2.jpg

So it seems that it's a forum software issue rather than an error in that particular post.

Sophon

As I said, tried to quote other posts in the same thread which have more than the allowed quotes, and they all appear normal.

Sophon

As I said, tried to quote other posts in the same thread which have more than the allowed quotes, and they all appear normal.

But as you can see the post can be displayed correctly, so there is nothing inherently wrong with the post. It's probably just one of those bugs that only happens sometimes based on a number of factors, could be things such as the total number of characters in the quoted posts, the length of the header (user name etc.) or something completely different. Those kind of bugs can be quite difficult to correct, as they are not consistent.

Sophon

Sophon

But as you can see the post can be displayed correctly, so there is nothing inherently wrong with the post. It's probably just one of those bugs that only happens sometimes based on a number of factors, could be things such as the total number of characters in the quoted posts, the length of the header (user name etc.) or something completely different. Those kind of bugs can be quite difficult to correct, as they are not consistent.

Sophon

I didn't notice the screenshot in your previous post, so it seems that it is something in the post that interferes with my browser.

Sophon

Sophon

How does this post look to you ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781951-family-of-brits-murdered-in-thailand-say-evidence-convincing/?p=8766404

It looked fine initially, and still looks fine when I try to edit it, but doesn't look right on the forum in my browser.I feel it has something to do with the blue colored text in the post.

post-222439-0-07950400-1417842431_thumb.post-222439-0-45503400-1417842433_thumb.

Sophon

Your observation is correct. However, in both cases when you try to post a reply, thus making it five nested quotes, you will get the same message "You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text" and your post will not be accepted by the system. This is about posting on a PC; it may be different when posting with the app for handheld devices, eg Android or iOS app.

Reply to joebrown:

post-21260-0-44488400-1417863987_thumb.p

Reply to JohnThailandJohn

post-21260-0-43205900-1417863989_thumb.p

I do not know why, when you click on Quote, the post of jowbrown appears differently on the screen than the post of JohnThailandJohn does. My guess would be that they were not posted the same way, the first perhaps with the app or the mobile browser version, the other on a PC with the regular browser version.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781951-family-of-brits-murdered-in-thailand-say-evidence-convincing/?p=8766404

It looked fine initially, and still looks fine when I try to edit it, but doesn't look right on the forum in my browser.I feel it has something to do with the blue colored text in the post.

attachicon.gifKoh Tao 1.JPGattachicon.gifKoh Tao editing.JPG

I looks normal on my laptop with Windows 7 and Google Chrome browser. What are you using?

post-21260-0-98721700-1417866120_thumb.p

I looks normal on my laptop with Windows 7 and Google Chrome browser. What are you using?

attachicon.gifAnthony5 - 8766404.png

I'm using Windows 7 x64 with the latest version of Firefox, and since my last post it now has "recovered". So now the post looks fine again in my browser.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 with the latest version of Firefox, and since my last post it now has "recovered". So now the post looks fine again in my browser.

I've been having the same issue with Chrome, Win8.1 64 bit. I quote a post(s) and it looks fine. Later I look at it and it's messed up. Then later it looks fine again.

I'm posting this for George to assure it's happening with another browser/OS.

Sophon

One thing I've noticed when clicking the BBCode on and off is that you can't add text under the quotes. You need to some text (like "...") while in BBCode mode and then you can edit normally once out of BBCode mode.

I've been having the same issue with Chrome, Win8.1 64 bit. I quote a post(s) and it looks fine. Later I look at it and it's messed up. Then later it looks fine again.

George confirmed in another thread alrady that it's a software issue and are waiting for an update.

• Like 1

• Advanced Members
  • 884 posts

Posted Today, 06:56

[t-quote name=NeverSure" post="8772560" timestamp="1417974029]

[t-quote name=Anthony5" post="8767964" timestamp="1417866381]

[t-quote name=Maestro" post="8767950" timestamp="1417866143]

[t-quote name=Anthony5" post="8766516" timestamp="1417842444]

http://www.thaivisa....cing/?p=8766404

Koh Tao 1.JPGKoh Tao editing.JPG[/t-quote]

Anthony5 - 8766404.png
[/t-quote]

[/t-quote]

[/t-quote]

George confirmed in another thread alrady that it's a software issue and are waiting for an update.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So now I see this just above.