Family of Brits murdered in Thailand say evidence convincing

Lite Beer

JohnThailandJohn, on 14 Dec 2014 - 09:13, said:snapback.png

catsanddogs, on 14 Dec 2014 - 08:01, said:snapback.png

Despite DNA Evidence Koh Tao Police Commissioner says Key Witness says Foreigner Killed British Tourists
27th September from
http://www.chiangrai...h-tourists.html

and this report on the same day from National Multimedia;

Police commander Mamen (chief of the police Region 8 command) said investigation is 85% complete. He said the police probe was not complicated, adding that luck was on their side as leads and tip offs about the killers were coming in continuously.

???

Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Panya Mamen has now reported that police investigators have obtained a key witness who said foreigner killed the two British tourists in Koh Tao island. The Nation Online website quoted Pol Lt Gen Panya Manen as telling the online newspapers today that the team of police investigators have met a key witness who claimed seeing foreigner killed the two tourists ... if confirmed, will be a significant turn of the probe which earlier focused only on locals and migrant workers after DNA testing revealed the mixed semen found inside Ms Hannah Witheridge belonged to Asians.

So as it turns out they do have witnesses that will be testifying along with other evidence, including the dna match in their case against the two foreign Asian males

The term foreigners here is not referring to Burmese, but I can give you a hint who it is referring to if you can't work it out for yourself. Unfortunately your biased views on Burmese are now evident in the majority of your posts.

Gen Prayuth Chan-Ocha, the Thai junta leader and Prime Minister, tried to please Burmese citizen over Koh Tao murder case by urging the media not to call them Burmese, but to call them merely migrant workers. http://www.prachatai...glish/node/4398

Migrant workers Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo, formerly known as Win Zaw Tun, are accused of murdering 24-year-old David Miller and raping and murdering Hannah Witheridge, B.P.

Here's some spoon feeding seeing as you don't appear to be able to locate previous posts, I expect an apology on your accusation of being dishonest and I also expect complete dismissal of the article from you what http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781951-family-of-brits-murdered-in-thailand-say-evidence-convincing/page-48#entry8796989

Edited by thailandchilli

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ John Thailand John

"Nobody saying they had a witness saying Burmese -- clearly says Foreigners. Again you are focusing on the trivial and bending reality to try to promote the very implausible".

Actually the statement clearly says Foreigner.................not Foreigners................and if Pol Lt Gen Mamen was speaking in English it could be debated what he meant by the term Foreigner but as he was probably speaking in Thai...... The translation from Thai to English of the word Foreigner is Farang......or Falang............and no Thai refers to other Asians as Falang............ coffee1.gif

Edited by Willy Eckerslike

@ John Thailand John

"Nobody saying they had a witness saying Burmese -- clearly says Foreigners. Again you are focusing on the trivial and bending reality to try to promote the very implausible".

Actually the statement clearly says Foreigner.................not Foreigners................and if Pol Lt Gen Mamen was speaking in English it could be debated what he meant by the term Foreigner but as he was probably speaking in Thai...... The translation from Thai to English of the word Foreigner is Farang......or Falang............and no Thai refers to other Asians as Falang............ coffee1.gif

No, because farang refers specifically to foreigners of western origin, you just assume that was the word used and derive your conclusions from your assumptions while at the same time dismissing what was actually said.

"The translation from Thai to English of the word Foreigner is Farang"

There's a Thai language section in these forums, I suggest you go there and disabuse yourself of that notion.

Edited by AleG

@ John Thailand John

No, because farang refers specifically to foreigners of western origin, you just assume that was the word used and derive your conclusions from your assumptions while at the same time dismissing what was actually said.

There's a Thai language section in these forums, I suggest you go there and disabuse yourself of that notion.

chao tang pratet

rarely used

except in polite circles

easy to check the words he used

Thanks for that it is not a term I have come across, obviously moving in the wrong circles...........sad.png

Ok joking apart in your opinion would a Thai use the term Chaao Dtaang Bpra Thaeht...(Foreigner).........to describe other Asians?

Despite DNA Evidence Koh Tao Police Commissioner says Key Witness says Foreigner Killed British Tourists

27th September from

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/despite-dna-evidence-koh-tao-police-commissioner-says-key-witness-says-foreigner-killed-british-tourists.html

and this report on the same day from National Multimedia;

Police commander Mamen (chief of the police Region 8 command) said investigation is 85% complete. He said the police probe was not complicated, adding that luck was on their side as leads and tip offs about the killers were coming in continuously.

???

Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Panya Mamen has now reported that police investigators have obtained a key witness who said foreigner killed the two British tourists in Koh Tao island. The Nation Online website quoted Pol Lt Gen Panya Manen as telling the online newspapers today that the team of police investigators have met a key witness who claimed seeing foreigner killed the two tourists ... if confirmed, will be a significant turn of the probe which earlier focused only on locals and migrant workers after DNA testing revealed the mixed semen found inside Ms Hannah Witheridge belonged to Asians.

So as it turns out they do have witnesses that will be testifying along with other evidence, including the dna match in their case against the two foreign Asian males

WOW......w00t.gif Great news................so that means the B2 are innocent of Murder.........................and also means they are definitely being used as scape goats.........

So when do the RTP issue the request for extradition of the Murdering foreigner..????

Now I understand how some people can be so off in their beliefs regarding this case ... they read a story from months ago where police say they have a witness indicating it is a foreigner and that the dna is from Asians. Then they arrest two Asian Foreigners and somehow you think this would indicate the two foreign Asians in custody are innocent. Laughable if not so sad the way your logic works.

@ John Thailand John

Are there really people here acting like they understand Thailand that don't even understand the word farang? Worse they they thing the word foreigner means farang w00t.gifcrazy.gif

Anybody here 1 day should understand while Farang almost always refers to a foreigner, certainly not all foreigners are farangs. While migrant worker in Koh Tao, and most places, almost always refers to somebody who is a foreigner. In addition there are other nationalities besides Burmese that make up migrant workers in both Thailand and Koh Tao.

@ John Thailand John

And the report certainly doesn't say they have a witness that says it is a Falang... so your big circle or illogical nit picking an article from months ago to try to support your nonsense is just a waste of time distraction that only seems to help you avoid reality.

@ John Thailand John

The origin of the word farang as we can say, is debatable. To me it seems to be a slang more than anything to describe a Caucasian of European descent. It may have originated from the word 'farangcee'. Which stands for France. They just shorten it.

Most Thais refer to foreigner as "dang chad". And the proper way if written would not be farang for sure. And you are welcome to use Google translate to confirm.

This is another danger of people believing everything they read or blindly believing the source. It's why I think there is much to debate about this case.

That is why I see that this case is so troubling. As soon as they get closure to the truth, the other police does a back pedal and changes their tunes. As to cover up. For sure a farang or two may have some important info. And that is what majority of the Thais following the case has come up with as well. That is why CSILA is such a popular page for Thais, and now 'farang' or yet better, 'dang chad'.

@ John Thailand John

The origin of the word farang as we can say, is debatable. To me it seems to be a slang more than anything to describe a Caucasian of European descent. It may have originated from the word 'farangcee'. Which stands for France. They just shorten it.

Why does it matter? The word Farang was not used ... the word Foreigner was and the two suspects in custody are clearly foreign and of Asian decent as the same article states the knew from the DNA at the time the article was published more than 2 months ago.

@ John Thailand John

Why does it matter? The word Farang was not used ... the word Foreigner was and the two suspects in custody are clearly foreign and of Asian decent as the same article states the knew from the DNA at the time the article was published more than 2 months ago.

I don't know if it matters or not, but some how you are compel to respond to it. So maybe it does matter to you.

But if Thai witness did mention the word farang, then it describe a non Asian foreigner.

That's all I am saying.

I don't know if it matters or not, but some how you are compel to respond to it. So maybe it does matter to you.

But if Thai witness did mention the word farang, then it describe a non Asian foreigner.

That's all I am saying.

and if cows could fly ... is all I am saying

Edit: and that responding to something to point out it is BS certainly should be seen as somehow giving it credence unless of course you are living in a fairly tale world

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

Unless the author of the article is a complete amateur, then he distinctly refers to 3 groups of people. 'Locals', 'migrant workers' and 'foreigner'. In context of this article the author also uses the term 'foreigners' when referring to Hannah and David.

Read the whole article here http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/key-witness-says-foreigner-kills-british-tourists and if you still think that foreigner is referring to Burmese then you are a very special person indeed

"No further details were produced as to whether the witness is a male or female or the witness is a local or a foreigner, and how many were involved in the murder of the two foreigners."

Edited by thailandchilli

Unless the author of the article is a complete amateur, then he distinctly refers to 3 groups of people. 'Locals', 'migrant workers' and 'foreigner'. In context of this article the author also uses the term 'foreigners' when referring to Hannah and David.

Read the whole article here http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/key-witness-says-foreigner-kills-british-tourists and if you still think that foreigner is referring to Burmese then you are a very special person indeed

"No further details were produced as to whether the witness is a male or female or the witness is a local or a foreigner, and how many were involved in the murder of the two foreigners."

You beat me to it..............clap2.gif a much nicer reply than mine would have been..............whistling.gif also I am not so sure special is the right word either w00t.gif

Edit, if they did indeed have an eye witness on the 27th Sept, why did it take them 6 more days to arrest the two "Asian Foreigners".......?????

The J2 are very "special" persons instead. They read the same articles as do the rest of us but they come up with very different interpretations.

That's all I am saying.

and if cows could fly ... is all I am saying

Edit: and that responding to something to point out it is BS certainly should be seen as somehow giving it credence unless of course you are living in a fairly tale world

It appears to be that you bought "hook line and sinker" the police statement. And seems like you are trying to to make 'pig' fly.

I'm posting some old news again because I remember my uncle (RIP Reg) who used to be Chief Inspector of Norfolk constabulary telling me that learning history in school is very important because the present and the future are built on the past.

Sept 18

DVB news/B Post

DNA tests have failed to provide a match and police are still working to identify the brutal beach killer of two British tourists on Koh Tao, southern Thailand, early Monday.

Police had initially detained and questioned three male migrant workers from Burma, but DNA tests and other evidence have ruled them out of the investigation.

Police claim DNA from 2 men alongside that of Miss Witheridge has been discovered on a cigarette butt 50 yards from where her body was found. They say traces of at least one man’s DNA has been found on Miss Witheridge’s body.

Later it transpires there is evidence of one man’s DNA on the cigarette, and of two men in the victim’s body.

I trust the RTP have checked Mr Miller's 'smashed' phone for photographs that he himself may have taken on the evening he was murdered?

Maybe he too, along with the other 'mystery' person who is reported to have a photo of Miss Witheridge being hassled by the bar owner, had incriminating evidence on his phone? That is assuming the sim card was not removed/destroyed by someone wanting to destroy any evidence.

It could have been 'smashed' during his murder. Or by the police themselves. It could have been planted at the accommodation of the Burmese men by the police, or the real murderers.

There is a disturbing photo that has recently been posted on a FB page which shows David Miller with a black eye, which leads one to assume that he was punched at some point (which would support reports that he put up a fight before his death).

It seems to me that this "punch" caused both the black eye AND the cut underneath the eye.

Question for medical experts - can a "black eye" occur after death? If not, then the "punch" would have been inflicted while David was still alive which would suggest a fight. Unless David was on his back and his assailant sitting astride him, hard to imagine that the relatively short Burmese would have been able to punch him in the eye.

There is a disturbing photo that has recently been posted on a FB page which shows David Miller with a black eye, which leads one to assume that he was punched at some point (which would support reports that he put up a fight before his death).

It seems to me that this "punch" caused both the black eye AND the cut underneath the eye.

Question for medical experts - can a "black eye" occur after death? If not, then the "punch" would have been inflicted while David was still alive which would suggest a fight. Unless David was on his back and his assailant sitting astride him, hard to imagine that the relatively short Burmese would have been able to punch him in the eye.

Hard to imagine but easy enough to stage by the puppet masters

post-223227-0-37065300-1418551671_thumb.

Hard to imagine but easy enough to stage by the puppet masters

And a punch with one of those vile rings (whatever they're called) might be likely to cause both the bruise and the the cut at the same time.

Well, thank goodness, back on topic.

Do you guys realise that by responding to the dumnomic duo you are supporting

their combined deflection agenda?

Nothing they would like better than to discuss the interpretation of the English language

and ignore the real issues.

Please think before you reply to their one liners and baiting tactics.

Well, thank goodness, back on topic.

Do you guys realise that by responding to the dumnomic duo you are supporting

their combined deflection agenda?

Nothing they would like better than to discuss the interpretation of the English language

and ignore the real issues.

Please think before you reply to their one liners and baiting tactics.

The topic is the statements from the families, asking for an end to the speculation.

some of the headlines leading up to B2

Two foreign tourists were found dead on Sairee beach in Koh Tao island

KOH TAO: -- Two foreign tourists were found dead on Sairee beach in Koh Tao island in Surat Thani province Monday morning.
The bodies of a female and a male tourists were undressed. They have serious wounds on their heads, local police said.
Police said both were at their twenties and were believed to be Europeans.
15 September 2014,
Island On Lockdown After Gruesome Murder of British Tourists
The bodies were found at around 6.20 am by a group of Burmese workers who were cleaning the beach, Pol.Maj.Gen. Kiattipong said
The British man and woman were found dead near Hat Sai Ri Beach early this morning. The female tourist was partially naked and "slashed" to death, police say, while the naked male tourist had a serious wound on the back of his neck.
The two bodies were found 20 metres apart from each other, and approximately 30 metres away from a resort on the beach. A bloody hoe was also found in the area, leading police to suspect that it was the weapon used in the gruesome murders.

Murder probe as bodies of two Britons found naked in Thai resort
A bloodied hoe was found 35 metres (115 feet) from the murder scene, local police official Jakkrapan Kaewkhao told AFP.
This is a very cruel crime," Prachum Ruangthong, superintendent of Koh Phangan police station, told AFP, adding the bodies would be sent for forensic examination in Bangkok.
Witnesses tod police the pair were earlier seen dancing at a local bar, Prachum said.
Manhunt Over Gruesome Murder of 2 Tourists On Popular Island
The two bodies were found 20 metres apart from each other, and approximately 100 metres away from the nearest bar on the beach. A bloody hoe was also found in the area, leading police to suspect that it was used in the gruesome murders.
Witnesses said they saw the two tourists, believed to be a couple, drinking and dancing with other party-goers on the beach the previous night. The pair then left the party, presumably to take a stroll, according to witnesses.
Police believe the suspect may have attempted to sexually assault the female victim before she was killed.
September 15, 2014 2:38 pm
Surat Thani TAT chief urges police to speed up arrest of killers of two foreign tourists
The chief of Surat Thani office of the Tourism Authority of Thailand urged police to speed up arrest of killers of two western tourists on Koh Tao.
Prapas Inthasnapasat said the double murders could seriously affect Thai tourism.

Bodies of a western woman and an western man were found on a beach on Koh Tao Monday.
Two foreigners brutally murdered on Koh Tao
BANGKOK: -- Police were hunting on Monday for the killers of a foreign man and woman who were found brutally murdered on Koh Tao in Pangan district of Surat Thani province.
Surat Thani police chief Pol Lt Gen Punya Mamen boarded a helicopter to the island, which is one of Thailand most popular diving sites for foreigners. He ordered police to seal the island in a bid to find the killers.
It is believed that the female victim was raped before being murdered. Police are still trying to identify the bodies and where they come from.
Two British tourists found dead on Thai island of Koh Tao
There was a beach party on Sunday night attended by around 50 people on the small holiday island
1:09PM BST 15 Sep 2014
Thailand deaths: Police search for man after killings
16 September 2014
Police said they wanted to speak to a man, possibly a friend of the victims, who is thought to have left the island on Monday morning.
BANGKOK, September 15, 2014
Murder probe as bodies of two Britons found naked in Thai resort

A bloodied hoe was found 35 metres (115 feet) from the murder scene, local police official Jakkrapan Kaewkhao told AFP.

"They were murdered and found naked on the beach. The woman had three wounds on her face and the man had four wounds on his back," he added.

by Apilaporn VECHAKIJ AFP
September 15, 2014
Two foreign tourists robbed and killed on Tao island

They were however killed when they attempted to resist the robbery as the male victim’s back of the head was crushed believed by a hard object and the woman’s face was also smashed, also believed by a hard object.

Pol Lt-Gen Panya Mamen, commissioner of 8th regional provincial police and Pol Maj-Gen Kiatpong Khaosam-ang, commander of Surat Thani provincial police, accompanied by forensic experts went to the crime scene this morning after being notified of the murder.
Thailand deaths: Police search for man after killings

Police in Thailand are continuing to search for a man they want to speak to in connection with the deaths of two British tourists.

The bodies of David Miller, 24, from Jersey, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk, were found on a beach on the island of Koh Tao on Monday.
Police said they wanted to speak to a man, possibly a friend of the victims, who is thought to have left the island on Monday morning.
British tourists murdered in Thailand
A nationwide manhunt was reportedly under way for a third British backpacker whom police suspect of carrying out the attack before fleeing the island.
2014-09-16
Surat police detain three Myanmar workers for questioning in connection with Britons murder
BANGKOK: -- Surat Thani provincial police chief said Tuesday that the police have detained three Myanmar workers for questioning after suspecting they might be involved in the brutal murder of the two British tourists on Sairee beach in Koh Tao Sunday night.
Pol Maj- Gen Kiatipong Khoasamarng said the police have at first targeted on foreign labour working in Koh Tao and now are closing in a group of suspects who are Myanmar workers.
They had liquor drinks near the scene on Sunday night before the two bodies would be found.
(Photo : ThaiPBS file)
Thai police question three Myanmar men over murder of British pair
BANGKOK, September 16, 2014
BANGKOK, September 16, 2014 (AFP) - Thai police Tuesday questioned three Myanmar men over the murder of two British tourists on the southern resort island of Koh Tao, as their bodies were due to arrive in Bangkok for forensic tests.
David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were found naked and beaten to death early Monday near a beachside bungalow on the island, a diving hot-spot near Koh Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand.
A bloodied hoe was discovered 35 metres (yards) from the murder scene.
Thai PM orders speeded up probe into British tourists’ murder

BANGKOK, Sept 16 -- Prime Minister Gen Prayuth Chan-o-cha has ordered the Thai authorities to speed up their investigation into the murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao Island in the southern province of Surat Thani.

Gen Prayuth told journalists before attending today's cabinet meeting that the incident has tarnished Thailand’s tourism image, stressing that police officers have been ordered to intensify the hunt for the suspects in the double murder.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, in charge of internal security, also urged police and relevant authorities on the island to speed up search for the murderers.

Unclothed bodies of two British nationals with multiple wounds were discovered on a beach near a bungalow on the island early Monday morning.

(MCOT online news)

Three Myanmar workers nabbed in connection with death of two British nationals
SURAT THANI, Sept 16 -- Three Myanmar labourers were brought in by the Thai authorities for questioning, after witnesses said the three men were seen drinking alcoholic drinks near the crime scene.
Meanwhile, a representative has been sent from the British Embassy in Thailand to follow up the case of the two British tourists whom were murdered while vacationing on Ko Tao Island in southern Surat Thani province.
More than 30 police officers from the Ko Pha-ngan Island Police Station raided a worker's bungalow near the crime scene earlier today, and detained three Myanmar workers, after witnesses revealed that the three suspects were drinking alcoholic drinks near the site during the time the murders took place.
(MCOT online news)
2014-09-17 00:22:53
Hunt for killers of British pair goes on after Thai police free Myanmar suspects
"They were very far from the scene... it was probably not them," he said, adding DNA samples had been collected from the men.
He did not give details of any further leads as the manhunt on the small, normally tranquil island stretched into a second day without an arrest.
2014-09-17
Police question backpacker as focus shifts to blonde hair found in victim's hand
BANGKOK: -- Police are questioning another Western backpacker while they attempt to establish whether a single strand of blonde hair found in the hand of Koh Tao murder victim Hannah Witheridge belongs to the person who killed her and David Miller.
The institute of Forensic Medicine will attempt to match the DNA in the golden hair to other suspects. So far, this strand of hair has been proven to not belong to either victim, police said.
September 17, 2014
Autopsies completed on British murder victims
Water was found in Miller's lungs, his body
showed traces of being dragged and there were
wounds on the back of his hands, Pornchai said.
The findings indicate that that he fought with his
attackers, was beaten and then drowned, the
doctor said.
The autopsy on the body of Hannah Witheridge,
whose body was found near Miller's, showed she
also had trauma to the head. There were also
traces of recent sexual activity and semen was
found in her vagina and anus.
September 18, 2014
DNA tests clear suspects of murdering British tourists in Koh Tao, Thailand

Police believe Mr Miller became involved in a fierce fight with the attackers to protect Ms Witheridge, who he had met while they were staying at the same bungalows on the island.

He had wounds on his hands.

Assistant national police chief Jarumporn Suramanee told reporters two sets of DNA that were found both on Ms Withridge's body and on a cigarette butt near the scene did not match samples taken from three foreigners and nine migrant workers who had been questioned.

Thu, September 18, 2014
We’ve no clue who killed Britons, say Thai police

A bloodstained garden hoe, believed to be the murder weapon, was found nearby.

Yesterday one of Thailand’s most senior police officers arrived on Koh Tao to investigate the case. Police General Jarumporn Suramanee insisted he was “sure” the killers would be caught.

However, he admitted he had “no idea” who murdered them or whether the killer had fled the island.

Friday 19 September 2014
Thailand murders: no DNA link to men questioned so far

Thai police investigating the murder on a beach of two British tourists have ruled out a link between DNA found on one of the bodies and any of the men they have so far questioned.

Relatives of one of the victims, Hannah Witheridge, 23, paid tribute to her as they flew in to the country to meet investigators.

In a statement, they said: "She was selfless and caring and made each and every day that little bit more wonderful. Our family are utterly devastated and shocked by what has happened to our beautiful Hannah. To lose her in the way that we have is beyond comprehension."

DNA tests reveal three killers in tourist murder inquiry
Evidence gathered from witnesses and the crime scene, including DNA traces found on cigarette butts left near the bodies, now suggests the involvement of more than two people, police say.

"From the available evidence, we believe that there were more than two attackers," Police Lieutenant General Panya Mamen was quoted as saying by Thailand's The Nation newspaper yesterday.

Earlier, the autopsy on Witheridge found semen from two people but subsequent DNA tests found no matches to any of the seven people detained — six Myanmar labourers and one Briton — shortly after the murders.

A cigarette butt found near the bodies on Friday contained the DNA of Witheridge and another person. It was believed the second person was someone she knew because the cigarette was shared.

Pol Gen Somyot was in Koh Tao on Saturday to follow up on the investigation.

22 September 2014 Thai Police Want To DNA Test Koh Tao Island Thai police have announced they want to carry out DNA tests on every male on the island Koh Tao, as part of their investigation into the deaths of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller.
September 23, 2014
Mafia-Style Family Emerged in Thailand
There are reportedly Mafia-style families controlling Thailand - this information emerged in the wake of mystery surrounding the murder of British couple David Miller and Hannah Witheridge in Koh Tao Island. British Sean McAnna, friend of the couple who was taken into custody for questioning but was let go after DNA mismatched, had spoken of how two Thai men threatened him Mafia-style.
DNA sample collection continues in Ko Tao tourists murder case
SURAT THANI, Sept 29 -- The Thai authorities continue collecting samples for DNA tests in the search for suspects in the murder of two British tourists on the southern island of Ko Tao in this province on September 15.
This morning authorities collected samples from 22 more people for DNA tests.
Fifteen days have passed since the murder but authorities have not arrested a suspect.
Burmese migrants report Thai police beatings during murder investigation on Koh Tao Submitted by editor1 on Sat, 27/09/2014 - 14:13

The Irawaddy - At least two Burmese migrant workers were beaten by Thai police during their investigation into the murder of two British tourists on the southern Thai island of Koh Tao, one of the alleged victims has claimed.

Si Thu, a Burmese migrant who was interrogated by police on Sept. 19, told The Irrawaddy, “While I was answering [the questions of police], a Thai policeman showed a photo to another detainee called Lin Lin and asked if it was his photo. He answered no and the policeman kneed him in the back, saying he was lying.
Oct 3 2004

Somyot attributed the crime to sexual jealousy.

"The suspects saw them kissing and were aroused, so they attacked and got rid of the man and proceeded to rape the female victim."

Migrant workers, particularly those from Myanmar, are often used as scapegoats for crimes in Thailand.

Two Myanmar men have DNA matches to murdered British tourists

Two Myanmar workers have confessed to killing two British tourists in Thailand and a DNA match has been found, police said, adding that a case that damaged the country's tourism industry had almost been resolved.

Thailand, which generates almost 10 percent of gross domestic product from tourism, is still under martial law after a May 22 coup that scared off some tourists.

The bodies of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were discovered on a beach on Koh Tao, or Turtle Island, in the south of the country on September 15, close to the hotel where they had been staying.

Oct 10, 2014
Bizarre Koh Tao murders investigation leaves many questions unanswered
But on Thursday, Oct. 9, the men reportedly retracted their confessions and told lawyer Aung Myo Thant that they were “beaten and threatened with electrocution in order to confess,” The Telegraph reported. Aung Myo Thant reportedly said the men “were a really pitiful sight” and that, “their bodies had all sorts of bruises.” British officials and Hannah Witheridge’s family insinuated that they are not confident the right men are in custody.
31 october 2014
Lawyer expresses doubts over new DNA test offer
BANGKOK: -- Thailand's offer to conduct a new DNA test on two Myanmar suspects accused of murdering two British tourists on Koh Tao can create problem for the suspects, according to lawyer Aung Myo Than.
Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on October 29 that they have no problem to conduct a new DNA test if critics expressed doubts about the DNA results were not fair. If Thailand conducts a new DNA test, they have to inform the lawyers of the defendants in advance and he hasn't received any letter from the Thai authorities, the lawyer told Daily Eleven.
"Thai police should make sure to have concrete evidence before the suspects are charged in court as they may face the death penalty. The police submitted DNA test as the only evidence and not a single witness was present. That's why Koh Samui prosecutors returned the case to Thai police to find further evidence.
Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy