Suvarnabhumi Airport enhance services to travellers – new automatic taxi kiosks now open

Lite Beer

Suvarnabhumi Airport enhance services to travellers – new automatic taxi kiosks now open

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s main gateway, Suvarnabhumi Airport has launched the newly-installed automatic queue-card kiosks that aim to improve travellers’ access to taxi services, a move praised by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) as helping to enhance the image of the kingdom as a welcoming tourist destination.

Mr. Thawatchai Arunyik, Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said, “The launch of these automatic queue-card taxi kiosks will facilitate passengers using the taxi services at the Airport, to ensure that all taxis are acting in a welcoming manner to all tourists and travellers, and that their vehicles are safe and up to international standards.”

The 10 new kiosks, to be found outside Gates 4 and 7 on the first floor of Suvarnabhumi Airport’s terminal building, are designed to cut waiting times to as little as five seconds by managing the queues and directing passengers to numbered taxi ranks, at the press of a button. Passengers in groups or with many bags will be able to opt for one of the larger taxis to ensure they have enough space. These methods will reduce the processing time to allocate the taxi.

Mr. Thawatchai said, “In the initial state, there are staff on standby these taxi kiosks to help obtain the queue cards for passengers. They help to expedite the queues, and in a country well-known for great hospitality as Thailand, these well-groomed and hospitable staff act as one of the first hosts that are ready to greet welcome to all tourists and travellers arriving at our country’s first doorstep.”

Under the new computerised system, taxi drivers will have to take passengers on a first-come-first-served basis to any destination, either to Bangkok downtown or to other destinations; such as, Pattaya. Passengers are required to pay the fee by the metre system, and are subject to a 50-Baht Airport taxi surcharge. In addition, the slip printed automatically by the new system will record all details of the taxi drivers and their vehicles, allowing officials to locate them instantly in case of a lost item.

Contact Information
International Public Relations Division
Tourism Authority of Thailand
Tel: +66 (0) 2250 5500 ext. 4545-48
Fax: +66 (0) 2253 7419
E-mail: [email protected]
Facebook: TAT Newsroom
Twitter: TAT Newsroom

– See more at: http://www.tatnews.org/suvarnabhumi-airport-enhance-services-travellers-new-automatic-taxi-kiosks-now-open/#sthash.EZi4rbkt.dpuf

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-12-06

And now, with no despatchers present to convert foreign-accented versions of Thai addresses into something the driver understands, we can be sure that all incoming passengers will be delivered to the correct address and that all meters will be activated on departure. There is absolutely no prospect that the driver will relieve the passenger of the machine-generated slip of paper that identifies him/his cab. And, of course, the time spent in the single queue for access to a terminal will be less than that spent before queueing at a despatcher's desk.

Congratulations K Thawatchai.

PS: How much did the new terminals and dinky lights cost?

• Like 2

"Mr. Thawatchai said, “In the initial state, there are staff on standby these taxi kiosks to help obtain the queue cards for passengers. They help to expedite the queues, and in a country well-known for great hospitality as Thailand, these well-groomed and hospitable staff act as one of the first hosts that are ready to greet welcome to all tourists and travellers arriving at our country’s first doorstep.”

How does a machine provide all of the above.

There's been some queue system changes at Don Muang but in reality not much has changed.

For a while there was a beautiful girl standing near each taxi but doing nothing whatever:

- To ensure first come first served,

- To ask passengers where they are going,

- To ensure luggage is loaded, etc etc etc.

And a whole step backwards, most tourist passengers get into a taxi and are then faced with language difficulties.

I used the new system yesterday. There was 1 girl handing out tickets from 1 of the 5 or 6 machines. You get given a number then walk down to that taxi.

When I asked how much it would cost to Pattaya she told me to talk with the driver but it would be about THB 1300. I found the taxi andhe quoted me THB 1300 as well. That is THB 200 less than the old price.

I didn't ask for a meter price and don't know if he would have given me one for a longer trip like Pattaya either.

came through yesterday

enter the queuing area ( same as old area).. go to girl.. tell her destination.. she taps computer.. u get print out ticket... you then wander along the kerb to "lane number"..mine was 15..no taxi there..waited two minutes taxi arrives...he has to use swipe card to exit taxi area...you retain ticket with taxi driver name, taxi number...it has a suggestions area to fill in if you were overcharged, switched off meter, others....has number to call with complaints...in small type at bottom it explains about extra 50 baht for taxi for queuing at airport..also explains passengers pays tollways...

amazing Thailand...

I used the new system yesterday. There was 1 girl handing out tickets from 1 of the 5 or 6 machines. You get given a number then walk down to that taxi.

When I asked how much it would cost to Pattaya she told me to talk with the driver but it would be about THB 1300. I found the taxi andhe quoted me THB 1300 as well. That is THB 200 less than the old price.

I didn't ask for a meter price and don't know if he would have given me one for a longer trip like Pattaya either.

I am surprised. ...

my taxi drivers charged me 1000 bht to Pattaya....4 months ago in span of 8 months when I needed to travel to neighbouring countries.

Of course I always gave them extra 200 bht ..for extra waiting luggage etc.

Thete is Mr. Taxi company where I did started with a 1 year ago and they charged me 1000 also.

walked out of the terminal, over to the taxi stand she gave me a slip with #37. Now all the taxis are u der a highlighted number, had to walk 39 mertres tothe taxi driver. Beforethere was the driver helping you with your luggage,, now I see fewer people working the stations, usually 4 or 5, now was just 2 working.

And now, with no despatchers present to convert foreign-accented versions of Thai addresses into something the driver understands, we can be sure that all incoming passengers will be delivered to the correct address and that all meters will be activated on departure. There is absolutely no prospect that the driver will relieve the passenger of the machine-generated slip of paper that identifies him/his cab. And, of course, the time spent in the single queue for access to a terminal will be less than that spent before queueing at a despatcher's desk.

Quite correct. I used one of these things on 22 November, with the help of an attendant. However, when I got to the taxi, the driver took the slip that had been spit out of the machine, never used his meter and charged me 500 baht. The last time in Bangkok, before the machines, the driver used the meter and charged me 375 baht to the same hotel. So, the scams are back because no one is watching.

What BS!

And a whole step backwards, most tourist passengers get into a taxi and are then faced with language difficulties.

Easy to deal with - Carry slip of paper with PRINTED address of where your going, in Thai and also the accommodation phone number as well. If you fail to plan then you plan to fail. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

sounds good, hopfully DM next

After a flight back to Bangkok and arriving DM, I just want to take a taxi and get home - but the queue there is laways long and chaotic - I end up taking the A1 bus to Mo Chit BTS and skytrain home. I don't mind the extra expense of a taxi for the convenience - but I don't want to battle the long lines.

Brothers just flew in to visit me, had to have wheelchair because hes disabled. The guy pushing him took him to the rank ans sorted his ticket out and got him into the taxi. Driver says 500 baht , brother says no use the meter please, driver says no meter in disabled taxi but I will take you for 400 baht. (normal metered fare is 130) Brother, tired and just wanted to get here agrees. When my brother tells me this I said to him ok give me the ticket and I will report him. My brother then said ahh he told me I had to give him the ticket back when the journey was complete. So it did not take the scamming bstards long to get round this

Quite correct. I used one of these things on 22 November, with the help of an attendant. However, when I got to the taxi, the driver took the slip that had been spit out of the machine, never used his meter and charged me 500 baht. The last time in Bangkok, before the machines, the driver used the meter and charged me 375 baht to the same hotel. So, the scams are back because no one is watching.

What BS!

why you gave him the slip that is supposed to be kept by the PAX you naive silly ;-)

so even there is a machine, the 50 baht scam still continues ...

what SCAM are you talking about ? it is the most normal thing that rides from the Airport in Asia have a surcharge on it as you get some sort of assistance from local staff.

In several countries here, you even pay a surcharge for rides TO the Airport (Malaysia, Singapore f.e.).

I can not help myself but it seems there are notorious whiners out there in Thailand who will even consider it a scam if they have to pay for the drinks they have in a Pub or Bar.

I used it on two occasions recently. I loved it.

1st visit: Walk up and there were about 8 people in front of me, yet there are four machines. I just touched the screen where it said to (very obvious) and it kicks out a ticket that looks like a long receipt. On the receipt, in large numbers indicates what lane to proceed to in order to get your cab. The cab driver was very professional and spoke great English. He had his meter covered and I told him I wanted meter. Total fare was around 300 baht with tip (rounded up) to Terminal 21 in Bangkok.

2nd visit: Walk up and there were about 20 people in front of me, yet only 3 machines as one was out of order. I looked down at the other taxi line (and machines) and there was only 2 people there, so I walked over pushed the touch screen, got my ticket, met my driver waiting for me, and off we went as he had the meter ready as I got in. Total cost to again was 300 baht with tip rounded up to go near Central World.

I was actually thinking I wish all taxi lines were this easy and organized. I think for those who had some negative comments would change their mind if they try it.

Forgot to mention there was an attendant there, but she was really on there to help people if they could not do it on there own, due to not be tech savvy or not being able to read English.

Edited by PoodThaiMaiDai

Brothers just flew in to visit me, had to have wheelchair because hes disabled. The guy pushing him took him to the rank ans sorted his ticket out and got him into the taxi. Driver says 500 baht , brother says no use the meter please, driver says no meter in disabled taxi but I will take you for 400 baht. (normal metered fare is 130) Brother, tired and just wanted to get here agrees. When my brother tells me this I said to him ok give me the ticket and I will report him. My brother then said ahh he told me I had to give him the ticket back when the journey was complete. So it did not take the scamming bstards long to get round this

It needs something printed on the ticket like'' do not give to driver keep ticket at end of journey''

I've been lucky and have never had a problem at the old queue. Never a long wait and always taken directly to my preferred location. I have however heard complaints from others who were not so lucky. Hopefully this is indeed an improvement as marketed.

Used it yesterday, looks good but still getting nowhere,

Went to our numbered rank, loaded bags, got in, moving away, hey put the meter on, "DOES NOT WORK Bht 500".

Could not be bothered arguing so continued.

No system will work until the mind set changes

No thanks, I think I will continue to walk up to Level 4 Departures and get a taxi there. Easier, simpler, faster, always get the meter and I can choose the taxi and driver that I want.

Edited by bubba

I wonder about the long-term viability of those kiosks. Last night two of the four screens where I got my taxi from were out of action. The two that were working were staffed so the line moved quickly and I was in my taxi in only three minutes. Thought I was in for a much longer wait, after one immigration hall was full, with staff directing passengers to the other one, also close to overflowing, when I arrived.

Edited by kkerry

What a disaster of a system! I have been through 3 times in the last 2 weeks and every time it has been a shit fight. Long queues do move but sooo much slower than the old system

Funny only 2 of the 5 computer dispatch units were working, the other 3 just had the Windows 7 logo (fail). The attendant just presses the button for you and hands you a ticket. I COULD DO THAT. In the past you would tell them where you were going and they would write it or tell the driver in Thai.

Which Minister(s) got the kickbacks for this installation?

What a disaster of a system! I have been through 3 times in the last 2 weeks and every time it has been a shit fight. Long queues do move but sooo much slower than the old system

Funny only 2 of the 5 computer dispatch units were working, the other 3 just had the Windows 7 logo (fail). The attendant just presses the button for you and hands you a ticket. I COULD DO THAT. In the past you would tell them where you were going and they would write it or tell the driver in Thai.

Which Minister(s) got the kickbacks for this installation?

Interestingly, a post four days prior to yours say that only two of the terminals were functional. So after four days and thousands of tourists through the queue, they still ad not fixed it?

You really might want to try upstairs at Level 4 departures next time. Never a problem there. And as a bonus, you do not have to pay the 50 baht airport fee to subsidise the broken taxi terminals downstairs!